Author Topic: Anime Anyone?  (Read 79531 times)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
Re: Anime Anyone?
« Reply #360 on: August 19, 2015, 02:00:31 am »
I saw the first season of Knights of Sidonia last night (it was a quiet night).

It started off with very similar vibes to Evangelion - similar premise, similar characters and concepts, but then takes off in a fairly different direction. I quite enjoyed it, but I think I might skip the second season and beyond while I'm ahead and just read the manga, because the action is quite poorly choreographed. There are several key action scenes where I couldn't quite understand what had just seen.

It's good, though. Essentially just a classic seinen/shounen mecha manga (trying saying that 5 times fast!), with your standard tropes, but with the promise of some hard sci-fi/mystery beneath the surface. Whether it'll ever actually deliver on the promise, I'm not too sure. Popular longform manga have a way of lacking long-term planning (I'm pretty sure I've ranted about this at least once in this thread), so I dunno if it'll eventually develop satisfying payoffs for some of the sub-plots. But it has some reasonably challenging ideas for the genre and for the time being I'm enjoying it.

For example:

Spoiler
Although there's an element of the harem trope here, the main romance sub-plot seems to be between the main character and 'placenta' covered clone of his love interest, created by the monster that killed said love interest.
[close]

Probably the most interesting anime I've seen since The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. To be fair, I don't watch that many anime.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #361 on: August 29, 2015, 03:47:57 am »
I'd say the second season massively improves the quality of it's animation, in fact I'd say the cgi actually inhances the anime, the small details we see really help the anime.
I'd also never call it a typical shounen, it continues to surprise me in its Un - typical troupes!

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: September 2, 2015, 02:43:41 am »
I've been on a bit of a rom-com anime bend. I’m getting a surprising amount of enjoyment out of them, compared to from Western romantic comedies. There’s a certain innocence and complete lack of realism about them that for some reason, I find occasionally quite deeply touching. The lack general lack of nuance or more ‘grown-up’ themes, and heavy-handed repetition of quite ‘young adult’ emotional motifs are ridiculously appealing. It probably speaks volumes for my emotional maturity at 30.

It’s helpful that they’re generally quite funny. Pretty basic anime rom-com gags. But so far, they’ve not felt stale, but having been refreshing in their familiarity. I’m 10 episodes into my second 24-25 episode series now. Golden Time has its moments, but I’m not finding it as touching as Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo. Again, I can’t stress enough that there’s no special craft to it. I think they’re just competently exploring some themes with some stock standard, but well-drawn (is that a contradiction in terms?) and lovable characters.

Maybe it’s just a case of absence making the heart grow fonder. I’ve had enough years away from anime that it feels different to everything else I’m reading and watching, so I can’t see the formula and the cookie cutters as well. But then, I don’t remember ever quite enjoying anime of the genre quite as much when I was much younger and first exposed to the medium. It’s been quite an interesting renaissance in interest.

Has anyone else watched either of these? I’d be interested to hear whether others have had similar experiences, particularly with anime rom-coms.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: September 2, 2015, 04:15:52 am »
I've been on a bit of a rom-com anime bend. I’m getting a surprising amount of enjoyment out of them, compared to from Western romantic comedies. There’s a certain innocence and complete lack of realism about them that for some reason, I find occasionally quite deeply touching. The lack general lack of nuance or more ‘grown-up’ themes, and heavy-handed repetition of quite ‘young adult’ emotional motifs are ridiculously appealing. It probably speaks volumes for my emotional maturity at 30.

It’s helpful that they’re generally quite funny. Pretty basic anime rom-com gags. But so far, they’ve not felt stale, but having been refreshing in their familiarity. I’m 10 episodes into my second 24-25 episode series now. Golden Time has its moments, but I’m not finding it as touching as Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo. Again, I can’t stress enough that there’s no special craft to it. I think they’re just competently exploring some themes with some stock standard, but well-drawn (is that a contradiction in terms?) and lovable characters.

Maybe it’s just a case of absence making the heart grow fonder. I’ve had enough years away from anime that it feels different to everything else I’m reading and watching, so I can’t see the formula and the cookie cutters as well. But then, I don’t remember ever quite enjoying anime of the genre quite as much when I was much younger and first exposed to the medium. It’s been quite an interesting renaissance in interest.

Has anyone else watched either of these? I’d be interested to hear whether others have had similar experiences, particularly with anime rom-coms.
Sakurasou was a great show, definitely.

