Author Topic: FSG (*)  (Read 831937 times)

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Re: FSG
« Reply #3160 on: February 7, 2017, 11:23:31 am »
Exactly.

Rodgers had 13-14 players he trusted in 13/14, many of them either old and past their prime (Toure, Johnson, Gerrard) or young and years away from their prime (Flanagan, Sterling, Coutinho). He had to play Sturridge through injury at the end of the season, and even the unstoppable Suarez slowed down in the second half of the season, probably due to the toll on his body of playing all game, every game.

The ultimate conclusion is this though. If Jurgen Klopp of all people can't make their model work, then i'm sorry but the model has to fundamentally change or they have to go. Because if Klopp can't turn the water into wine then nobody in the world will, and we're stuck in perpetual mediocrity with the occasional crazy cup run or go at the league

Agree with these parts.
I still think they haven't been bad and have done some decent things in their time (Kenny, commercial success, Klopp, main stand build)
But there is definite room for improvement....footballing CEO, relationship with fans and strategy on transfers is questionable

They have experience now in running the club, their decisions going forward I'd hope are a lot wiser

Of course it's stronger, little doubt about that. Doesn't mean they have leveraged that additional value in any way, of course.

just out of curiosity....in your opinion what do you think they gain from owning our club? as they are not fans of the sport in any way.....

Seems a bit far-fetched to think they are not in this for something if you think they won't be sold in next 5 years. Or are not receiving some kind of profit.....even if it isn't in the accounts...
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline sambhi92

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Round the Fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #3161 on: February 7, 2017, 11:27:15 am »
I'd be staggered if that goes ahead.

Be more surprised if we didn't extend it. FSG know increasing the stadium to 60,000+ will be bring in more money, demand is obviously there. As with everything, we doing shit it doesn't matter. We doing well then everyone is happy.
Round the Fields of Anfield Road

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3162 on: February 7, 2017, 11:29:10 am »
when we're supposed to be the 9th richest club in the world

This seems to be becoming the most recent buzz phrase being thrown about without people really thinking what it means.

We are not the 9th richest club, we have the 9th highest revenue. This doesn't mean we have the ability to spend the 9th most amount of transfer and wages, as it ignores any sort of operating costs.

For the record, the year we signed Aspas we made a £49.8m loss in the accounts, following a £40.5m the year before that, and a £49.3m loss the year before that, and a £19.9m loss the year before that, and a £16.1m loss the year before that....

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3163 on: February 7, 2017, 11:30:19 am »
They're nowhere near as bad as Hicks and Gillett but it's clear that FSG are only interested in us to make a bit of money.

I think they'll be gone within a year or two personally, having sold us for a nice healthy profit.

The latest Forbes valuations valued the club at $1.55bn that's £1.25bn. There is nobody out there that would be remotely interested in us at that price.

So they'll ride along with the current levels of investment, and as they've proven they can make profits without having to be winning trophies. Absolute perfect storm for this who want them out

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3164 on: February 7, 2017, 11:32:41 am »
Be more surprised if we didn't extend it. FSG know increasing the stadium to 60,000+ will be bring in more money, demand is obviously there. As with everything, we doing shit it doesn't matter. We doing well then everyone is happy.

They've already said that Anny Road extension is not palatable due to the fact they cant put corporate seats into it, and the only way for them to cover their costs would be to massively increase ticket prices

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3165 on: February 7, 2017, 11:33:50 am »
just out of curiosity....in your opinion what do you think they gain from owning our club? as they are not fans of the sport in any way.....

Seems a bit far-fetched to think they are not in this for something if you think they won't be sold in next 5 years. Or are not receiving some kind of profit.....even if it isn't in the accounts...

No, they are in it for a profit at some stage, I'm certainly not saying they would be happy to make a loss or anything like that. I'm more saying I don't personally think they'll take that profit in the short term, and will be happy to play a long game.

If the profits aren't in the accounts then they aren't coming from revenue coming into the club. Now unless you're suggesting something illegal like kickbacks or side deals then I highly doubt they are seeing any profit from us currently beyond the benefit of the club being associated with their profit making companies such as FSM and NESN.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3166 on: February 7, 2017, 11:34:14 am »
They've already said that Anny Road extension is not palatable due to the fact they cant put corporate seats into it, and the only way for them to cover their costs would be to massively increase ticket prices

Not quite what was said. At all, in fact.

