Author Topic: The Hip Hop Thread  (Read 788109 times)

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
The Hip Hop Thread
« on: August 3, 2008, 10:45:18 am »
Time for a new one I thought.

This isn't about whether hip hop is dead or specifically about what you believe to be the greatest hip hop album ever.

But, this is a place for like minded heads who like their hip hop to shave views and opinions on todays hip hop arena.

To kick it off we have Sweet Lord by Murs and 9th Wonder.

To those of you who know their work, I would say it is ok not great, but well worth a listen. To those of you who dont know their work, it is a good place to start, primarily as it is free

http://www.mursand9thwonder.com/download.html

Next up is an album alluded to by Tom_B in another thread namely, Welcome to Red Rock Houses by T.H.U.G. Angelz (more commonly known as Hell Razah and Shabazz the Disciple).

A tour of their ghetto life with a dark and moody feel. A good not great album and a good starting point those who say you just dont get that Wu Tang feel anymore.

Feel free to add and the more up to date we can keep it the better - not to say the old days were bad - but just to stop it turning into a "hip hop is shit now, was much better in the 80's and 90's" thread.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:29:06 am by Johnnyboy1973 »
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: The all new up to date Hip Hop thread
« Reply #1 on: August 3, 2008, 04:29:14 pm »
Nice idea, the other one was titled inappropriately for what it became.

Pacewon and Mr Green, get on it.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline kingmonkey007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 3, 2008, 05:36:32 pm »
ok, alot of hip-hop sites and forums seem to be talking about this:

The Game, misinterpreted lyrics? or is he backpedaling?

(background)

The Game records a song called "My Life", in the song you hear the following lines,

"You see them 24’s spinning, I earned ‘em/and all the pictures of me and Em, I burned ‘em/ so there ain’t no proof that I ever walked through 8 Mile/and since there’s no Proof, I’ll never walk through 8 Mile"

This song was "leaked" on to the Internet, The Game then rerecorded the song taking out them lyrics and then apologizes to anyone who may have taken the lyrics the wrong way about Proof but says nothing about the Eminem lyrics.

so was this The Game aiming a shot ("diss") at Eminem then realising that this would be a bad move to make or is it just The Game trying to be clever with his metaphors/wordplay and not thinking how some people may take the lyrics?.

-----------

My opinion is that The Game was trying to show respect to Proof (who he was close to) by saying that every time he goes to Detroit or looks at pictures of himself with Em in Detroit he thinks of Proof and it makes him sad the he is no longer there so he got rid of the pictures (this I can understand), the problem came with him saying Em's name, which I can see why he used it, as it went with the 'em words he used in the same sentence but I have to admit the lyrics were shit and just asking for trouble.

So as The Game just been misinterpreted or am I blinded by the fact I do kind of like The Game and can not see that he really is backpedaling?

and for the record if he has meant it as an attack towards Eminem then I do believe he will have committed career suicide.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2008, 05:39:23 pm »
and for the record if he has meant it as an attack towards Eminem then I do believe he will have committed career suicide.

I doubt it would be, but Game is a better emcee anyway and would kill Eminem on a track. Having said that in a battle Eminem would win.

He will have meant it as a bit of respect for Proof, but probably then realised it could be taken as a diss on Eminem, which I don't think he would want to do anyway and so changed it.

Game said this:

When I originally wrote the song “My Life” I was trying to think back on events that affected my life and how they changed me. When I first got signed to Aftermath and G-Unit I was exposed to so many different people from Dre to Em to 50 to Proof. I always identified with Proof. We were always cool and he would reach out to me when ever I was going through something I remember when Proof died vividly and now every time I think about going to Detroit I get depressed. That is what I was trying to say in that verse and the more I looked at I realized that people would take it the wrong way…the way they are taking it now that it leaked. So I decided to change it so that this bullshit wouldn’t happen and now it’s happened anyway. For the record, this is not the version on my album, this is not the version that radio will get and this is not the version that I just shot the video to. Furthermore, I apologize to anyone who took this the wrong way as that was never my intention.

Good enough for me.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2008, 05:41:27 pm by Tom_B »

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #4 on: August 3, 2008, 05:53:01 pm »
Slug and Atmosphere are the best thing hip hop has ever produced. The only rapper I listen to.
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5 on: August 3, 2008, 06:21:40 pm »
Slug and Atmosphere are the best thing hip hop has ever produced. The only rapper I listen to.

You mean slug and ant?