I used to watch that kind of genre more, but at least for me it grew a bit stale after watching lots of the same "developments" happen in all series

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: September 2, 2015, 06:02:03 am »
Sakurasou was a great show, definitely.

I used to watch that kind of genre more, but at least for me it grew a bit stale after watching lots of the same "developments" happen in all series

Yes, even watching this second series I'm starting to see some real similarities. There seems to be a lighter haired girl, who's new and exciting in the main character's life, and a darker haired girl, who's a bit more of a safe, sisterly figure who also is inexplicably in love with the main character. In the end, the main character chooses the lighter haired mgirl, and the darker haired girl remains remarkably good natured about it, despite having been completely emotionally traumatized by the whole ordeal.

I'm still enjoying it though. That's what's I'm finding so hard to explain.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #365 on: September 2, 2015, 10:37:18 am »
Ran out of anime to watch (apart from currently airing stuff that I like such as GATE, Fairy Tail and World Trigger) so having another run through Saint Seiya Omega.... really fucking love all the Saint Seiya animes, so good, the original characters are still the best though!

Offline SB-LFC

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #366 on: September 3, 2015, 11:10:59 pm »
Hi Guys,

This isn't really Anime related but it is animation and i didn't want to create a new thread for it but would appreciate it if you could watch my e4 Esting animation for an E4 competition. It's only 10 seconds long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xBvJGgeFI4

:D

Cheers.

Offline DominicQ

• Kopite
« Reply #367 on: September 5, 2015, 05:47:15 am »
Finished Cowboy Bebop. Fantastic. Unfortunately, had the ending spoiled for me like 100+ times over the years but still, fantastic.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: September 7, 2015, 07:44:36 am »
Finished Cowboy Bebop. Fantastic. Unfortunately, had the ending spoiled for me like 100+ times over the years but still, fantastic.

Thing is, those 4 plot episodes really just provide the emotional subtext for the rest of the episodes, rather than the other way around.

I've heard some people criticise the show for being too full of 'filler', which I think is nonsense. It's almost a sci-fi-action-slice of life show. The plot is not that important.

Continuing my anime romcom run, I've watched a couple of episodes of 'Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions' and it's been hilarious fun so far. I hope it maintains its level. The last couple of series I've watched have started promisingly but failed to execute the concept to the end. Golden Time and in particular, Kokoro Connect both had solid foundations with interesting premises and characters, but both fell apart. Mostly it was I think due to a complete lack of understanding of the mental/psychological conditions the characters were afflicted with. In particular, Kokoro Connect had some pretty contrived scenarios and just didn't understand/describe human emotions naturally.

Come to think of it 'Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions' also involves something similar in its premise. It's about a guy who had suffered from 'eighth grade syndryome' in middle school - or a kind of escapist fantasising/one-way roleplaying where a child (usually) pretends they're some sort of magical/fictional character, but has now moved on from the delusions at a new high school. Almost immediately he meet cutes a girl in his class who suffers from just those delusions. Hilarity ensues.

I'm a little bit more optimistic about it though, because I think it will be more about growing up/personal growth, which is a theme the Japanese do well.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: September 9, 2015, 12:54:49 am »
I'm 6 episodes into Your Lie in April. I think I pretty much guessed what will be coming (I guess probably at the end of the series) in the first episode, and I'm feeling a great deal of anticipatory sadness. Now I'm wondering if I should bother continuing with it, or just watch a youtube tribute video, process the feels and move on.

I suspect there will be tears though. Which I find annoying, because it's manipulative and I know what's coming. And yet I'm still subjecting myself to it.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2015, 12:57:35 am by Redcap »

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #370 on: November 9, 2015, 10:30:37 am »
really enjoying the Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans at the moment, think it's much better than recent Gundam offerings, love it!

Also another good one is called Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry (Chivalry of a Failed Knight) or Tale of Worst One... really good anime also, bit of a love side to it as well but the action and story is very cool!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #371 on: November 10, 2015, 01:00:56 pm »
Watched the live action movie of Assassination Classroom the other day and quite enjoyed it, has anyone seen the anime?  I'd never heard of it till I stumbled across it.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #372 on: February 29, 2016, 10:59:18 am »
One Punch Man was fucking brilliant.  Loved it.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #373 on: February 29, 2016, 08:31:31 pm »
I really enjoyed it too, its got some genuine laughs. I was disappointed with the final episode however, they spent the whole season subverting the shounen genre and just... had the most over the top Dragonball style fight ever which I didn't really feel engaged with. Maybe that was the point IDK.

