Author Topic: No More Apathy - Time for a United Front ...  (Read 15551 times)

Offline Mark_P

• Stupid fucking little gosbite
  • Legacy Fan
No More Apathy - Time for a United Front ...
« on: June 3, 2008, 04:51:47 pm »
The month of June is a strange one for football fans. 

No fixtures for the Reds mean that feigning interest in an international tournament is needed to give fans a fix of games.  Every time Sky Sports use “Breaking News” you sit up with excitement awaiting the confirmation of the Lionel Messi deal your best mates’ Dad’s plumber told you about.  Every hit of the ‘refresh’ button on a website is an expectant one, every far off rumour, normally treated with contempt, is automatically fact.  Every city in the World goes into rumour mill overdrive.

Look at June 2007 alone.  Fernando Torres, Samuel Eto’o, Thierry Henry, Florent Malouda, Gabriel Milito – I could go on and on.  All names that were being banded about this time last year amongst the media and fans.  Thierry Henry was spotted at Melwood a million times.  Eto’o – secretly having a pint in the Sandon.  And, of course, Gabriel Heinz was completing the £70m spending spree, just as soon as he finished off his £2s worth of golf balls at Netherley Driving Range.

What about this year though?  What has happened to the June of wild speculation, of excitement at the flurry of internationals that were on their way to Anfield, normally an annual occurrence?  This year has not been about excitement.  It hasn’t even been about every conversation amongst Reds ending with “This will definitely be our year”.

“Sell before he can buy”, “Raise some funds” and “Fucking skint” have all become June 2008’s buzz phrases.

Because, at the moment, there is a bigger problem at Liverpool than the need for a new left back.  A bigger problem than the need for a right winger.  The apathy towards on the pitch matters stem from the fact that we cannot compete with the £60-70m Manchester United and Chelsea will spend.  The apathy comes from the fact that we know we’ve not only be lied to, but we bent over and let two liars use their spin so much we stumbled about in a daze. 

We all remember the ‘Snoogy Doogy’ spiel we received from one George Gillett.  So, what happened there?  People point to the £20m signing of Torres, and the £17m (including wages) signing of Javier Mascherano as evidence of the two Americans putting their hands in their pockets and backing up their promises.  The fact that loans paid for the majority of these fees, plus Rafa’s net spending only just amounting to more than the prize money he and his side received for reaching Athens, tells its own story. 

The signing of Bosman transfer Phillipe Degen has not been met with the usual “Okay, he’ll be a good squad player”, but as a sign of the times.  Of course, it’s unfair to slate Degen before he’s kicked a ball with a Liverpool shirt on, but a player who Dortmund deemed to be not good enough for a new deal isn’t a title winning change.  But, our expectations of our two owners and our beloved Chief Executive mean that the usual excitement has gone.  Accept mediocrity, because that’s what these are willing to bankroll appears to be the attitude.

It’s like two business partners taking over a pub.  They promise a revamp, a hugely expensive renovation, but fail to deliver.  The popular manager or manageress has his or her position undermined as they tried to get one of their mates in, only going back on that when the customers kicked up a fuss.  While every other pub around them is making huge changes and giving their pubs funds to make it better for customers, the two partners are loaning money against the pub, putting fuck all in themselves.

The result would be simple.  No customers.  But, Gillett and Hicks know this couldn’t happen at a football club.  They know it’s not a case of trying to make those who make them money happy, but they will have us filling grounds week in week out.  They have our fans queuing up at half twelve at night to get the latest piece of tat they churn out for forty quid.  They can piss us off all they want, but they know we’ll always go back, and with little dissent. 

But, they are also probably wise to the fact that, as Liverpool fans, any attempt to fight this situation we’re in will always see faceless fans hiding behind an internet pseudo name arguing about petty things.  Protest marches will be met with people asking “This again?”  While everyone wants them out, they still take tabloid agenda driven journalist’s views at face value, and let petty squabbles hinder views. 

We were great at being together and strong when the initial anger and frustration came to the fore in January.  Great at all giving our backing for Rafa before the Porto match.  But, has it really come to the point were Gillett and Hicks are being given an easy time because we’re all not too bothered anymore?  Has the apathy that seems to occur every time a Liverpool fans group has been set up – almost a “They don’t speak for fucking me” attitude that has accompanied every group – spread towards the Spirit of Shankly group?  A group that is there to look after the interests of fans?

