Author Topic: Fargo (New show from FX/Channel 4)  (Read 64080 times)

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Fargo (New show from FX/Channel 4)
« Reply #440 on: February 24, 2017, 04:36:45 pm »
Stuhlbarg is great in A Serious Man. Loved him in everything I've seen him in since then too.

The Coens have a great habit of casting little-known actors in leads roles just before they take off - Stuhlbarg, Oscar Isaacs and Javier Bardem all quite recently

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #441 on: February 25, 2017, 10:13:45 am »
April is crazy for new series:  Fargo, Veep, Better Call Saul, Leftovers all returning and new shows with considerable promise like Bryan Fuller's American Gods (with Al fuckin' Swearengen), and an adaptation of the Handmaid's Tale all happening.

And the best show on television is back in March.

Get Silicon Valley on that list.

Had forgotten American Gods. Nice. *Watches trailer again* "Hey, Sobotka's nephew is on!"
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: April 14, 2017, 09:42:01 pm »
Only just seen series 1 of this. After watching 'Legion' and loving it I saw the creator also created this so thought I'd give it a go.

Spoiler
thought it was excellent. A slow burner at first but was hooked by episode 3 or so and watched the last 4 episodes today.

I think there were a few minor plot holes but they didn't matter because of the excellent cast (Freeman and Thornton were outstanding) and the pacing/tension of it.

It felt like Pulp Fiction meets Breaking Bad to me.
[close]

Is the second series as good?
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #443 on: April 14, 2017, 09:44:13 pm »

I loved it. Absolutely worth your time if you enjoyed the first season.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #444 on: April 14, 2017, 11:31:08 pm »

second season was even better than the first ...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #445 on: April 14, 2017, 11:47:17 pm »

I think the first season has more interesting headline characters, but the storytelling and pacing is probably better in the second. In any case, some of the best television I've seen in a while.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #446 on: April 20, 2017, 04:40:11 pm »
I watched the first two series over the last couple of months for the first time, absolutely outstanding stuff.

The new episode is keeping with that tradition.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: April 20, 2017, 05:55:56 pm »
Didn't even know this was back! Sorted for tonight's viewing. :)

THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: April 20, 2017, 05:58:59 pm »
Brilliant, glad it's back on. Been struggling to find some good tv shows lately.

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: April 20, 2017, 07:24:27 pm »
Watch week to week or wait and binge.....

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: April 20, 2017, 07:26:26 pm »
Watch week to week or wait and binge.....

Mix it up.
Wait for three episodes, binge, repeat.
I often do it for shows I really like.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #451 on: April 21, 2017, 04:01:09 pm »
Didn't go crazy about it but far from bad. Only one episode but
Spoiler
I'd guess Winstead's manipulating character will be one of the main attractions. McGregor's characters were meh but all in all the cast is good so I have no worries.
[close]

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: April 21, 2017, 04:27:07 pm »
Didn't understand what the point of the East Germany interogation scene was for.

Decent opening episode.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: April 21, 2017, 05:40:14 pm »
Didn't understand what the point of the East Germany interogation scene was for.

Decent opening episode.

You're not supposed to know yet. Although it has direct parallels to the main story of the episode
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: April 21, 2017, 11:22:08 pm »
Didn't kow who was starring in this beforehand and it took me a few minutes before I twigged McGregor. There's a few familiar faces from other shows too. Delighted to see Thewlis pop up, haven't seen him in much in ages.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #455 on: April 22, 2017, 09:32:51 am »
Didn't kow who was starring in this beforehand and it took me a few minutes before I twigged McGregor. There's a few familiar faces from other shows too. Delighted to see Thewlis pop up, haven't seen him in much in ages.

Likewise. Him and Stuhlbarg were also great additions to the cast.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: April 23, 2017, 12:26:48 pm »
Enjoyed the first episode...all my favourite TV shows returning.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #457 on: April 24, 2017, 01:24:30 am »
Good first episode.

I'd forgotten that McGregor was playing twins and didn't pick who was playing Ennis until a few scenes in.

