Author Topic: Any vinyl junkies out there....?  (Read 69891 times)

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Any vinyl junkies out there....?
« Reply #200 on: June 21, 2016, 11:09:10 am »
 :o

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aEbAaL7fPl4?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aEbAaL7fPl4?fs=1</a>

Offline Lager

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2016, 08:05:12 pm »
The La's album is getting its first ever re-press in Europe and first worldwide since 2009. Priced £27 on Amazon at the minute which is ridiculous but expect that to come down before the release date:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Las-VINYL/dp/B01F6DLK2C/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1466795119&sr=1-1&keywords=the+la%27s

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: December 1, 2016, 10:17:38 pm »
Has anyone put their collection up on discogs? Mate of mine has, and his collection has a max worth of about £100k. Am not quite in that bracket (!), but for ages I referred to discogs for this and that, and always wondered what the 'add to collection' button was all about. For years I've wanted to do an excel spreadsheet on my collection, but it was all too daunting and frankly never had the time. I even started painting pictures of my records (long story) to catalogue them that way - an idea that never really worked (I like lists) - but it sparked another idea which I'd love to do still... but on discogs... you can do it with a simple click of a button (simple-ish anyway). Some records have 145 versions and you have to click the right one, so it can be a ball ache at times.

Have only put up 145 so far - yet to open my boxes, but a thoroughly enjoyable excercise.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #203 on: December 1, 2016, 10:28:44 pm »
Has anyone put their collection up on discogs? Mate of mine has, and his collection has a max worth of about £100k. Am not quite in that bracket (!), but for ages I referred to discogs for this and that, and always wondered what the 'add to collection' button was all about. For years I've wanted to do an excel spreadsheet on my collection, but it was all too daunting and frankly never had the time. I even started painting pictures of my records (long story) to catalogue them that way - an idea that never really worked (I like lists) - but it sparked another idea which I'd love to do still... but on discogs... you can do it with a simple click of a button (simple-ish anyway). Some records have 145 versions and you have to click the right one, so it can be a ball ache at times.

Have only put up 145 so far - yet to open my boxes, but a thoroughly enjoyable excercise.

Yeah, I do mine as I go. I have not got a huge collection, but it's fun to log it all:

We are Liverpool!

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #204 on: December 1, 2016, 11:27:13 pm »
Really looking for a copy of the Fratellis Costello Music or more specifically the single "Whistle For The Choir" if anyone has any ideas.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: December 1, 2016, 11:49:21 pm »
Yeah, I do mine as I go. I have not got a huge collection, but it's fun to log it all:

Got one or two of those... is that an original Sterntaler by Rother on vinyl you've got? Love that album. And what's the LP in the bottom right corner? Think I have that... just can't bloody place it and it's quietly driving me nuts.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #206 on: December 2, 2016, 12:09:32 am »
Got one or two of those... is that an original Sterntaler by Rother on vinyl you've got? Love that album. And what's the LP in the bottom right corner? Think I have that... just can't bloody place it and it's quietly driving me nuts.

Meat Puppets II, cracker of an album. Yes, that's an original copy of Sterntaler. Pretty cheap from Discogs as well. Here's some more from my list. Just cos like!

We are Liverpool!

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #207 on: December 2, 2016, 12:10:56 am »
Really looking for a copy of the Fratellis Costello Music or more specifically the single "Whistle For The Choir" if anyone has any ideas.

You are welcome:

https://www.discogs.com/Fratellis-Whistle-For-The-Choir-The-Budhill-Singles-Club/master/245995
We are Liverpool!

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: December 2, 2016, 12:24:45 am »
Meat Puppets II, cracker of an album.

Ah of course! Ha... the relief! Have that on a CD reissue only.

Haven't bought anything thru discogs as yet, tho I did get a message from someone asking if I was selling a CD of mine. I didn't realise my collection was 'live' - but was quietly touched. We'll have to swap discog ID's thru PM sometime. :thumbup

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #209 on: December 2, 2016, 04:18:31 am »
You are welcome:

https://www.discogs.com/Fratellis-Whistle-For-The-Choir-The-Budhill-Singles-Club/master/245995

You sir, are a legend. Just ordered. And it's the blue record like I was after too!
« Last Edit: December 2, 2016, 04:20:38 am by Tonyh8su »

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #210 on: December 2, 2016, 04:56:56 am »
Ah of course! Ha... the relief! Have that on a CD reissue only.

