Author Topic: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies  (Read 1048545 times)

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies
« Reply #13440 on: May 30, 2017, 03:52:32 pm »
In the strictest sense, that might be true, but I'd far rather take in a valid one than one which expired in the previous decade and avoid the further scrutiny using expired documentation might encourage.

If I was already in the job then it would matter far less, but Kellan's not even had the interview yet and I'd want as many factors in my favour as possible.
Not really, all that is being asked is proof of the right to work, essentially citizenship of the UK or wider EEA. Any UK passport, expired or otherwise, proves citizenship of the UK and hence the right to work.
quick edit - as long as you are recognisable in the photo!
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13441 on: May 30, 2017, 04:33:58 pm »
Conversely, I work for a UK Bank and can guarantee that the right to work documentation is a box-ticking exercise that HR have to go through.

If an applicant provided an old passport (and it's valid for the purpose) then it would in no way prejudice the application/interview.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13442 on: May 30, 2017, 04:46:40 pm »
Surely her right to work is covered by her NI documentation?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13443 on: May 30, 2017, 09:57:05 pm »
Why are application forms so shit? I fucking hate them

This has now become

Why are interviews so shit? I fucking hate them.

I'd honestly rather do 10 or 20 aptitude tests than this 35 minute fucking grilling session that has no bearing on my ability to be an EO2
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #13444 on: May 30, 2017, 11:50:24 pm »
This has now become

Why are interviews so shit? I fucking hate them.

I'd honestly rather do 10 or 20 aptitude tests than this 35 minute fucking grilling session that has no bearing on my ability to be an EO2
Always found interviews a really shit way to judge a potential employee. You just need to be a good talker (and be a good bullshitter too) and you've got the job.

Application forms are also shit, I always avoid them if I can. Much rather stick to the normal letter and CV format.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13445 on: June 1, 2017, 12:07:34 pm »
Can anyone recommend a pub in Windermere (Bowness) which will show the Champions League final this weekend?

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13446 on: June 3, 2017, 10:52:07 pm »
Need some electrical help.  I have a double electrical socket in an outbuilding thats attached to the house which is being demolished tomorrow and I need to change it to an outdoor, waterproof one.  Can I just remove what's there and rewire a waterproof one to the existing wiring?

The existing one was done professionally about 13yrs ago, is on the rear, external wall of the house with no cables as it's back to back with an internal kitchen socket??  Not sure if it's the last of a ring?  Or part of a spur??

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13447 on: June 4, 2017, 04:02:29 pm »
Can anyone recommend a pub in Windermere (Bowness) which will show the Champions League final this weekend?

Stag's Head Hotel, in case anyone finds themselves in a similar predicament in the future.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #13448 on: June 4, 2017, 05:41:10 pm »
How can i find a mates mobile number. Not for nefarious reasons but my mobile went belly up so i dont have his.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13449 on: June 4, 2017, 06:10:08 pm »
How can i find a mates mobile number. Not for nefarious reasons but my mobile went belly up so i dont have his.

If it's stored to the sim, you could stick it in another phone. Or if your phone was synced to Gmail or something, it might be in there. Alternatively, go to his house and ask him for it.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13450 on: June 4, 2017, 07:52:04 pm »
Give him a ring and ask him to text it to your phone.  :wave

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13451 on: June 4, 2017, 08:03:43 pm »

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13453 on: June 8, 2017, 01:04:04 am »
I want to show my roommate a scene from a movie that is oddly terrifying and I can't remember the name of it. If I remember correctly the movie was actually pretty bad itself. But from what I remember, the scene is of a guy with his mouth taped laying on the floor, it's a continuous shot, and slowly this creature, a man walking on all fours with a mask facing forward, slowly creeps up to the guy. Any ideas?
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #13454 on: June 8, 2017, 01:05:44 am »
I want to show my roommate a scene from a movie that is oddly terrifying and I can't remember the name of it. If I remember correctly the movie was actually pretty bad itself. But from what I remember, the scene is of a guy with his mouth taped laying on the floor, it's a continuous shot, and slowly this creature, a man walking on all fours with a mask facing forward, slowly creeps up to the guy. Any ideas?
The fuck have you been watching  :o

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13455 on: June 8, 2017, 01:06:26 am »
The fuck have you been watching  :o
I don't know!
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13456 on: June 12, 2017, 04:35:33 pm »
Anyone here run a small limited company? Need some advice on something.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #13457 on: June 12, 2017, 04:37:51 pm »
Anyone here run a small limited company? Need some advice on something.

I run 2.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13458 on: June 12, 2017, 04:45:16 pm »

Is it Brokeback Mountain?

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #13459 on: June 12, 2017, 06:53:07 pm »
Applied for a job with a company who has asked me to gather evidence of CPD. What does this mean?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13460 on: June 12, 2017, 06:54:30 pm »
Applied for a job with a company who has asked me to gather evidence of CPD. What does this mean?

Continuing Professional Development. I.e. Training since you qualified for the job.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13461 on: June 12, 2017, 09:27:33 pm »
SP is correct and you can also include being a member of a trade association and even reading their publications to keep abreast of emerging trends within your industry, attending seminars, various types of networking. CPD doesn't necessarily need to be a substantial portfolio, just something that evidences an insight in to benchmarking etc and keeping up to date in your field of work.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #13462 on: June 12, 2017, 10:17:26 pm »
Ah I haven't really done anything like that due to me working in a very small company. Guess I'll have to give this job a miss then.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #13463 on: June 12, 2017, 10:19:13 pm »
SP is correct and you can also include being a member of a trade association and even reading their publications to keep abreast of emerging trends within your industry, attending seminars, various types of networking. CPD doesn't necessarily need to be a substantial portfolio, just something that evidences an insight in to benchmarking etc and keeping up to date in your field of work.

