Author Topic: The Albert  (Read 33029 times)

Offline jsl2000

• Main Stander
The Albert
« on: November 15, 2013, 03:30:09 pm »
Couldn't find anything about this please move mods if this has already been asked but

With all the regeneration of anfield whats happens to 'The Albert'

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The Albert
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 05:35:58 pm »
I think it potentially stays as part of what will be The Avenue.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:58:10 pm »
I think the Albert will be gone.

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:50:31 am »
Why can't it be incorporated in the expansion? It's history, it's heritage and an attraction in itslef.
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline Jonny5

• .... . .-.. .-.. ---
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 97 ynwa 39
« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2014, 03:44:49 pm »
 if you look at the SRF document there is a grey structure front left side of the Kop, from that it looks like the Albert, one image in the SRF looks like it says pub on it but cant be 100%.
When you walk through a storm hold your head up high and dont be afraid of the dark

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: March 2, 2014, 04:00:33 pm »
if you look at the SRF document there is a grey structure front left side of the Kop, from that it looks like the Albert, one image in the SRF looks like it says pub on it but cant be 100%.

It is shown as an existing building but not sure that means it'll stay.

I imagine if the owners were offer a bigger, better laid out, property around abouts the same area then they'd go for it. Then again not sure if it's brewery owned or what.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #6 on: March 5, 2014, 06:20:57 am »
It would be a big shame if it was bulldozed for some generic building.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 8, 2014, 05:44:07 pm »
It would be a big shame if it was bulldozed for some generic building.

The smart move would be to offer the owners a new lease in a fan village

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 08:55:08 am »
The smart move would be to offer the owners a new lease in a fan village

...a replica....like the Cavern!!??

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 12:14:25 am »
The Albert must stay and be incorporated into any new design.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 12:43:57 am »
The Albert must stay and be incorporated into any new design.

Of all the things that must stay when you think of expanding and renovating Anfield, for me (and I imagine most people) The Albert isn't one.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 01:39:17 pm »
Of all the things that must stay when you think of expanding and renovating Anfield, for me (and I imagine most people) The Albert isn't one.
Why?   

It may be a bit run down, and tatty, these days, but it's just as much part of ther history of Anfield as anything else.

I don't drink in there myself, matchday, as ten deep at the bar is not my idea of having a matchday tipple, but who am I to say who does enjoy it.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 02:24:10 pm »
Why?   

It may be a bit run down, and tatty, these days, but it's just as much part of ther history of Anfield as anything else.

I don't drink in there myself, matchday, as ten deep at the bar is not my idea of having a matchday tipple, but who am I to say who does enjoy it.

Because if your line of what needs to be kept includes the likes of The Albert, then there are a whole load of things that should be kept which would no doubt then prevent any changes to the ground ever.

It's got history, and for some people it will have great great memories, but I don't think this means it is a necessity to be kept.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 04:17:38 pm »
Because if your line of what needs to be kept includes the likes of The Albert, then there are a whole load of things that should be kept which would no doubt then prevent any changes to the ground ever.

It's got history, and for some people it will have great great memories, but I don't think this means it is a necessity to be kept.
Erm... if it's not within the footprint of the ground development, or consesion stands/facilities etc. outside, then why does it have to go?

There's already a lack of drinking space outside the ground on match days, and although the club may be adding their own, to get a more lucrative slice of the 'ale' pie, thats not to say it still doesn't have a place in the grander scheme of things, for match day drinkers.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 04:25:16 pm »
Erm... if it's not within the footprint of the ground development, or consesion stands/facilities etc. outside, then why does it have to go?

There's already a lack of drinking space outside the ground on match days, and although the club may be adding their own, to get a more lucrative slice of the 'ale' pie, thats not to say it still doesn't have a place in the grander scheme of things, for match day drinkers.

I'm not saying it does have to go, I'm saying I don't think its HAS to be kept if it means we have to 'make do' with the design to fit it in. Obviously if its not in the way I'm not saying to get rid of it.

And there will be a hell of a lot of new drinking space created, not owned by the club, on the 96th Avenue and the done up Walton Breck Rd. Saying that though, given how many pubs in the sera have shut down in recent years, I'd hazard a guess that demand isnt that far ahead of supply currently.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 11:48:40 pm »
Hope it stays, nightmare getting served sometimes but it's the easiest place to go for a bevvy if you have an extra 20 mins before the match.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 11:30:41 pm »
Hope it stays, nightmare getting served sometimes but it's the easiest place to go for a bevvy if you have an extra 20 mins before the match.