I've been going through Knights of Sidonia and Gundam IBO lately. Finished s1 of Sidonia and of course things just get ridiculously fucked up once season 2 hits. It's a mecha show about a war with parasites, and how this affects the space colony that the characters live in. But its by a very sci-fi gothic author known for genre changes halfway through his products, so like I said things get very fucked up and crazy very quickly.

Gundam IBO has been fun but my god, the pacing, its so slow! It must surely be set for a second season that is yet unannounced.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #374 on: February 29, 2016, 08:40:09 pm »
Highly recommend the Seven Deadly Sins on Netflix.

Very good!

I've started watching Rurouni Kenshin again, still my favorite series.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: February 29, 2016, 08:49:09 pm »
Also on Netflix, Gunslinger Girl, which is way more grown up and emotionally complex than its title suggests.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #376 on: March 1, 2016, 10:13:09 am »
Also on Netflix, Gunslinger Girl, which is way more grown up and emotionally complex than its title suggests.

Are those the original episodes, or a remake? The original was damned good.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #377 on: March 1, 2016, 10:36:25 am »
Currently watching:

Hai to Gensō no Grimgar (Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash) - Really like this, it's a spin on the "real people end up in MMORPG world" with a more realistic view on it if you will, I really like it so far.

World Trigger - Still awesome, long running one now but enjoying it again now it's back to the Rank Battle, latest episode was interesting.

Gundam - Iron Blood Orphans - As written above, one of the best offerings of Gundam I have seen recently, much grittier, latest episode was great and a little bit sad, could see it coming from a mile off mind!

Prince of Stride - Sports anime normally does not interest me, much less running but this has caught my attention somehow, can't explain it but it's enjoyable.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: March 1, 2016, 07:28:00 pm »
Are those the original episodes, or a remake? The original was damned good.

The originals mate.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: March 2, 2016, 03:00:18 am »
Currently watching:
<snip>

Not watching Erased or Rakugo? They are both pretty damn good.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: March 2, 2016, 08:59:23 am »
Anyone watching Haikyuu? It's a brilliant volleyball anime.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: March 2, 2016, 03:18:24 pm »
Anyone watching Haikyuu? It's a brilliant volleyball anime.

The animation has been brilliant the last couple of episodes.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #382 on: March 2, 2016, 03:41:02 pm »
Not watching Erased or Rakugo? They are both pretty damn good.

Rakugo didn't tickle my fancy from the plot summary but I will give it a check now you've mentioned it.

ERASED actually slipped under my radar entirely, just read up on it, like the idea, will check it out for sure!!

Thank you for the recommendations

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #383 on: March 9, 2016, 05:12:17 pm »
Anyone know when we'll be getting a decent set of English subs for this....

The Boy and the Beast
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4272866/
When a young orphaned boy living on the streets of Shibuya stumbles upon a fantastic world of beasts, he's taken in by a gruff warrior beast looking for an apprentice.

There's one set out there so far, that I can find but they appear to have been made with Google translate or some other such shite. Really want to see this but there's no point if I can't make out what the characters are saying!

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: March 10, 2016, 04:06:19 am »

Not sure, but it shouldn't be long. The film's already come and gone in Australia. That tells me DVDs/Blurays shouldn't be far away.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: March 10, 2016, 06:39:22 am »
Not sure, but it shouldn't be long. The film's already come and gone in Australia. That tells me DVDs/Blurays shouldn't be far away.
Bonza, cheers Bruce! ;) 8) :wave

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #386 on: March 11, 2016, 10:51:52 am »
Don't watch a lot of an ime but tried one punch man and really enjoyed it. Are there any other short series similar to this?
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: March 11, 2016, 07:02:55 pm »
373 episodes into one piece. Too good

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: March 11, 2016, 08:13:46 pm »
Looking to get really in to anime. I'm not hugely in at all, just watched a few shows. I've seen Cowboy Bebop which is of course great. Samurai Champloo which again I feel was really good. Seen all of Jojo's bizarre adventure because I love the manga and feel it was great, especially how closely it followed the manga. Currently watching Kekkai Sensen on someone's suggestion and it's pretty fun, and Space Brothers which is a pretty good Slice of Life story, if a little slow. Thinking of going into erased as well, seems quite interesting.

Has anyone got any decent suggestions for anime to watch?

