Author Topic: LFC books  (Read 23558 times)

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
LFC books
« on: March 12, 2005, 04:28:06 pm »
Any recommendations?
More particularly, I'm concentrating on the Shankly era and much more recent times.

I've read 'Into The Red' by John Williams (mate's copy) and have just bought Tom Darby's Shanks book 'Talking Shankly'. Any other recommended reads for the coming months?
Your advice is appreciated....

Offline campioni1984

• Fancies Paul Ince
  • Legacy Fan
  • 15 April 1989 YNWA
Re: LFC books
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 05:12:36 pm »
Theres a new book out about Billy Liddell looks good,I`m going to get it tomorrow. Just finished Alan Kennedys thats good.Just starting The Boys From The Mersey looks quite interesting!
Not LFC,but Niall Quinns autobiography is very good,quite different from other footballers books.Very honest and he hasn`t got his head up his arse,one of the best footie books I`ve read.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 05:14:40 pm by campioni1984 »
THE REDS ARE COMING UP THE HILL BOYS

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 05:21:30 pm »
I've read his biography by John Keith can't remember the exact name but its well worth reading.

Offline Jamie_G

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Internet Terrorist
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 06:13:31 pm »
Have you read 'Bill Shankly - It's Mich More Important Than That' by Stephen F. Kelly?

It starts when Shankly is at Huddersfield and goes through his entire career with Liverpool. I read it and enjoyed it.

Btw the on site spell checker does not recognize ' Shankly'  :o
Bill Shankly to Ian St John - 'If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just pop it in the net and we'll discuss your options afterwards.'

Morpheus: Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?

Offline Shaun M

• Kemlynite
  • The 1 that started it all!!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 07:15:27 pm »
THE BEST LFC BOOK IV READ HAS TO BE "THE LIVERPOOL BOYS ARE IN TOWN" BY DAVE HEWITSON, I GOT IT AT HJC AND I SEEN IT IN HMV

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 07:21:11 pm »
Have you read Evo's books?

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 07:22:32 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, all- keep them coming  :)

Bannside- no, not read Evo's books yet, though heard a lot about them, obviously.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 07:26:11 pm »
Have you read 'Bill Shankly - It's Mich More Important Than That' by Stephen F. Kelly?

It starts when Shankly is at Huddersfield and goes through his entire career with Liverpool. I read it and enjoyed it.

Yup, I thought that was a fantastic book.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 07:27:42 pm »
I don’t ready any Liverpool books - they bore me, how odd is that?

I do read, in fact I read a lot - crime and thrillers are my kinda books......

Of course I make exceptions for one or two particular Liverpool FC authors....   ;)
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Scouser_Phil

• no worries
  • Kopite
  • 2005 Champions League Winners.
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 07:29:15 pm »
Hello Hooded Claw,

Hope you are OK heard you was having a bit of trouble.

I'd like a book with every game Liverpool have played since they were established, who scored, attendances etc.

You could do it season by season and also show the league tables and top scorers etc.

I was thinking of compiling all the statistics in a spreadsheet myself to be honest but if you want to do it that would be great :D

What do you think?
"If you can't make decisions in life, you're a bloody menace. You'd be better becoming an MP!" Bill Shankly.

"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser!" Stu Ungar.

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 07:31:39 pm »
"When you walk through the storm" - Ann Williams, is a must read for any Red.

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2005, 07:32:36 pm »
Evo's books are excellant,and very funny.
Boys from the Mersey is ok,worth a read.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2005, 07:34:46 pm »
Hi Phil  :wave - a book like that would be an invaluable resource, well worth having. At the moment I've got my hands pretty much full with 'Golden Past, Red Future', so I'm looking for something about LFC to read in the odd spare moment we 're not getting the project together- but if you do go ahead with your idea, let us know!
And appreciate the message, mate. Things are a bit better, but it's an ongoing situation I'll get right in the end.  :wave

Offline Tezza

• Main Stander
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2005, 07:34:52 pm »
Scouser Phil there was one of these done before  from 1892 -1988 anyways can't remember the author but it had all the stats from every year up to 1988, i think the title was something like a complete History of Liverpool Fc, i'm sure that there must be an updated version,

also other books that are quite good are the Shankly book previously mentioned all of Evo's books The Billy Liddell Biography is great and an interesting read, the Roy Evans Biography Ghost on the wall isn't too bad either.

Offline Skeever

• Main Stander
    • LFCHistory.net
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 01:30:26 am »
Tezza, you are a talking about the Complete Record by Brian Pead, it's been released 2-3 times with the latest version being all from 1892 - 1990. There are although numerous errors in it. The newest stats book with season by season apps & goal stats is however a book called "The Essential History of Liverpool FC" by Alex Murphy & Eric Doig.