Offline Jfor83

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3167 on: February 7, 2017, 11:36:16 am »
Not quite what was said. At all, in fact.

They were sowing the seeds in people's minds that it isn't getting built

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #3168 on: February 7, 2017, 11:36:24 am »
The latest Forbes valuations valued the club at $1.55bn that's £1.25bn. There is nobody out there that would be remotely interested in us at that price.

So they'll ride along with the current levels of investment, and as they've proven they can make profits without having to be winning trophies. Absolute perfect storm for this who want them out

Well then we're a bit fucked. Not 'oh shit we're going into administration' fucked but definitely 'oh well, another decade without a title or much silverware' fucked. Because unfortunately, we will not be successful on the pitch under FSG's current model.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3169 on: February 7, 2017, 11:39:54 am »
They were sowing the seeds in people's minds that it isn't getting built

They were saying what has been said all along, and also what was said about the Main Stand too - that if the figures add up when it comes time to make a decision (which was always when the Main was finished) then it will get done.

Latest seems to be that things are still progressing with the planning and that it could well end up seeing the capacity rise to well into the 60k level rather than the 58,500 previously mentioned (something I've suggested may end up being the case for a while now).

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3170 on: February 7, 2017, 11:41:31 am »
Klopp, Pearce, Barrett, Ready - all say it is his choice to pull out of the deals for players like Gotze or Draxler.

However it seems most people seem to ignore what our manager and the other more reliable people say about our club and point the fingers at FSG, with no source just their own hunch.

FSG probably do want to make money from us.  Most chairman will be the same in our league, bar the Man City and Chelsea ones.

I have no problem with them making money from us, as long as we are well run in order to have sustained success.

For that to happen you need to have the right manager and structure to provide that.  They have got that manager in Klopp.  He has proven to build a quality, winning team, on a low budget and punch above his weight winning the German League twice vs Bayern who have far greater resources.  Not to mention what he did in Europe with that team.  But that team wasn't an instant success.  It took a couple of years for Klopp to improve the squad, coach and improve.  It's not like he bought world beater and put then together and they instantly became great.  Quite the opposite.

Our fans want big names, big money spent.  In the summer I think we learnt a good lesson that big money and top reputation on Gotze, wasn't necessarily the best fit for our team under Klopp, than Mane.  Although at the time, the majority of our fans were craving Gotze and unimpressed with the Mane signing.  It's about the right player, not the most expensive or biggest reputation. 

People blame FSG for only wanting young players, I'm sure it is their preference, but they have bought older ones like Benteke, which shows that isn't always the case.  But more importantly, it is also Klopps choice, to get young, hungry players who will run through a brick wall for him and he can mould into his way of playing.  But he won't be rash and panic buy, he'll wait before getting someone he really wants like Brandt or Pulisic, than go for another alternative... especially someone like Draxler, who it seems he liked as a player but was only focussed about money.  Klopp has strong values and I like it how he sticks to those beliefs.  In the long term that approach will be best for our club IMO as we've wasted far too much money over the years on players who have not been either good enough or worth what we have paid.

In the short term that might mean we miss out on a Gotze or a Draxler, but in the long term we might get the better fit for the long term such as Mane or Brandt.  Money can speed up success, but you still need to spend the money right, just look at Man Utd with Di Maria and other players they have bought for massive funds the last few years, with little to show for it.

Are our scouts good enough?  Hard to say IMO.  I think when we get players like Coutinho, Firmino, Mane, Can, Gomez etc - then you'd say yes.  But obviously there have been plenty of failures as well.  I think most scouting structures would have a similar set of results.  For me the key is to accept that you'll make mistakes and get rid of the ones who don't work out.  The issue is when you keep persisting with players who are clearly not right for the club or set up.  I think we did that with Benteke for example.  Sure, bad buy.  But we got rid of him when that was clear and we move on.  I hope Klopp continues to be ruthless in that regard, even if some of those players are ones he signed himself.  Managers will make mistakes, the problem is not changing the mistakes quickly.

