Author Topic: PREVIEW: Liverpool FC vs QPR. Carra's Last Stand. A Liverpool son's view  (Read 25715 times)

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Dad, if we win, sorry dad when we win, can I come out on the pitch please with you? I’ve only known this club from the time I’ve been born and I’ve seen you at all the matches. I think mum made me watch them too when I was in the belly and what not on your big telly but I’ve loved all the times I’ve seen you at Anfield. It’s been boss Dad so please. Please. Please?

When you played your 500th match I was the mascot. I was only little but I remember it like yesterday. I looked around me and took in sights they’ll never see. The spirit of many who graced the pitch at Anfield shimmered in the night and I felt every one of them looking back at me. It was hard to look at them for long as I only wanted to see you. My giant. My hero. They call you Jamie Carragher. I call you Dad.

I couldn’t even reach the top of your legs then. I was too small but I was nearly there. Mum still laughs about that now but I know she’s only teasing. I think she forced me to wear someone else's name on my back but that top was flushed down the toilet a few years back (sorry about the plumbers bill). It was such an immense feeling Dad. We won I think 5-0 or something like that. That Uncle Stevie even felt like getting a hattrick. That was nice but it wasn’t the best bit. The best bit was walking with you and your guard of honour. I’m sure I saw these 2 old men smiling down too. They have their names at the gates and one of them has a statue outside the shop too. Grandad’s told me all about them… then again you’ve told me about them every night for so long I feel I’ll know them for a very long time to come.

You’ve seen it all Dad. Mum’s told you won things all the way back in 1996. Not sure what the world look liked then, I guess you couldn’t even text someone that you’d won. Grandad once showed me a payphone but I don’t think I’d ever use one. Did you know then what you’d achieve over the next 17 years? Did you dream like I do at night thinking of the glory yet to come? I sometimes think back to everything you’ve shown me. From how to lace a boot through to taking me to the Academy. From what a club like Liverpool has done for a Bootle boy like you and what it could one day mean for me to be like you. For me to step out in front of the Kop and hear the roar.

Hopefully you won’t be too far behind me when that happens!

When you won your first medal with Liverpool did you feel there were more to come? Even in that same year? How could you explain the emotions of such a feat? Not once but 3 times in that season alone! I live for days like that Dad. I have this feeling inside me that you do too.

Mum once took me to the trophies and medals bit in the house when I was little. You weren’t around. She said I couldn’t touch them in case something fell or broke. I’d never have done that though Dad I promise. I wouldn’t want to be the one telling you that I’d damaged those treasures. I know you wouldn’t get mad at me but I just wouldn’t want to break your heart. Every day I’ve seen you get up and be in a regime training harder and harder. Nan says you do it because you love it. I think you do it because you care. You know what every fan goes through as you’ve been in their shoes. You’ve been there when there has been lows that our city was subjected to and people said we’d never come back. You’ve been there when the highs have carried us to hell and back. There’s a Polish fella I hear about too. He says you’re the fastest runner from the centre line when we win.

You’ve been there whenever I’ve needed you. I know I’m lucky. Some kids don’t get that even when their Dad is around. We know you love us. And them fans too!

One day Dad I’m going to do things for Liverpool FC. I wish with every bone in my body that I can. Be brave when others show fear all around you and a leader when the cowards have all run away. A player that everyone can hold their head up high and sing about. A man that all come to admire. I want to be there for the people of Liverpool when they need us and for the fans from far and wide. I forever wish Dad that I, your son, can be like you.

So many have come and gone since you’ve been there. Managers, Players, Friends and Enemies. I bet next year you’ll even be sitting next to an old foe. Just remind him he’ll always be a Manc to many of us. But hey Dad, today, when we win and you’ve told me we will, can I please please please come on the pitch with you? I’ll then get to feel that sliver of glory that every fan longs for.

EDIT: Thanks Dad. I wrote this for you. You did this for me. I held that cup and I just knew. It helped there was a King next to me. I felt like the heir to a very big throne... yours!

Some fella on that Internet says it’s your last game for Liverpool. It doesn’t matter who we’re playing. It doesn’t matter who else plays with you in the team. All that matters is what you’ve done for us because, after all, we’ve dreamt of a whole team of you.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:21:47 pm by Harinder »
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
Re: Liverpool FC vs QPR. Carra's Last Stand. A Liverpool son's view
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:26:41 am »
Fantastic and fitting tribute to true legend of our club.

