Author Topic: Oh Sami, Sami ...  (Read 20168 times)

Offline Mark_P

• Stupid fucking little gosbite
  • Legacy Fan
Oh Sami, Sami ...
« on: May 13, 2009, 06:07:06 pm »
It's July 1999. As Gerard Houllier and assistant Phil Thompson proudly show off the fruits of their close season labour, a Czech, pair of Dutchmen, Guinnien, Swiss, and Finn nervously smile for the camera in Anfield's Main Stand. Whilst Reds fans, still smarting from much heralded 'missing pieces' such as "the guv'nor" Paul Ince, could be forgiven for feeling underwhelmed by these low-cost buys from around Europe's bargain basements, had half the influence the £2.5m Sami Hyypia would have on Liverpool Football Club in the next decade been predicted, there would have been a Newcastle-esque crowd outside Anfield that July day for the man who would win medals galore and win the adulation of the Kop.

Ten years on from that summer, we prepare to say "hyvästi" to Hyypia, who leaves for pastures new in Leverkusen, taking with him the best wishes of the Kop, tributes from all who've played alongside him in the decade he's spent in Red, and a fair few medals thrown in that suitcase bound for Germany for good measure.

Prior to his arrival at Anfield, Hyypia had a brief trial with Kevin Keegan's free-scoring yet goal-gifting Newcastle in 1995. It's never easy to look back and predict how things may have panned out had history been different and Keegan decided to go with Sami, but his influence would've surely ensured that not only the Toon's much maligned defence not been their Achilles heel for so long, but our own pegging back and overtaking of Newcastle in the English football hierarchy since those few 1990s seasons would've been a lot harder.

And, being talked about as someone who could've stemmed the Geordie back line who later included the likes of Titus Bramble and Jean Boumsoung is praise indeed.

After the dark days of Babb, Ruddock, Scales and the ever-trying but ultimately inept Song, it is little surprise a central defender who could defend, keep concentration for ninety minutes and a model professional rather than a suscriber to the 'win or lose, we're on the booze' mentality of those who came before, it is little surprise Hyypia took little time to win over fans and teammates alike. It's often overlooked when looking at the early success of Houllier's reign; it seems only the dark days '03 onwards are remembered; but the partnership of Stephane Henchoz and Hyypia was a bedrock of the success enjoyed early on. From successfully shutting out Rivaldo, Kluivert et al in the Camp Nou, to ensuring Giggs, Scholes and the media's best team of the century were nullified at Old Trafford. Finally, ably aided by his solid and dependable future central partner Jamie Carragher, Henchoz and rapid right back Markus Babbel, we had a back four that could be depended on. By the end of the treble season, the £2.5m fee paid to Willem II had already been paid back in full. What came in the next eight years ensured Hyypia has paid back ten times that figure (Not literally Hicks and Gillett, before you go checking those accounts for £25m!) - with interest.

For much of the treble season, Hyypia's impressive displays had earnt his the captain's armband, and whilst Hyypia faded into the background at Cardiff and merely shared cup-lifting duties in Dortmund, there was little doubt who would be the captain of the club when Redknapp succumbed to various knee problems and was shipped off and Fowler's long running spat with Houllier and Thompson was ended when he was sold to Leeds.

After the steady rise of Hyypia's profile at the club earnt him the armband, consistant, highly commited performances became Hyypia's speciality; up to and including his most recent display at Old Trafford. But. whilst the goal that gave us the belief that we could beat Europe's best when Sami volleyed home against Buffon in the Juventus goal, the goal against United that marked his arrival at Anfield or his shackling of Europe's finest across the decade immediately spring to mind when looking back at Hyypia's LFC career, three things spring to my mind.

Middlesbrough in the 2005/06 season. It was a home match just prior we went to Japan for the World Club Championships, and with the game already won, there was an end of season feel to the game, as with a fortnight break, it was time to cheer the lads off to the Far East. Sami in typical Sami fashion bravely won a header late on in the game, clashing heads with the Boro centre forward, receiving a nasty gash to the head for his troubles. Whilst off the pitch for treatment, Sami received Vaseline, a bandage, and a swig of water, ran back on, and in his first action since returning to the action proceeded to rise above the same forward to meet a long Boro punt up field full on with his near crimson head!

