Author Topic: Samsung Galaxy Phones...  (Read 11443 times)

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Samsung Galaxy Phones...
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2016, 02:18:21 pm »
Got the S7 yesterday. Feels and looks nice compared to my S5.  Got the VR Gear as well.

Strange what you get used to. When I went from my S3 to the S5 I hated the S5 after a week or so because of its size/weight. Now its just the norm. I was using my old S3 the other day and it felt like a toy :-)

What do you do with the VR Gear? Seen the adverts but not really looked into the capabilities yet

Thanks

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2016, 03:27:32 pm »

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #82 on: April 2, 2016, 11:09:04 am »
Can anyone help - my Samsung Galaxy Ace 4 is struggling to connect to my home wifi. I have full signal on every other device but it's getting one bar on the phone and is hardly working, I can't refresh any internet pages. I have tried restarting the phone and wifi, resetting the router password on the phone, restarting the router, all sorts. Is it a problem with the phone itself? It did it once before but resetting the router password on it seemed to help. It's the second Ace 4 I've had and they have both always struggled to get past 2 bars on my home wifi for some reason.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #83 on: April 2, 2016, 02:12:19 pm »
Can anyone help - my Samsung Galaxy Ace 4 is struggling to connect to my home wifi. I have full signal on every other device but it's getting one bar on the phone and is hardly working, I can't refresh any internet pages. I have tried restarting the phone and wifi, resetting the router password on the phone, restarting the router, all sorts. Is it a problem with the phone itself? It did it once before but resetting the router password on it seemed to help. It's the second Ace 4 I've had and they have both always struggled to get past 2 bars on my home wifi for some reason.

Unfortunately the Ace 4 has a really shitty antenna and support for only2.4 ghz band. Also a poor 1 ghz processor and a measly 512 mb ram doesnt help either.

Phuk yoo

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: April 3, 2016, 08:25:09 pm »
Unfortunately the Ace 4 has a really shitty antenna and support for only2.4 ghz band. Also a poor 1 ghz processor and a measly 512 mb ram doesnt help either.

Weirdly, I turned the wifi off my other phone and immediately it came back on my Samsung. Dunno why this should happen as I know next to nothing about technology but whatever!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #85 on: April 4, 2016, 07:59:46 am »
Weirdly, I turned the wifi off my other phone and immediately it came back on my Samsung. Dunno why this should happen as I know next to nothing about technology but whatever!

In that case it is probably an interference issue with the 2.4 GHZ band since you have multiple devices connected on the same frequency band. 

What you can do is try connecting your other phone/tablet/device on the 5GHZ band (provided your device supports it) to reduce congestion on the 2.4 band.  See if that solves the problem permanently.

If you are using multiple devices, it always makes sense to divide your wifi usage betwen the two bands to prevent congestion and interference.

Phuk yoo

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: April 4, 2016, 09:53:27 pm »
In that case it is probably an interference issue with the 2.4 GHZ band since you have multiple devices connected on the same frequency band. 

What you can do is try connecting your other phone/tablet/device on the 5GHZ band (provided your device supports it) to reduce congestion on the 2.4 band.  See if that solves the problem permanently.

If you are using multiple devices, it always makes sense to divide your wifi usage betwen the two bands to prevent congestion and interference.

Thanks for the reply, how would I do the highlighted bit? My other phone is an HTC One if this helps. Like I said before, I'm a bit dense on this kind of stuff so feel free to tell me in very basic terms!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #87 on: April 5, 2016, 05:58:43 am »
Thanks for the reply, how would I do the highlighted bit? My other phone is an HTC One if this helps. Like I said before, I'm a bit dense on this kind of stuff so feel free to tell me in very basic terms!

HTC One DOES support 5 GHZ band so it should be ok.

This is what you can do.  Check your Htc one's wifi networks in the 'settings' section under 'wifi'. If you have a dual band router, what it should show you in the list of networks is your home connection twice, one with a 2.4 ghz suffix, the other with 5ghz. So you'll basically have two networks showing in your list of available connections and both of them will be your home wifi at the two different bands.

What you ca do then is choose the 5ghz band for the Htc One and keep using that band whenever you want to use the internet. You can continue using the 2.4ghz band for your Samsung, it should not slow down any more.

If you are not getting two wifi signals for your home wifi, it means your router does not have the ability to broadcast at 5ghz frequency. Your router needs to be a dual band router. Most half decent routers do usually are dual band so I am guessing you should have one.

If the 5ghz band is not available, the best you can do is not use both of your phone at the same time on your home wifi. Or invest in a new router.

Give it a try...
Phuk yoo

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: April 5, 2016, 09:39:45 pm »
HTC One DOES support 5 GHZ band so it should be ok.

This is what you can do.  Check your Htc one's wifi networks in the 'settings' section under 'wifi'. If you have a dual band router, what it should show you in the list of networks is your home connection twice, one with a 2.4 ghz suffix, the other with 5ghz. So you'll basically have two networks showing in your list of available connections and both of them will be your home wifi at the two different bands.

What you ca do then is choose the 5ghz band for the Htc One and keep using that band whenever you want to use the internet. You can continue using the 2.4ghz band for your Samsung, it should not slow down any more.