The Albert is still in on the new plans released today mate - though may get even busier when it's all done :)

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 07:24:15 am »
It was actually the first thing I looked for when I saw this. Great that it is staying.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 10:38:41 pm »
LFC / Council dont own the land the Albert is on. But it's gonna look very odd where it is within the new fan park area. LFC should help renovate it, make a beer garden on the side and make it a nice feature.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 11:13:23 pm »
To those who cant understand why or wish the Albert not to stay, I say this:

If you're feeling tired and weary
And your heart just skips a beat
You'll get your fucking head kicked in
If you walk down Heyworth Street
If you come into The Albert
You'll hear our famous noise
Get out you Everton bastards
We're the Billy Shankly Boys

We're the boys from The Kop
We're loyal and we're true
And when we play the Everton
We're ready for a do
To the cry of "No Surrender"
You'll hear our famous noise
Get out you Everton bastards
We're the Billy Shankly Boys
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:15:13 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 11:14:01 pm »
LFC / Council dont own the land the Albert is on. But it's gonna look very odd where it is within the new fan park area. LFC should help renovate it, make a beer garden on the side and make it a nice feature.
Agreed. It'll never happen, but I'd love to see the club help pay for a renovation and expansion. Hell, take like a £0.10 royalty on all the beer sold on match days or something if they have to.

Offline cliffm

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • The thing about common sense is it isn't common
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 03:34:18 pm »
An extension is long overdue..hopefully not one with a flat roof and a low ceiling.  Biggest tv screen possible too.  And a much bigger bar.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 03:52:11 pm »
An extension is long overdue..hopefully not one with a flat roof and a low ceiling.  Biggest tv screen possible too.  And a much bigger bar.

More likely the club comes to agreement to give the owners a lease on a much larger bar around the ground (on 96th Avenue?) and it gets knocked down. Really can't see it getting expanded given it's position.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 05:16:22 pm »
Surely it is just staying where and as it is?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 05:18:47 pm »
Surely it is just staying where and as it is?

At the moment yeah that appears to be the plan. It's tiny though, and takes an age to get served in so expect the owners would jump at the chance for something larger and close to the ground, and think the club/council would rather that area was completely given over to the 'fan zone' and the clubs on concessions.

Offline ripsaw19

• Kopite
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 02:28:32 pm »
Love The Albert and I'm made up that it's staying. It does need a refurb though, but it's a part of LFC history and needs to remain
ST Waiting List Position - 1556

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 02:08:08 pm »
If you look at the plans, the red outline that defines the LFC boundaries make a small detour round The Albert, which means the Club doesn't own it or look like it plans to own it.

It's not in the way, ok it looks out of place but, it's part of the clubs history so why not just leave it where it is.
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline Kop Kenny

• Main Stander
« Reply #27 on: August 6, 2015, 02:01:55 pm »
I don't think you can just call it part of our history and therefore it must stay, on that premise then the whole ground would never have moved on.

I think you have to divide the emotional tie from a practical perspective and draw the conclusion that it would be easy to re-build something that looks the same but incorporates a much larger facility that is more suited to match day revenues. The fact it takes an absolute age to get served in it and then chug down a pint in standing room only where there's just about room to bend your own elbow pretty much answers the question on whether it should be redeveloped or not.

You could recreate it but in a much bigger and more practical form nearby in a "Rover's Return" retro style, whilst providing the much needed beer garden, large screen and expanded bar with food it is crying out for. To label everything old, cramped and shite as historic is to miss the point that this is supposed to be part of the amenities for match day and is just completely inadequate in it's current form and would restrict any future development of the Kop also.

Whilst the redevelopment of the ground is going on for that whole area it presents an ideal opportunity to solve this problem once and for all whilst there is plenty of land available to tackle the issue. The only problem might be who owns it and if they are in favour of the idea.
Trained killer and Black Pudding 3rd Dan in the ancient Lancashire martial art of Ecky Thump. Cyber Nerd by day as a convincing cover.

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 6, 2015, 02:29:31 pm »
LFC would be wise to spend a few grand making the Albert improved, smarten it up, stick a beer garden outside and work with the owners. Otherwise it will look a bit odd among the new Avenue and Main Stand area.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #29 on: August 6, 2015, 02:34:07 pm »
LFC would be wise to spend a few grand making the Albert improved, smarten it up, stick a beer garden outside and work with the owners. Otherwise it will look a bit odd among the new Avenue and Main Stand area.

