Author Topic: My one worry about Brendan Rodgers  (Read 42069 times)

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
My one worry about Brendan Rodgers
« on: June 2, 2012, 10:17:10 am »

When we were initially linked with Brendan Rodgers my thoughts was who’s he? What’s he done? Oh he’s turned us down, I’m gutted! Served with tongue firmly in cheek. I’m not the most in tune when it comes to other club’s and I’m quite unashamedly Liverpool centric so when people asked me who would be my preferred choice out of the candidates we were linked with, of those that actually stood a chance i.e. anyone who hadn’t previously managed Liverpool then I was completely clueless.

When it became evident that it was likely to either be Roberto Martinez, Louis Van Gaal or Brendan Rodgers and inevitably there started to spring up articles all over the place detailing the careers and footballing philosophies on all three candidates. The CV’s of Martinez and Rodgers pale in comparison to Van Gaal’s but they all appeared to favour the same style of football. Unfortunately each seemed to possess an achilles heel, where at least one cause for concern leapt from the computer screen at me.

For the Dutchman it was his apparent volatile nature, and ability to start a fight with his own shadow, for Martinez it was his team’s reluctance to change their swashbuckling nature, an attitude which might account for their relegation dogfights, but may also be tempered by their star players being poached by other clubs.

With Brendan Rodgers, the more I read the more I liked. I watched a few YouTube videos where he discussed football with the Match of the Day 3 panel at the tail end of the season, and he spoke eloquently and most importantly intelligently about the game. On the show Alan Shearer, Robbie Savage and Brendan Rodgers were asked to choose their all time Premier League XI and while Shearer and Savage opted for a 4-4-2 formation Brendan went for the familiar (to us) 4-2-3-1 and when asked why Gigg’s wasn’t in his team he remarked that he was a fantastic player but he didn’t fit the system. Now this was a purely hypothetical situation where he made a tough decision on the basis of what was good for the team, not the individual player, and it was that thought process that made me lean towards favouring him out of the remaining candidates in supposedly serious contention.

As I said all three have their supposed weaknesses and for me it was how good is the Norn Iron man in the transfer market? All I kept reading about was how Brendan Rodgers had continued the great legacy that had been left by Roberto Martinez at Swansea. It seemed evident from the high regard players held him in that he was at least a half decent man-manager, from videos I’d watched from his backroom staff it seemed he was pretty meticulous in his tactical preparation too, one of the things that kept coming up was his emphasis on players being of good character, but did he have it in the transfer market? Could he distinguish a player from a hardworking yard dog journeyman?

In other words had the team that had finished so comfortably mid-table this season been Martinez’s handy-work, undoubtedly managed well by Rodgers, but had Roberto himself built the team that had done so remarkable in their first Premier League season, so I decided to check.

My methods aren’t the most scientific, I’ve basically cross referenced the Swansea City website, Wikipedia and transfermarkt.co.uk and between them worked out which players featured the most (League games only) how much they were bought for, at what age and who brought them to the club? I also looked at the estimated market values as indicated on transfermarkt.co.uk

The first notable thing, which probably wont come as a surprise to many of you, but in between Roberto Martinez and Brendan Rodgers, there was Paulo Sousa. As I say I’m pretty blinkered when it comes to football these days: I only care, watch, worry about the team in red. So anyway it seems I’d been lead to believe that Brendan Rodgers had continued the style of football put in place by Martinez, it wasn’t true, at least not directly. It had been via Sousa.

The players that started most league games were Michel Vorm (37 starts) Ashley Williams (37) Leon Britton (35) Scott Sinclair (35) Neil Taylor (35) Angel Rangel (32) Danny Graham (32) Joe Allen (31) Nathan Dyer (29) and Steven Caulker (26) of these, four were brought in by Brendan Rodgers, two were signed by Martinez, and two by Sousa, while Joe Allen was a product of their youth system.