If the "Being: Liverpool" programme of last summer showed anything, it was also an insight to what a devoted dad Carra is.  Standing in the pissing rain to watch his boy playing football.

I guess it hasn't really sunk in yet that he'll be gone this summer and even if he wasn't playing as regularly as he used to, I bet his presence in the dressing room was immense.  I think his team mates will miss him as much as we will.

He really did it didn't he?  A local lad who played out his dreams, and the dreams of kids (and even adults) to play for Liverpool Football Club!!  He lived the dream, and lived it so well.

But Carra didn't just 'play' for Liverpool.  He was the life-blood of the club, he genuinely felt every defeat, they really hurt him and enjoyed every success - and thankfully, there were plenty of them.  Jamie Carragher became a 'true' legend of a legendary football club, and city.

We'll miss you Carra.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 06:35:48 pm »
Great finish to a really excellent series of articles this season. Massive thanks to everyone!
Yep.

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 06:51:44 pm »
Hear hear! Well in Jamie, I hope you soak up and enjoy every split second of it. You have given everything to Liverpool Football Club, lived mine and many others dreams far better than we could.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:02:26 pm »
Fantastic and fitting tribute to true legend of our club.

If the "Being: Liverpool" programme of last summer showed anything, it was also an insight to what a devoted dad Carra is.  Standing in the pissing rain to watch his boy playing football.

I guess it hasn't really sunk in yet that he'll be gone this summer and even if he wasn't playing as regularly as he used to, I bet his presence in the dressing room was immense.  I think his team mates will miss him as much as we will.

He really did it didn't he?  A local lad who played out his dreams, and the dreams of kids (and even adults) to play for Liverpool Football Club!!  He lived the dream, and lived it so well.

But Carra didn't just 'play' for Liverpool.  He was the life-blood of the club, he genuinely felt every defeat, they really hurt him and enjoyed every success - and thankfully, there were plenty of them.  Jamie Carragher became a 'true' legend of a legendary football club, and city.

We'll miss you Carra.

This one will really hurt come Sunday. We won't see anything like this again... until Gerrard hangs up his boots  :(
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
What an absolutely wonderful post :) .

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Superb OP, Carra's interview today summed him up, honest and straightforward, no bullshit just says it as it is, wish him all the best in what ever he does, thanks Carra

YNWA
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 09:49:32 pm »
Hopefully a clean sheet and a twatting with him being subbed off at the end, he'll probably want to stay on though! Going to feel very strange, I'm only 28 so have hardly known us without him.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What a superb post.  Carragher will be missed.  What a legend!

Also well done to everyone who has written a match preview this season.  I've enjoyed every single one of them. 

Offline hoppyLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @OTKFlags
Great opening post Harinder, we are all so used to Jamie being at the club its going to be a massive wrench for us all, it really is the end of an era, lets give him a massive send off on sunday :'(....

Few men have earned so much respect from so many.
@OTKFlags

Supporter, not a customer!

JFT97

SOS member 11059

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Nice post Mr Harinder.

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
we all dream of a team of carraghers..............

its not over already?????????????

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Great post.

We all dream of a RAWK of Harinders.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
"Jamie, the fans have sung about a 'team of Carraghers', what would the result have been?"

"0-0"

From today's press conference. Not the exact words but something to that effect. I'll certainly miss his playing and his madness on the pitch and his sense of humour off it. Luckily we'll get plenty of that on the tv. Loved when the reporter asked him about retirement last year after winning the Carling Cup. Classic Carra.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Superb post Harinder.

I'm convinced that he won't stay in the media for too long.  He loves football too much to stay confined to a studio.  He'll be coaching in no time.

Thanks Jamie... one of the all time greatest.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
That was a wonderful read.

Hard to believe that this really will be his last game. Let's send him off in the best possible way. I've got the feeling that at some point in the match we'll be awarded a penalty, and there's only one man who's going to take it...

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
Give him the armband.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Great finish to a really excellent series of articles this season. Massive thanks to everyone!

As with other features you've added - this also deserves a thanks. Thanks for taking it on and a big thank you to all those who have taken the time to write.

Give him the armband.

Surely, a given, no?
@Yvanicuzz

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
After this match, who will he support?. he was a blue before he played for us, how about after he has played for us? And yes, if I was Brendan, I would let him take the penalty!
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come On Redmen!
Looking forward to being at this for a nice send off for Jamie. Comfortable win then lots of Carra songs in order.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
Struggling with the idea of this being Jamie Carragher's last game. He's been here ever since I started watching the team, I can't imagine it without him in it.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fantastic OP. very emotional read, I hope my daughter can feel that way towards me when she gets older.