For those who want to see the full lineups for every offical match + more, look no further than http://www.lfchistory.net. It's all there. We've worked with Eric Doig to make it has perfect as possible and at the moment it's perhaps the most complete source available on the internet.
www.lfchistory.net - Results & Lineups for every official liverpool match (4900+) and player profiles for every player that have played a official match for Liverpool FC (600+).

Offline igorscherrynose

• Main Stander
  • Back Rafa! - Liverpool is for life
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2005, 07:56:54 am »
boys from the mersey is not bad, some of it is bullshit though. Like most of these books they need a little drama to sell
Our future belongs to those who believe in the dream - Liverpool FC is for life. Scouse not english!!

Offline jean paul

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2005, 08:23:27 am »
Evo's books are great, probably made even better to me knowing the author a bit.

Darby's 'Talking Shankly' is another good read.
Talking about Shankly, I've got 'The Shankly Years' by Steve Hale and Phil Thompson which is also another good read.

Talking about managers, John Keith's 'Manager of the Millenium' is of course another good read.

I am not too keen on biographies any more now, however the John Barnes one and Dalglish's are top notch.

Then there is Kevin Sampson who's got 'Extra Time' which is on the 1997/98 season.  A lads book like really.

An author I really like is John Williams, I hold both his 'Into The Red' which's on the treble season and 'The Liverpool Way' which tells the story of a rather less succesful season: 2002-03.

One last one is Phil Scraton's 'Hillsborough:The Truth'.

Offline Peter_Evo

• King of the Vegetables (though not salads).
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the Sun. Sullies the memories of the 96
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2005, 08:37:52 am »
Could I very politely and modestly recommend my books ONE BOY AND HIS KOP, MY YOUTH MY KOP and MIDDLE OF THE KOP. Full order details avaiable by emailing me at peterevo75@hotmail.com.

Thankyou.
96 Liverpool fans lost their lives at Hillsborough. Thousands more were deeply affected. The Sun said Liverpool fans robbed their own dead and urinated on policemen and other fans doing their best to save them. The Sun said Liverpool fans were to blame for causing the crush by turning up ticketless and drunk. The Sun told lies. DON'T BUY THE SUN!

Offline Peter_Evo

• King of the Vegetables (though not salads).
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the Sun. Sullies the memories of the 96
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2005, 08:46:23 am »
Surprised nobody's mentioned so far, though it could be because it's now six or seven years old, Alan Edge's Faith Of Our Fathers. What a brilliant book that is.  While I'm quite proud of my books, what I've achieved with them and how well they've sold, Alan's knocks all of mine into a cocked hat.  Mine, whilst a good read, would never win any literary prizes.  Alan's most definitely deserves to.  Buy it. You won't regret it.
96 Liverpool fans lost their lives at Hillsborough. Thousands more were deeply affected. The Sun said Liverpool fans robbed their own dead and urinated on policemen and other fans doing their best to save them. The Sun said Liverpool fans were to blame for causing the crush by turning up ticketless and drunk. The Sun told lies. DON'T BUY THE SUN!

Offline RedMerseyMan

• Kopite
  • Stay Alive
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2005, 08:50:36 am »
Really enjoyed Evo's first two books and plan to read the third soon.
Also 'Faith of our Fathers Football as a Reliigion' by Alan Edge.

Just read Shanks authorised biography by Dave Bowler.

Its one of the main reasons I work nights,get plenty of time to read peacefully. ;D
Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.

Offline RedMerseyMan

• Kopite
  • Stay Alive
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2005, 08:53:20 am »
Just in off nights Peter and typing slowly,great minds think alike!
Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2005, 09:51:14 am »
Good call - Faith In Our Fathers, by the master, Alan Edge.

Pheeny

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2005, 10:01:16 am »
Surprised nobody's mentioned so far, though it could be because it's now six or seven years old, Alan Edge's Faith Of Our Fathers. What a brilliant book that is.  While I'm quite proud of my books, what I've achieved with them and how well they've sold, Alan's knocks all of mine into a cocked hat.  Mine, whilst a good read, would never win any literary prizes.  Alan's most definitely deserves to.  Buy it. You won't regret it.
I'm reading that at the moment excellent so far.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2005, 02:23:42 pm »
So am I, only started reading it yesterday impressed with what I have read so far.
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2005, 02:29:05 pm »
I am currently reading Stephen F Kelly's Paisley Manager of the Millenium. And have got Ghost on the wall, Al Kennedy's book and Dalglish by Stephen f Kelly and also when you walk through a storm by Anne Williams to get through aswell  :D
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2005, 02:29:49 pm »
Some cracking suggestions here. Thanks all. Why do I get the feeling my credit card will be taking a hammering?

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #26 on: September 7, 2005, 09:52:39 pm »
Has anyone read the latest autobiographies?

Fowlers, Owen's, even Becks' ... I know Keane's was apparently really good, how bout the others?
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #27 on: September 7, 2005, 10:06:51 pm »
I must be one of the only people who didn't like Faith of our fathers, just couldn't get into it at all.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 7, 2005, 10:40:11 pm »
I must be one of the only people who didn't like Faith of our fathers, just couldn't get into it at all.

probably my favourite along with Peter's :D
for those of you watching in black and white Liverpool are the team with the ball

Offline Jon G

• I'm Jim Rockford, at the tone leave your name and number and I'll get back to ya. PM Jon Hall if you can read this...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 78 stone wobble
    • not mine
« Reply #29 on: September 7, 2005, 10:42:37 pm »

Faith of our fathers is a top read. If you're too tight and want to borrow it give us a shout Mr Claw.
NOTHING GREAT HAS EVER BEEN ACHIEVED WITHOUT PASSION - CARRAGHER 23

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #30 on: September 7, 2005, 11:00:57 pm »
Faith of our fathers is a top read. If you're too tight and want to borrow it give us a shout Mr Claw.

Ta Jon. When I've got some reading time in the next few weeks I'll drop you a PM  :wave

Offline Jon G

• I'm Jim Rockford, at the tone leave your name and number and I'll get back to ya. PM Jon Hall if you can read this...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 78 stone wobble
    • not mine
« Reply #31 on: September 7, 2005, 11:04:23 pm »
Ta Jon. When I've got some reading time in the next few weeks I'll drop you a PM  :wave

No probs
NOTHING GREAT HAS EVER BEEN ACHIEVED WITHOUT PASSION - CARRAGHER 23

Offline chipbuttie

• Kopite
  • 5 times....... 'tis true
« Reply #32 on: September 7, 2005, 11:05:32 pm »

One more dissenter here. It took me over two months to fight my way thru it. I kept re-reading chapters wondering if I'd missed something. Though it did get better toward the end, some of the writing is cringeworthy. I particularly disliked the countless passages in which John tells us how special the club and the fans are, instead of illustrating precisely why we are special. And I really don't need convincing.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #33 on: September 8, 2005, 01:01:57 am »
One more dissenter here. It took me over two months to fight my way thru it. I kept re-reading chapters wondering if I'd missed something. Though it did get better toward the end, some of the writing is cringeworthy. I particularly disliked the countless passages in which John tells us how special the club and the fans are, instead of illustrating precisely why we are special. And I really don't need convincing.

I daresay anyone writing a book has to expect criticism as well as plaudits. But am I alone in thinking that when ordinary fans such as Alan Edge, Pete Evo and Paul Tomkins put so much effort into actually writing their tomes and then getting them published, they could perhaps be afforded a touch more graciousness and a little less churlishness from fellow Reds than the likes of Chipbuttie seem prepared to offer.

Budding John Steinbecks these fan authors may not be but whatever their motivation between them, just like the fanzines and websites such as this one, they've actually got off their backsides and made a pretty decent contribution to enriching our particular fan culture.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 8, 2005, 10:54:12 am »
Secret of Shankly Gates is a good un
Iam a Liverpudlian from the Spion Kop
Faith of our Fathers

Offline steer

• Grampa
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 8, 2005, 11:40:57 am »
I've read his biography by John Keith can't remember the exact name but its well worth reading.

Yep i read that on holiday and it was superb...stories that will just crack you up about shankly...

Offline Absolut Rojo

• Main Stander
« Reply #36 on: September 8, 2005, 12:03:26 pm »

for oots like meself who don't just love the club, but scouse culture as a whole, 'the rough guide to liverpool' is the bee's knees.

Offline sheff-jim

• Legacy Fan
  • Schizophrenic?! I'm bleeding Quadrophenic
« Reply #37 on: September 8, 2005, 12:06:12 pm »
Another couple of non-LFC suggestions - Tony Cascarino's autobiog called "Full TIme" I think. and Tony Adams autobiog. Both are really candid and honest.

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #38 on: September 8, 2005, 12:06:40 pm »
You can find some unbiased (ahem!) recommended listings on Amazon:

Cocked up somehow, sorry about that. But you know where Amazon is anyway, dontcha?

:boxhead
« Last Edit: September 8, 2005, 12:14:06 pm by redchiz »
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline Absolut Rojo

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: September 8, 2005, 12:12:44 pm »

whilst not exclusively devoted to matters lfc, the 'football confidential' series contains a number of references to the club when tackling the dilemmas & contradictions of modern football.  loads of disturbing stuff in it, pretty gripping.