Whilst that incident is a more obscure one to remember, the next one certainly isn't. Injuries in warm-ups are always drummed into substitutes minds prior to a game, and the phrase “always be ready” a byword for reserve wannabes and standby goalies alike. But when that call comes minutes before kick off at Old Trafford with the team's title hopes hanging by the weakest of threads, there aren't many who could step in and deal with Berbatov and Rooney among others with such aplomb and coolness, illustrated with his superb trapping of a ball that had travelled half way up the pitch, before picking out a midfielder with minimal fuss. It may seem like a trivial incident if you don't remember it. But with Rooney waiting to pounce, it was a crucial intervention that if many defenders had pulled off would be still on loop on Sky Sports. Sami typified in one moment – get the job done, and let others take the plaudits.

But, my favourite Sami Hyypia moment didn't occur on the field. It was an incident that sums the man up more than any article could. A change of captain can mean many things, and none of them can be interpreted in a positive way. Lack of faith in current captain, acts of ill-discipline, looking to get rid of the skipper are the usual reasons behind a shock captaincy change. It would be a lie to say when Steven Gerrard was handed the armband in 2003 things were going smoothly on the field, but Sami could've moaned and sulked. He'd have been well within his rights to look at his standing in the game and been able to take his choice of any European side after a move that was widely seen as a way of keeping Gerrard at the Reds. In age when footballers can pull over their sport car "shaking with rage" at their paltry offer of an extra £20,000 a week, or look for a move due to not feeling loved, footballers are an extremely sensitive species.

But Hyypia's response?  Congratulate Gerrard and prove those critics who backed Houllier's decision with a baffling excuse his Liverpool career had fizzled out - it had hit a plateau certainly, but Hyypia's response was excellent. Dignified, professional and very much Sami Hyypia.

If the Dutch cameraman who brought Hyypia to Liverpool's attention in the mid-90s was to make himself known, he would be surely a quivering, alcoholic mess by next week such would be the demand to buy the man a pint by hundreds of thousands around the World. Let's hope for his own well-being he doesn't slip his identity into a conversation on Slater Street anytime soon.

And when Sami's “blonder than last May” head isn't clearing the ball from Singapore's finest in late July, it will be a strange sight. Hopefully it's “inabit” rather than “tara” for good, but one thing is for sure: when defensive heavyweights such as Smith, Hansen, Hughes and Lawrenson are mentioned in Liverpool all time XIs pub debates, and when the time comes to bore my Grandkids rigid with stories of great players I've had the privilege of seeing in Red, the name of that previously unheard of Finn who sat uncomfortably with a French hand on one shoulder and Kirby hand the other in 1999 will roll off the tongue as effortlessly as those afore mentioned legends.

"Hyvästi" for now, to a Liverpool legend.

"From corners he will score some, he's Sami Hyypia ..."
Just GO you Yank twats.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
Re: Oh Sami, Sami ...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:17:51 pm »
Great piece for a great and I mean that, great player for this club.
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Dirkydirkdirk

• Kopite
  • Sweet Jesus no
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 06:19:12 pm »
Great post.

He's been a massive player for the past 10 years. I dread to think what might have happened without him. His influence on the players around him has been massive - I know that he was a role model for a lot of the young centre halves at the club, both on and off the pitch.

I'll be dabbing away a tear at the Spurs game as we bid him farewell.
There are no stars in this team, or no one with any airs or graces. We're one unit, we work hard for each other and we all pull in the same direction.

Offline oldboybailey

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 06:27:43 pm »
nice one, enjoyed reading that. altho only 24 so didnt see the likes of smith, yeats, hanson and the rest [play live they must've been some players to be thought of as highly as sami hyypia. Unfashionable and extremely underated by all outside of anfield (and finland!) but every red knows how special a player he is. There were times around 2000/2001 where i thought nobody would ever get a goal against us. then we had the amazing euro campaign in 2005 that Carra rightly gets a lot of credit for, but it was sami sat alongside him the whole way through, keeping his calm and shutting down some of the best strikers in the world. The BEST 2.6m ever spent by anyone ever!

the first name and only name i ever got on the back of mi shirt too. one more time... WHOA SAMI SAMI!!! SAMI SAMI SAMI SAMI HYYPIA!

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 06:37:32 pm »
nice piece for the great defender.
who wrote it? the opening poster?
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline tonyLFC

• Add me on Facebook! LOLZ!
  • Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:47:21 pm »
Im gutted he won't get a league winner's medal (if we don't do it this year); having won everything else there's no one more deserving of one. You never hear about him being a twat in town or anything, or anyone having a bad word to say about him. Agger and Skrtel have some big shoes to fill

Offline Ratzer

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 07:34:36 pm »
You will be missed Sami.....YNWA

Offline AndoNagasaki

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • the devil makes good use for these hands of mine
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 07:50:13 pm »
Fantastic post mate - agree with everything on there.

Especially

But Hyypia's response?  Congratulate Gerrard and prove those critics who backed Houllier's decision with a baffling excuse his Liverpool career had fizzled out - it had hit a plateau certainly, but Hyypia's response was excellent. Dignified, professional and very much Sami Hyypia.

Quality post.
the trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin I keep sliding off to the side

Offline Cambo

• Kemlynite
  • Yeats, Hyypia, The Colossus of Anfield Rhodes
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 08:50:05 pm »
Great post Mark.

Love the man, personal idol, best header-er of a football I've ever seen, strongest neck muscles since Ivan Drago.

The quotes over the last week, some summarised below, have confirmed influential, hard-working, dignified and hugely respected big Sami is, as well as providing further insight into why he has delivered so consistently on the pitch.
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2009/may/8/N164286090508-0910.htm

Haven't seen it mentioned around, but also want to mention what a classy exit - heading overseas rather than stepping down to a lower Prem team and competing against Liverpool.

Does anyone know how to write to the players at (care of) the Club? Would be good to write an old-fashioned letter thanking Mr Hyypia for all the great memories.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 09:08:13 pm »
Watford 0-1. First home game. I was there. I can still remember the stick our signings got on the radio after that game. "Hyypiä, Smicer,... not the kind of players we want at Liverpool."

Should serve as a reminder every time we pass judgement on someone too early. Who could have known that 10 (!) seasons later Sami would still be active at LFC (having picked up almost every trophy there is over the years).

And over those 10 years, having played everyone, I can't recall a single game when Sami has had a real stinker. Everyone has a game when he's below par now and then. It's only human. Well, maybe there's one game. I think he had the flu and we lost 1-4 to Chelsea. He's been absolutely phenomenal. Quality performances game after game after game. Season after season. That's real quality. He's unique. 

I'm happy for him that he gets to play for a little longer, but my God will I miss him at LFC.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:11:08 pm by Gnurglan »

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 11:56:04 pm »
The spurs game should be Sami Hyypia Day he should play should be captain and it should be great way to celebrate this legend of a player seeing that there is nothing on the game .

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 12:23:01 am »
Excellent post. I love big Sami. I'll be very sad when he leaves.

I'm also a bit worried with our lack of aerial threat and aerial defences now, but Rafa will sort that out.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 01:22:25 am »
Excellent piece of writing

Will be a very sad day next Sunday even if there is a miracle
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 02:27:40 am »
That is awesome...
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline i6uuaq

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Hmm... what's this personal text thing, then?
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 03:48:41 am »
illustrated with his superb trapping of a ball that had travelled half way up the pitch, before picking out a midfielder with minimal fuss. It may seem like a trivial incident if you don't remember it. But with Rooney waiting to pounce, it was a crucial intervention that if many defenders had pulled off would be still on loop on Sky Sports.

i remember that one! bloody good ball control, something that many others have yet to master. ;D
"I've not seen it and I'm not being Arsene Wenger," Dalglish said. "If there's something untoward then I am sure the governing body will act appropriately."

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 04:13:40 am »
Said it before, I'll doubtless say it again:  If we'd had Sami alongside God, Macmanaman, Digger etc, rather than Babb, Kvarme and the like, we wouldn't be waiting for number 19 now.

Offline Xabinator

• Legacy Fan
  • We will go to Paris.....we may even go to France
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 04:56:53 am »
I can't help but feel that, for me, it's one of those cases of "don't know what you've got until it's gone"

Don't get me wrong, I think Sami is a champion in every sense of the word but I feel like I haven't appreciated him enough over the years.

I just hope we see him on the bench beside Rafa again one day, in a big puffy black jacket with a big "SH" on the chest.
"Sir, I may be an idiot but there is one thing that I am not - and that, sir, is an idiot" Peter Griffin

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 05:18:44 am »
we'll miss sami, you don't replace great players easily. guess at least we'll get to give sami the send off he deserves at the spurs game as reported.

will be so happy to see sami back one day.

Offline liverpool_21

• Main Stander
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 07:10:23 am »
Can't believe the game with the bandage was a few seasons back. Remember watching it back home on the telly and beeming with pride that he was never gonna sink to the level of them divers and show actors.

A true professional. Please come back Sami! please do.

It's added by the fact that i started getting live games here around the year 2000. Watched hypia and henchoz form was of the most formidable backline I've ever witnessed.

Sami! Sami!
Thanks for the glory!!

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 07:52:57 am »
Quality post Mark!

Offline longtimered

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 09:01:33 am »
Enjoyed the post.Hope he gets selected for the final game to get the farewell he deserves.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 09:35:14 am »
Fucken top class post, for a top class player and human being.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 09:38:59 am »
Only thing I would comment about Mark is the game against Boro.

The score ws 0-0 at the time from my recolection.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 09:51:50 am »
Yer can keep your Maldinis, Thurams, Desaillys, Ferdinands, Vidics etc. Give me Big Sami anyday.

The best Liverpool defender I have ever watched (started watching from 2000 onwards). Absolute legend and I may not be surprised to see a tear fall on the last day of the season. 

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 10:51:30 am »
Sami made his first Anfield apperance on the day I first got to go to Anfield.  I can't wait to thank him for ten wonderful years on Sunday week, only wish he was going out with a Premier League medal in his back pocket, cos he certainly deserves one.
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Offline barnseysbarmyarmy

• Kopite
  • You know nothing John Snow (except current affairs
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 11:30:08 am »
A post worthy of a a humble and classy man that every player to wear the red shirt now and in the future should model their conduct and dedication by. A true legend who will be sorely missed. Hopefully the tributes at Anfield will match his contribution over the years, which I'm sure they will.

Offline wednesday25052005

• Kopite
  • JFT96
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 11:31:24 am »
"Hyvästi" Sami - Legend of our Club, one of the greats

Thanks for all you've done for us Sami and all the very best for the future, with the hope that you will return to us in the future in some capacity should you decide so.

You'll Never Walk Alone Sami

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 11:49:15 am »
Damn, had moist eyes reading that - read like an eulogy to the career of one of our best player down the decade and the goodbye that had to come. :(
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 01:22:10 pm »
Simply, the best centre back of his generation and a Liverpool legend that will sit alongside Hansen, Lawro, Hughes, Thommo, Big Ron and the rest in "all time LFC line ups" for decades to come.
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 01:41:20 pm »
excellent piece that is..

sami is a legend :D

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 02:53:49 pm »
Excellent piece, and it was Sami's immaculate control at Old trafford which led to us taking the lead. Legend.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

royhendo

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2009, 03:54:10 pm »
Brilliant post - thoroughly enjoyed it mate.  :wellin

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2009, 06:19:08 pm »
I remember watching Sami's debut at Sheffield Wednesday. Some beaut next to me kept moaning about "all these new players with fuckin' stupid names".

20 minutes in - "that blond lad's a bit fuckin' good isn't he, mate?"

Offline proud_red_norwegian

• Anny Roader
  • SOS member
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 08:56:05 am »
Was Hyypia ever close to being named Footballer of the year??
If not, It's a disgrace!
And could he play!

Offline Monkey Tennis

• Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 10:42:20 am »
Class.  He helped turn our great club around.  A modern Yates

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2009, 02:46:02 pm »
Ball and man. No better legend for that job.

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2009, 04:42:19 pm »
Enjoyed the post.Hope he gets selected for the final game to get the farewell he deserves.

and the captain's armband as well. 

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2009, 04:53:57 pm »
and the captain's armband as well. 

:) I think if the title is decided this weekend he will be captain against Spurs and take play up front for the last 15 minutes. ;)
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2009, 08:07:29 pm »
The more I think about it, the more I feel upset at him leaving. I only caught Barnes, Rush, Grobelaar etc in thier twilight, so the only person who's a legend I've seen play is Fowler. He's gone and Sami's leaving now. Hope he gets to play next Sunday.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2009, 09:05:17 pm »
great player.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'