Wayne Routledge and Gylfi Sigurdsson both started 17 matches in the league, and were brought in by Rodgers. Garry Monk and Mark Gower were signed in turn by Kenny Jackett and Roberto Martinez and started 14 matches each. Andrea Orlandi, Kemy Augustien, Luke Moore, Leroy Lita and Ashley Richards were first on the team sheet a total of 22 times between them, although it’s worth noting that Moore and Lita were used as substitutes 17 times and 12 times respectively in Swansea’s league campaign, both bought by Brendan Rodgers, with Richards having come through as a trainee and Orlandi a Martinez purchase.

What this means is of the Premier League squad used 11 were brought in by Rodgers, four by Roberto Martinez, two by Paulo Sousa and one by Kenny Jackett, with the other two coming through the youth team. It would only be fair to note Jackett initially signed Leon Britton in his first spell at the club, before Rodgers eventually coaxed him back from Sheffield Utd.

Not including loanees Brendan Rodgers counting only the players mentioned above, and the goalkeeping understudy Gerhardt Tremmel has an average spend of £1.3m per player, with an average increase in value over the nine players featured of £1.67m per player, worked out in accordance with the figures listed on transfermarkt.co.uk. The average age of these players is 26 at time of purchase, which includes Tremmel at 33 years of age, but discounts the two loan deals of Caulker (17) from Spurs and Sigurdsson (22) from Hoffenheim. If we were to include the loan signings it would reduce the average age to 25 years.

So what does this tell us? Well I think it says that Rodgers had by this season certainly stamped his name onto the squad at least. He also hasn’t done what the Allardyce’s of this world do and opt for players looking for a final pay day before they retire, those careers he has sought to revive; the likes of Routledge, Moore and Lita were still relatively young at 26 years of age when he signed them for Swansea City. The increase in value of the players is inevitable given they’re now considered Premier League quality, are still relatively young and under Rodgers tactics had begun carving out reputations for themselves, being linked with some of the Premier League’s top clubs.

This doesn’t answer the question of how he will fair with a proper kitty. I mean David Moyes has done wonders at a small club, but he’s had the best success, and found the best players at bargain basement prices; Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar. When he’s been given relatively big money he’s blown it; Yakubu, Johnson and Kroldrup, so there is always that slight concern that Rodgers’ transfer nous won’t translate to big money, on that we can only wait and see. What we do know from my meticulously conducted research is that out of the Swansea squad most of the players are his, even if previous managers brought a minority of the major contributors to the club. So every credit should go to Brendan Rodgers achievements with the Swans this season.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2012, 11:48:06 am by The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society »
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: My one worry about Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #1 on: June 2, 2012, 10:20:21 am »
"My post has been amended by autocorrect. Please report me to the site admins for being ignorant".
« Last Edit: June 2, 2012, 02:08:55 pm by Alan_X »

Offline Steven Gerrard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 2, 2012, 10:23:08 am »
good post  :)  i felt the same way about roadgers too until i started watching the videos and links about him, it will be very interesting to see who he buys and which players he gets rid of  this summer with that compensation package agreed with Swansea it wont be any ex Swansea players for sure
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time

Offline Carlos: Very Kickable

• Pompous Twat. Scourge of Pinko Liberalism. Attitude to Cyan Conservatism is unclear. Lives in a Monochrome world and is baffled by colours.
  • Legacy Fan
  • As Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus would say...
« Reply #3 on: June 2, 2012, 10:28:37 am »
Interesting post - thanks for doing the research!

I know you struggle with reading comprehension Carlitos, but do try to pay attention

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #4 on: June 2, 2012, 10:29:37 am »
"My post has been amended by autocorrect. Please report me to the site admins for being ignorant".?
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #5 on: June 2, 2012, 10:31:23 am »
In terms of him handling a transfer budget , who knows? time will tell, inevitably he will get a few right and a few wrong like all managers.
The thing that concerns me is that he has had no experience of winning.(and to a degree losing those big matches) Those big nights at anfield in the CL when you are in the semi knowing if you conceed you are out , nervy tactical games, how will he fare?
To be honest i will back him and he seems very assured for a man who has won fuck all. But we will see.
He mas my backing and he deserves the time to implement his idea properly, who knows it could turn out to be an astute signing.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #6 on: June 2, 2012, 10:31:38 am »
"My post has been amended by autocorrect. Please report me to the site admins for being ignorant".?