While June should be time to look forward, this year there’s a difference.  Excitement has been replaced with a nasty American-style taste in my mouth.  It’s been like an election campaign at times, with apparent custodians of the club taking the roles of snidey, spin-driven politicians.  Hicks with his mug and his feigning of interest at a match.  Gillett’s attempts at singing YNWA.  The embarrassing Tom Hicks Jnr drinking in the Sandon debacle.  It seems that actually following the club and talking about on the field matters has taken a backseat – and all because of those we should be driving out.  Or this spin culture will continue at our club for years to come.

So, let’s put down any petty squabbles that rear their ugly head every time we get ourselves organised.  It’s not “Scouse vs Wools”, “Singer vs Non-Singers” “Fuck that they wear colours the match look shite”.  It involves all of us.  From the now famous “Dave from Dorset” to lads from L4. 

Let’s hit the ground running next season.  Tell your friends.  This is probably the most important season in the history of our club.  If the Yanks get an easy ride that will only get easier as time goes on.  If they’re still here by June 2009, it’s likely they’ve well and truly rode the storm. 

Let’s make sure the two cowboys are merely a blemish in our history book rather than those who run us to the ground to make themselves a few ‘bucks’ in profit and pay for Foster and Tom Jnr’s college fund.

We owe it to those who went before us and those who will follow. 
Just GO you Yank twats.

Offline kopitered2005

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: No More Apathy - Time for a United Front ...
« Reply #1 on: June 3, 2008, 04:55:50 pm »
i totally agree fella

thats  great read ...well done

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #2 on: June 3, 2008, 04:58:17 pm »
excellent post and sums it up totally.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Guaranga

• not happy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 3, 2008, 05:00:15 pm »
"It’s not “Scouse vs Wools”" 

Should be . :)

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #4 on: June 3, 2008, 05:01:47 pm »
Fuckin well said.
Justice for the 96.

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #5 on: June 3, 2008, 05:02:36 pm »
Splendid post,mate.

Apathy will kill OUR club,time to get active.
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline pi

• Main Stander
« Reply #6 on: June 3, 2008, 05:06:10 pm »
Good read mate

The last few words say it all

Offline Istanbul Therapy Group

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll hear our famous noise
« Reply #7 on: June 3, 2008, 05:09:23 pm »
Spot on mate.

But the main culprit in all this is Parry, no research at all done, after whoring himself & the club out for three years this is the best he can do. Words fail me about that c*nt.
He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.

Offline Walking Through A Storm

• Kopite
  • Forward the Rafalution!
« Reply #8 on: June 3, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »
Great post.

Offline PaislyShankley

• Stranger in a strange land; vaguely Amish.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Homophobic, apparently. Probably racist as well.
« Reply #9 on: June 3, 2008, 05:10:20 pm »
Let’s make sure the two cowboys are merely a blemish in our history book rather than those who run us to the ground to make themselves a few ‘bucks’ in profit and pay for Foster and Tom Jnr’s college fund.

I take it you no longer work for the club, Mark? Or am I confussed?
M'eh

Offline Mark_P

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 3, 2008, 05:10:50 pm »
I take it you no longer work for the club, Mark? Or am I confussed?
Very much so!
Just GO you Yank twats.

Offline OOT'erConnie

• ...but I'm alright Jack...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 3, 2008, 05:11:38 pm »
Quality post. Totally agree.

Stand up and be counted.

Offline PaislyShankley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 3, 2008, 05:12:20 pm »
Which? I'm very much confused or you very much still work for the club but can't post this sort of thing on tv towers?
M'eh

Online KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #13 on: June 3, 2008, 05:37:42 pm »
how exactly?

how do we hit the ground running?
how do we give em a ruff ride?
how do we get them out the club by 2009?

and how will the next lot that takeover be any different?

and will 'our' reaction be any different?

Offline Met

• rosexual?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 3, 2008, 05:47:18 pm »
Quality post.
Albert Riera yansanyusiza nyo, Mascherano muzanyi wamanyi ate Dirk Kuyt sirina Bigambo! Rafa Abeewo ! YWNWA

It's like watching the Dalai Lama snap and headbutt someone.

Offline wednesday25052005

• Kopite
  • JFT96
« Reply #15 on: June 3, 2008, 05:52:06 pm »
Boss read that - totally agree.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 3, 2008, 06:15:53 pm »
Good post. A lot of us would love to do something. I'm fed up of hearing apathy on this site, or people more concerned about bashing Gerrard or slagging off Rafa's choice of Barry, than what really matters. Or sniping at posters like Harry L for actually caring about the petition. I'm reading of the money even bloody Man City is splashing this summer. And we're selling Xabi because we can't afford to strengthen without weakening first.

Offline bobapcoed

• Main Stander
« Reply #17 on: June 3, 2008, 06:25:31 pm »
how exactly?

We are in this situation forever now, and there are no guarantees  (even DIC) will be any better. I agree it's got to be sorted and the only difference "at the time" was that DIC were up front about putting the debt on the club, whereas the Yanks said they wouldn't and then did, and soft-arse Parry fell for it. But if it isn't sorted, and we don't get the transfer funds, we won't need a bigger ground.

Offline James B

• anned.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team o' Caraghers!
« Reply #18 on: June 3, 2008, 06:36:50 pm »
how exactly?

Offline kevmck

• Kopite
« Reply #19 on: June 3, 2008, 06:38:08 pm »
good read.. but not sure what exactly we can do that hasn't already been suggested.
sick and tired of them, and more importantly, what they're doing to our image.. :\

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #20 on: June 3, 2008, 06:39:31 pm »
I'd like to be apathetic... but I can't be arsed.

Good post though.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 3, 2008, 06:46:45 pm »
Good luck lad. But don't hold your breath.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline reddav72

• Anny Roader
« Reply #22 on: June 3, 2008, 07:00:54 pm »
what do we do then? protests are great but twit and twat arnt arsed about that, not buying shirts wont hurt them, season tickets have gone up again,cant see us gettin much of a transfer budjet. we need everyone going to a game to protest but it dosnt happen, we could stay out for 5 minutes before the game, kick off a game with the stadium empty? we need to make a massive protest, does anyone know of anything that could be done?
part of the noise!!
i was once told 'why dont you go out and meet somebody' i said 'i dont want to meet somebody. I want to meet everybody'!!

Offline arisesirrafa

• Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: June 3, 2008, 07:08:26 pm »
Really good post....the kind of passion, insight and reasoned argument that not enough people on this forum appear to have.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

Offline Joshytoohotty

• Potty Mouth
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 3, 2008, 07:17:11 pm »
It's 3 days into June.

I agree our owners are dick heads but to try and use this summer as an example of that is bollocks.

On the flip side I could argue that a well trusted and respected member of our forums has mentioned that we've made a bid for David Villa. I understand the point you're making and agree with a lot of it, but in fairness I think a year ago to the day the conversation was very much still dwelling on the aftermath of Athens, both on, and off the field. No clubs have really become active in the transfer market as yet so I don't think now is the time to be judging anything.
They only drink water and bottles of coke, the Everton boys are a joke...

Offline merseypride

• Has given up luncheon meat. Believes himself to be the reincarnation of Nostradamus
  • Kopite
  • Liverpool Football Club.....The Only way is UP!
    • Exclusive Contests
« Reply #25 on: June 3, 2008, 07:22:36 pm »
Very Very Realistic post...one of the few long posts, that kept me nodding my head in acknowledgement!! 
Liverpool FC .... Things can only get Better!!

Offline Rafa's Red's

• Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: June 3, 2008, 08:30:45 pm »
Were all frustrated the way things are right now at our club and what’s making it more painful is that Parry remains here, content to do nothing about the future of Liverpool. He’s happy to let them two fuck everything up, the right thing to do in resigning would be the only thing left for him to do yet he continues to play a role at the club like a trusted custodian. This c*nt, who has been embarrassed by one of his ‘bosses’ doesn’t know the meaning of dignity.

The point is, were in a position now that see’s us selling Alonso, a player that’s divided us as fan’s up, but necessary now to free up funds to strengthen other areas of the team. We agree as a set of fans that Parry is to blame for this and that can be seen and heard by everyone on this forum, he should be the one accountable for what’s happening at our club now. Were slowly becoming a club sinking in terms of our status as a top Premier League side the longer these two and Parry continue to milk the club dry. The Alonso deal represents the reality of Hicks and Gillett at the club.

Your right about the pseudo names on forums like this, arguing and having no real impact on what happens to our club and who runs us. Unfortunately that’s the way football has become and unfortunately we are just another football club. Sorry to sound defeatist but what are we going to do, we can’t forcibly remove them, the other option would be to boycott the matches as has been said but what is the likelihood of that happening? If I was offered a season ticket there’s no way I’d refuse to go.

Offline k4bir

• Main Stander
« Reply #27 on: June 3, 2008, 09:39:08 pm »
this line says it all L.F.C
though i am amazed and dishearted at how easy of a ride the 2 cowboys are having,as for moores all the hard work put in by people who went before us has been pissed up

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #28 on: June 4, 2008, 12:06:40 am »
"We owe it to those who went before us and those who will follow".

So few words to sum up a horrid hell of a mess.

If those of you who aren't arsed about the ownership of our club are not shaken by those words,then you bloody well ought to be!
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline Mark_P

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 4, 2008, 12:47:30 am »
It's 3 days into June.

I agree our owners are dick heads but to try and use this summer as an example of that is bollocks.

On the flip side I could argue that a well trusted and respected member of our forums has mentioned that we've made a bid for David Villa. I understand the point you're making and agree with a lot of it, but in fairness I think a year ago to the day the conversation was very much still dwelling on the aftermath of Athens, both on, and off the field. No clubs have really become active in the transfer market as yet so I don't think now is the time to be judging anything.
I totally agree that the transfer dealings can't be judged in early June - it's just the attitude amongst us seems to be one not of optimism about new buys but fearing the worst, a mindset we've had to adjust to since the two took over. 

The signings may be great - but the lack of any real excitement from people I've spoke to - even lack of wild rumours - I think typifies that we know there's no chance these two will do the necessary to get us were we want to be.

As for what now ...

I agree, and I don't know.  But unless we're all working to find any way to get the two out, without bickering or "Fuck them, they don't speak for me" attitudes, we will not get rid.  I've been looking at things on the internet about owners or chairman that have been ousted from sport, and unfortuantely the only thing I could find that got rid of the moneymen was one.

I think you can guess what that is - a big fucking profit.
Just GO you Yank twats.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #30 on: June 4, 2008, 03:50:05 am »
I can understand the original post with the most important point being that the Americans do not deliver what they've promised and we've found ourselves in a sorry state (We have to sell before we can buy). I am always looking forward every morning and evening to see who else will come and whether there will be any changes in our club and so far I've been disappointed.

But one thing still makes me hang on. Rafa is still here.
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 4, 2008, 07:42:10 am »
I think the first thing to do is to boycott any preseason friendlies we have. It won't affect the team but it'll make it easier to consider more action later on.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 4, 2008, 08:48:06 am »
I'm going to Spain for the Villareal game. Before anyone slags me off, I've done me bit regards getting shut of twit and twat. In fact, I've been slagged off constantly by the naysayers for doing the little I can and trying to get others involved. I have now started to lose all hope of anyone doing anything that will actually help to get shut. But I won't stop going to the few games I can get to of a season. I don't get to see as many as I'd like as it is. So, I'm fucked if I'm missing the 10 to 15 I actually do get to go to for that pair of c*nts. And, that's just one of the problems your'e up against when trying to boycott actual games.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 4, 2008, 08:51:36 am »
More banners are needed they think everything in the garden is rosy now, well its far from it.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 4, 2008, 09:12:41 am »
Fat Scouser, you may have got grief from naysayers but you're a legend to some of us. You did amazing work on emailing etc. And I agree with your sentiments in your post. I'll get to just a handful of games next year but I take some comfort that the away matches mean I won't put too much money in Twit and Twat's pockets.

Offline PaislyShankley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 4, 2008, 09:31:21 am »
This is all very well but is Mark P a former or present admin type person at tv towers?
M'eh

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #36 on: June 4, 2008, 10:19:34 am »
No, you're thinking of someone else, Dave.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #37 on: June 4, 2008, 10:28:37 am »
great post,  what can be done,
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #38 on: June 4, 2008, 10:47:56 am »
Well in Mr P. 100% agree.

Offline PaislyShankley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 4, 2008, 10:52:12 am »
Thank you, Mr Face, very kind.
M'eh