Author Topic: The Leftovers  (Read 22023 times)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: The Leftovers
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2014, 04:26:22 pm »
Nasty bastards.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2014, 04:26:50 pm »
It probably went over my head.

Spoiler
The clothes thing? I didn't pick up on what they were getting out the truck
[close]

Spoiler
Looked to me like they were maybe going to make fake bodies of all the local departed? Something grim like that anyway.
[close]

Edit - just seen posts above.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2014, 08:24:52 pm »
Spoiler
they were dressing corpses in the clothes of the lost i believe
[close]
Spoiler
I thought they were the real life models of the lost, rather than corpses.
[close]

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2014, 07:05:01 pm »
Just watched the latest episode and thought it was great, possibly the best yet.

Spoiler
Reminded me very much of the Lost format of explaining back stories. Loved that they went back to the day of the disappearances. Couldn't work out who Michael was though - is he meant to be Garvey's son's real father?
[close]
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2014, 07:16:31 pm »
Spoiler
Yes he is. I couldn't work out if it was a previous marriage, affair or a rape. I also couldn't place the actor which was annoying until I realised it's the "how do you like them apples" bloke from Good Will Hunting.
[close]

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2014, 07:34:21 pm »
Did anyone notice in a early episode when garvey is in the bar watching the news and it showed a montage of celebrities and famous people who had got raptured,one of them was pope benidict. :D

I'm glad it's got a 2nd season as i'm enjoying the show,the last 3 episodes have been great viewing.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:40:09 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2014, 11:05:07 pm »
Spoiler
Yes he is. I couldn't work out if it was a previous marriage, affair or a rape. I also couldn't place the actor which was annoying until I realised it's the "how do you like them apples" bloke from Good Will Hunting.
[close]

Spoiler
Yes, I wondered about an affair or rape or something along those lines too, although I think Garvey said something to his son about "how that man treated you and your mum" so maybe a previous violent relationship when the son was very young.
[close]

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2014, 11:05:38 pm »
Did anyone notice in a early episode when garvey is in the bar watching the news and it showed a montage of celebrities and famous people who had got raptured,one of them was pope benidict. :D

I'm glad it's got a 2nd season as i'm enjoying the show,the last 3 episodes have been great viewing.

Yeah, the montage had some funny people in it, think there was a pop star like Britney Spears or Beyonce or someone well known along those lines too. ;D

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2014, 11:46:38 pm »
Busey!
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2014, 08:12:38 pm »
 :no This isn't on until next week.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2014, 11:54:49 pm »
Spoiler
Looked to me like they were maybe going to make fake bodies of all the local departed? Something grim like that anyway.
[close]

Edit - just seen posts above.
not a spoiler if you're caught up...
Spoiler
great shout. I'm watching an ep marathon ands it's the one focused in Eccleston's priest. He gets home and his wife's caregiver is watching TV. There is an ad on about how your departeds physical likeness can be made from a single photo. This is going to be a rough one for Nora.
[close]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:56:29 pm by Impolite King Brian Blessed »

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #51 on: September 1, 2014, 01:51:04 am »
not a spoiler if you're caught up...
Spoiler
great shout. I'm watching an ep marathon ands it's the one focused in Eccleston's priest. He gets home and his wife's caregiver is watching TV. There is an ad on about how your departeds physical likeness can be made from a single photo. This is going to be a rough one for Nora.
[close]

Of course...the dude she met at the conference worked for that company. Should have put that together.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 1, 2014, 11:29:59 pm »
I forgot about him. Well there we go.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #53 on: September 2, 2014, 08:19:36 am »
We have connected the dots.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 2, 2014, 10:27:54 am »
Of course...the dude she met at the conference worked for that company. Should have put that together.

Oh yeah, I hadn't connected it either, makes sense now. Clever the little hints dropped in like the TV ad (which I hadn't spotted either) - very Lost-like with all the things you can pick up on.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #55 on: September 2, 2014, 03:05:16 pm »
Oh yeah, I hadn't connected it either, makes sense now. Clever the little hints dropped in like the TV ad (which I hadn't spotted either) - very Lost-like with all the things you can pick up on.