Too Long Didnt Read

AKA

Internet Bellendery.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #7 on: June 2, 2012, 10:33:17 am »
Good read mate , time will tell.

I'm sure in one of the threads it was said that Brendan last season commented on we should sell certain players not sure if he mentioned names maybe just certain new signings werent good enough ?

Anybody know who they where ? If true ?

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 2, 2012, 10:33:22 am »
Thought this was going to be a lot more negative than it was.  Agree though, I think this was the main reason most wanted someone like Van Gaal in, as people didn't think Rodgers can attract the best players.  I think we'll be going for under the radar players, Sigurdsson esqe players that aren't world stars. 

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #9 on: June 2, 2012, 10:33:45 am »
Too Long Didnt Read

AKA

Internet Bellendery.

Awww but I put in pretty little paragraphs for him... ah well.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #10 on: June 2, 2012, 10:33:56 am »

It means 'too long didn't read'. The sort of attention span that's got us in this mess.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #11 on: June 2, 2012, 10:35:26 am »
It means 'too long didn't read'. The sort of attention span that's got us in this mess.

Oh my God , missed a good post

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #12 on: June 2, 2012, 10:37:59 am »
Too Long Didnt Read

AKA

Internet Bellendery.

file under LMFAO, LOL, IMHO, ROFL....and other various arsewipery

HTH
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 2, 2012, 10:39:16 am »
From what I've read on the him and listening to him I think that he's the kind of guy that if given 40 million he'll buy one biggish name and then 2-3 unknown types that he has scouted personally, but knows they'll have the ability to perform, I personally don't see him going out and pishing 40 million up the wall.

He has the potential to be another Rafa, the brains and tactical nous is there, but for now it's just potential as his back story is still a preface.

Cheers as well OP, I'm unabashedly Liverpool-centric too so knew very little about the guy, therefore I think I'm guilty of of being a stat/achievement whore at times.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2012, 10:41:01 am by ♠Dirty Harry♠ »

Offline Istanbulievable

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 2, 2012, 10:39:35 am »
Too Long Didnt Read

AKA

Internet Bellendery.

How fucking rude are some people.

Good post.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #15 on: June 2, 2012, 10:40:45 am »
My only worry is would he be able to implement his kind of passing game to our group of players.

One thing I do notice is that fundamentally Rodgers` football philosophy is very very similar to the one of Rafa Benitez. High defensive line, controlling the game, pressing high up the pitch. At the same time we have Reina, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Lucas , Gerrard, Kuyt the players that excelled under Benitez in a system that was practically the same. I see no reason why should they have any problem adopting to Rodgers` system. That is reassuring as far as I am concerned.

When it comes to worries about performance in transfer market as long as we stay away from the calamitous buy british policy we should be ok.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 2, 2012, 10:41:14 am »
Awww but I put in pretty little paragraphs for him... ah well.

Hey, I read it all! I was merely summing up for those who appreciate "My post has been amended by autocorrect. Please report me to the site admins for being ignorant".'s, personally I'm not really one of them. Sometimes you're in a rush and need the gist of a piece though, no matter how well it's written. (As the OP is)

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #17 on: June 2, 2012, 10:42:57 am »
Hey, I read it all! I was merely summing up for those who appreciate "My post has been amended by autocorrect. Please report me to the site admins for being ignorant".'s, personally I'm not really one of them. Sometimes you're in a rush and need the gist of a piece though, no matter how well it's written. (As the OP is)

Its not the RAWK way.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #18 on: June 2, 2012, 10:43:32 am »

It means he has had a Total Lobotomy and Doesn't Read.

