Author Topic: * Inquests 2015/16 - News Only Updates *  (Read 132252 times)

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
Re: * Inquests 2015/16 - News Only Updates *
« Reply #160 on: September 29, 2016, 06:43:21 pm »
Heard Shelia Coleman on 5Live talking about this earlier - Crompton's got a nerve.

South Yorkshire Police chief David Crompton in legal bid over resignation

The Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police is to take legal action over the decision to ask him to resign.

David Crompton was suspended by the region's Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) after the Hillsborough inquests due to "eroding trust and confidence" in the force.

Dr Alan Billings has said he will enforce the decision to make him resign.

Mr Crompton said it was "fundamentally wrong" and would challenge it in court.

He said: "I will shortly be commencing judicial review proceedings in the High Court in order to challenge him."

Dr Billings said the force needed a new start under new leadership and had accepted the Police and Crime Panel's recommendation calling on the chief constable to resign with immediate effect.
Conduct during inquest

"This is due to the erosion of trust and confidence in his leadership which would have continued and intensified as long as he remained in post," he said.

"This would not have been in the interests of South Yorkshire police or people."

Mr Crompton was suspended in April after an inquest jury concluded police conduct contributed to or caused the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, which resulted in the deaths of 96-football fans.

In May, solicitors acting on behalf of 20 bereaved Hillsborough families submitted a complaint to the Independent Police Complaint Commission (IPCC) about Mr Crompton's conduct during the inquests.

Mr Crompton said the force's approach was not to try and defend its failures but to put them "into the context of other contributory factors".

A report by the South Yorkshire Police and Crime Panel published last week described his attempt to explain the legal approach as "a catastrophic error of judgement" and gave it's backing to the PCC's decision.

Dr Billings' decision, however, was described by Chief Inspector of Constabulary Sir Tom Winsor as "conspicuously unfair and disproportionate".

Following the inquests, Mr Crompton reiterated an apology for the disaster and said he accepted the findings.

However, he was criticised by the families of Hillsborough victims and Andy Burnham MP over the force's stance during the two-year-long hearings.

Mr Burnham said the force had effectively gone back on its 2012 apology and that its approach to the inquests had resulted in "millions of pounds of public money [being] spent retelling discredited lies" and had significantly lengthened the hearings.

David Crompton

Jan 2012 Appointed Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police following retirement of Med Hughes in October 2011
Sept 2012 Apologises on behalf of South Yorkshire Police after the Hillsborough Independent Panel finds the force "sought to deflect responsibility" on to Liverpool fans
Feb 2013 Apologises after an email emerges in which he accuses Hillsborough campaigners of lying
Mar 2016 Announces plans to retire in November
Apr 2016 Suspended following Hillsborough Inquest
May 2016 Dismissal proceedings begin
Sept 2016 Made to resign by Police and Crime Commissioner

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: October 5, 2016, 11:03:06 am »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2016, 11:54:22 am »

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2016, 08:51:41 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/16/hillsborough-families-criticise-police-chief-over-witch-hunt-claim-in-book?CMP=share_btn_tw

Disgusted.

Trying to make himself the victim out of this.

What's the best thing to do about this - ignore it and not give it publicity? Or does ignoring this just risk yet more myths seeping into the public consciousness?

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2016, 10:33:54 pm »
He's on BBC2 newsnight now
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2016, 10:43:40 pm »
He's on BBC2 newsnight now
Indeed. Smarmy arrogant c*nt.
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2016, 10:46:12 pm »
Evan Davies gave him a reasonable grilling
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2016, 10:50:44 pm »
Evan Davies gave him a reasonable grilling
Thought he was brilliant, well prepared, don't think Bettison knew what hit him. some great comeback points by Evans.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2016, 10:58:27 pm »
Let's not forget LBC's Iain Dale's shameless propping up of Bettison here, as he published the book. Disgraceful.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 03:05:50 am by mattD »

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2016, 02:05:16 pm »

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2017, 02:10:21 pm »
@IPCCNews
Files of evidence have been referred to @cpsuk in relation to 23 suspects regarding the Hillsborough investigations
.@cpsuk will consider whether charges inc. gross negligence manslaughter and perverting the course of justice are appropriate
Of the 23 #Hillsborough suspects, 15 relate to Operation Resolve's investigation into the causes of the disaster
Both investigation teams have worked closely with @cpsuk during the #Hiillsborough investigation & will undertake additional tasks as needed

Hillsborough investigations refer evidence to Crown Prosecution Service
Jan 12, 2017
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) and Operation Resolve have referred files of evidence relating to 23 suspects from their Hillsborough investigations to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to decide whether criminal charges should follow.

Of these, 15 suspects relate to Operation Resolve’s investigation into the causes of the disaster. The potential offences for consideration include gross negligence manslaughter, perverting the course of justice, misconduct in public office and offences under the Safety of Sports Ground Act 1975 and Health and Safety at Work legislation.

A further eight individuals relate to the IPCC’s independent investigation into both South Yorkshire Police and West Midlands Police and the alleged cover-up of the disaster. The potential offences for consideration include perverting the course of justice, conspiracy to pervert the course of justice and misconduct in public office.

The CPS will consider any other relevant offences on the evidence presented by both investigation teams. The information the IPCC has provided to the CPS about West Midlands Police and South Yorkshire Police runs to 61,000 pages and nearly 3,000 documents respectively, while the information provided by Operation Resolve runs to approximately 85,000 pages.

Further insight into the aspects of the IPCC investigation can be found here.

Both the IPCC and Operation Resolve teams have worked closely with the CPS during the investigation and will remain on hand to support the CPS throughout this decision-making period, undertaking any additional tasks as required.

Over 170 allegations of police misconduct continue to be investigated by both teams.

Updates will continue to be provided to the families of the 96 and their representatives.

A referral to the CPS does not mean that criminal charges will necessarily follow.

Sue Hemming, Head of CPS Special Crime and Counter Terrorism Division, said:

“Having received files from both Hillsborough investigations, we will now assess these in order to determine whether we have sufficient material on which to make charging decisions. Charging decisions will be based on the tests set out in the Code for Crown Prosecutors.”

AC Robert Beckley, Office in Overall Command of Operation Resolve said:

“Our task has been to investigate whether any individual or organisation is criminally culpable for their role either in the planning and preparation for the match or on the day of the game itself.

“The extensive file we have submitted, which contains over 35 million words, reflects four years of intense work from my team. As well as conducting a criminal investigation, for three years we also supported the coronial process in providing the coroner with thousands of documents, witness statements and reports to assist him in conducting the inquests.”

IPCC Deputy Chair Rachel Cerfontyne said:

“These criminal investigations into the circumstances surrounding the Hillsborough disaster are the largest investigations into alleged police wrongdoing ever undertaken in England and Wales.

“Conducting an inquiry of this scale and complexity, while supporting the longest running inquests in British legal history, has been a significant undertaking for the IPCC. Our criminal investigation has now substantially concluded.”

https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/news/hillsborough-investigations-refer-evidence-crown-prosecution-service
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2017, 03:17:44 pm »
I have re-read again the disgraceful sequence chosen by the Establishment in a blatant and outright attempt to pervert the course of justice since the Taylor report a year later.

The then DPP (would that have been Sir Allan Green - difficult to say as the chronology is not particularly clear?) decided to bury the matter and appallingly ruled "no prosecutions were justified."

A year later following accidental deaths decision was recorded, the HJC vowed to continue the search for Justice and Truth.
In 1997, after reviewing fresh evidence, Lord Justice Stuart-Smith said there was no such justification for a new inquiry.
Still the bereaved families battled on until 12 years later when the then Labour Government ruled that ALL evidence must be made available to all parties.
The results were made public by the Hillsborough Independent Panel in 2012 paving the way for the fresh inquests in the spring of 2014.

At last the truth was won!

I simply want to record here my utmost admiration for the efforts, for the hearts and the souls of those that REFUSED to be silenced despite the best efforts of the British Establishment to make certain that they did so.
I am in absolute awe of their commitment, their individual and collective strength and their determination to ensure that the truth came out however long the battle might be.

The solidarity and the steadfastness of people who have been the victims of every trick in the Establishment book in a series of dirty dealings to ensure that they were cheated of their right to justice, never ceases to amaze me. Their victory reinforces my total pride in our working class. I salute every single one who carried on that glorious struggle. So very proud of you all.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #174 on: November 24, 2017, 03:34:38 pm »
David Duckenfield bid to have Hillsborough legal costs paid rejected.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/david-duckenfield-bid-hillsborough-legal-13946981
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2018, 04:52:32 pm »
For info only

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/968165139810783232

Hillsborough: Court proceedings to continue against ex South Yorkshire police Chief Supt David Duckenfield, solely to allow him more legal aid funding. CPS intends to charge him with 95 counts of manslaughter; a Judge must lift a “stay” imposed in 2000 on prosecuting him further.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2018, 01:46:33 pm »
Posted without comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-43400437

Two police officers who investigated the aftermath of the Hillsborough disaster will not face charges.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the West Midlands Police officers' actions were a "cause for concern" but there was "insufficient evidence" to prove criminal offences took place.

Three former South Yorkshire police officers under review by the IOPC will not be referred to the CPS.

Ninety-six Liverpool fans died as a result of the crush on 15 April 1989.

It was alleged that a misleading or incomplete file was submitted to the Director of Public Prosecutions in 1990.

The CPS said in a statement: "There is evidence that some aspects of the investigation were not carried out to a high standard."

However, it said there was a "lack of evidence showing any deliberate plan or action by the suspects to hinder it".

'Disappointing'
There was difficulty in attributing responsibility for all of the failings to the suspects, the CPS added.

It has informed the families of Hillsborough victims in writing.

Sue Hemming, head of special crime and counter terrorism at the CPS, wrote in a letter that although the decision would be "disappointing... we have spent a significant amount of time reviewing and considering the evidence that was submitted to us".

She added: "As you know, the standard of evidence required for any criminal prosecution is high."

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), previously known as the Independent Police Complaints Commission, said it would not be considering any evidence relating to three former officers from South Yorkshire Police (SYP) over allegations of a "cover-up" by the force.

It said although there was "some indication" two of the three former officers may have committed a criminal offence, it was "not deemed appropriate" to refer the cases to the CPS.

The CPS had already rejected bringing criminal charges based on substantial evidence reviewed in 2016.

"No further evidence or legal matters have since been identified that could realistically alter that view," the IOPC said.

It said a referral could potentially delay the trials of the six people, including match commander and former Ch Supt David Duckenfield, already facing charges related to the disaster and its aftermath.

The 96 Liverpool fans died as a result of the crush at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium on 15 April 1989 before the FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2018, 02:39:21 pm »

From the IOPC website (formerly the IPCC - Independent Police Complaints Commission):-

https://policeconduct.gov.uk/news/three-former-south-yorkshire-police-officers-will-not-be-referred-cps-hillsborough-allegations
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2018, 02:40:12 pm »
David Conn @david_conn

Hillsborough: CPS decision not to charge two senior ex West Midlands police officers means no ex West Midlands officers to be prosecuted over the original 1989-90 investigation, about which bereaved families & survivors have protested for 28 years.
2:33 pm - 14 Mar 2018
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2018, 02:41:37 pm »

From the CPS website:-

'Hillsborough charging decisions' - 14th March 2018

https://www.cps.gov.uk/cps/news/hillsborough-charging-decisions-0
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 02:43:34 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #180 on: June 29, 2018, 10:42:22 am »
@david_conn

BREAKING Hillsborough: Judge Sir Peter Openshaw has lifted the "stay," the bar, on prosecuting ex South Yorkshire police Ch Supt David Duckenfield; he will now be tried for 95 counts of manslaughter.

@david_conn

BREAKING: Hillsborough: Judge has ruled that criminal charges will go ahead, to trial, against 4 more defendants: Graham Mackrell, Donald Denton, Alan Foster & Peter Metcalf.

Hillsborough: The court hearing of Sir Norman Bettison's application to "stay" the charges against him has been adjourned, will be heard on August 21.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline KennyVialli

• Main Stander
  • Keep the Faith - YNWA
« Reply #181 on: June 29, 2018, 11:04:51 am »
Just heard this on Sky news, came in here to report. Found I'd been beaten to it, but excellent news.

keep the faith & YNWA.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: June 29, 2018, 11:09:04 am »
Without commenting further: YNWA

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #183 on: June 29, 2018, 11:53:28 am »

'Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield will go on trial'...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-44656778

&

'Hillsborough police chief to face manslaughter trial'...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/29/hillsborough-police-commander-david-duckenfield-to-face-manslaughter-trial

Offline itsalltosh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #184 on: June 29, 2018, 12:37:44 pm »
Without commenting further: YNWA

YNWA

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #185 on: June 29, 2018, 06:18:03 pm »
YNWA
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2018, 10:51:14 am »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2018, 11:06:39 am »
@HFSG_Official chair Margaret Aspinall: "We have grave concerns about the handling of this case by the CPS and can confirm that we will be exercising our right to an independent review under the Right to Review scheme.”

