Author Topic: FT Southampton 1 - 0 Liverpool (Redmond 20')  (Read 31841 times)

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
Re: FT Southampton 1 - 0 Liverpool (Redmond 20')
« Reply #440 on: January 12, 2017, 12:52:54 am »
Important to have pace in the team though. If we go with Coutinho-Firmino-Lallana in attack they can compress the pitch way too easily. Our ability to counter attack will be severely compromised and there'll be a dearth of runs in behind.

I honestly don't think runners in behind is they key. If Maureens track record is anything to go by he will probably sit relatively deep, not giving us the opportunity to get behind their defense, meaning Origi is pretty useless. We need to pack players in the midfield for me which means playing all of Hendo, Can, Wijnaldum and Lallana.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:58:42 am by Souness1 »

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: January 12, 2017, 12:58:22 am »
We weren't on our game today. Southampton deserved their win.

Lack of zip through the middle, lack of a focal point up front, lack of any pace on or off the ball and toothless out wide - same problems we've had against any other team that's parked the bus. Much to think about and try to remedy.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #442 on: January 12, 2017, 01:00:24 am »
I honestly don't think runners in behind is they key. If Maureens track record is anything to go by he will probably sit relatively deep, not giving us the opportunity to get behind their defense, meaning Origi is relatively useless. We need to pack players in the midfield for me which means playing all of Hendo, Can, Wijnaldum and Lallana.

They're on a good run and therefore I think they'll try and attack more than they did at Anfield. I certainly anticipate more opportunities for counter attacks in this game. Not to say it'll be end to end stuff but I think it'll be a slightly more open game. Either way I think scoring first is imperative for us.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: January 12, 2017, 01:06:28 am »
Origi has been awful generally this season, goals aside. Can't be having passengers on Sunday.

I disagree on all fronts. I rather have him up front and Lallana in midfield, Adam has to play there we miss him tremendously when he's not playing in midfield.

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
« Reply #444 on: January 12, 2017, 01:10:24 am »
I disagree on all fronts. I rather have him up front and Lallana in midfield, Adam has to play there we miss him tremendously when he's not playing in midfield.

You believe Origi has been good goals aisde? I find that baffling quite frankly.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #445 on: January 12, 2017, 01:11:36 am »
Important to have pace in the team though. If we go with Coutinho-Firmino-Lallana in attack they can compress the pitch way too easily. Our ability to counter attack will be severely compromised and there'll be a dearth of runs in behind.

Did we not play that front three when we dismantled City last season away from home? It might not be the quickest front 3 in terms of speed but it's versatile and incredibly intelligent. Coutinho might start but he will surely tire quickly given his lay-off, but that front 3 could do well for an hour or so. Lallana and Firmino have the ability to really press high and make it hard for defenders, although with that said Mourinho isn't stupid and will go long to negate our press.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: January 12, 2017, 01:14:49 am »
Did we not play that front three when we dismantled City last season away from home? It might not be the quickest front 3 in terms of speed but it's versatile and incredibly intelligent. Coutinho might start but he will surely tire quickly given his lay-off, but that front 3 could do well for an hour or so. Lallana and Firmino have the ability to really press high and make it hard for defenders, although with that said Mourinho isn't stupid and will go long to negate our press.

I think so yes, but Lallana has been so good in midfield that I'm loathed to see him moved. He's been so key to everything we've done and I like continuity  ;D

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
« Reply #447 on: January 12, 2017, 01:14:53 am »
They're on a good run and therefore I think they'll try and attack more than they did at Anfield. I certainly anticipate more opportunities for counter attacks in this game. Not to say it'll be end to end stuff but I think it'll be a slightly more open game. Either way I think scoring first is imperative for us.