It worries me, I want it to make some sort of sense!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2014, 05:06:22 pm »
The finale was popular, then ;D

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2014, 05:12:47 pm »
The finale was popular, then ;D

I didn't love or hate it. It didn't feel much like a finale. Old Lindelhof giving us nothing to care about.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2014, 05:16:37 pm »
Yeah, it was all a bit dull. And what are the leftover GR now? The Guilty Remnant Remnant?

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2014, 05:22:12 pm »
Yeah, it was all a bit dull. And what are the leftover GR now? The Guilty Remnant Remnant?

Hahaha!

I actually thought the payoff would be cop dudes family all appearing in the same scene and him getting "his wish" assuming that's what it was but they didn't really commit to anything.

(No spoilers in the above post, in case anyone hasn't seen it)

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2014, 10:46:56 pm »
as mr. blessed stated (roared?), it was utterly dull and yet utterly compelling at the same time.  very muted and understated, and relying on some stunning visual moments rather than good dialogue or amazing ideas.

overall i think it was a bit too busy, but the two single character episodes were very well done.

Spoiler
i loved the scene with nora, the call girl and the gun.  in fact i loved that whole episode.  and nora is very beautiful...

i loved the way the precise moment of the departure was conveyed in the penultimate episode.  the son grinning and then the light disappearing as the circuit was broken was superb, but then that hideous, terrible, horrific moment that followed which explained everything abut laurie and why she ended up in the GR without using any words... brilliantly done.  as an aside, given the state of the pro-life debate in the USA, it was quite a bold statement that the foetus was already a 'person' worthy of departure.

i liked that christopher eccleston's priest was so relentlessly nice (it's unusual for a TV show to portray a man of faith as anything but morally corrupt).  and he got one of my favourite lines: "i say fuck too!"  dreadful accent though, but david tennant's is just as bad, so even a regeneration won't help :)

where it really fell down was the main character, who was too dull to be a proper lead, and most of the characters other than eccleston's and nora were pretty flat.  it ripped off storylines from two of my all time favourite movies too (fight club and american beauty), but i can't really hold that against it.

i'll probably watch a second season, even if at this stage it doesn't look like it's ever going to be an HBO classic.
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2014, 11:21:03 pm »
Really underwhelmed by the finale. I enjoyed the season overall but i don't think it has much legs beyond one season to be honest, especially f they aren't touching the whole mystery of the rapture or anything supernatural.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2014, 11:27:30 pm »
surely it's extremely supernatural? 

Spoiler
it's a world with at least one individual had a superpower, where certain people talk to dead people, and where there is a mythology of 'chosen' people.  it shapes up as a nice supernatural mystery going forward as it unfolds, although in truth the non-supernatural stuff is much more interesting (relatively speaking).
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2014, 11:41:07 pm »
Who has the power? Who talks to the dead? I've genuinely forgotten ;D

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2014, 11:52:09 pm »
Who has the power? Who talks to the dead? I've genuinely forgotten ;D

Spoiler
Wayne and Theroux/Theroux's dad
[close]

I think he was saying "they aren't going to touch the supernatural element of the story" not "there is no supernatural element to the story" fwiw.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2014, 12:04:40 am »
Spoiler
Wayne and Theroux/Theroux's dad
[close]

I think he was saying "they aren't going to touch the supernatural element of the story" not "there is no supernatural element to the story" fwiw.

Spoiler
but surely the reason they've made it clear that those supernatural elements exist is because they're going to be explored?  would be a waste of time otherwise.  they have already touched on them, after all, and the message from the last couple of episodes is that there are strange forces at work in the world that the series will explore.
[close]

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2014, 09:24:11 am »
Spoiler
but surely the reason they've made it clear that those supernatural elements exist is because they're going to be explored?  would be a waste of time otherwise.  they have already touched on them, after all, and the message from the last couple of episodes is that there are strange forces at work in the world that the series will explore.
[close]

That's a valid concern/expectation but you forget something and most importantly do not be surprised if those things are not explored.

He's been there, done that.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2014, 12:32:34 pm »
That's a valid concern/expectation but you forget something and most importantly do not be surprised if those things are not explored.

He's been there, done that.

ah, i've never seen 'lost', though i'm aware of its reputation.  but i would hope that the fact that this is guided by a novel would restrict him to actually having a clue what's going on.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2014, 04:43:31 pm »
ah, i've never seen 'lost', though i'm aware of its reputation.  but i would hope that the fact that this is guided by a novel would restrict him to actually having a clue what's going on.