As already mentioned I can't believe the time has come for him to go, I know lots of fans who despise him for many reasons but for me he will always  be the embodiment of a real footballer, not graced with the best skills in the world but what he lacked in technical ability he more than made up for in heart and passion and desire to win, not just for himself but for us and the people of this city. He crossed the park and completely embraced our club, and in doing so has become one of our true legends and deserves his place at the top table.

Thanks Carra, for everything. YNWA.

Offline MazzaRed

• Kopite
Absolutely GUTTED I wont be at this.....it will be so emotional....Sami's send off a few years back had me blubbing, maybe better I'm at home, in private....and yes a pen please!!

All the best lad, in whatever you do. Hope you're back for Stevie's testimonial in August  :D
Roman....if ever you're skint.....
                                              ......we've got 6 Euro's !

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
Great read  :) Really got the feeling of lump in my throat
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
Give him any penalties!
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Give him any penalties!
Memory tells me he took one at his testimonial ;)

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
Give him any penalties!

That'd be class but knowing Carra he'd refuse unless we were 8-0 up or something just in case he missed and they came back he'd never forgive himself because he wants the team to win more than anything. That's the Carra we all know and love :)

He'll be sadly, sadly missed

Offline G1-tiga

• Kopite
Great opening post. Can't believe this is it. Would love to shake the man's hand and just say 'thank you'. Gonna be a good day with a bittersweet ending.

23 Carra gold! COME ON YOU REDMEN! Send him off in style!

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
Memory tells me he took one at his testimonial ;)

I remember they put him on England v Portugal cos he was the top pen taker when they practiced them the day before.

And he scored. Then missed when it had to be retaken?..
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Stigathedump

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
Penalty taker must surely be Carra for this game!!

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just beautiful writing mate   :wellin
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Excellent post.

Brilliantly written.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
After this match, who will he support?. he was a blue before he played for us, how about after he has played for us? And yes, if I was Brendan, I would let him take the penalty!

He's a Liverpool supporter. He made that pretty clear in the press conference. Can't remember the exact words but he was talking about how he feels when Liverpool lose-comparing himself to all the other supporters...
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
I remember they put him on England v Portugal cos he was the top pen taker when they practiced them the day before.

And he scored. Then missed when it had to be retaken?..

Yes. But he did score one in the 2001 Worthington Cup Final. Was a good one as well.

Offline europort12

• Boys Pen
They'll be wearing next seasons kit in this game.

All about the $$$ now.  :(

https://twitter.com/James_Carroll84/status/335296768017317888

Great opening post btw.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:55:55 am by europort12 »

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
Lovely tribute to a player who is becoming a dying breed as you wont see too many lads play 15 plus years for the club again. The day should be a celebration of all those fantastic moments over his career that we will never forget. Im sure he love to score on the day but he will love a clean sheet even more and like the true professional he is he will fight tooth n nail to make that happen.

Thanks again for making one of our most fantatstic nights come true.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
I loved that mate, and slowly getting down to that pic nearly put a lump in my throat.
Men shouldn't get like that, not at half nine on a Friday morning having a cup of tea and a piece of toast ..... but if you have a lad, that you know worships you, then you see a picture of a dad and a lad and king, a soft emotion tastes better than the 1 sugar in the tea.

Who knows what Jamie and his family are feeling. He's young and wealthy with a prosperous exciting life ahead of him still, hopefully even some better days than 2001 and 2005. But nothing will prepare him for how torn he'll feel on Sunday, his pride of being adored by the red & white masses together with the respect he'll be shown from the blue hoops will not compensate the gulf left when emptying his body from that number 23 shirt. If anyone thought Number 7 should be retired then there's more of an argument to preserve and enshrine Number 23.

I hope the sun shines, I hope he scores, I hope he absorbs every second & sponges the flags & songs devoted to his honour, I hope he has a fulfilling carer away from the club, but most of all I hope one day he returns.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
Great post. That's all I can say  :)

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool have kept clean sheets in 10 of their last 15 home league games. QPR have scored once in their last 455 mins, a penalty.

Offline Earl of Dingleberry

• Legacy Fan
after all, we’ve dreamt of a whole team of you.

I used to dream that the referee and his assistants are Jamie Carraghers too.