Yep thats the hope, because it would really play into our hands. But I cant help but feel we need intelligence on the break rather than mere pace, United are no mugs at the back. I just feel Divvy is too naive at times and we could really utilise a front three who could manipulate the ball when on the counter attack. Sometimes I think we give up the ball too easily when Origi or Sturridge are playing, we seem so much more composed with neither in the side.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #448 on: January 12, 2017, 01:16:14 am »
I honestly don't think runners in behind is they key. If Maureens track record is anything to go by he will probably sit relatively deep, not giving us the opportunity to get behind their defense, meaning Origi is pretty useless. We need to pack players in the midfield for me which means playing all of Hendo, Can, Wijnaldum and Lallana.

Not even he would be as stupid as to tell his team to sit deep against us, at home. If anything, they'll just try to flood our box with crosses from the wing - put our keeper under pressure.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #449 on: January 12, 2017, 01:16:16 am »
2017 eh?
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #450 on: January 12, 2017, 01:18:25 am »
I think so yes, but Lallana has been so good in midfield that I'm loathed to see him moved. He's been so key to everything we've done and I like continuity  ;D

Oh I agree mate, he's been fantastic playing deeper this season but in a game like this, whereby it might come down to one piece of genius or a wonderful flowing move to break the deadlock, playing those 3 up front might just be the tonic we need. They've played well together in the past. It would rely on Gini or Can stepping up and being a bit more creative further forward but I think it's an option.

I also wouldn't be averse to playing Ejaria or Ojo. Throw a curveball at them.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #451 on: January 12, 2017, 01:20:32 am »
There's agreement that we are, and have been for some time, well below par.

But if we are concerned about what happened to the form we've shown for much of the season, what must Saints fans think when they witnessed such a forceful, physical and disciplined display, particularly in view of their recent league performances?

Cup football is an enigma for sure.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline willfc

• Kopite
    • Anfield 96 blog
« Reply #452 on: January 12, 2017, 01:21:10 am »
I'll be honest I'm not as down as I would be on the league as Plymouth was all kids mostly and tonight was a first leg. Beat united Sunday, that'll be the start of momentum to win every game to the end of the month
"I told my players during the break: Since we're here anyway, we might actually play a bit of football." - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
« Reply #453 on: January 12, 2017, 01:22:43 am »
Not even he would be as stupid as to tell his team to sit deep against us, at home. If anything, they'll just try to flood our box with crosses from the wing - put our keeper under pressure.

There's a difference between sitting deep and playing a 631 like they did at Anfield, with no ambition going forward . Its been shown over the last 3/4 games that sitting deep against us can be effective. When I say sitting deep I don't mean holding out for a 0-0, I would never expect a United team to do that at their place but I think they will throw a lot more men forward on the break even if if they sat relatively deep.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: January 12, 2017, 02:02:52 am »
Just because a defence sits deep doesn't mean runners in behind are redundant. Quite the opposite in fact. You need quick, darting runs between defenders to penetrate or to open up space. Origi may or may not be the answer but it's wrong to claim you don't need runners in behind against a deep block. We need more not less.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: January 12, 2017, 02:31:59 am »
In my opinion, the 3 most important players to the way we play are Firmino (central striker), Lallana (attacking midfield), and Milner (LB).  We always look worse when Lallana isn't playing in the midfield and when Firmino isn't playing central. 

Lallana not only connects the 3 attackers with the midfielders but he also makes many penetrating runs which unbalances the defense and opens up space for others as well as putting himself in some great positions.

Firmino's pressing doesn't need to be talked about and his movement when we have the ball is top notch and was desperately missing tonight.  Maybe the most unappreciated aspect of Firmino's game is his ability to win (or atleast challenge) long balls.  This was something that was sorely missing tonight.  I lost count of the number of unchallenged headers the Southampton center backs had tonight.

We looked awful tonight but hopefully it was because everyone had 1 eye on the weekend because if we play like we did tonight it won't be fun on Sunday. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: January 12, 2017, 02:36:38 am »
Thats the final nail in the coffin for Sturridge, for me.

That was the performance of a coward. Hasn't got a sprint in him. Seemed to be deliberately occupying space that was less favourable for him to receive the ball.

There were a few very poor performances there tonight, none showed the cowardice that Sturridge displayed.