Interesting piece especially about the influence of Sousa who is conveniently whitewashed out of the equation at Swansea. As for the transfer budget has Rodgers been brought in to spend a big budget or has he been brought in to implement the same system he had at Swansea but with players at Liverpool who are better individuals.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 2, 2012, 10:44:17 am »
My only worry is would he be able to implement his kind of passing game to our group of players.

One thing I do notice is that fundamentally Rodgers` football philosophy is very very similar to the one of Rafa Benitez. High defensive line, controlling the game, pressing high up the pitch. At the same time we have Reina, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Lucas , Gerrard, Kuyt the players that excelled under Benitez in a system that was practically the same. I see no reason why should they have any problem adopting to Rodgers` system. That is reassuring as far as I am concerned.

When it comes to worries about performance in transfer market as long as we stay away from the calamitous buy british policy we should be ok.

Two players there will struggle now, well at last in my opinion; Kuyt and Gerrard, their legs just aren't what they were and for a system where you attack and defend so veraciously I think they'll struggle in their current positions.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #20 on: June 2, 2012, 10:45:53 am »

Ah okay, my apologies. Didn't know what it mean, which was why I asked.

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 2, 2012, 10:48:27 am »
In terms of him handling a transfer budget , who knows? time will tell, inevitably he will get a few right and a few wrong like all managers.
The thing that concerns me is that he has had no experience of winning.(and to a degree losing those big matches) Those big nights at anfield in the CL when you are in the semi knowing if you conceed you are out , nervy tactical games, how will he fare?
To be honest i will back him and he seems very assured for a man who has won fuck all. But we will see.
He mas my backing and he deserves the time to implement his idea properly, who knows it could turn out to be an astute signing.

In terms of transfer budget, this is why there will be a recruitment team to help him scout and decide which players are worth signing and which aren't. He obviously has a good eye so when he says I need an attacking midfielder, the scouting network will provide a list of certain midfielders that provide value for money, potential to grow you know the whole FSG Soccernomics package.

In regards to experience winning, everyone starts off somewhere. Not only that he was a coach at the time Chelsea were winning the Prem and getting to semi-finals of CL, so he was around to experience those nights at Chelsea, so I'm pretty sure he'll be ready for them. He will gain experience as we go along but he will have a support network of advisors to help him so he doesn't have any brain farts or mess up completely.
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline Torben Piechniks Y-Fronts

• Kopite
  • A Liverbird, upon my chest
« Reply #22 on: June 2, 2012, 10:50:42 am »
Very good OP. It is  how his signings perform which will ,more than any other factor, determine the level of success or otherwise that Brendan achieves. The best tactics and formations mean little if the player chargesd with implementing them are not of the required standard.

I agree as well that some managers find it easier to find a diamond in the rough than buying a qaulity player to take their team to the next level- that will be crucial with us as he will have a kitty he could only have dreamed of at Swansea.
It has been a long time since we had a summer of signing that end up as booming successes which is why I fully support the structure that FGS and Rogers are implementing to reduce the risk in transfer as much as  is possible. Thats all you can really do, reduce the risk, you cannot really eliminate it with any player bar Messi probably.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool."

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 2, 2012, 10:54:26 am »
Ah okay, my apologies. Didn't know what it mean, which was why I asked.

You've got a spelling mistake in your signature "myt"

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #24 on: June 2, 2012, 10:55:32 am »
Two players there will struggle now, well at last in my opinion; Kuyt and Gerrard, their legs just aren't what they were and for a system where you attack and defend so veraciously I think they'll struggle in their current positions.
I disagree a bit about Kuyt. I think he`s still fit as hell , but thats just me. He can still win balls for us in opponents half unlike Downing for example who hasnt won a single ball the whole season. His " closing down " of players is pathetic and is just acting like he is closing down but its just a half hearted acting but thats for another topic.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #25 on: June 2, 2012, 10:56:53 am »
You've got a spelling mistake in your signature "myt"

I'm Irish, I don't pronounce my H's, you should know that :P

Not really, I've just woke up :) Ta for letting me know :)

Offline lea7kewell

• Anny Roader
  • JFT 96
« Reply #26 on: June 2, 2012, 10:59:27 am »
How fucking rude are some people.