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #6 on: August 3, 2008, 07:48:23 pm »
no. but i know what you mean, i worded it wrong.

anyone who slug worked with was good. i liked all those 'sad clown' things. deep puddle dynamics wasn't bad too. felt was great and is still great.

i don't listen to hip hop much any more, todays hip hop is generic shite. i don't get the people who fund their music, and i can't understand how today's hiphop business works anyway. everyone is the same. people still listen to them. this clashes with all logic. a human being should do all he can to be better than the rest, not the same. the sad thing is, this doesn't only apply to hiphop.

oh, and this c*nt makes me sick.

i would beat the man who gave him a record deal to a pulp. what was he thinking? 'yes he's got everything.. black and from the ghetto, tatoos, ridiculous necklaces, the audience will love him'. twat. today's music is all appearance and no talent.
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7 on: August 3, 2008, 07:52:41 pm »
no. but i know what you mean, i worded it wrong.

anyone who slug worked with was good. i liked all those 'sad clown' things. deep puddle dynamics wasn't bad too. felt was great and is still great.

i don't listen to hip hop much any more, todays hip hop is generic shite. i don't get the people who fund their music, and i can't understand how today's hiphop business works anyway. everyone is the same. people still listen to them. this clashes with all logic. a human being should do all he can to be better than the rest, not the same. the sad thing is, this doesn't only apply to hiphop.

oh, and this c*nt makes me sick.

i would beat the man who gave him a record deal to a pulp. what was he thinking? 'yes he's got everything.. black and from the ghetto, tatoos, ridiculous necklaces, the audience will love him'. twat. today's music is all appearance and no talent.

You want the "is rap music dead" thread mate.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2008, 08:12:30 pm by Tom_B »

Offline AndrewLFC_1971

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 3, 2008, 08:10:21 pm »
Not being a hip hop fan myself it seems to me that most of it is all about street cred, who said what about who, who's dissin who , what things they have and what money they got, i'm sure there are hip hop artists who are very eloquent and talented but a lot of the stuff i hear today is very shallow. Not having a go at any hip hop fans btw.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #9 on: August 3, 2008, 08:12:15 pm »
Not being a hip hop fan myself it seems to me that most of it is all about street cred, who said what about who, who's dissin who , what things they have and what money they got, i'm sure there are hip hop artists who are very eloquent and talented but a lot of the stuff i hear today is very shallow. Not having a go at any hip hop fans btw.

No offence mate, your opinion is totally fair enough, and I would never knock anyone for not liking the genre, but this thread isn't for people to come and say negative things about the genre, its for the hip hop fans on here to interact.

The "is rap music dead" thread is better for saying negative things about it, otherwise this thread will quickly turn into arguments.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #10 on: August 3, 2008, 08:19:05 pm »
Everywhere at Once by Lyrics Born is boss

here he is live on jimmy kimmell with the single 'I like it I love it'

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5tIwwQGxxic" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5tIwwQGxxic</a>

pure soulful, funky party music
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline AndrewLFC_1971

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 3, 2008, 08:20:31 pm »
Fair enough mate ,i wasn't trying to say anything negative on purpose as i respect anyones music tastes (apart from Nickleback fans), if you like your rap then enjoy it !!!

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #12 on: August 3, 2008, 08:33:50 pm »
Fair enough mate ,i wasn't trying to say anything negative on purpose as i respect anyones music tastes (apart from Nickleback fans), if you like your rap then enjoy it !!!

I sounded like a bit of a twat, haha, I wasn't saying "get out" or anything, just didn't want any arguments to kick off.

Fair play though, different strokes for different folks.

Offline AndrewLFC_1971

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 3, 2008, 08:37:19 pm »
I sounded like a bit of a twat, haha, I wasn't saying "get out" or anything, just didn't want any arguments to kick off.

Fair play though, different strokes for different folks.
Apart from Nickleback !!

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #14 on: August 3, 2008, 08:38:38 pm »
Apart from Nickleback !!

well duh, that goes without saying
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline MomoIsBoss

• Hope he cancelled the milk.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sappnin Lad
« Reply #15 on: August 3, 2008, 08:45:47 pm »
Fuck me Lil Wayne, what a twat! Papoose is the hip hop artist who has most impressed me recently, still not signed to a label pure underground, lyrically he's one of the best I think I have heard. Heres some of his best work.

My favourite, 'a fair one' a diss of Fat Joe, apparently they had a fight in which Papoose got the better of, and he basicaly lyrcially tears him apart in it.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GQWl7j8t_ZI

'Alphabetical Slaughter' His only single to be released under a label, had rave reviews in the US for its pure uniqueness, great track.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CLklnMWl63k

'Ghetto Soldier' Ft Akon, another good track.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9u6o-6aa3Y&feature=related

Check him out, matter of time before hes a big name.
We're all laughing at Everton, ha ha ha ha

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #16 on: August 3, 2008, 09:50:36 pm »
I doubt it would be, but Game is a better emcee anyway and would kill Eminem on a track. Having said that in a battle Eminem would win.