Our play was lethargic and has been for a few games. Its not ideal going into Sundays game but defeat at Old Trafford, we're moving from worrying to an actual slump.

We looked tired and leggy from around 60 mins. Bit of cause for concern.

Needless to say, this is well over the top.  However, I think it is probably clear to most that when everyone is fit Sturridge is, at best, an impact sub. 

Offline invader_gir

• Anny Roader
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #457 on: January 12, 2017, 03:52:09 am »
We werent at out best, Karius kept us alive for the return leg. If we play like this on Sunday we are going to be humiliated at OT.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: January 12, 2017, 04:22:38 am »
We have a good team but poor squad.

We will find next season in the CL and cups difficult to deal with unless we get more quality in.

We have been average at best last 3 matches.

We haven't qualified for the champions league yet..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #459 on: January 12, 2017, 06:45:56 am »
Almost worst we've played all season. Too many players out of position tonight - Lallana, Firmino, Lucas, Emre...

Don't know what's happened to Emre but he's playing like a 35 year old who's legs are shot. So very slow.

Shame, tonight was a waste of energy. Karius had a good game though.

I agree on Can, and whilst it's harsh I just don't see him as being anything but a back up in midfield.
Him and Lucas last night were just so slow and static, they just totally disrupt the flow of our play.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: January 12, 2017, 06:48:15 am »
Dreading the match on Sunday now. We've struggled ever since Firmino got moved out wide, now with Mane missing too it's just too much for the team. Lallana being pushed further forward and outside doesn't suit him. I was disappointed with milner who kept trying to lump balls into the box they were shocking. Can can't control a ball right now and is getting dispossessed and Wijnaldum is struggling with no Henderson nearby.

We need some new players, squad depth is appalling, we have no like for like replacements and instead have to move players around, that's not how it should be Imo. We should have anothrr pacy option, we should have another creative attacking playmaker. Firmino is a central forward, not a wide player, so is sturridge and origi is the only one who you can say could play wide because of his raw pace but for me hasn't got the discipline. I don't know what can is, Lallana is key deeper and more central.

Everything went to shit last night and our weaknesses were glaring.

Time for FSG to put there hand in there pocket I think.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #461 on: January 12, 2017, 07:01:39 am »
Dreading the match on Sunday now. We've struggled ever since Firmino got moved out wide, now with Mane missing too it's just too much for the team. Lallana being pushed further forward and outside doesn't suit him. I was disappointed with milner who kept trying to lump balls into the box they were shocking. Can can't control a ball right now and is getting dispossessed and Wijnaldum is struggling with no Henderson nearby.

We need some new players, squad depth is appalling, we have no like for like replacements and instead have to move players around, that's not how it should be Imo. We should have anothrr pacy option, we should have another creative attacking playmaker. Firmino is a central forward, not a wide player, so is sturridge and origi is the only one who you can say could play wide because of his raw pace but for me hasn't got the discipline. I don't know what can is, Lallana is key deeper and more central.

Everything went to shit last night and our weaknesses were glaring.

Time for FSG to put there hand in there pocket I think.

Agree completely, it's frustrating as we have a real chance to push on and challenge given our current league position.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #462 on: January 12, 2017, 07:05:35 am »
Agree completely, it's frustrating as we have a real chance to push on and challenge given our current league position.

Now is the time to act, we are desperately short of cover in a number of positions. If there isn't any money to spend then fair enough, we just have to get on with it, but i can see us struggling the rest of the season if thats the case.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #463 on: January 12, 2017, 07:33:23 am »
Absolutely terrible there, lucky to still be in the tie.

They found it so easy to defend against us too which is worrying. Mane can't come back quick enough and the lack of depth is really showing up.

Emre Can is really struggling for us. It's getting to the stage where his presence is having a negative impact. He'll come good but he should be on the fringes at the moment, young players have dips and he's having a big dip now.