If you are not getting two wifi signals for your home wifi, it means your router does not have the ability to broadcast at 5ghz frequency. Your router needs to be a dual band router. Most half decent routers do usually are dual band so I am guessing you should have one.

If the 5ghz band is not available, the best you can do is not use both of your phone at the same time on your home wifi. Or invest in a new router.

Give it a try...

Thanks a lot for your help and patience. :wave

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #89 on: April 6, 2016, 06:10:38 am »
Thanks a lot for your help and patience. :wave

No problem. Let us know if the issue is sorted or not
Phuk yoo

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2017, 09:17:05 am »
Loving my S7 so far but something has started happening and I don't understand why

When the phone is facing down the screen goes black until I turn it back up again . kinda annoying when I want to use my phone lying in bed

Anyone know how to fix this
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2017, 05:00:36 pm »
Loving my S7 so far but something has started happening and I don't understand why

When the phone is facing down the screen goes black until I turn it back up again . kinda annoying when I want to use my phone lying in bed

Anyone know how to fix this

a quick google suggests this:

Settings > Display > and turn off Smart Stay

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2017, 08:50:26 am »
a quick google suggests this:

Settings > Display > and turn off Smart Stay

Yeah got that turned off, starting to think maybe there's a loose wire in the phone or something . gonna take it the shop
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #93 on: April 7, 2017, 04:08:10 pm »
Ever since the 6.0.1 update, my Samsung galaxy s6 has been draining power like crazy. With Wifi at home, it used to go down at 5-7% overnight. But now, it loses about 20% and it really does my head.

Android OS seems to be the culprit. It keeps running overnight. A quick google search indicates that I may not be alone. But anyone here face the same problem?

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: April 7, 2017, 04:30:29 pm »
Ever since the 6.0.1 update, my Samsung galaxy s6 has been draining power like crazy. With Wifi at home, it used to go down at 5-7% overnight. But now, it loses about 20% and it really does my head.

Android OS seems to be the culprit. It keeps running overnight. A quick google search indicates that I may not be alone. But anyone here face the same problem?

How old is the phone? It's very possible that the battery is beginning to die. I wouldn't be at all surprised, especially if the phone is more than 18 months old (which is plausible given the model) and you use it and charge it daily.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #95 on: April 7, 2017, 05:02:00 pm »
How old is the phone? It's very possible that the battery is beginning to die. I wouldn't be at all surprised, especially if the phone is more than 18 months old (which is plausible given the model) and you use it and charge it daily.

It's about 18 months old. July 2015 I think it was when I bought it.
But that's pathetic if the battery shows signs of usage within 2 years. I only charge it when it comes to about 15% and almost never overnight. It seems ridiculous that a premium flagship phone from Samsung would show signs of wear within 2 years.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: April 7, 2017, 05:35:40 pm »
It's about 18 months old. July 2015 I think it was when I bought it.
But that's pathetic if the battery shows signs of usage within 2 years. I only charge it when it comes to about 15% and almost never overnight. It seems ridiculous that a premium flagship phone from Samsung would show signs of wear within 2 years.

It's nothing to do with Samsung; it's to do with the general state of battery tech and one of the biggest limitations in design.

This is a good summary: https://www.engadget.com/2015/03/23/lithium-ion-battery-nanoscale-view/

It's nothing to do with when you charge it or how you charge it, it's really how often. Just like anything wears over time, so does a battery. I had to have my iPhone battery replaced 3 times and have replaced my Note 4 battery twice.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 8, 2017, 09:19:28 am »
It's nothing to do with Samsung; it's to do with the general state of battery tech and one of the biggest limitations in design.

This is a good summary: https://www.engadget.com/2015/03/23/lithium-ion-battery-nanoscale-view/

It's nothing to do with when you charge it or how you charge it, it's really how often. Just like anything wears over time, so does a battery. I had to have my iPhone battery replaced 3 times and have replaced my Note 4 battery twice.

I'm on a note 4 and my battery has gone appalling. Shuts off sometimes when I open an app with about 29 percent left and won't turn back on.  Due an upgrade and thinking about the s8+ anyway and using this as a back up phone.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 8, 2017, 10:56:09 am »
I'm on a note 4 and my battery has gone appalling. Shuts off sometimes when I open an app with about 29 percent left and won't turn back on.  Due an upgrade and thinking about the s8+ anyway and using this as a back up phone.

I use these now - think they're a tenner off Amazon:

https://www.anker.com/products/A6090031

Same thing happened to me (the random turning off) and it turned out the battery was needing a visit to Dignitas.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: April 8, 2017, 11:10:30 am »
I use these now - think they're a tenner off Amazon:

https://www.anker.com/products/A6090031

Same thing happened to me (the random turning off) and it turned out the battery was needing a visit to Dignitas.

I'll be getting one. Already own a few anker products so know how good there stuff is. Nice one for that

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: April 8, 2017, 08:00:03 pm »
I'll be getting one. Already own a few anker products so know how good there stuff is. Nice one for that

No worries - because they're not proprietary, they charge a touch slower than the official battery with the official charger but still do 50% in about half an hour.

Toying with getting an S8 at the moment, but genuinely feel that the Note 4 stands up to comparison with most of the modern phones, despite being 3 years old.