You're right, for sheer presence and dominating a track, there aren't many that can stifle Em, but I think Game would be one of the few that could. A battle between those two would be amazing, think Em would win out though like you said.

Fuck me Lil Wayne, what a twat! Papoose is the hip hop artist who has most impressed me recently, still not signed to a label pure underground, lyrically he's one of the best I think I have heard. Heres some of his best work.

My favourite, 'a fair one' a diss of Fat Joe, apparently they had a fight in which Papoose got the better of, and he basicaly lyrcially tears him apart in it.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GQWl7j8t_ZI

'Alphabetical Slaughter' His only single to be released under a label, had rave reviews in the US for its pure uniqueness, great track.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CLklnMWl63k

'Ghetto Soldier' Ft Akon, another good track.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9u6o-6aa3Y&feature=related

Check him out, matter of time before hes a big name.

Papoose is phenomonal - his Art & War mixtape is class. Love his version of "I Get Money" too, although sometimes he's guilty about talking about guns too much. Defo one to watch.
JFT97

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 3, 2008, 09:53:19 pm »

pure soulful, funky party music

Congratulations. You've coupled the gayest line I've ever read on RAWK, with the gayest animation I've ever seen on RAWK.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #18 on: August 3, 2008, 09:55:59 pm »
Congratulations. You've coupled the gayest line I've ever read on RAWK, with the gayest animation I've ever seen on RAWK.

:lmao

Quite hypnotic though.
JFT97

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #19 on: August 3, 2008, 10:36:51 pm »

I aim to please, come though that's one funky wabbit

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #20 on: August 3, 2008, 10:53:33 pm »
You're right, for sheer presence and dominating a track, there aren't many that can stifle Em, but I think Game would be one of the few that could. A battle between those two would be amazing, think Em would win out though like you said.

I really meant in a freestyle battle. Game would win a war between them because he has the streets and more rawness.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #21 on: August 4, 2008, 12:17:26 am »

Just make it a thread for boss tunes from the past as well

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=r8srtQ7cDNE&feature=user

How good is that track from 1990

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 4, 2008, 12:23:38 am »

Gotta love Pharrel and his boys especially when they take down the cocaine ho's

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PA1HB_yJii4

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline JohnnyDrama

• hey new members to RAWK: He's a really really annoying feedback tourist and thick. If you dont believe me, he even admitted it himself. Post-match angler
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #23 on: August 4, 2008, 06:48:52 am »
I can a hip,  hop, a hippop-potamus
Greatest Band in the world.

www.myspace.com/brandnew

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 4, 2008, 09:48:00 am »
You want the "is rap music dead" thread mate.

Is the right answer. This isn't a thread for, "hip hop is shite".

Just make it a thread for boss tunes from the past as well

Dont mind old skool tracks in here but dont want it to be the dominant or it only highlights the belief that, "rap music is dead".

This is a place for those who dont believe it is dead and highlight it with examples, which brings me nicely onto,

Nice idea, the other one was titled inappropriately for what it became.

Pacewon and Mr Green, get on it.

Cracking album. Hadn't come across them so cheers for that. For others, see, http://www.myspace.com/paceandgreen

As far as, Atmosphere http://www.myspace.com/atmosphere being the only decent hip hop duo out there, they are a top act and no doubt,

is one of the top albums of this year but I cant just get enough of this album BY J Live

For those unfamiliar with his work, check out http://www.myspace.com/jlive

For lyrical content, Braille is a break from the stereotypes and his new album continues in that vain,

Check him out at http://www.myspace.com/braillebrizzy
« Last Edit: August 4, 2008, 09:51:55 am by Johnnyboy1973 »

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Last Edit: August 8, 2008, 03:37:34 pm by Johnnyboy1973 »

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 4, 2008, 02:27:50 pm »

Dont mind old skool tracks in here but dont want it to be the dominant or it only highlights the belief that, "rap music is dead".

This is a place for those who dont believe it is dead and highlight it with examples, which brings me nicely onto,

Word up.

Online penfold102

• It remains unclear as to whether "102" refers to my IQ or my dad's age - let RAWK decide! :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #27 on: August 4, 2008, 02:28:26 pm »
There is still good hip hop about if you look hard enough.

i.e.

Atmosphere
Dälek
Busdriver
Del the Funkee Homosapien
Roots Manuva

They are all still producing music which is still what I call hip-hop, not "gangsta" rap.
Fils et pere - Trade count of 35+

What's tomato with you?

Offline MomoIsBoss

• Hope he cancelled the milk.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sappnin Lad
« Reply #28 on: August 4, 2008, 09:37:12 pm »
Papoose is phenomonal - his Art & War mixtape is class. Love his version of "I Get Money" too, although sometimes he's guilty about talking about guns too much. Defo one to watch.
Yeah, 'I Get Gully' I think its called class remix, I can see him making it really big, do you think he wants to though it seems to me that he doesn't becuase if he did he would be, not sure though.
We're all laughing at Everton, ha ha ha ha

Offline d gorgeous one haz spoken

• and said "You're ugly"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 4, 2008, 09:59:20 pm »
Papoose was dropped from his record label recently, so I don't take he will make it even with DJ Kay Slay as his mentor.

He has been flirting with Fiddy tho' during the whole Fat Joe saga when he took 50's side and did a couple of interviews for G-Unit Radio on Shade 45 as well as on ThisIs50.com.

Word on the street is that Curtis wants both Papoose and Uncle Murda on G-Unit after they made peace together thanks to Mr. Jackson.

• and said "You're ugly"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 4, 2008, 10:03:06 pm »
I really meant in a freestyle battle. Game would win a war between them because he has the streets and more rawness.

LOL and LMAO. When have you ever heard Game freestyle for real instead of writtens? Game is not that good a rapper and it has been known that people like Juice and former Blackwalllstreet member Cyssero ghostwrite for him.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 4, 2008, 10:04:07 pm »
Listening to giggs

A bit too gutter for this topic and none of you will probably know about him ;)

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 4, 2008, 10:04:39 pm »
LOL and LMAO. When have you ever heard Game freestyle for real instead of writtens? Game is not that good a rapper and it has been known that people like Juice and former Blackwalllstreet member Cyssero ghostwrite for him.
Juice and Cyss shit all over Game and I'm a Game fan. In a battle Cyss would kill 80% of rappers active today

Papoose is he most over rated rapper out now though but I used to rate him in 05 times

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 4, 2008, 10:06:46 pm »
There is still good hip hop about if you look hard enough.

i.e.

Roots Manuva
Vomits

• and said "You're ugly"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 4, 2008, 10:11:19 pm »

Those are just misconceptions. When you think about a music genre like for instance now Rap, and you think about it's stereo types like bling bling and beef than that's all what you hear.

There are main stream rappers who can bring it eloquent with lots of wordplay and metaphors like Lupe, Jay and Nas. As well as others like Em, Andre, Budden etc.

It just depends on what you focus on the most.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #35 on: August 4, 2008, 10:17:09 pm »

Hence why I said Eminem would win a freestyle battle chucklehead.

• and said "You're ugly"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 4, 2008, 10:54:29 pm »
I apologise for being so upfront earlier but what do you mean with war?

Game lost from Joe Budden.

Game thought he could match up with Jay. Jay ended it with the Dear Summer freestyle.

Game in the end lost from 50 since he's still his boss and that little 'war' they had going on almost made him slice his own wrists (his own words).

What makes you think he can win against Eminem who had better opponents in Canibus and Royce and won from both.

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #37 on: August 4, 2008, 10:58:51 pm »
I apologise for being so upfront earlier but what do you mean with war?

Game lost from Joe Budden.

Game thought he could match up with Jay. Jay ended it with the Dear Summer freestyle.

Game in the end lost from 50 since he's still his boss and that little 'war' they had going on almost made him slice his own wrists (his own words).

What makes you think he can win against Eminem who had better opponents in Canibus and Royce and won from both.

Game didn't lose to Budden or 50, don't talk bullshit. The Budden one was closer though.

You may not like Game, I don't know, but those two aren't even up for debate, Game annihilated G-Unit and 50.

The Jay beef wasn't even a proper beef so that doesn't come into it.

I am talking overall on wax, if it came to warfare, Game would take Eminem, because Eminem is a long way from his prime, and never had the rawness Game has.

In a freestyle battle Eminem wins, on wax Game wins. In both their primes, I would take Game too, but I am not a big Em fan.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 4, 2008, 11:02:16 pm »
Eminem is a legend point blank period he was on another level to everyone around 2000 times. He is the peoples rapper

Offline Tom_B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #39 on: August 4, 2008, 11:03:01 pm »
Eminem is a legend point blank period he was on another level to everyone around 2000 times. He is the peoples rapper

Not this person. I don't have to like him, despite knowing he is talented.

Jay's a legend, and was on a different level to everyone in 2001, and you don't like him.