Badly need Henderson fit this weekend.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #464 on: January 12, 2017, 07:48:12 am »
Very difficult watching that game last night.
We were poor in every department..only Karius can really come out with his head up.
Van Dijk mopped almost everything up & was motm by miles.
Back to the drawing board on what we were doing early in the season coz Utd wont be as generous this weekend
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline CLOCKSPEED

• his processor is underclocked
  • Kopite
« Reply #465 on: January 12, 2017, 08:33:19 am »
Seemed to be deliberately occupying space that was less favourable for him to receive the ball.

We looked tired and leggy from around 60 mins. Bit of cause for concern.

Might not agree with the rest of our observations entirely but these two correct and very worrying .  I personally did not think we needed new recruits January quite simply we need  a replacement for Mane.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: January 12, 2017, 08:37:49 am »
The more I think about this game the more it makes sense.

We have two players in our squad that we have no backup for, in the sense that we have no one that we can swap in like for like that can perform all the same tasks to anywhere near the same level.

Henderson and Mané.

We have no one with Mane's electric pace and ability to scare the shit out of people 1v1.

We have no one with Henderson's athleticism and work rate, coupled with his passing range.

Take one of them out and we need to reshuffle everyone's jobs. Take both of them out and we get what we just saw.

Offline solidgold

• Main Stander
« Reply #467 on: January 12, 2017, 08:46:19 am »
It was not an easy game. There are few good things I saw from last night :

1.  Karius was commanding and confident. He saved us from been booted out from the league cup
2. No major injuries from last night outing
3. Couthino is back. He dictated the tempo from the middle of the park after he came on
4. Losing 1-0 away in a 2-leg game is nothing serious. If you are in the qtr finals of europa or champion league games, winning 1-0 at home is not a done deal.
5. Did not concede more goals ( a plus point)
6. Did not need to risk Henderson in this game so he can come in fresh against Man Utd

I think that both Klopp and the players are all eyeing the Man Utd game and did not turn on their "turbo" saving  it for the crucial game over the weekend.

1. You could see that we were not winning 2nd balls
2. Looked like conserving energy. Avoiding 1-on-1 challenge (maybe to avoid red cards)
3. Alot of possession and sideways play
4. Throwing in Origi only in the last few mins
5. Adopting 3-5-2 formation with less than 10mins to-go

We will go to OT as an underdog for sure. If we do skin Man U over the weekend, this will indeed be a masterclass strategy. 

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: January 12, 2017, 08:47:21 am »
Ultimately we have probably gone too long with too many key players. Missing Henderson, Matip and Coutinho (especially the latter 2 for so long) and then a side with no Mane and there is no surprise we are struggling a bit.

Yesterday the midfield was awful. Can had a shocker of a performance. Up front our attackers were poor and Sturridge needs to do more as a senior player.

We just need to get through Jan and we should be set. Its a difficult period thats not helped with too many key players out.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: January 12, 2017, 08:57:56 am »
We were missing key players, but as I said before the game I don't think we played the right formation to suit the ones we had.

Lallana was needed in CM, not in the front three. 

Firmino is far better central than wide. 

Sturridge is best with a partner upfront, otherwise he can get isolated - which happened last night.  He wasn't really able to roam in that formation as we needed him central.

The good news was Karius made some important saves and looked far more dominant in controlling his box. 

We are also still in the tie, so it's not a disaster.

As Klopp said, we need to see a reaction in the 2nd leg and against Man U.  But I think he could help, but selecting a formation that suits the players we have available.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #470 on: January 12, 2017, 09:06:08 am »
A big part of last nights issue:

Total Losses of Possession:
42 tonight.
34 Man City H
33 Man Utd H
29 Spurs A
26 Chelsea A

11 Lallana
10 Can
6 Sturridge
5 Firmino
3 Klavan, Milner
1 Lucas, Wijnaldum, Coutinho, Origi

Dan Kennett ‏@DanKennett 11h11 hours ago

Just to be clear, "Losses of Possesion" here means caught in possession and bad control.  It doesn't mean incomplete passes or crosses

Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #471 on: January 12, 2017, 09:10:06 am »
Lallana kept running into blind alleys like he did in the old days, and Can was just dawdling on the ball, which he really should have learned by now that you can't do agains decent opposition.

Those numbers don't surprise me, could tell after 20 minutes that we were putting in a particularly sloppy performance. Probably got worse after half time, unfortunately.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: January 12, 2017, 09:33:00 am »
Southampton lauded for their display. It was a bank of 4, then 5. Typical small-club mentality. We'll twat them at Anfield because they're fucking dross.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: January 12, 2017, 09:35:41 am »
Southampton lauded for their display. It was a bank of 4, then 5. Typical small-club mentality. We'll twat them at Anfield because they're fucking dross.

The fact they could've hammered us last night surely doesn't speak well for us then. They had 5 clear goalscoring opportunities and we're extremely fortunate to still be alive in the tie.

Offline Greek Ern

• Kemlynite
« Reply #474 on: January 12, 2017, 09:44:54 am »
Really surprised to see people lumping in Can and Lucas together performance wise in this game.  For instance, Can lost possession 11 times compared to  Lucas' once (Lallana 11 times!). Which  probably ties in with why I thought Can and Lallana played crap.

Offline RedmenPhil

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #475 on: January 12, 2017, 09:47:16 am »
Such a difficult game to watch last night, could have been worst... Was the team jet lagged goin to st.marys? One eye on the Sunday game? Already thinking about a Wembley final?

Strangely...The way i see it... we played S$£". Its a kick up the arse for our sunday meeting with the Mancs and playing mind games with Utd.

Jose Mourinho team and tactics will setup not to lose, and Southampton did exactly that, not concede at home and attacked us with pace. Our 2nd leg at home is a walkin tight rope. Concede one goal and we'd need to score 3! Jesus... I'll be at Anfield under the lights and the Kop will need to be the Twelfth man in a couple of weeks.

We have a few days of training for preparation and recovery and will be working on creating chances when teams sit back...

It makes Sundays game even more unpredictable...

Jose will know how he wants to play, whether united players will take a leaf out of Southampton's tactics is a another thing.  I have no doubt that the Brain and Klopp will be working on the training field to counteract situations like this.

Bring on Sunday!

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #476 on: January 12, 2017, 09:50:43 am »
Really surprised to see people lumping in Can and Lucas together performance wise in this game.  For instance, Can lost possession 11 times compared to  Lucas' once (Lallana 11 times!). Which  probably ties in with why I thought Can and Lallana played crap.

Probably because we were so susceptible to the counter compared to previous games. I know not all of that can be attributed to Lucas but he was playing DM.

And the way Long left him for dead was laughable.

Offline OperationIvy

• Kopite
« Reply #477 on: January 12, 2017, 09:57:38 am »
Probably because we were so susceptible to the counter compared to previous games. I know not all of that can be attributed to Lucas but he was playing DM.

And the way Long left him for dead was laughable.

to be fair, Long is an agile player and he had just come on in the 82nd minute, whereas Lucas had played the whole game and is arguably short on match fitness.

Can needs to be substituted when we are chasing a game because he is not usually creative enough and is too slow.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #478 on: January 12, 2017, 09:58:12 am »
Matip + a fully fit Coutinho + Hendo + Anfield semi final atmosphere = we'll get to the final

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: January 12, 2017, 09:59:42 am »
We've not been playing as well as we did earlier in the season for quite a few games now. We have been disrupted by losing vital players from our system all at the same time...

Coutinho
Matip
Henderson
Mane

These have probably been (excluding Lallana) our stand out players so far.  Three of them should be starting on Sunday and that should reduce the impact of Mane's absence hopefully.

If we get back to a midfield of Henderson Lallana and Wijnaldum and our front three has Coutinho, Firmino (central) and one other we should find our mojo again.

We can beat Southampton at home of course so last night can be forgotten hopefully.

I agree that we do need to add to the squad and I don't think for a second that the money isn't available, more that we need very specific types of players to cover the likes of Mane and Henderson and they are hard to find and buy.