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2018, 11:08:31 am »
Charges dropped against Bettison https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1031840694246273024?s=19

:no

:butt

Hillsborough charges against Sir Norman Bettison dropped

A former chief inspector accused of trying to blame Liverpool fans for the 1989 Hillsborough disaster has had all charges against him dropped.
Sir Norman Bettison, then of South Yorkshire Police, had faced four counts of misconduct in a public office.
He was accused of telling lies about the "culpability of fans" and his role in the wake of the tragedy.
Prosecutors said insufficient evidence meant there was no real prospect of securing a conviction.
The Crown Prosecution Service said because of changes in the evidence of two witnesses, and the death of a third, it would discontinue the case.
The decision was taken following a review of the evidence and was confirmed at a hearing at Preston Crown Court.
Five others, including match commander David Duckenfield who is accused of manslaughter by gross negligence of 95 fans, are due to face trial next year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45258766

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2018, 11:10:30 am »
None of us are happy about this news. Please do not do anything that could be used to claim prejudice in the trial of the remaining defendants. When the trials are over, you can say exactly what you think.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2018, 12:19:26 pm »
@HFSG_Official chair Margaret Aspinall: "We have grave concerns about the handling of this case by the CPS and can confirm that we will be exercising our right to an independent review under the Right to Review scheme.”

Good. And I wish you the very best of luck.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2018, 03:51:03 pm »

Will this nightmare never end for these poor people? Wishing you all the luck in the world, stay strong, stay brave. YNWA
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2018, 05:42:07 pm »
Will this nightmare never end for these poor people? Wishing you all the luck in the world, stay strong, stay brave. YNWA

Dunno mate,this was like a punch in the gut for me so I cannot even imagine what it was like for people who lost loved ones.

We can only hope that the others don't get off.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2018, 07:11:04 pm »
Dunno mate,this was like a punch in the gut for me so I cannot even imagine what it was like for people who lost loved ones.

We can only hope that the others don't get off.

I'm not sure how much can be said, but he could still face charges.

Those fighting will continue to do so regardless.

Offline Block G Raptor

• Kopite
  • Cóir do na Nócha Sé
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2018, 07:35:01 pm »
They wont fucking break us.

Online Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2018, 10:31:49 pm »
Probably best not to mention it on here in any way, he'll see the messages soon enough.

Noted.

Deleted.

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #196 on: August 22, 2018, 12:02:32 am »
They will never break the people of Liverpool and stay strong everyone you`ll never walk lone.
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2018, 11:19:01 am »
Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield denies gross negligence manslaughter.

Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield has pleaded not guilty to the gross negligence manslaughter of 95 Liverpool supporters.

The former chief superintendent, 74, appeared via videolink at Preston Crown Court for a trial preparation hearing.

The names of the 95 men, women and children he is charged with unlawfully killing were read out in court as the charge was put to him.

About 15 family members of victims were in the public gallery.

Mr Duckenfield was the police officer in charge at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest on April 15, 1989.

Former Sheffield Wednesday club secretary Graham Mackrell, 68, also pleaded not guilty to contravening a term or condition of the stadium's safety certificate and one health and safety offence.

Mr Duckenfield is charged in relation to 95 people who died following the crush in the terrace pens of Sheffield Wednesday's ground.

Under the law at the time, there can be no prosecution for the death of the 96th victim, Tony Bland, as he died more than a year and a day after his injuries were caused.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-45471339

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #198 on: December 6, 2018, 11:56:36 am »
Bid launched to halt prosecution against David Duckenfield

Application to stop proceedings is being heard at Preston Crown Court

The legal representatives for Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield have made an application to halt his prosecution over allegations of manslaughter by gross negligence.

Benjamin Myers, QC, today launched the bid for a legal order called a ‘stay’, which would stop the proceedings against the 73-year-old.

The request came at a hearing before judge Sir Peter Openshaw at Preston Crown Court this morning.

Duckenfield faces 95 counts of manslaughter by gross negligence in connection with the Hillsborough tragedy.

Ninety six Liverpool FC fans died as a result of the disaster, which unfolded at the 1989 FA Cup semi final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

The defendant has not been charged in relation to the death of Tony Bland, the 96th supporter to pass away, due to then laws regarding the length of time before he died after the tragedy.

The former South Yorkshire Police chief superintendent is currently scheduled to face a trial alongside former Sheffield Wednesday club secretary Graham Mackrell, 68, who is charged with an offence involving the stadium safety certificate and a health and safety offence.

That trial is due to begin on January 14 of next year.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/bid-launched-halt-prosecution-against-15514449

Posted without comment

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan