Author Topic: #Gerrard8: He Wasn't Even That Good Anyway  (Read 8924 times)

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
#Gerrard8: He Wasn't Even That Good Anyway
« on: May 17, 2015, 06:33:56 pm »
Steven Gerrard – He Wasn’t Even That Good Anyway

Steven Gerrard made his debut on the 29th of  November, 1998. You could tell at the time that he wasn’t going to be that good. By then Michael Owen was already banging the goals in for England, and there was only a few months between them in age. So even at that early stage, he'd have to just get on with it and thank his lucky stars that he'd somehow been picked for Liverpool's first team.

He didn’t have enough discipline to play centre mid, really. Always fucking bombing from box to box. Like a headless chicken. Scoring one end, then making a crunching tackle on the edge of our box the next. Completely lacked the ability to just sit and hold. He'll never be Roy Keane or Patrick Vieira, they used to say. Lucky for Steven, he had the chance to play a few other positions too, so after a while, people stopped noticing that he just wasn't very good at being a holding player.

Rash in the tackle too, wasn’t he? Remember that one on Naismith? Yeah, he was only a kid, but he should have known better.

Didn’t have the positional ability to play in defence. Not clever enough. Too greedy. He fucking bossed AC Milan from right back, but that’s hardly the point, is it? He wouldn’t have played there any other time. Had an ego. Everyone said it. Thought he was the man. Said as much at one point. I'll get back to that later.

Got made Captain at age 23. The lucky bastard! Captaining your hometown club at the age of 23. Problem is, he just wasn't vocal enough as a captain, was he? Couldn't hear him on the pitch. It's one thing to "lead by example" and be the only shining light in a sea of shite at times, but for the love of god, can't you give your players a bollocking every now and then? Our lot were scared of Souness. Could never say the same about Gerrard. People talk about humility and quality and understanding what it means to pull on that red shirt, but we all know your ability as a captain comes from your ability to shout louder than anyone else.

Anyway. We let him carry on as captain, what with him being a local lad and all. Played on the right for a season or two after that. Kept drifting in. GET TO THE FUCKING LINE, STEVEN. GET A CROSS IN. YOU’RE A FUCKING WINGER, LAD. Fair play, it was Rafa who stuck him out there to rot, but fucking hell, get the ball in the box. We’re in England, not Spain. None of this continental shit. He might have scored 23 goals in a season from the right, but a winger should be providing assists, not scoring the goals himself. Selfish.

And don’t get me started about losing his fucking head. Sent off after 10 minutes in the derby, wasn’t he? Yeah, he might have scored the odd important goal, when no other fucker would step up to the plate, but he was always getting sent off. Big games. Discipline is what you need, not passion. He never understood that.

Then he almost went and fucking left. The ungrateful twat. After all we’d done for him! Put up with him being shit all over the shop. Local lad comes in, we give him a chance, let him play for us, let him captain us, let him single-handedly drag us to the greatest nights of recent memory. And he almost left! Felt unwanted, he reckoned. As if! If you think you're too good for us lad, off you go to Chelsea. Apparently he only stayed in the end because someone sent the lads 'round. Typical.

So we gave him another chance. Selfless and forgiving as we are. Let him play as some new fangled attacking midfielder thing. The greedy bastard would shoot at every opportunity. Unless he had Torres there, when he’d find him almost telepathically, and we’d score. Stevie barely deserved it, and I think if we're being honest, it was mostly down to Torres anyway. But blood is thicker than water and all that, and he might not have been very good, but by this point he was sort-of like your younger cousin Deano who is forever fucking stuff up, but he's family, so you help him out anyway.

Fair play to Steven though, he did score some absolute SCREAMERS. Problem was he could never get his celebrations right. "I'm the fucking man"... Cringe. YOU'RE LIVERPOOL'S MAN, AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT, KID. The state on him! If that's his attitude he can do one! And remember that time he bit the badge? Didn't even kiss it. Bit it! I remember it well. Total disrespect for the liverbird. No-one could believe it.

Did you ever see him play on the left for England? Awful. Time after time. Imagine that getting over a hundred caps? Shocking. Captained England and all, somehow. Madness when you think that he didn't scream at his players enough, like John Terry or someone. From a Liverpool perspective, he sacrificed himself for his shitty country, with shitty players. Could have tried focusing on the Reds, couldn’t he? Never had his priorities straight, that one.

We won a few cups here and there. Played quite well on occasion, too. Mostly due to other players, but we had some success nonetheless. Then it all went rapidly downhill with those two fucking cowboys, Hicks and Gillett. They tried to bleed us dry. We could have expected a local lad to speak up for the club - his employer - and to kick up a fuss, but he never did. We were fuming with him. He reckoned he didn't believe in washing the club's dirty laundry in public or something like that, but we all knew he just didn't care. Players picking up their paycheques never do, do they? They're not like us. Nope. You'd never see Steven Gerrard in the away end, cheering on the team. You'd never see him putting the club before himself.

Eventually we got rid of the leeches. It was a new era. The Roy Hodgson Era. Apparently Gerrard was the one who hired him. Wanted an English manager instead of one of those European types. Unfortunately, it turns out that owls don't make very good football managers, and it all went to shit pretty quickly. Where's "the fucking man" now, Steven? Anyway. Eventually he single-handedly made Roy Hodgson’s reign untenable. Missed a penalty. Blazed it. After all The Good Man™ had done for him, as well. Got him the sack. It was probably for the best in the end, but don't let that absolve Gerrard of any blame. We knew what his game was.

More recently he's just not been that good because he's too old. His legs had gone by the start of last season. Got more assists than anyone in the league, but it was all down to Suarez, really. That and corners. If he wasn't on set pieces, it would have been obvious he wasn't up to it. And you know what, even when he was on set pieces, he wasn't that good. Should have been in the box instead. This year he's our top scorer, but it's only because everyone else is crap. Same old story. Fans know best.

Eventually the record books will show that made 710 appearances and scored 186 goals for the Reds. He's our fifth highest goalscorer, which is remarkable for someone who was such a crap striker. He's played for the Reds more times than anyone other than Carra and Cally. History will show that he captained Liverpool FC more times than anyone else, EVER.

But what history will never tell you, is that he was fucking shite in goal.

Steven Gerrard? He wasn’t even that good anyway.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:04:16 am by Rhi »
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: #Gerrard8: He Wasn't Even That Good Anyway
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 07:23:21 pm »
Haha when did walshy's mullet get access to this forum?

A nice alternative to all our gushing!

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 07:34:49 am »
Gave me a wry chuckle. & let's not forget he's been a 'tombstone' round the neck of Rodgers, according to the main forum discussion of the day.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 01:04:12 pm »
If there was a way of making everybody on here read the OP then it should be done.

Fucking brilliant, is a phrase I'd use.
 :)
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline GregCharrua

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 01:16:14 pm »
Absolutely wonderful OP, really satirized the main forum just perfectly. Kudos, sir!

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 01:20:40 pm »
Great read. Loved this :D :D

"But what history will never tell you, is that he was fucking shite in goal."
What we achieve in life, echoes in eternity

Offline andy84

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We're on the march with Jurgen's army
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 01:22:40 pm »
Cracking post. Great work!

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 01:22:53 pm »
I particularly enjoyed the throwaway 'The Good Man™' - particularly after yesterday.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 01:24:23 pm »
Great that, Rhi.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline jymbojetset

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 01:33:23 pm »
Good read Rhi.

All this cr@p going round about some youngster we've got, we should be celebrating (and maybe shed a little tear or two) about one of our greatest players.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 02:46:10 pm »
Absolutely spot on Rhi.  Needed saying.  And he was a moody fucker as well.  Always going round with a face like a smacked arse.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 03:01:00 pm »
/presses "like" button

Well written.  :champ

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 03:26:38 pm »
Brilliant ;D

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 04:30:41 pm »
Ha!

I wonder if all this Sterling stuff is his fault, too?  :-X

Of course it is Rhi, he was shite at contract negotiations too!!!

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 05:02:13 pm »
Superb!
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 06:42:00 pm »
Hmm, can't believe Rhi forgot that he's also responsible for the horrible state of the field....trying to sweep things under the carpet eh!

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 06:44:52 pm »
Brilliant!
Yep.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 07:00:34 pm »
It was his fault we couldn't lift the curse as well.  We were doing all right towards lifting it pre 1998, then he comes in and ruins all our efforts.  In fact, if anything he made the curse worse. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 01:38:54 pm by Maggie May »

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 08:17:42 pm »
Why have I only just seen this :) absolutely brilliant.

For me, it was his weird walk that made him suspect!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 08:18:57 pm »
Always had a smirk on his face like he knew something you didn't. Cheeky bastard.

Brilliant write up by the way.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 08:28:19 pm »
Always had a smirk on his face like he knew something you didn't. Cheeky bastard.

Brilliant write up by the way.
Yes, like all those times he took the credit for a 30 yard screamer when in reality there were so many players in the way the keeper couldn't even see it going past him. Sneaky sod.

And agreed, phenomenal OP.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 09:44:41 pm »
For me, it was his weird walk that made him suspect!

He was never gonna make anything of himself with that gait.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 10:08:09 pm »
The most annoying aspect of SG's game during Houllier's era was his inflexibility, his one-dimensional style - all he ever did was pass to Michael Owen.

Oh look, MO's on the run I must kick it there.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 11:43:28 pm »
The most annoying aspect of SG's game during Houllier's era was his inflexibility, his one-dimensional style - all he ever did was pass to Michael Owen.
The most annoying aspect of SG's game during Rafa's era was his inflexibility, his one-dimensional style - all he ever did was pass to Fernando Torres.
The most annoying aspect of SG's game during Rodgers's era was his inflexibility, his one-dimensional style - all he ever did was pass to Luis Suarez.

Oh look, MO-FT-LS's on the run I must kick it there.

Sooooooo Predictable. Snooze button stuff. No wonder Mouhrino wouldn't have him.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2015, 05:46:41 am »
You forgot him being finished in 2010. He was being carried by his team-mates for five long years  ;D

Great post there.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2015, 05:49:53 am »
That's great Rhi. I confess I've been guilty as many others have of giving Gerrard a hard time for not being better (whatever that means) but what a player. 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 06:28:33 am »
Cracking read that Rhi, cheers.

Gerrard's stepping down from Liverpool has come at the worst time for me, and I don't mean in regards to where the team is at the moment, I mean in terms of great threads like these being lost in a sea of shite on the main board.
What a pity that at a time when we should be appreciating of the greatest players in our history there are many who would rather talk hundreds of pages of shite about a boy who doesn't deserve to wipe the mud of Gerrard's boots. Sad times indeed.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2015, 12:44:38 pm »
That's great Rhi. I confess I've been guilty as many others have of giving Gerrard a hard time for not being better (whatever that means) but what a player. 

Cracking read that Rhi, cheers.

Gerrard's stepping down from Liverpool has come at the worst time for me, and I don't mean in regards to where the team is at the moment, I mean in terms of great threads like these being lost in a sea of shite on the main board.
What a pity that at a time when we should be appreciating of the greatest players in our history there are many who would rather talk hundreds of pages of shite about a boy who doesn't deserve to wipe the mud of Gerrard's boots. Sad times indeed.

Its OK lads.  You don't have to keep up the pretence in this thread.   :wave

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 01:00:55 pm »
And another thing.  I was deeply shocked when he actually bit the Liver Bird.  I mean, you can't go round biting innocent birds, when they're not harming anybody.  (Well our cat wants to, but the buggers are too wily).

Well.  I reckon this is what kicked that mad sod Suet off into the biting.  Imitation you see.  This Suet fella was not the full shilling and thought if you could get away with doing that in public to two poor creatures who did nothing more than sit on top of a big building and flap their wings when a virgin walked underneath, he'd give it a go on people.

The next thing we knew was Suet's fastening his fangs on some poor sod and all Hell'e let loose.

All Gerard's fault you see on account of not being able to keep his teeth to himself and setting a bad example to the simple minded. 

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2015, 01:23:49 pm »
And another thing.  I was deeply shocked when he actually bit the Liver Bird.  I mean, you can't go round biting innocent birds, when they're not harming anybody.  (Well our cat wants to, but the buggers are too wily).

Well.  I reckon this is what kicked that mad sod Suet off into the biting.  Imitation you see.  This Suet fella was not the full shilling and thought if you could get away with doing that in public to two poor creatures who did nothing more than sit on top of a big building and flap their wings when a virgin walked underneath, he'd give it a go on people.

The next thing we knew was Suet's fastening his fangs on some poor sod and all Hell'e let loose.

All Gerard's fault you see on account of not being able to keep his teeth to himself and setting a bad example to the simple minded. 

16 years after making his debut, people are still spelling his name incorrectly. Clearly a highly forgettable player.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2015, 01:35:48 pm »
16 years after making his debut, people are still spelling his name incorrectly. Clearly a highly forgettable player.

Very true.  The extra "r" he tried to make people use was poncy as well.   The one "r" everyone else is happy with clearly not good enough.  Big poser.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2015, 02:04:42 pm »
Its OK lads.  You don't have to keep up the pretence in this thread.   :wave
Yeah you're right, my post wasn't in the spirit if the thread at all, sorry.  :-[

See, Stevie's that bad he affects the quality of my posts..... :)
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2015, 02:14:14 pm »
:D

And only a couple of weeks from now, people will talk about how they were lucky to watch Gerrard. Now that was some player. They don't come any better.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2015, 02:32:07 pm »
The luckiest player I've ever seen, just look at how flukey those goals against Olympiakos, Blackburn and West Ham were, anyone could score those, he'll not be missed.

*SNIFFLES*

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2015, 02:38:43 pm »
Yeah you're right, my post wasn't in the spirit if the thread at all, sorry.  :-[

See, Stevie's that bad he affects the quality of my posts..... :)

That's more like it.  Knew it wasn't your fault.  He's an evil influence (see above with Wassisname). 

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2015, 06:00:49 pm »
And to cap it all, he's a fucking wool from Huyton as well. Plazzie scouser.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2016, 02:49:28 pm »
BUMP

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2016, 03:26:26 pm »
I feel a knighthood coming his way very soon.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2016, 03:35:47 pm »
Great Post.

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2016, 03:39:56 pm »
will always love his amazing eyebrow movement

and he was a pretty good player ,too