Good post.

Good post. I suppose only time will tell - I must say I like the way the man speaks aswell.
There are places I remember - All my life, though some have changed - Some forever, not for better - Some have gone and some remain ...

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 2, 2012, 11:00:25 am »
His work in the transfer market will be very interesting. It's telling he's confident enough to say he needs as many as 4 players but doesn't think he has much to spend. It seems targets are already in mind. The almost ludicrous disconnect between academy/reserve level and first team style will now be broken. Whether he is given the time or has the ability to implement his philosophy at a club the size of Liverpool, we're back to having a manager who's ideas on football I share and from a purely selfish point of view, I'm delighted about that. What we did last summer was buy promising British players without a single thought to how they fit the overall system, complete folly. Now it will be about buying players to fit the manager's system, not the other way round, the fact our excellent academy is already working to produce that same system is just the icing on the cake. I can't wait for our first pre-season. No expectations for next season other than evidence the philosophy is being adopted.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 2, 2012, 11:01:10 am »
Enjoyed that,thanks
bollocks

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 2, 2012, 11:01:49 am »
I'm Irish, I don't pronounce my H's, you should know that :P

Not really, I've just woke up :) Ta for letting me know :)

We'll if you were really gonna do the works on it, it should read more like this(dis)?

Please taaake a look at moi latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling de Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All udder blogs can be reeed at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your tots

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 2, 2012, 11:05:09 am »
What I think the OP addresses rather aptly is one of the criticisms that I keep hearing of Rodgers. That apparently all he did was carry on the work of Martinez, ride on his coat-tails as it were.
However, if Rodgers brought in 11 of the Premier League squad used, I don't really see how that's a fair criticism in the slightest since that's a pretty damned big overhaul of the squad.

He's clearly not afraid to change things up and shape the team in his image, which gives me a bit more hope for the future. It'll just take time.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #31 on: June 2, 2012, 11:07:22 am »
I think this is where the team of segura and the new person come in.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #32 on: June 2, 2012, 11:07:24 am »
It means he has had a Total Lobotomy and Doesn't Read.

Interesting piece especially about the influence of Sousa who is conveniently whitewashed out of the equation at Swansea. As for the transfer budget has Rodgers been brought in to spend a big budget or has he been brought in to implement the same system he had at Swansea but with players at Liverpool who are better individuals.
Was hoping it was a bit of both. Though his pass and move system is being over played imo, as in Kenny too played pass and move just the wheels fell off once we lost too Arsenal.

Good opening post bill.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 2, 2012, 11:11:39 am »
Good OP very interesting to see the numbers - not sure we can tell an awful lot about the players age's etc as he'll have been heavily constrained by budget and presumably had to 'make do'

The transfers do often make or break a manager - including when you dont actually sign anybody when you should - and its a fair shout but one that wasn't worrying me until now - so thanks for that :)

Must admit it was not my main concern that is far more about his ability to handle a big club, big players, the media scrutiny, being favourites etc - he has little to no experience of any of it. Likewise he has no experience of europe, of winning - all things that time in post will hopefully remedy but for me his biggest task is getting the mentality right - its one thing handling aspiring players in the championship and another the primadonna's who think they've made it - I guess that does spill over into the transfers because having hungry players is key to his style - players who wont think they can relax now they are on a big wage.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline GeneticRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #34 on: June 2, 2012, 11:12:11 am »
"My post has been amended by autocorrect. Please report me to the site admins for being ignorant". ; How will Brendan Rodgers handle a bigger transfer fund?