I didn't expect everything to be rosy under Klopp over night.  People can point to FSG and say they have been here for a long term and we should have seen better.  But the owners don't buy the players, coach the teams, select the team, do the tactics etc.  FSG have trusted others to do that for them - Dalglish, Comolli, Rodgers, The Committee - now Klopp.  I think FSG have made mistakes in the past, but they have shown a willingness to learn from them and I believe the appointment of Klopp shows that.   If you have an approach to the game, where it is not about spending massively like Chelsea & Man City, then you need a manager like Klopp - they're done that.  They need to give him everything they can to give him the best chance of working.  According to Klopp (I believe him, given he's not a 'yes man') they have done that.  Klopp has said he also has first & last say on all transfers - a role that not all managers get in Europe.

Our fans want everything now.  More money spent now.  Trophies now.  New players now.  Sadly, these things take time - especially with our approach and what Klopp (and FSG) inherited.  Last summer we could have thrown more money and possibly got Gotze - doesn't mean he would be better than Mane or compliment Firmino & Coutinho as much.  I think Mane has been a perfect fit for Klopp and our team, especially as we lacked pace.   We could go spend massively like Man U did with Di Maria and it flop, the idea that he'll isntantly improve us, but it doesn't always work out like that. 

Klopp isn't building something here for instantly success.  If we win in the short term, then great.  But I believe he wants long term, sustained success.  For that to happen it's about getting the right players who can offer you for 5+ years, not just one or two.  Hence why he won't panic buy unless he finds the right players.

I believe we can be successful with FSG's approach, especially with Klopp at the helm.  He has proven it at Dortmund before, building a team with not huge resources (and we have far more resources than they had).  Look at Atletico competing with Barca & Real, despite not having huge resources.  It isn't easy, it is far easier throwing money at it like Mourinho does and having instantly success.  But it doesn't mean this approach can't work with patience, belief and everyone buying into it - the players, owners, manager and fans.

The people who want the short term approach, yes we'd probably need new owners, we can hire Mourinho and watch a classless guy on the side of the pitch, constantly blaming refs etc.  We can have players on bigger wages, who care less for the club - but we'd probably have more trophies in the short term.  If that's what you want then you don't want Klopp.  Klopp builds things, he doesn't buy great players - he buys potential and makes them great.  Actually it's a perfect fit for LFC, as we have a history of making players great.

FSG & Klopp are united in their approach.  If you don't like FSG, I really don't think you should like Klopp - they have the same idea of what they want.  Personally I'm happy with both and although FSG aren't perfect, nor if is Klopp - I think they can be successful and I am patient enough to give it the best chance of success.

+1
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3171 on: February 7, 2017, 11:42:41 am »
Well then we're a bit fucked. Not 'oh shit we're going into administration' fucked but definitely 'oh well, another decade without a title or much silverware' fucked. Because unfortunately, we will not be successful on the pitch under FSG's current model.

If the model is that the club can spend what it earns then, as long as the manager and the ones doing the deals pull their fingers out and actually spend the cash, then there should be no reason we cannot be successful.

Up until now there has been little indication they want the club to sit on a big pile of cash, and whilst the last set of accounts are only to end May 2015 (2016 ones should be out fairly soon) there is no sign of any cash piling up. I imagine there should be some since then, and the hope will be that gets spent this summer.

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!
« Reply #3172 on: February 7, 2017, 11:54:17 am »
No he is, I saw him play for Liverpool and everything. He's shit.

Good against the rubbish in La Liga though.

You're correct.

It's because we have spent huge amounts of cash on quantity over quality for so long that we don't have a good enough squad.

In other news, Micky Quinn was on Talksp*ort this morning and apparently we are signing 5 world class players this summer - has he got contacts at the club?

(And no I don't listen to that awful radio show, a friend tweeted it earlier)

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3173 on: February 7, 2017, 11:58:48 am »
They were saying what has been said all along, and also what was said about the Main Stand too - that if the figures add up when it comes time to make a decision (which was always when the Main was finished) then it will get done.

Latest seems to be that things are still progressing with the planning and that it could well end up seeing the capacity rise to well into the 60k level rather than the 58,500 previously mentioned (something I've suggested may end up being the case for a while now).

Fingers crossed

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #3174 on: February 7, 2017, 11:58:53 am »
You're correct.

It's because we have spent huge amounts of cash on quantity over quality for so long that we don't have a good enough squad.

In other news, Micky Quinn was on Talksp*ort this morning and apparently we are signing 5 world class players this summer - has he got contacts at the club?