Haven't bought anything thru discogs as yet, tho I did get a message from someone asking if I was selling a CD of mine. I didn't realise my collection was 'live' - but was quietly touched. We'll have to swap discog ID's thru PM sometime. :thumbup

By the way, i know you dig the mighty Ween. GodWeenSatan live is out now. Recorded in 2001:

http://ween.shop.musictoday.com/product/WELP11/godweensatan-live-lp?cp=81258_81440
We are Liverpool!

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: December 2, 2016, 06:14:23 pm »
yes, just ordered the Aliens OST Reissue. on that note, i must say i was disappointed visiting both Edinburgh and Liverpool. felt the record shops were fewer and had poorer variety than i expected and hoped for. so many places just have the same generic reissues.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: December 2, 2016, 07:00:02 pm »

I put a chunk of my collection up a few years back and sold most of them. It took me a about a week to list them all. Made a nice few quid though, and sold a lot of them for what I paid for them or more.
I had to add a lot of new listings as there was some quite esoteric stuff and promos in there, which was quite tedious. And yes, browsing all the different versions and releases to make sure you had the right one was a pain.
It was a bit sad letting some of them go, even though I was only selling things I didn't care that much for. Each one reminded me of certain times in my life, or people and places. Some of them I could never let go even though they're just stuck in boxes in the cupboard now.
I could probably do with another clean out as I rarely get the record deck out these days and still have a lot of nice LPs. I stopped buying vinyl a few years ago for various reasons. Mostly because I really missed browsing record shops. Buying online was never as much fun. Record shops for me were an education and places of discovery. There were things you would find and be compelled to buy because you didn't know if you'd ever find them again. Now I can go online and there's 100 copies on ebay or discogs.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: December 2, 2016, 10:05:53 pm »
I put a chunk of my collection up a few years back and sold most of them.

I'd hate to sell mine. If there was a fire in the house, the vinyl would get taken out first, and it's not a huge collection by any means - about 3 metres - but mean alot to me. Not going to make me thousands either, but got one or too desirables in there. Just seen that a mint copy of Aphex Twin's 4xLP boxset of Drukqs goes for about £400. Now when I bought my copy (and it's a pain in the arse as it's rectangular), the fella behind the counter told me not to open it as it would be worth loads down the line. But I want to listen to it! I thought about buying two copies. Should have bought 10. Ah well.

I miss that record shop session badly too. I still buy vinyl tho, almost always. The old Rough Trade in Covent Garden I loved. Record fairs are usually extortionate. My record collecting buddy I mentioned above (with the £100k collection), went round all the 2nd hand shops and car boots when vinyl was getting thrown out years ago and did very well. Been buying and selling since we were at school. Had everything by The Damned at one point. 100's of Damned records. Still goes to car boots every weekend. Think I'll get back on that horse with the car boots - I'll always flick thru a charity shop box - always. Probably my favourite past-time flicking thru records. Wish I had a bit more £$!

By the way, i know you dig the mighty Ween. GodWeenSatan live is out now. Recorded in 2001:

http://ween.shop.musictoday.com/product/WELP11/godweensatan-live-lp?cp=81258_81440

I'm trying to tell myself not to buy anymore before Christmas. Very difficult.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #214 on: December 14, 2016, 02:05:20 am »

I'm trying to tell myself not to buy anymore before Christmas. Very difficult.

Had a listen to the Ween album on Spotify yesterday. Outstanding as usual. Nicole being an early highlight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uio4v2mpZeo

$40 US plus shipping though. That's not good!
We are Liverpool!

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: December 14, 2016, 02:24:32 am »
Had a listen to the Ween album on Spotify yesterday. Outstanding as usual. Nicole being an early highlight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uio4v2mpZeo

$40 US plus shipping though. That's not good!

And shipping from the US is fucking ridiculous. Have felt that pain. Cost me £20 to get a CD shipped over. It did contain the cremated remains of the bands bass player, but still. Also bought a load of stuff by the Gutters (and related) https://thegutters.bandcamp.com/album/should-we-make-a-7 Laptop pro is one of those underground classic tunes that will always be enjoyed by the underground. It should be a number one pop single. But yeah,... postal costs are mental.