The whole small-time crime in small town crime gone wrong schtick is maybe wearing a bit thin though. I wouldn't mind seeing them take it in a slightly different direction in the next season. I'm sure the substance will still be good, but the concept just isn't all that exciting anymore. The character types are also a bit same-samey. You've got the plucky female officer, the son of the officer, the hapless brother, the less hapless brother, the evil organisation.. it all feels like we've been here before. With that said, I'm already expecting big things for the finale of this season. Pathos hasn't been a part of the series so far, but the pieces appear to be there for it to happen this time. I just hope it doesn't get to Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

Can't wait to see how the East Germany stuff ties in, though. And the cast is great, without exception. It's nice to see Mary Elizabeth Winstead play a slightly edgier role than she generally plays, and we still have Thomas Mann, Shea Whigham and Hamish Linklater to look forward to.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #458 on: April 24, 2017, 03:48:47 pm »
I enjoyed the 1st episode, good characters as usual & some funny moments. David Thewlis's character looks like he'll be great. Enjoyed Ewan in his characters I'm not usually a fan of the same person playing 2 roles in something but them being so different helped.

I can see where people are coming from saying the formula might be getting a bit stale now but Noah Hawley is a smart guy he'll know that too so this series might end up going somewhere totally different we'll have to wait & see but a good start anyway, looking forward to the rest.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: April 25, 2017, 12:46:47 pm »
What channel is this on? Couldn't find it on the Sky Planner.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: April 25, 2017, 02:00:34 pm »
What channel is this on? Couldn't find it on the Sky Planner.

Channel 4 have the rights, but don't think they've announced when they'll be showing it. Makes me think it's a few months away.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #461 on: April 29, 2017, 06:03:05 pm »
Slightly worried that Series 3 is gonna suffer by being far too similar to whats gone before it. 2 eps in & I'm not being dragged into the story & its world like I was with Series 1 & 2 and its because it feels like I've been there before. Hopefully it picks up.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: April 30, 2017, 03:01:24 am »
It's been a bit low energy for me so far.

I blame the Thewlis character, who doesn't have the same charisma or menace as Lorne Malvo or Mike Milligan. He comes of as having the menace of a nefarious bureaucrat, which doesn't really work for me.

And as much I like McGregor and Stulbarg, I'm not feeling the chemistry between the two of them so far. They seem to both give off a similar kind of harmless, just-about-made-it-as-big-fish-in-small-pond kinda vibe. That's fine for one major character, but doesn't create much zap when two of the characters, frequently together, are roughly equally gormless.

Finally, I don't think the Carrie Coon character has contributed anything of note to the show so far at all. I have a bad feeling that she's not going to, either, because she's roughly a similar type of character to those played by Patrick Wilson and Alison Tolman in earlier seasons. She's going to be a straight, moral heart of the season, and as the third one in three seasons in similar roles, it'll be a tough ask for her to add something extraordinary to the role.

I did like that they mentioned Stan Grossman in episode 2 though. That's a nice throwback to the film.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #463 on: April 30, 2017, 10:19:39 am »
Understand what redcap says but yet Thewlis is the best thing about those 2 episodes. The parking lot scene  ;D

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: April 30, 2017, 10:19:05 pm »
Thewlis's character so far he's stealing every scene,i think he's brilliant with that inane smile and Lancashire accent.

Also another thing it takes from the other seasons is the hitman duo with the 2 guys who walk around with Thewlis,just like season one with the deaf guy and his buddy and season 2 with the Kitchen Brothers.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: May 1, 2017, 04:11:32 am »
Thewlis's character so far he's stealing every scene,i think he's brilliant with that inane smile and Lancashire accent.

Also another thing it takes from the other seasons is the hitman duo with the 2 guys who walk around with Thewlis,just like season one with the deaf guy and his buddy and season 2 with the Kitchen Brothers.

I personally hate the hitman duo trope.

It sucked in season 2, it sucked in Breaking Bad to the extent that I wanted to stop watching the show, and I doubt it'll be good here. It's just such a lazy way of conveying menace / quirkiness. Need a badass? Too lazy to give them any depth? Put two of them together with vaguely interesting and/or ethnic appearances, fashion sense, et voila!