It's called Talk Shite for a reason.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3175 on: February 7, 2017, 12:01:45 pm »
If the model is that the club can spend what it earns then, as long as the manager and the ones doing the deals pull their fingers out and actually spend the cash, then there should be no reason we cannot be successful.

Up until now there has been little indication they want the club to sit on a big pile of cash, and whilst the last set of accounts are only to end May 2015 (2016 ones should be out fairly soon) there is no sign of any cash piling up. I imagine there should be some since then, and the hope will be that gets spent this summer.

Apart from Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Arsenal and Spurs who all consistently outspend us and finish above us?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3176 on: February 7, 2017, 12:02:14 pm »

Doubtful he has sources high enough who would confirm that to someone in the media, and also doubtful we'd spend what, £250m on 5 players which is probably the min 'world class' would cost.

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!
« Reply #3177 on: February 7, 2017, 12:03:16 pm »
It's called Talk Shite for a reason.

I agree but Micky is one of us - surely he wouldn't make up stuff?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3178 on: February 7, 2017, 12:03:43 pm »
Apart from Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Arsenal and Spurs who all consistently outspend us and finish above us?

Arsenal and Spurs have not consistently outspent us.

Also if we spend what we earn this is 100% above what Spurs have the ability to, and would be similar to what Arsenal have the ability to do (save for them having a pot of cash they've built up that they may be able to use).

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #3179 on: February 7, 2017, 12:03:54 pm »
Doubtful he has sources high enough who would confirm that to someone in the media, and also doubtful we'd spend what, £250m on 5 players which is probably the min 'world class' would cost.

Maybe they will subjectively be world class.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3180 on: February 7, 2017, 12:04:39 pm »
Maybe they will subjectively be world class.

Aspas, Aspas, Aspas, Aspas and Moses then?

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3181 on: February 7, 2017, 12:06:37 pm »
You're correct.

probably bollocks ... even if we do get 5 world class players this summer, i still doubt he knows anything about it

The good thing is that, at least, we have a solid base right now. Most of the deadwood is gone, and this squad does have quality. But 5 players minimum is what we need I believe. Not to turn this into a transfer thread, but it's about the team and player recruitment mainly when it comes to debate about FSG anyway. Lacazette has said he wants a move from Lyon - he's not a big star, so maybe Klopp would like him. He wont be cheap though, and we'll need to be in the champions league to get him. On top of that, left back, midfielder (maybe even 2), centre back and a winger.

And we probably shouldn't be selling that many players either, seeing as we'll be in Europa at worst next season as well. So this summer is going to be telling. About Klopp as well, as I wonder how much he actually wants to spend loads om players.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3182 on: February 7, 2017, 12:06:40 pm »

So £15m on transfer fees, plus whatever wages the three cost us, rather than one genuinely good player who could have made a real difference that season. ... spreading ourselves way too thinly, for example £60m on Lallana, Markovic and Balotelli, rather than giving Rodgers Lallana, who we know he specifically asked for along with Lovren, and one other very good attacking player he would have genuinely wanted.

I think this is the crux of the matter.

I would feel better if we spent £40m plus on just one player every year than buying 4 players for £25m that are not quite good enough. Of course you can get great players for less money occasionally, but that is really hard.

Every summer we seem to need a clear out. This year we could be looking at Sturridge, Moreno, Lucas, Sakho plus the youth who never quite made it as well as trying to bring in 5+ players.

I know we won't get him specifically, but if we bought Griezmann for £70m this summer and nobody else I would be delighted. Take some very, very cheap punts on younger players too, but don't bother buying decent, but not great players for £10-25m certainly not in key positions. Blow your cash down the spine first. That is what Rafa did with Reina, Alonso then Masch and Torres. Imagine if he had been able to spend £40m on a wide attacker after the season we finished 2nd.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3183 on: February 7, 2017, 12:07:09 pm »
Arsenal and Spurs have not consistently outspent us.

Also if we spend what we earn this is 100% above what Spurs have the ability to, and would be similar to what Arsenal have the ability to do (save for them having a pot of cash they've built up that they may be able to use).

They have in recent seasons but alright, I agree that we'd be on a level playing field with Spurs and Arsenal if we spent what we earned. But how successful have those two been in the past decade again? And we'd still be absolutely miles away from the spending power of City, Chelsea and United, which is why those three will continue to share titles for the forseeable future.