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #216 on: December 14, 2016, 05:06:15 pm »
Not sure if anyone else is in the Bournemouth area (only us wools) but a new vinyl shop has opened on Old Christchurch Road called The Vault.

Popped in today and some good stuff.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #217 on: February 13, 2017, 09:54:35 am »
Set up my record player again and hooked up to my home studio speakers... 10 years of In Rainbows, 20 years of OK Computer. Lovely vinyl packages these, got the King of Limbs too and that's a clear LP!

I want a bootleg maker to do The La's kitchen tape...

Some others I have 2nd hand or new:

- Clear Spot
- Syd Barret's Opel
- Piper At the Gates of Dawn
- My Generation
- The Doors
- The Queen Is Dead
-F#0# Infinity (Godspeed!)

:D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:09:33 am by ToneLa »

Offline Ronnie McCart

• Main Stander
« Reply #218 on: February 13, 2017, 04:33:15 pm »
Got a Rega RP1 a few years ago, nice simple turntable.

Last album picked up was New Order - Substance probably their best compilation album.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: March 21, 2017, 11:07:46 pm »
Was a great article a few months back on the collection of Mats Gustaffson - contemporary Swedish jazz hero of mine... all 2 and a 1/2 tonnes of it!

http://thevinylfactory.com/features/crate-diggers-interview-mats-gustafsson/

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: March 22, 2017, 12:24:26 pm »
Was a great article a few months back on the collection of Mats Gustaffson - contemporary Swedish jazz hero of mine... all 2 and a 1/2 tonnes of it!

Great picture, and interview - thanks for putting it up, love to have a flick through those shelves. Pretty bothered about the record on the floor and proximity to that child though.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: March 22, 2017, 12:31:01 pm »
Bought the reissue of Is A Woman by Lambchop, been waiting to get a copy since 200and fucking2, one of my favourite albums ever, comes in the post and the first disc is warped. Fuck off.

I swear vinyl quality control has dropped with the resurgence in record buying - I bought two copies of Ryley Walker's LP last year and BOTH came completely flawed and bent, poor old Ryley, I was so fucked off after that I didn't end up replacing it.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: March 22, 2017, 01:00:00 pm »
Bought the reissue of Is A Woman by Lambchop, been waiting to get a copy since 200and fucking2, one of my favourite albums ever, comes in the post and the first disc is warped. Fuck off.

I swear vinyl quality control has dropped with the resurgence in record buying - I bought two copies of Ryley Walker's LP last year and BOTH came completely flawed and bent, poor old Ryley, I was so fucked off after that I didn't end up replacing it.

Ouch! Love that record too.

Yeah i think the 180 gram fad is a sham. Cutting them same as they are cutting the 140s but charging through the nose. Brought a couple of special edition new releases back last year myself. Sound quality reasons mostly. Been considering just buying new release as cds lately. Pity, don't mind paying when i can afford it.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #223 on: March 22, 2017, 06:36:12 pm »

Thanks for heads up on that - great album.

The quality can be flawed with the coloured ones but some labels take real care with pressings - Domino, Paradise Of Bachelors spring to mind. Merge are normally good too - where did you get Lambchop?

That Ryley Walker album was so badly packaged tho - my coloured one plays great but the sleeve is damaged.

I follow a guy on twitter who buys so much vinyl and says his return rate is 1 in 3 - that is awful.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: March 23, 2017, 11:36:58 am »
Thanks for heads up on that - great album.

The quality can be flawed with the coloured ones but some labels take real care with pressings - Domino, Paradise Of Bachelors spring to mind. Merge are normally good too - where did you get Lambchop?

That Ryley Walker album was so badly packaged tho - my coloured one plays great but the sleeve is damaged.

I follow a guy on twitter who buys so much vinyl and says his return rate is 1 in 3 - that is awful.

Lambchop was from Juno records. They've sent out a replacement so we'll see what state that arrives in. The other two I ordered, On The Beach by Neil Young and Solid Air by John Martyn, were both top notch.