Not sure why'd they spend money helping a private enterprise when they will no doubt prefer to entice people into the stadium to spend money there.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #30 on: August 6, 2015, 02:37:03 pm »
I don't think you can just call it part of our history and therefore it must stay, on that premise then the whole ground would never have moved on.

I think you have to divide the emotional tie from a practical perspective and draw the conclusion that it would be easy to re-build something that looks the same but incorporates a much larger facility that is more suited to match day revenues. The fact it takes an absolute age to get served in it and then chug down a pint in standing room only where there's just about room to bend your own elbow pretty much answers the question on whether it should be redeveloped or not.

You could recreate it but in a much bigger and more practical form nearby in a "Rover's Return" retro style, whilst providing the much needed beer garden, large screen and expanded bar with food it is crying out for. To label everything old, cramped and shite as historic is to miss the point that this is supposed to be part of the amenities for match day and is just completely inadequate in it's current form and would restrict any future development of the Kop also.

Whilst the redevelopment of the ground is going on for that whole area it presents an ideal opportunity to solve this problem once and for all whilst there is plenty of land available to tackle the issue. The only problem might be who owns it and if they are in favour of the idea.

There are other pubs around the ground, but the fact is that 45,000 people (53,000-58,000 in the future) swamping the area for a couple of hours before and after the match means any pub will be difficult to get served in. The Sandon is far bigger but it can be just as difficult to get served there on a busy match day. If you don't like the Albert, don't drink there.

Rebuilding it as a fake 'Rover Return' heritage style pub would be horrendous.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 6, 2015, 04:46:28 pm »
Not sure why'd they spend money helping a private enterprise when they will no doubt prefer to entice people into the stadium to spend money there.

Similar to a developer painting the house next door in order to make their house look smarter. Unless LFC are happy to have it randomly sat there looking increasingly decrepit and out of place after spending £150 million on making the area look smart.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #32 on: August 6, 2015, 05:05:10 pm »
Similar to a developer painting the house next door in order to make their house look smarter. Unless LFC are happy to have it randomly sat there looking increasingly decrepit and out of place after spending £150 million on making the area look smart.

A developer would do so as it will effect either a. the value of his house, or b. his ability to sell/let his house.

Do you think The Albert looking decrepit will have any effect on either the value of the club or their ability to sell tickets? The answer is no.

What next, the club doing up the house over the road because it looks decrepit? The shop down the road? The old cinema?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #33 on: August 6, 2015, 05:17:15 pm »
A developer would do so as it will effect either a. the value of his house, or b. his ability to sell/let his house.

Do you think The Albert looking decrepit will have any effect on either the value of the club or their ability to sell tickets? The answer is no.

What next, the club doing up the house over the road because it looks decrepit? The shop down the road? The old cinema?

They could repoint the Sandon Wall. Looks a state.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #34 on: August 6, 2015, 05:20:59 pm »
They could repoint the Sandon Wall. Looks a state.

They can build them some new toilets in the front room too, as they are a right state and so small!

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 6, 2015, 07:26:20 pm »
The club should build their own boozer outside the ground!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #36 on: August 6, 2015, 07:40:15 pm »
The club should build their own boozer outside the ground!

For the prices beer is inside the ground, if they did that outside it would be empty  ;D

Offline Jonny5

• .... . .-.. .-.. ---
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 97 ynwa 39
« Reply #37 on: August 6, 2015, 09:15:55 pm »
i hope it stays but the club needs to get together with the owners and work it into the plans for the area.

it will look out of place it the work stops a couple of feet away and its left in the state it is.
When you walk through a storm hold your head up high and dont be afraid of the dark

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 8, 2015, 06:36:42 pm »

why not.
what the hell is wrong with our owners giving a bit back, and kepping the local community sweet.
everything doesnt have to be cost effective  you know.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #39 on: August 8, 2015, 06:43:18 pm »
why not.
what the hell is wrong with our owners giving a bit back, and kepping the local community sweet.
everything doesnt have to be cost effective  you know.

Maybe not in cloud cuckoo land where you live, however (and probably unfortunately) this is a business and they aren't going to start handing out money to other businesses in the area.

Local charities, local community building, etc. yeah, sure.

A local business (is it even locally owned anymore?) so they don't have to pay themselves to give it a lick of paint, nah.