Spoiler
Having read the book, there are big changes but also it ends having given no explanation of any of the mysteries - well, the main mystery, seeing as all the other mysteries are invented for the show. It doesn;t have the same end to the TV show but the events don't go any further than than the show already has.
[close]
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2014, 05:48:17 pm »
Is this worth watching then? People seem a bit meh

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2014, 05:58:57 pm »
Starts on Tuesday on Sky Atlantic, looks kind of interesting.  I'm going to give it a go.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2014, 06:36:32 pm »
Is this worth watching then? People seem a bit meh

meh is just about the perfect summary.  there are some beautiful moments, but there's a lot of crap to wade through to get to them.

Spoiler
Having read the book, there are big changes but also it ends having given no explanation of any of the mysteries - well, the main mystery, seeing as all the other mysteries are invented for the show. It doesn;t have the same end to the TV show but the events don't go any further than than the show already has.
[close]

this is a little depressing.  you can get away with a story that doesn't tie up nicely if the journey itself is entertaining, but to be a bit of a dull mess and still go nowhere... not sure i can stomach that.

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2014, 07:11:10 pm »
this is a little depressing.  you can get away with a story that doesn't tie up nicely if the journey itself is entertaining, but to be a bit of a dull mess and still go nowhere... not sure i can stomach that.
Same. I'm not really bothered if they explain why the people have disappeared, but the way they've hinted at other mysteries requires some sort of closure with them.

I can't see myself coming back for season two.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2014, 07:21:54 pm »
meh is just about the perfect summary.  there are some beautiful moments, but there's a lot of crap to wade through to get to them.

Lost all over again. But at least in this one you know what you're getting not finding out at the very end

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2014, 10:31:50 pm »
Just watched the finale this evening, as people have said there's some stunning imagery but I was left a bit flat considering it's the finale, I feel like another show is needed to wrap some stuff up.

Spoiler
The stuff with the fake bodies was very creepy, especially Nora with her family sat at the table, fucking hell.

But what had happened to Wayne, was he attacked, I can't remember. How did he end up in that toilet?
[close]

Still, I'd probably watch a second series even if only for Justin Theroux's beautiful eyes.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2014, 08:10:29 am »
Spoiler
[close]

*sigh* That's it then. No season 2 for me.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2014, 05:52:49 pm »
Finished it last night and enjoyed it but that actor playing Tommy is awful. Irritatingly awful.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2014, 05:28:07 pm »
Rubbish first episode, too much mystery of why people are the way they are.

Some basic ethics of humanity were left in the wind. The people in white annoyed the hell out of me.

The best thing about the first episode were the dogs going apeshit.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Online Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2014, 02:15:00 pm »
I watched the full season over the last week, I really enjoyed it although I can understand if people hate it. It's not a show to provide answers (I believe the original book was inspired by 9/11, with thousands of families suddenly having family members disappear), but rather to explore grief and see how a community copes with a cataclysmic event.

Rest in spoilers:

Spoiler
The two episodes that were from a single character's POV were by far the best. Chris Eccleston's episode was the one that really grabbed me and pulled me into the show, although my favourite episode by far was Nora's (helped by the fact I've developed an enormous crush on her). I also really loved the episode that was a flashback to before the Departure (ep 9), which showed how all the characters interacted before. Possibly no coincidence that was the first episode I actually liked Tommy as well.

I have no idea where season 2 goes - I'd like to see it concentrate on Nora and Kevin's story, with Chris Eccleston acting as a more heavily featured supporting character (and I'm presuming Janel Maroney gets a bigger role in season 2 as you don't hire Donna from the West Wing to just lie comatose all season). Pretty glad that Patterson Joseph (JOHNSON!) was killed off, as I had absolutely no interest in the cult storyline.

I think overall this was a show that was even more of a mood piece than the similarly paced Rectify. There were moments that were absolutely horrifying and just stuck in the mind for days afterwards - Nora coming down to find the family dolls, Gladys from the GR being stoned to death, pretty much all of Eccleston's episode - but left a bit to be desired in terms of character development and plot. Yet I still really enjoyed it. Looking forward to season 2.
[close]

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2014, 12:30:05 pm »
I literally have no idea what is going on in this show.