Had to return the last Bill Ryder Jones one to Domino direct as there was a big flaw in the LP, they dealt with it quickly though.

Paradise of Bachelors have always been solid when I've bought their stuff.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: March 23, 2017, 01:16:20 pm »
Anyone got their collection named on their insurance? Mine's hardly like something out of High Fidelity, but I've got about 100 12's that have taken a decent while to curate and would be very sad if they got wrecked or nicked (and replacing stuff like XTC's Nonsuch and some of the earlier Beatles pressings is going to cost hundreds, I would imagine).

Hadn't ever thought about that.
Need to renew mine anyway so might look into it.
Do you have to list all the valuable ones one by one?
I've got musical instrument insurance and I got so bored of listing every piece of gear I had, every pedal worth over £50.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: March 23, 2017, 02:04:40 pm »
Hadn't ever thought about that.
Need to renew mine anyway so might look into it.
Do you have to list all the valuable ones one by one?
I've got musical instrument insurance and I got so bored of listing every piece of gear I had, every pedal worth over £50.
Not sure how they do it now but years ago you only listed individual items within the collection if they were valued at over £500.  We had our vinyl collection insured for £20,000 which cost us very little and despite the fact we probably wouldn't have tried replacing 50% of them.

I tried inputting them onto a database a few times but in reality it was months worth of work so just got lots of photos as proof the collection existed and numbers involved.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: March 23, 2017, 05:10:59 pm »
Lambchop was from Juno records. They've sent out a replacement so we'll see what state that arrives in.

The replacement has just arrived, with exactly the same problem. Frustrating!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #228 on: March 23, 2017, 07:54:57 pm »
The replacement has just arrived, with exactly the same problem. Frustrating!

What is the issue man?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: March 24, 2017, 10:35:55 am »
What is the issue man?

Just warped discs, i.e they're not flat and you can see the needle moving up and down and the record slurs whenever it reaches the peak. Same thing I had with the Ryley Walker one last year. Dunno if they left them out in the sun or what ;D

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #230 on: March 24, 2017, 10:50:25 am »
Just warped discs, i.e they're not flat and you can see the needle moving up and down and the record slurs whenever it reaches the peak. Same thing I had with the Ryley Walker one last year. Dunno if they left them out in the sun or what ;D

You can fix warped discs, not entirely sure how easy it is though.
We are Liverpool!

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: March 24, 2017, 12:15:08 pm »
I think one of the issues with vinyl production/quality control might be that they simply don't have the time to do it.

There are very few producers and they are at their limits following the surge in vinyl production over the past few years. Lead time is around 12 weeks for vinyl production at the moment.

These issues are also the reason why vinyl was scrapped by record labels, too expensive to make and deliver and store and too easy to fuck up. I don't think there have been many significant advances in the technology either really over the past few decades.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #232 on: April 14, 2017, 01:27:05 pm »
Record Store Day next weekend.

Anyone going?

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: April 14, 2017, 02:04:52 pm »
Going where?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #234 on: April 14, 2017, 03:08:43 pm »

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: April 14, 2017, 03:14:40 pm »
To RSD
Which one? I'll have to have a decent look who is on in which city.

Here's the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion in my local record shop a couple of years ago. They were stoned off their tits but still boss.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #236 on: April 14, 2017, 03:37:53 pm »
I mean more for vinyl rather than gigs.

British Sea Power playing my local one.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: April 14, 2017, 04:16:16 pm »
Nah, don't trust myself with vinyl these days. Far too easy to fill the house.

British Sea Power should be boss. Hope they bring the bear suits.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #238 on: April 14, 2017, 04:39:43 pm »
Boss that.

My local shop is doing a full on micro festival for this, so will definitely be there. I will also have a hangover as it's my work's night out before, so will undoubtedly make some poor coloured vinyl decisions.

Haha.

I did that one year with my brother .

Rocked down on 2 hours sleep - he was still drinking and spent a shitton of money

Offline Lager

• Main Stander
« Reply #239 on: April 15, 2017, 12:58:35 am »
Record Store Day next weekend.

Anyone going?

There's 3 or 4 records I want but I've just moved to Kingston and people always queue outside Banquet Records from about 9pm the night before so I don't know if I can be arsed with it. The prices are a joke as well