We (law) have to do a certain amount of hours every year and then sign something saying we did so we can get our licence to practise.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13464 on: June 12, 2017, 10:30:31 pm »
Ah I haven't really done anything like that due to me working in a very small company. Guess I'll have to give this job a miss then.

Bullshit is your friend. You can always use the line that you current employer was small and did not have a formal CPD programme, but I kept my skill current, and expanded my skills by doing X, Y and Z.

Training Courses are the obvious thing, but also something as simple as reading relevant books, even media articles can be spun as being relevant. The words mentored and shadows are great - it really means chatting over coffee in the kitchen with someone more experienced. Spin the small company experience as being relevant - within a small company you have less rigid demarcation of jobs, so you gained wider experiences than a similar employee at a larger company would - you can dovetail into being self-motivated and capable of working independently.

It is an HR box tick exercise, but you can spin it to sell yourself. The lack of a CPD plan is a blackmark again your employer, not so much you - if you have big enough balls, you could even spin it as a reason for leaving...

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13465 on: June 12, 2017, 10:36:17 pm »
SP is correct, there's a lot you can write or produce which perhaps a potential employer can't contradict or question.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13466 on: June 12, 2017, 11:31:40 pm »

They don't know that. All my answers for my interview on Wednesday are made up. It's competency based, and there are 5 or 6 positive indicators on each competency. In my 8 years in this job I've easily met all of them, but I'm not that great at application forms or interviews. I've been given a helping hand by a few people and I'm confident my answers cover all bases.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #13467 on: June 13, 2017, 09:48:24 am »
We (law) have to do a certain amount of hours every year and then sign something saying we did so we can get our licence to practise.

My place even demands the non qualifieds get ten hours a year in. Bonkers.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #13468 on: June 13, 2017, 10:25:50 am »
My place even demands the non qualifieds get ten hours a year in. Bonkers.

I think if the employer is provided the training I think it's a great idea for every employee to have training, irrespective of their qualifications.

Otherwise you run the risk of a disinterested and unmotivated group of unqualifieds.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #13469 on: June 19, 2017, 05:25:53 pm »
Seems like this thread is my favourite place recently! Anyway got another one;

Some idiot left his van handbrakes half loose and it rolled down straight into my car, smashing the screen and causing severe damage to the left side door. Spoken to the van owner who said he's phoned his insurance (was advised not to call mine as it may raise my premium) but now he's saying to also ring mine. I really don't want my premium to go up, it's high enough as it is with my points, what should I do? Bearing in mind this happened on Friday so I've been driving round with a plastic on my window for four days now  :no

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #13470 on: June 19, 2017, 05:30:55 pm »
I would call his insurance company with the claim number and see what they say.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13471 on: June 19, 2017, 05:45:37 pm »
Seems like this thread is my favourite place recently! Anyway got another one;

Some idiot left his van handbrakes half loose and it rolled down straight into my car, smashing the screen and causing severe damage to the left side door. Spoken to the van owner who said he's phoned his insurance (was advised not to call mine as it may raise my premium) but now he's saying to also ring mine. I really don't want my premium to go up, it's high enough as it is with my points, what should I do? Bearing in mind this happened on Friday so I've been driving round with a plastic on my window for four days now  :no

Your insurance company is going to find out either way. The van drivers insurance company will notify them and deal with them.

Unfortunately it probably will affect your premium, but not as much as a fault claim.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #13472 on: June 19, 2017, 09:02:35 pm »
Your insurance company is going to find out either way. The van drivers insurance company will notify them and deal with them.

Unfortunately it probably will affect your premium, but not as much as a fault claim.
That's shit, my premium going up just because of some idiot leaving his handbrake off. Don't get the logic in that.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13473 on: June 19, 2017, 09:41:50 pm »
My wife was hit by a young lad pulling out of a side street (driving my car) and the lad accepted liability, so the car was repaired by his insurance, my wife said nothing to her insurers as it was being dealt with by his. She later goes to renew her insurance and they added a charge as they mention she has been in an accident, so a kind a of admin fee, she kicked off but they would not relent, think it was 20-30 quid cant remember now.

It did not affect her no claims or indeed her premium amount so I would tell them and say the other party is paying and see what they say.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #13474 on: June 19, 2017, 10:31:33 pm »
My wife was hit by a young lad pulling out of a side street (driving my car) and the lad accepted liability, so the car was repaired by his insurance, my wife said nothing to her insurers as it was being dealt with by his. She later goes to renew her insurance and they added a charge as they mention she has been in an accident, so a kind a of admin fee, she kicked off but they would not relent, think it was 20-30 quid cant remember now.

It did not affect her no claims or indeed her premium amount so I would tell them and say the other party is paying and see what they say.
How did the insurance company find out? I don't mind it going up £20-30, makes little difference. Just don't want it to shoot up like £100 or affect my NCB.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13475 on: June 20, 2017, 07:23:20 am »
How did the insurance company find out? I don't mind it going up £20-30, makes little difference. Just don't want it to shoot up like £100 or affect my NCB.

Claims Underwriting Exchange. They share data that a claim has been made.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #13476 on: June 20, 2017, 12:38:35 pm »
Claims Underwriting Exchange. They share data that a claim has been made.
I see, my as well come clean then.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13477 on: June 20, 2017, 12:52:06 pm »
If I'm taking a learner out for a drive, is it against the law for me to have a few pints even though it's not me driving?

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13478 on: June 20, 2017, 12:55:55 pm »
If I'm taking a learner out for a drive, is it against the law for me to have a few pints even though it's not me driving?

Of course it bloody is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10834271

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13479 on: June 20, 2017, 12:56:44 pm »

Read: My adult child, who hasn't got a license yet, is driving me to the pub. ;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly