Author Topic: The iPhone  (Read 1040347 times)

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
Re: The iPhone
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2007, 02:03:24 pm »
Apple will have to pay up, its just a matter of how much

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2007, 02:41:48 pm »
This bloke makes phones? And I just thought he was a lyrical genius.

He's neither.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2007, 02:58:25 pm »

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2007, 03:35:04 pm »
I've always thought people who bought iPods over mp3 players were paying a premium for a 'cool' looking device, which is fine with me. I reckon people will pay for the iPhone because of the hype and marketing that it will invariably come with. 
Would mp3 players in general be as popular if it weren't for apple's marketing, who knows?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2007, 03:58:45 pm »
So, the iMac came out just before the name iPhone was trademarked (or whatever) by the company that Sisco bought it off. And they probably stuck the 'i' on there because of Apple Products and wanted the suggested link. And now Apple will have to pay for the name that wouldn't exist if not for them. You have got to love corporate nonsense.

But, in the interest of getting this sorted ASAP, Sisco are about to make a mint.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

hoonin

« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2007, 04:02:31 pm »
So, the iMac came out just before the name iPhone was trademarked (or whatever) by the company that Sisco bought it off. And they probably stuck the 'i' on there because of Apple Products and wanted the suggested link. And now Apple will have to pay for the name that wouldn't exist if not for them. You have got to love corporate nonsense.

But, in the interest of getting this sorted ASAP, Sisco are about to make a mint.

To be honest, Apple would not even have registered on Ciscos radar at the time.

Theres nothing underhand about their copyrighting of the iPhone name. Companies always do this on the off chance it will be used. In this case, they're just using the copyright system to cash in a little.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2007, 04:52:29 pm »
I believe it was her.

I am also fairly sure she was just trying to stop Peterborough trademarking the name themselves, rather than trying to stop Peterborough using it. It was twisted and shaped by the media.

Who, posh spice or the case?
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline ewok-red

• Anarchist, potentially violent but lacks bottle.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2007, 05:21:56 pm »
just watched the presentation - awesome
"the music isn't here to save the world, its there to save your life"  - skip jones, in 'stories we could tell' tony parsons, harper collins / qpd

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2007, 05:46:19 pm »

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2007, 09:33:23 pm »
Without dwelling on any other drawbacks, the lack of 3G support is, well, staggering.

Correct, that fact alone puts it in the category of dogshit. How the fuck anyone can call something an 'i' device with only EDGE as its max spec is unbelievable. They should have called it the dPhone (for dialup), or StringTinPhone.

Design wise, lovely. I like the idea of OSX on a mobile, and the apps are grand. Screen looks good, but I'd be interested to see what it looks like in daylight.

Offline Martyn.

• Nearly 20 and still a virgin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2007, 10:49:06 pm »
I watched the Macworld keynote when this little beauty was revealed and Steve Jobs was talking about it. It has some pretty breathtaking features and is probably going to revolutionise the mobile world over the next few years.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/
Number 9

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2007, 11:26:14 pm »
This gadget looks fantastic. I bet it will cost an absolute bomb though.

I'll think I'll wait for the Mk3 version, when its slimmed down a bit and the price has dropped....

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2007, 12:43:17 am »
Cisco actually bought out another company (name escapes me) whom owned the iphone trademark so nothing to do with them being sly about it.

Still wait a while before getting it though definitly not first gen.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2007, 08:58:45 am »
I watched the Macworld keynote when this little beauty was revealed and Steve Jobs was talking about it. It has some pretty breathtaking features and is probably going to revolutionise the mobile world over the next few years.

breathtaking, revolutionise the mobile world

what exactly does it do that hasnt been done before other than the finger  zoom method (which has been around for a few years just not on mobile devices)

its a lovely device i'll give you that but its hardly going to change the world of mobiles

the 2 megapixel camera is a joke, putting that on a device like this is a disgrace, it should be 3-5 megapixels at least

the latest in the cisco vs apple naming thing is that its actually the Apple iPhone, as it has the apple logo before iPhone, apple claim this is standard for them, as they did it for iPod and AppleTv as well, so they may have a loophole of sorts
STFU and agree with me.

hoonin

« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2007, 09:02:38 am »

How do you "revolutionise" a phone?

It makes and received calls? :o

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2007, 09:18:38 am »
How do you "revolutionise" a phone?

It makes and received calls? :o

To another dimension though?

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2007, 09:38:43 am »
Its a nice looking phone, hopefully the implementation will be good, in which case it will be hugely successful, although no doubt it will sell a lot on looks and brand alone, but its hardly revolutionary, no matter what the hype machine says.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2007, 12:12:14 pm »
To another dimension though?

I'll take your phone to another dimension, pay close attention?
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2007, 03:22:41 pm »
Revolutionary design, yes.

Revolutionary phone, no.

Its a joke that Apple can brand the iPhone on thier website as 'High Technology'....utter bollocks!

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2007, 03:30:06 pm »
i take you've all seen the video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=YgW7or1TuFk ?

That is boss.  Love the motion sensor on it, which changes the screen sensor depending on how it is held.

One worry is, how grubby the screen will get.

That zoom feature is amazing as well.  I'm well and truly taken in.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2007, 05:11:05 pm »
Revolutionary design, yes.

Revolutionary phone, no.

Its a joke that Apple can brand the iPhone on thier website as 'High Technology'....utter bollocks!

Gestures/multi touch not high technology? proximity sensor, accelerometer et al in a phone, not high technology? full browser, google maps etc on a phone working with gestures not high tech?

I personally think it is - far to much gadgetry shit for me though. I do think it is a revoloution in cell phone device's - although the phone itself hasn't really been revoloutionised.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2007, 05:22:04 pm »
look at prongsy regurgitating the apple spiel from the you tube link

HIGH TECHNOLOGY
SHAZZAMMO

its smoke and mirrors from apple to make a normal products thats been done before seem cool and innovative, it is cool, very cool but its not innovative, every piece of tech on this already exists somewhere else but as usual apple will claim they invented it

"its the best internet communication device" claim apple, yes its not even 3g, GREAT
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 05:23:42 pm by Smiff »
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2007, 06:24:30 pm »
its smoke and mirrors from apple to make a normal products thats been done before seem cool and innovative, it is cool, very cool but its not innovative, every piece of tech on this already exists somewhere else but as usual apple will claim they invented it

Apple will claim they have brought it all together in a user-friendly, cool way. The same way they did with the iPod. People didnt buy mp3 players on a mass scale before the iPod because they were a pain in the arse - FACT.

Apple are now hoping there are people out there who want full browser access, google maps access and all the other bells and whistles in their latest user-friendly, cool wrapper. If there are people even remotely interested, the Apple hype machine will do the rest and they will be sold. They are masters at hype, and that is why they are making money left right and centre.

Sure the techology is already there, but poorly designed and difficult for the layman to use. Apple obviously hopes to change that.

"its the best internet communication device" claim apple, yes its not even 3g, GREAT

Whats they point in shoving a 3G radio/transmitter in the phone just for the sake of it? Cingular in the US have hardly any UTMS coverage apparently, so all adding 3G would do is lower the battery life considerably and provide no extra useability.

When it comes to market here, they will have a different story because only Orange (and possibly Vodafone) have 2.75G EDGE networks deployed here (it was so close to 3G UTMS many didnt bother AFAIK), so dont be surprised to see the iPhone with a different spec by the time its launched here.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2007, 06:50:32 pm »

Hardly, but have you ever seen it brought together in this way before? I know I certainly haven't. The reason this is the height of 'cool' is because Apple have taken what already exists and made it something people want.

Would you have such an issue if it were another company (a new company) came out with this exact product in the same way? Or are you just on the wind up?

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2007, 07:25:46 pm »
By the way apparently the price is the subsidised price with a 2 year contract in the US and excludes Sales tax/VAT.

Happy buying ;)

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2007, 07:49:01 pm »
at no point have i not said its seriously cool and looks a great bit of kit

i just think if they are going to go to all this bother and market it as the future of phones it should have 3g support and a higer mega pixel camera

when the novelty of the user interface wears off thats when you get into the underlying functionality, thats when you wants your 3g web browsing speeds, thats when you want more than an unupgradeable 8gig of flash memory

its an excellent device, i just think they stopped short of making it all that it should be

but hopefully it will get improvements for the uk release in 2095
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2007, 09:28:57 pm »
at no point have i not said its seriously cool and looks a great bit of kit

i just think if they are going to go to all this bother and market it as the future of phones it should have 3g support and a higer mega pixel camera

to be honest, I dont think it really needs a camera any bigger than 2mp. 2mp is plenty big enough if you just want pictures on your device. My camera phone has a 2mp and its fine, even on a computer screen the pics are still a decent size.

The ommission of 3g technology is rather silly (in this country at least). Whats the point in 'browsing google maps' if your on a connection less than the speed of 56k.

Cingular and apple have done a very good job on the network side of htings for this though. The voicemail feature is great as is the conference call feature. Neither of those things simply wouldnt be possible to do on a mobile network over here.

As I said before though, mobile phone wise its going to be well out of date by the tme of the UK launch.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2007, 09:52:57 pm »
the voicemail, you mean the way you can flick through the voicemails and select what you want, its nice, i like

it will be likely a year before its here and you are correct, it will be well out of date
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2007, 10:05:39 pm »
If flash memory keeps on moving on at the rate it has been maybe we'll get a second generation iphone with 16gigs or more.  I know I'd be tempted if it could hold a decent amount of music and do a proper job as a phone. Though I can see those screens needing replacing pretty often.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2007, 10:09:51 pm »
especially if you lick the screen
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2007, 10:13:12 pm »
it will be likely a year before its here and you are correct, it will be well out of date

Who is to say it will be in this form in a year's time? Considering...

1. The speed at which all other mobile handset manufacturers refresh their handsets
2. The fact Apple can't go 6 months without bringing a "new iPod" out, let alone this new phone

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2007, 10:26:48 pm »
In a years time we'll all be driving bubble cars and living in vast space cities orbiting Jupiter.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2007, 11:05:33 pm »
As I said before though, mobile phone wise its going to be well out of date by the tme of the UK launch.
I think the only way you suggested it would be out of date is that it is not 3G compatible? Apple have made it clear that they are going with the technology that is most widespread at the moment and 3G will be in the pipeline when, basically, it starts to work properly and becomes the norm. So they are not pioneering the infrastructure; why would they? - they are a software company first who make hardware that utilises their software to the best advantage. If you really think that the iPhone is going to be "out of date" by the time of the UK launch I can only imagine that you are speaking from the point of view of someone who measures digits first, people second.
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2007, 11:13:31 pm »
I'll take your phone to another dimension, pay close attention?

I'll phone into outer space. To find another race.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2007, 11:23:58 pm »
I think the only way you suggested it would be out of date is that it is not 3G compatible? Apple have made it clear that they are going with the technology that is most widespread at the moment and 3G will be in the pipeline when, basically, it starts to work properly and becomes the norm. So they are not pioneering the infrastructure; why would they? - they are a software company first who make hardware that utilises their software to the best advantage. If you really think that the iPhone is going to be "out of date" by the time of the UK launch I can only imagine that you are speaking from the point of view of someone who measures digits first, people second.

I know the speed that the mobile industry works at. In a years time whos to say what sort of things will be out there? It's not just the 3g aspect, I'm thinking what you might be able to get from sony ericsson, nokia etc... that would do the same sort of thing.