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: March 12, 2016, 02:59:21 am »
Looking to get really in to anime. I'm not hugely in at all, just watched a few shows. I've seen Cowboy Bebop which is of course great. Samurai Champloo which again I feel was really good. Seen all of Jojo's bizarre adventure because I love the manga and feel it was great, especially how closely it followed the manga. Currently watching Kekkai Sensen on someone's suggestion and it's pretty fun, and Space Brothers which is a pretty good Slice of Life story, if a little slow. Thinking of going into erased as well, seems quite interesting.

tengen toppa gurren lagann

Pretty mental show but very good, you'll probably know within an episode or two whether you'll like it and it's only one season.

Akira is mandatory viewing too.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: March 12, 2016, 07:10:37 am »
tengen toppa gurren lagann

Pretty mental show but very good, you'll probably know within an episode or two whether you'll like it and it's only one season.

Akira is mandatory viewing too.

I will add NGE to the above. Steins Gate is another one that I enjoyed a lot.

There are some brilliant Slice of Life stories, but recommending them is a bit harder. Everyone enjoys them in their own way.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: March 12, 2016, 07:17:19 am »
373 episodes into one piece. Too good

Man, I envy you. You are coming into the best 150 episode stretch in One Piece. I wish I could go back in time and relive watching them for the first time.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: March 12, 2016, 07:40:16 am »
The animation has been brilliant the last couple of episodes.
Yup, the soundtrack is fantastic as well. Karasuno better beat Seijoh now, can't lose again!!

Fate/Zero followed by Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
Steins;Gate
Hunter X Hunter if you're a shonen fan. It's one of the best animes I have ever seen, it's incredible.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Same as above.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #393 on: March 14, 2016, 01:56:23 am »
Ep 23 of Iron Blooded Orphans. This is getting pretty brutal now. I don't think I've ever seen someone in a show get so fucked up in a fight they died before they could even receive a final blow.

Surely this will go on for another season in 6+ months time? S1 being the rebellion and S2 being the war that always comes out of it.

Mecha shows especially tend to get ruined in second seasons due to sponsors wanting more toys, but this IS written by romantic drama writers, so thankfully its been consistent with its tone. Hopefully that carries on.

I've been going through Knights of Sidonia and Gundam IBO lately. Finished s1 of Sidonia and of course things just get ridiculously fucked up once season 2 hits. It's a mecha show about a war with parasites, and how this affects the space colony that the characters live in. But its by a very sci-fi gothic author known for genre changes halfway through his products, so like I said things get very fucked up and crazy very quickly.

I'm finished ep 9 of this show's second season with my gf and we can't fucking wait for it to end. Christ what have they done.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:58:34 am by OsirisMVZ »

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #394 on: March 14, 2016, 11:16:52 am »
Ep 23 of Iron Blooded Orphans. This is getting pretty brutal now. I don't think I've ever seen someone in a show get so fucked up in a fight they died before they could even receive a final blow.

Surely this will go on for another season in 6+ months time? S1 being the rebellion and S2 being the war that always comes out of it.

Mecha shows especially tend to get ruined in second seasons due to sponsors wanting more toys, but this IS written by romantic drama writers, so thankfully its been consistent with its tone. Hopefully that carries on.

I'm finished ep 9 of this show's second season with my gf and we can't fucking wait for it to end. Christ what have they done.

I am proper loving Iron Blooded Orphans, shows what I'd imagine a more realistic Gundam universe would be like, no pink explosions, proper space, mentions that they all stink because they live in tiny cockpits/ships, fear, ugly deaths, etc.... very good show so far, probs my fav Gundam since Wing

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #395 on: March 14, 2016, 11:40:44 am »
Anyone else with Netflix recommend the best series on there?  I've done Attack on Titan and couldn't really get into Space Dandy, tapped out after around 5 episodes.

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: April 1, 2016, 06:19:27 pm »
One Punch Man.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: April 1, 2016, 11:23:46 pm »
Anyone else with Netflix recommend the best series on there?  I've done Attack on Titan and couldn't really get into Space Dandy, tapped out after around 5 episodes.
Which region?

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: April 4, 2016, 08:06:46 am »
Crazy that in a slightly obscure anime movie, Bebop Cowboy, there should be a homage to Probe records!!

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #399 on: April 4, 2016, 10:32:22 am »
Spring anime seasons is upon us!!

Also apparently World Trigger has just ended? Just like that? Without any conclusion or are they gonna close it off, the TV station it airs on is closing the anime time slot for a sports time slot :( :(
« Last Edit: April 4, 2016, 10:40:53 am by PhilV »