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #466 on: May 5, 2017, 10:32:09 am »
Absolutely brutal the third episode. Just a brutal slog till the end. Still early but having legitimate concerns now. Storytelling and characters lack.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: May 5, 2017, 09:40:31 pm »
Absolutely brutal the third episode. Just a brutal slog till the end. Still early but having legitimate concerns now. Storytelling and characters lack.

The episode seems really divisive. I loved it, personally. I also have concerns about the season, but as a standalone episode I thought it was great.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: May 6, 2017, 12:20:11 pm »
The episode seems really divisive. I loved it, personally. I also have concerns about the season, but as a standalone episode I thought it was great.

I'm with you. I thought it was sensational. One of those candidates for 'greatest episodes of TV' level great. It pretty much single-handedly restored my interest in this season.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: May 6, 2017, 01:29:27 pm »
Yeah i enjoyed the episode. Probably due to no Ewan McGregor and his shite American accents though

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: May 6, 2017, 11:11:03 pm »
I thought it was shite ha...opinions and all that!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: May 15, 2017, 11:56:17 am »
Planet Wyh animations and the android Minsky

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fzjcEMZ82IY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fzjcEMZ82IY</a>

any connection to season two's UFO?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: May 15, 2017, 01:10:37 pm »
Planet Wyh animations and the android Minsky

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fzjcEMZ82IY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fzjcEMZ82IY</a>

any connection to season two's UFO?

Pretty sure that's the intention, although it'll be one of those quirky oblique things they'll never given an answer to. A bit like the Chechen interior decorator from "Pine Barrens" in The Sopranos.

Episode 4 was quite good, I thought. The introduction to the episode was sheer class, and I think a bit of a Chekhov's gun in terms of how the season will pan out. All the characters grew on me. I'm enjoying Ewan McGregor's double turn more and more all the time, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead continues to impress.

Spoiler
Interesting that Thewlis's character had a portrait of Stalin in his office. What was that about? A reference back to the first episode maybe?
[close]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:15:11 pm by Redcap »

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: May 15, 2017, 05:57:26 pm »
Spoiler
Interesting that Thewlis's character had a portrait of Stalin in his office. What was that about? A reference back to the first episode maybe?
[close]

Spoiler
Maybe I'm going for the easiest, superificial interpretation, but I always thought that Varga was the guy being interrogated in the East Germany scene. The 20 or so years time jump would fit in, age wise, and he's shown in the last episode speaking German in what sounded to my ignorant ear as a credibly natural accent (talking about food, no less. Why would a non-native German speaker say "pork chops" in German in that situation?). Plus, Varga is a central European name (Hungarian, I think), so it would make sense to use a eastern bloc pseudonym if the guy in the prologue scene was blackmailed into enrolling in some government/spy programme or something, also given that in the last episode we heard his eastern European henchman seemingly randomly talking about Putin, KGB and FSB.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 05:59:21 pm by Gods_Left_Boot »
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #474 on: May 17, 2017, 11:52:06 pm »

Absolutely loved it. One of my favourite episodes of the entire show.  Thought Minskey was just adorable and wish I could read that book!
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: May 19, 2017, 01:52:11 am »
Just finished watching episode 1. Love how quality TV shows can introduce you to some obscure tunes. Definitely, an early highlight.

Adriano Celentano - Prisencolinensinainciusol

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-VsmF9m_Nt8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-VsmF9m_Nt8</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: May 19, 2017, 11:44:14 am »
Just finished watching episode 1. Love how quality TV shows can introduce you to some obscure tunes. Definitely, an early highlight.

Adriano Celentano - Prisencolinensinainciusol

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-VsmF9m_Nt8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-VsmF9m_Nt8</a>

Is it bad that I think that's actually a pretty great music video?

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #477 on: May 19, 2017, 12:08:31 pm »
Absolutely loved it. One of my favourite episodes of the entire show.  Thought Minskey was just adorable and wish I could read that book!

The only thing I liked from it alongside the box.
Found all of Carrie Coon's adventures in LA and the flashbacks that focused on her step dad rather tiresome. The latter especially cause I've seen it too many times and you knew what was coming. Sorry.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #478 on: May 19, 2017, 01:25:11 pm »
Has this started on Channel 4 yet?
Legacy fan

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan