Author Topic: The iTunes / iPod help thread.  (Read 110113 times)

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
The iTunes / iPod help thread.
« on: August 2, 2007, 01:53:37 am »
If you need a Rough guide... iPod/iTunes help... PM nidgemo or Hinesy  ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 01:07:06 pm by SwedenRed »

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
Re: iTunes help please
« Reply #1 on: August 2, 2007, 08:44:37 am »
This is doing my head in!

I have all my music in my music folder.
Abba Gold and a few other albums appears under Compilations.
I want to make this album 'not a compilation.
So in itunes library, I select the album Abba Gold and change the attributes (under Get Info), to 'not a compilation'.
This I can do... anyway...

Will this info I have just changed, change it in the folder area?

Yes.

Just select all in the album, hit get info, and uncheck the box.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 2, 2007, 09:17:37 am »
Yes.

Just select all in the album, hit get info, and uncheck the box.
The Album 'Abba Gold' is listed under Compilations in my Windows Music Folder. When I do this edit and uncheck the box to No Compilation (as you have shown), will this automatically move the Album out of Compilations, into a folder on its own... just like the other Albums are?

I am trying to get my head round itunes... Is it basically a management software for the itunes music folder in windows?

Many thanks for the advice.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 2, 2007, 09:18:10 am »
The Album 'Abba Gold' is listed under Compilations in my Windows Music Folder. When I do this edit and uncheck the box to No Compilation (as you have shown), will this automatically move the Album out of Compilations, into a folder on its own... just like the other Albums are?

I am trying to get my head round itunes... Is it basically a management software for the itunes music folder in windows?

Many thanks for the advice.

yes and yes.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 2, 2007, 09:21:25 am »
yes and yes.
:scarf I will give it a go... Cheers mate.

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 2, 2007, 10:22:10 am »
Nige... It works... I owe you big time! Stupid me... I was on this till 4am last night... I am now knackerred!

I now have moved everything onto my Network Dive (NAS Drive)... Also itunes points ok to the right place. Question is this... If I put in my iPod as I normally do in my PC, will it update my new songs as normal? Or do I have to copy everything to my PC and operate iTunes from there?

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 2, 2007, 10:23:06 am »
Nige... It works... I owe you big time! Stupid me... I was on this till 4am last night... I am now knackerred!

I now have moved everything onto my Network Dive (NAS Drive)... Also itunes points ok to the right place. Question is this... If I put in my iPod as I normally do in my PC, will it update my new songs as normal? Or do I have to copy everything to my PC and operate iTunes from there?

Should do it OK, as long as there are no permission problems with external devices on the network.

Best way to find out it to test it :D

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 2, 2007, 10:39:13 am »
Should do it OK, as long as there are no permission problems with external devices on the network.

Best way to find out it to test it :D
I am shit scared to lose all my music mate... It happened once before when I sync'd... I will try it. This would save me time from copyng to my pc hard disc. Although I might copy it anyway as a backup.

By the way... I will rename this thread... for others to use.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The iTunes help thread.
« Reply #8 on: August 2, 2007, 10:45:21 am »
I am shit scared to lose all my music mate... It happened once before when I sync'd... I will try it. This would save me time from copyng to my pc hard disc. Although I might copy it anyway as a backup.

By the way... I will rename this thread... for others to use.

Even if it doesn't go on your ipod, it will still be on the hard drive anyway, so you'll not have lost it.

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #9 on: August 2, 2007, 11:00:22 am »

I have an external drive with all my music, Podcasts and videos stored on there. Syncing with the iPod presents no problems. I just have to remember to plug the the HD before I start iTunes because if it can't find the designed route, it will store new downloaded stuff in the old default folder, meaning I have to move it maually.

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 2, 2007, 11:01:51 am »
Even if it doesn't go on your ipod, it will still be on the hard drive anyway, so you'll not have lost it.
I'll give it a go..

You know the Compilation 'Abba Gold'... after editing the 'Get info', it has moved all the tracks to the right place now, but unfortunately it has left the folder name behind. There isnt anything in it of course, and I cant delete it... it says its being used by another program... Any ideas?

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 2, 2007, 11:04:13 am »
I'll give it a go..

You know the Compilation 'Abba Gold'... after editing the 'Get info', it has moved all the tracks to the right place now, but unfortunately it has left the folder name behind. There isnt anything in it of course, and I cant delete it... it says its being used by another program... Any ideas?
Aha... itunes was using it. I shut itunes, deleted the folder left behind, and turned itunes on again... Problem solved.

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 2, 2007, 11:06:33 am »
I have an external drive with all my music, Podcasts and videos stored on there. Syncing with the iPod presents no problems. I just have to remember to plug the the HD before I start iTunes because if it can't find the designed route, it will store new downloaded stuff in the old default folder, meaning I have to move it maually.
So you are plugging in your ipod to your PC hard disc before turning on itunes?

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #13 on: August 2, 2007, 12:23:55 pm »
So you are plugging in your ipod to your PC hard disc before turning on itunes?

First I plug in the external drive, then the iPod and plugging that in starts iTunes. It then syncs itself and downloads, to the aforementioned folder on the external drive, any new Podcasts I subscribe to.  Bob's yer uncle, or not as the case may be.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 2, 2007, 12:26:27 pm »
Abba Gold and a few other albums appears under Compilations.

The Seacliff Lunatic Asylum has computers now?

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 2, 2007, 12:36:18 pm »
The Seacliff Lunatic Asylum has computers now?

He's swedish.

It's like you listening to the beatles :D

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #16 on: August 4, 2007, 01:50:19 pm »
Another problem.  Can't really get an answer from Google

I'm trying to upgrade Itunes and the install stops.  I get "Invalid Drive N:\" error - no # for the error.

I had an Iomega network N:\ drive a while back, but no longer.  It isn't listed on Network Drivers on My Computer

I'm running XP

Any thoughts?  I think it might be a registry issue, but I only know enough to get myself in trouble.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 4, 2007, 04:17:44 pm »
Invalid Drive N:\" error - no #

I'm running XP

Any thoughts?

Lots.

:D

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 4, 2007, 04:18:31 pm »
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 4, 2007, 04:45:56 pm »
thanks for the help

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 4, 2007, 05:13:30 pm »
thanks for the help

Hey, don't blame me. I've been trying to help people for years. Hardly my fault no-one listens :D

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 4, 2007, 09:15:52 pm »
but I would listen. 

I gave up and went out for a swim.  Tried a few more things just now.  Same stupid error
 :butt

This really is starting to piss me off.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 4, 2007, 09:45:26 pm »
but I would listen. 

OK. Get a Mac.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #23 on: August 4, 2007, 09:48:33 pm »

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 4, 2007, 10:43:23 pm »
OK. Get a Mac.

oh,  I need to come in here more often.  A Macoid!!

:duh 

Nothing good can come from an overlap of Gates and Jobs universe.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 5, 2007, 04:10:16 pm »
oh,  I need to come in here more often.  A Macoid!!

:duh 

Nothing good can come from an overlap of Gates and Jobs universe.

Well, your computer would work, so surely that's good?

Offline the brad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: August 5, 2007, 10:00:04 pm »
Have been trying to sync my ipod with itunes and i keep getting this message back" the iPod cannot be synced. The required disc cannot be found".

I've had no problems before upto last week (its the 30gb) version

can anyone help

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 6, 2007, 09:15:43 am »
Have been trying to sync my ipod with itunes and i keep getting this message back" the iPod cannot be synced. The required disc cannot be found".

I've had no problems before upto last week (its the 30gb) version

can anyone help
When you sync'd your iPod the previous time, did you wait until you had a message that it was Clear to dissconnect?
Strange, cos when you connect via the USB link, it should automatically recognise the drive.

Offline mattmiles

• Kopite
  • C'mon the Redmen
« Reply #28 on: August 6, 2007, 09:35:26 am »
Does anyone else with the latest version of itunes find that when you are browsing the internet, songs skip and pause momentarily whilst the page quicly loads? I use Firefox, plenty of space on my hard drive and on Virgin Media (broadband is around 5meg).