I'm sorry but when it comes to the Premier League as it stands, we'd still just be bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #3184 on: February 7, 2017, 12:08:09 pm »
Aspas, Aspas, Aspas, Aspas and Moses then?

The first one is only outscored by Messi Suarez and Ronaldo in la liga this season.

The second as well. And the third. And the fourth. That's around 45 goals spread over 4 players?

And Moses is running away with the league title from Defence.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3185 on: February 7, 2017, 12:09:28 pm »
If we sign even one 'world class player' this summer I'll be absolutely flabbergasted to be honest. World class players demand high wages (£150k plus). Can anyone name one player FSG have signed and put them on that level of wage straight away?

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3186 on: February 7, 2017, 12:13:13 pm »
If we sign even one 'world class player' this summer I'll be absolutely flabbergasted to be honest. World class players demand high wages (£150k plus). Can anyone name one player FSG have signed and put them on that level of wage straight away?

We tried for Sanchez. 

If they're good enough, I'm sure they'll pay.

However apart from that one summer, when we lost Suarez and failed to attract Sanchez (for whatever reason) - we've not had Champs League Football to attract these 'world class' players.

How many players through out the history of LFC have we bought who were already world class?  Usually we make them great.

I'm not arsed about signings big names or reputations, just effective, hungry footballers to suit our needs.  Give me Mane over Gotze any day.

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!
« Reply #3187 on: February 7, 2017, 12:13:22 pm »

They better change sharpish then.  Because Chelsea, City, Man U and even Spurs are all building very talented squads.  I am sick to death of us messing around with Southampton's players (except Mane).

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #3188 on: February 7, 2017, 12:15:40 pm »
Klopp, Pearce, Barrett, Ready - all say it is his choice to pull out of the deals for players like Gotze or Draxler.

However it seems most people seem to ignore what our manager and the other more reliable people say about our club and point the fingers at FSG, with no source just their own hunch.

FSG probably do want to make money from us.  Most chairman will be the same in our league, bar the Man City and Chelsea ones.

I have no problem with them making money from us, as long as we are well run in order to have sustained success.

For that to happen you need to have the right manager and structure to provide that.  They have got that manager in Klopp.  He has proven to build a quality, winning team, on a low budget and punch above his weight winning the German League twice vs Bayern who have far greater resources.  Not to mention what he did in Europe with that team.  But that team wasn't an instant success.  It took a couple of years for Klopp to improve the squad, coach and improve.  It's not like he bought world beater and put then together and they instantly became great.  Quite the opposite.

Our fans want big names, big money spent.  In the summer I think we learnt a good lesson that big money and top reputation on Gotze, wasn't necessarily the best fit for our team under Klopp, than Mane.  Although at the time, the majority of our fans were craving Gotze and unimpressed with the Mane signing.  It's about the right player, not the most expensive or biggest reputation. 

People blame FSG for only wanting young players, I'm sure it is their preference, but they have bought older ones like Benteke, which shows that isn't always the case.  But more importantly, it is also Klopps choice, to get young, hungry players who will run through a brick wall for him and he can mould into his way of playing.  But he won't be rash and panic buy, he'll wait before getting someone he really wants like Brandt or Pulisic, than go for another alternative... especially someone like Draxler, who it seems he liked as a player but was only focussed about money.  Klopp has strong values and I like it how he sticks to those beliefs.  In the long term that approach will be best for our club IMO as we've wasted far too much money over the years on players who have not been either good enough or worth what we have paid.

In the short term that might mean we miss out on a Gotze or a Draxler, but in the long term we might get the better fit for the long term such as Mane or Brandt.  Money can speed up success, but you still need to spend the money right, just look at Man Utd with Di Maria and other players they have bought for massive funds the last few years, with little to show for it.

Are our scouts good enough?  Hard to say IMO.  I think when we get players like Coutinho, Firmino, Mane, Can, Gomez etc - then you'd say yes.  But obviously there have been plenty of failures as well.  I think most scouting structures would have a similar set of results.  For me the key is to accept that you'll make mistakes and get rid of the ones who don't work out.  The issue is when you keep persisting with players who are clearly not right for the club or set up.  I think we did that with Benteke for example.  Sure, bad buy.  But we got rid of him when that was clear and we move on.  I hope Klopp continues to be ruthless in that regard, even if some of those players are ones he signed himself.  Managers will make mistakes, the problem is not changing the mistakes quickly.