As I said above, I know they've done a hell of a lot of work with the cingular network regarding the voicemail feature, and the conference call feature that jobs showed off during the apple conference. Both of those features are really impressive, and neither would be possible on any of the UK networks at this point in time.

Theres no doubt this will be a nice peice of kit, and I may get one if not for anything other than the fact it will sync with my mac nicely. But we will have to wait and see what happens. There must be a reason for the difference in launch dates between here and the U.S. Dont apple usually launch at the same time generally speaking?

But the competition will be well on apple's case now.

hoonin

« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2007, 11:48:52 pm »
As I said above, I know they've done a hell of a lot of work with the cingular network regarding the voicemail feature, and the conference call feature that jobs showed off during the apple conference. Both of those features are really impressive, and neither would be possible on any of the UK networks at this point in time.

This would suggest to me that they are after the business market first and foremost, particularly with the conferencing.

That would just sum up the power of marketing (which we ALL fall for) for me, when the sales figures show businesses have stuck with Nokia or Siemens, whilst high street sales have boomed as the individual buys into technology they dont really have any need for.

Done it a few times meself, if I'm honest :-\

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2007, 09:59:29 am »
This would suggest to me that they are after the business market first and foremost, particularly with the conferencing.

That would just sum up the power of marketing (which we ALL fall for) for me, when the sales figures show businesses have stuck with Nokia or Siemens, whilst high street sales have boomed as the individual buys into technology they dont really have any need for.

They can't seriously be after the business market, otherwise they would have found some way of having decent integration with Exchange, which like it or not, is the predominant player in business email.

i don't think anyone denies thats its a nice implementation of exisiting technology, with a few small innovations built in.

The problem most people on here have is the HYPE - REINVENTED, REVOLUTIONARY, BREAKTHROUGH. Huh? Where? Which bit did I miss?

It may well have 3G by the time it gets here as well as small improvements elsewhere, but you can bet by launchtime there is going to be some rival kit already launched. The mobile companies will just push some products already in development up the priority list.

If you announce 6 months before launch, and who's to say it will actually be truly ready to launch then, then you a taking a massive risk with your competitors. In this case the competitors have clout and money. It's not like the MP3 player market, or the niche they have carved out in computing.

It just comes back to what some people including me say about Apple, once you get past the Hype and style and look at the substance, you aren't left with anything like what they say.

I've been looking for a device like this for ages, and have considered many options, but my K800i which was free on a 12 month unlimited data contract (3G) does an awful lot. Why should I buy this? I'd really love this to be the device I'm looking for but sadly its not.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

hoonin

« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2007, 10:06:38 am »
Why should I buy this? I'd really love this to be the device I'm looking for but sadly its not.

And in one fell swoop, he did kill off the Apple iPhone, FOR EVER!

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2007, 10:34:48 am »
It'll be interesting to see how user friendly it is for calling and texting, those are the areas which have tended to push mobile manufacturers away from a pure touch screen interface in the past.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2007, 10:49:16 am »
I'll phone into outer space. To find another race.

Yo you standin' 'pon the train with your irritating drone,
Now shut up Muthafucka with your fuckin flash Iphone,
It'll turn you on your side,
Make you wanna leave your wife,
Then I'll pound it on your head,
End your muthafuckin life,
The chicks all dig the iphone,
Those money grabbing bitches,
They'll leave you for Steve Jobs,
And his muthafuckin riches,
That shit will bring you pain,
Worse than you've ever seen,
You'll curse the day you laid eyes on,
Tha fuckin' wack touch screen,
Don't even try to run son,
Cause I'll just enjoy the chase,
As my fists upon your skull
will shortly interface,
Cause you brought your Apple gadget,
To my Nokia paradise,
Flaunting apple ergonomics
With their fucking Apple price
Yo I can't afford an Iphone,
An it makes me kind of pissed,
But I'll fill you full of lead,
If my Nokia is dissed,