It's just so annoying - it never used to happen.
kiss my face

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 6, 2007, 09:37:13 am »
Does anyone else with the latest version of itunes find that when you are browsing the internet, songs skip and pause momentarily whilst the page quicly loads? I use Firefox, plenty of space on my hard drive and on Virgin Media (broadband is around 5meg).

Are you sure you have the latest version?

Think this used to happen in version 7.0 for PC, but the latest is 7.3? (or 7.2)

Offline mattmiles

• Kopite
  • C'mon the Redmen
« Reply #30 on: August 6, 2007, 11:25:46 am »
Yeah, defo got the latest version, it doesn't happen all of the time so it's not a major problem, but when it does, it's just bloody annoying. It is on a PC by the way. Ah well I will keep trying to find out why it persists.
kiss my face

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 6, 2007, 12:26:14 pm »
Yeah, defo got the latest version, it doesn't happen all of the time so it's not a major problem, but when it does, it's just bloody annoying. It is on a PC by the way. Ah well I will keep trying to find out why it persists.

I get some 'stuttering' as it switches from one song to another, have had through all the version 7's, including the latest which downloaded last night.  Don't get it when internet pages are loading though.

It's not a resource issue as I have loads of RAM, seems to clear once the play count for the last song is updated......annoying to no end.

Offline the brad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 6, 2007, 07:16:37 pm »
When you sync'd your iPod the previous time, did you wait until you had a message that it was Clear to dissconnect?
Strange, cos when you connect via the USB link, it should automatically recognise the drive.

always wait till told its safe to disconnect.

i'm tempted to hit the restore button.

any further advice welcomed

Offline SwedenRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 7, 2007, 10:12:41 am »
always wait till told its safe to disconnect.

i'm tempted to hit the restore button.

any further advice welcomed
It cant harm the ipod if you do this... Do a Factory Reset, and then try again at syncing... If it isnt recognising the iPod, something must be locking it.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
Re: The iTunes / iPod help thread.
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2007, 05:07:06 pm »
Can i just ask a question , got a new pc and want to move my itunes from my laptop onto it.

Is it as simple as exporting it or does it get all fussy with licensing on different pc's?
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2007, 05:11:41 pm »
Can i just ask a question , got a new pc and want to move my itunes from my laptop onto it.

Is it as simple as exporting it or does it get all fussy with licensing on different pc's?

Well, you can have 5 computers activated, so shouldn't be any problem. I literally just move my whole iTunes folder (including any xml files etc) over and open itunes and it works like it's never been fucked about with.

Can't vouch for PC though, sorry.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2007, 05:36:39 pm »

I get that, too, horribly annoying, found it's less of an issue if I use Opera or Safari, still get it, just nowhere near as often.

On mine I think it's because my wireless shares an IRQ request slot (?) with my soundcard and that's what was causing the issue, it's a possibility that's what it is on yours, too.

Offline mattmiles

• Kopite
  • C'mon the Redmen
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2007, 05:59:01 pm »
I get that, too, horribly annoying, found it's less of an issue if I use Opera or Safari, still get it, just nowhere near as often.

On mine I think it's because my wireless shares an IRQ request slot (?) with my soundcard and that's what was causing the issue, it's a possibility that's what it is on yours, too.

Well that sounds a little too technical for me - although my internet is not wireless. Ho hum, I guess the problem shall persist, but it is horrible like you say.
kiss my face

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2007, 06:16:09 pm »
Go into System Information, then click Hardware Resources to expand it, then IRQs, and it'll tell you what everything is using.

Originally, I had a cardbus wifi card, which kept sending XP loopy in addition to freaking out the soundcard. I can't change IRQ slots in my bios so I was stuck with it, bought a USB wifi and it, typically, went straight onto the one the other card was using.

Looking at them now, my Ethernet card uses IRQ11 and I can't ever remember iTunes acting nutty when I was wired.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2007, 07:26:14 pm »
Well, you can have 5 computers activated, so shouldn't be any problem. I literally just move my whole iTunes folder (including any xml files etc) over and open itunes and it works like it's never been fucked about with.

Can't vouch for PC though, sorry.

Yep, that's what I do - find the "itunes music folder" and copy the whole thing into exactly the same location on the other computer (must do this with itunes quit) - start itunes, and everything is there - all music,  all playlists and everything.