I didn't expect everything to be rosy under Klopp over night.  People can point to FSG and say they have been here for a long term and we should have seen better.  But the owners don't buy the players, coach the teams, select the team, do the tactics etc.  FSG have trusted others to do that for them - Dalglish, Comolli, Rodgers, The Committee - now Klopp.  I think FSG have made mistakes in the past, but they have shown a willingness to learn from them and I believe the appointment of Klopp shows that.   If you have an approach to the game, where it is not about spending massively like Chelsea & Man City, then you need a manager like Klopp - they're done that.  They need to give him everything they can to give him the best chance of working.  According to Klopp (I believe him, given he's not a 'yes man') they have done that.  Klopp has said he also has first & last say on all transfers - a role that not all managers get in Europe.

Our fans want everything now.  More money spent now.  Trophies now.  New players now.  Sadly, these things take time - especially with our approach and what Klopp (and FSG) inherited.  Last summer we could have thrown more money and possibly got Gotze - doesn't mean he would be better than Mane or compliment Firmino & Coutinho as much.  I think Mane has been a perfect fit for Klopp and our team, especially as we lacked pace.   We could go spend massively like Man U did with Di Maria and it flop, the idea that he'll isntantly improve us, but it doesn't always work out like that. 

Klopp isn't building something here for instantly success.  If we win in the short term, then great.  But I believe he wants long term, sustained success.  For that to happen it's about getting the right players who can offer you for 5+ years, not just one or two.  Hence why he won't panic buy unless he finds the right players.

I believe we can be successful with FSG's approach, especially with Klopp at the helm.  He has proven it at Dortmund before, building a team with not huge resources (and we have far more resources than they had).  Look at Atletico competing with Barca & Real, despite not having huge resources.  It isn't easy, it is far easier throwing money at it like Mourinho does and having instantly success.  But it doesn't mean this approach can't work with patience, belief and everyone buying into it - the players, owners, manager and fans.

The people who want the short term approach, yes we'd probably need new owners, we can hire Mourinho and watch a classless guy on the side of the pitch, constantly blaming refs etc.  We can have players on bigger wages, who care less for the club - but we'd probably have more trophies in the short term.  If that's what you want then you don't want Klopp.  Klopp builds things, he doesn't buy great players - he buys potential and makes them great.  Actually it's a perfect fit for LFC, as we have a history of making players great.

FSG & Klopp are united in their approach.  If you don't like FSG, I really don't think you should like Klopp - they have the same idea of what they want.  Personally I'm happy with both and although FSG aren't perfect, nor if is Klopp - I think they can be successful and I am patient enough to give it the best chance of success.

Very well put and it sums up exactly how I feel about FSG also. I genuinely believe they have the clubs best interest at heart. The black and white of it is that they do back the manager financially and it really frustrates me when people claim they don't. Benteke was a Rodgers signing, everyone connected with the club knew it and whether the owners thought it was the right sort of player to bring in or not they backed the managers plan for the player and we splashed out 33 million quid. The chances are Benteke wasn't the preferred 'committee' signing if you believe the reports on who was (Coutinho, Sturridge, Firmino). If that's not backing the manager I don't know what is.

There also seems to be a notion that we continually sell our best players without a fight.  With regards to both Torres and Sterling (I will exlcude Suarez becuase once Barca come calling with 75 million pounds theres almost nothing than can be done), the owners made it completely clear that anything below the 50 million pound asking price would be instantly rejected and they stuck to their word until they got the fee they asked for. Both players wanted to move on and it would have been easy to accept the 43 million pounds City bid for Sterling and run but FSG made in concrete that everything was on their terms otherwise the player would be going nowhere. In hindsight, we concluded two great deals for the players and I'm pretty sure a high percentage of fans were also content with how they have panned out. If you look at the replacements we brought in; Suarez and Firmino we almost certainly upgraded on both the sale of Torres and Sterling with better players for half the price. Fantastic business, but its almost as though the fact that they weren't 50 million players themselves, its held against the owners. I remember at the time we sold Suarez and all or deals had been done before deadline day fans were claiming what a great summer we had had; strengthening in a number of positions with the money available. We spent 45 million on Lovren and Lallana both of whom were high on Rodgers priorities - not the owners choices.