I don't think we can ever really know this until the end of summer (and midway through the season for that matter), however, I think this is the entire point of the "support network" that's being built. As long as the scouts do their job too, as well as everyone else involved with the transfer side of things, I wouldn't be too worried.
Ignore this. It was a very worthwhile post and has filled some important gaps in my own knowledge so i  personally am very grateful for the effort you put into it. Chrs.

Offline 5bigears

• Kemlynite
  • Eventus Stultorum Magister Est
« Reply #35 on: June 2, 2012, 11:23:37 am »

Yup.
I will admit to being underwhelmed when initially considering Brendan Rodgers to replace Kenny. That is until I read the excellent thread started by Callaghan about him. I began to take him very seriously then found myself being desperate for him to get the nod. I am now quietly confident we have a gem. The next while will tell whether it's polished or unpolished. And it will be VERY interesting to see how the transfer window plays out.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #36 on: June 2, 2012, 11:27:47 am »
Good post, decent read. I think it's also worth noting that whilst he didn't bring some of Swansea's major contributors to the club, it was Rodgers who got the best out of them. Ashley Williams has been the most striking example I'd say. Went from a run of the mill Championship defender to a sturdy Premier League centre half who Rodgers suggested could play for a bigger club. In the process, Swansea improved hugely defensively under Rodgers as well.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline fefs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 2, 2012, 11:28:39 am »
Nice OP.
The point you raise about managers making better buys when they spend less is an interesting one.

If he signed Leon Britton for free and then turned him into the best passer of the ball in world football ahead of Xavi halfway through last season (!) then I think he could work wonders with Adam, Shelvey and Henderson, and we might see some transfers that surprise us.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #38 on: June 2, 2012, 11:29:46 am »
My worry is we've gone from 18 managers since the war to 4 managers in two years. Admitedly Roy wasn't the owners choice and to a lesser extent neither was Kenny. So, have we turned into a sacking club or are the Americans simply putting in place the plans they wanted to 18 months ago?

What is their minimum requirement for this season?
4th place?
6th or higher?
65+ points or higher?
Simple progress on this season?

Questions I would very much like to know the answer on. High pressure, high impact possession football has taken Barca the better part of 7 years to perfect and that is with Inesta, Xavi and the best player on the planet.
It certainly isn't going to happen over night and as we saw when GH and to a lesser extent Rafa tried to open us up to a more expansive type of football we started to leak goals for fun. Are the fans prepared to be patient while we work through those teething problems, are the owners?

The project will take years, not months to perfect and my worry is if results aren't immediately forthcoming then Rodgers wont get those years to see the project through.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2012, 11:32:09 am by spider-neil »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #39 on: June 2, 2012, 11:40:15 am »
If he signed Leon Britton for free and then turned him into the best passer of the ball in world football ahead of Xavi halfway through last season (!)

£44k ;)

My worry is we've gone from 18 managers since the war to 4 managers in two years. Admitedly Roy wasn't the owners choice and to a lesser extent neither was Kenny. So, have we turned into a sacking club or are the Americans simply putting in place the plans they wanted to 18 months ago?

What is their minimum requirement for this season?
4th place?
6th or higher?
65+ points or higher?
Simple progress on this season?

Questions I would very much like to know the answer on. High pressure, high impact possession football has taken Barca the better part of 7 years to perfect and that is with Inesta, Xavi and the best player on the planet.
It certainly isn't going to happen over night and as we saw when GH and to a lesser extent Rafa tried to open us up to a more expansive type of football we started to leak goals for fun. Are the fans prepared to be patient while we work through those teething problems, are the owners?

The project will take years, not months to perfect and my worry is if results aren't immediately forthcoming then Rodgers wont get those years to see the project through.

Think that would be incredibly hypocritical after Werner's highlighting we'd only had 18 managers in our history (failed to mention three since they took over :P ) it would be seriously two-faced to claim that as a selling point of our club, something to be proud of and then turn into Chelsea or Real Madrid.