With regards to Klopp, the amount of dead wood that he shifted last summer we were always going to run up a decent total in player sales. The owners backed Klopp with the players he wanted. We spent 34 million on Mane, a fee that most on here were saying was too much. It seems they are damned if they do, damned if they don't. No Europe this season is a major factor with regards to squad size whether people like it or not, its pretty much 10-12 less games on the assumption we made the QF of a European Comp. There is no point in stockpiling players for 3 competitions. Apart from the past month or so Origi and Sturridge have barely had a run in the first team. The squad size isn't the biggest problem as far as I'm concerned, its more to do with tactics and teams coming up with better strategies to counter us. We could have gone out and spent 25 million on a Mane replacement for January, because apparently missing Mane was the core problem. Well that didn't seem the case on Saturday.

The solution to our current problems are always on the training field and not in the Janaury transfer market.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3189 on: February 7, 2017, 12:16:04 pm »

Spurs and Arsenal out spend us?

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3190 on: February 7, 2017, 12:16:14 pm »

Give me Mane over Gotze any day.
Not that it has anything to do with FSG, but getting Mane instead of Gotze was a huge blessing imo
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Historical Fool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #3191 on: February 7, 2017, 12:16:29 pm »
They better change sharpish then.  Because Chelsea, City, Man U and even Spurs are all building very talented squads.  I am sick to death of us messing around with Southampton's players (except Mane).

So you wouldn't take van dijk? I thought you said you would for 40m.

That could be another kop, I can't remember.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3192 on: February 7, 2017, 12:16:57 pm »
We tried for Sanchez. 

If they're good enough, I'm sure they'll pay.

However apart from that one summer, when we lost Suarez and failed to attract Sanchez (for whatever reason) - we've not had Champs League Football to attract these 'world class' players.

What was the reason do you think we failed to attract Sanchez?

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!
« Reply #3193 on: February 7, 2017, 12:18:29 pm »
So you wouldn't take van dijk? I thought you said you would for 40m.

That could be another kop, I can't remember.

Not me.

And Van Dijk will have his pick of the clubs - he won't come here.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3194 on: February 7, 2017, 12:18:30 pm »
Spurs and Arsenal out spend us?

Mate, 3/4 of the league outspent us last summer. This isn't news.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3195 on: February 7, 2017, 12:18:31 pm »
They have in recent seasons but alright, I agree that we'd be on a level playing field with Spurs and Arsenal if we spent what we earned. But how successful have those two been in the past decade again? And we'd still be absolutely miles away from the spending power of City, Chelsea and United, which is why those three will continue to share titles for the forseeable future.

I'm sorry but when it comes to the Premier League as it stands, we'd still just be bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Not really, we got Matip for free, while City wasted money on Stones Otamendi and Mangala.

Their best signing was actually at a decent price of 27m and easily in our range.

Same with the likes of Kante a player easily in our price range again, and at 150k a week easily affordable on our payroll.

Its about spending smart not the most.

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!
« Reply #3196 on: February 7, 2017, 12:19:37 pm »
What was the reason do you think we failed to attract Sanchez?

1. London

2. Wages

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3197 on: February 7, 2017, 12:20:40 pm »
1. London

2. Wages

1. Wages
2. Wages
3. Wages
4. Wages

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #3198 on: February 7, 2017, 12:21:43 pm »

I don't want to be that guy but Livepool haven't signed a world class player in the premier league era; FSG or not. The world class players that we have had (Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard, Torres and Suarez) were all bought (or in Gerrards case developed in house) way before that standard. We havent recruited world class players for as long as I've supported Liverpool because we simply aren't in a position to do so. Putting a player on 150k a week doesnt guarantee success. See many of City and Uniteds horrible signings the last 2 or 3 years.

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3199 on: February 7, 2017, 12:21:49 pm »
Without turning this into a transfer thread a lot of people have stated next summer is a biggy, there are good players out there that can move us forward but it won't be cheap, we need a top class keeper, a left back along the lines of jonas hector/ Ricardo Rodriguez a centre half the quality of van djik, a defensive midfielder like kondogbia (watched him this week when he came on against juve) surplus to requirements apparently at inter, a wide player like Brandt and a forward, that's the standard of signings we need, I would rather two of the above list than 5 players a step down. I'm not bringing FSG into it that's just my 5 cents on what I believe we need, now let's wait and see.