Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Hull - Saturday September 24, 15:00  (Read 38310 times)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Hull - Saturday September 24, 15:00
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2016, 12:29:53 pm »
If Sturridge is fit 
There anything to suggest he isn't?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2016, 12:40:48 pm »
There anything to suggest he isn't?

Taken off early vs Chelsea.
Didn't train two days later.
Not in the squad for last nights game despite been taken off early vs Chelsea.

Not saying I believe there is an issue, but I'm just guessing that's what's making some people wonder!

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2016, 12:43:28 pm »
Taken off early vs Chelsea.
Didn't train two days later.
Not in the squad for last nights game despite been taken off early vs Chelsea.

Not saying I believe there is an issue, but I'm just guessing that's what's making some people wonder!
1) Klopp said there was no injury
2) I think he's on a special training programme
3) Did the likes of Lallana and Wijnaldum travel? (I jonestly don't know).
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2016, 12:48:02 pm »
Liverpool v Hull City
Referee: Andre Marriner
Assistants: S Beck, A Garratt
Fourth official: S Attwell
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2016, 12:48:35 pm »
I feel relaxed about this game which of course is a worry.

I want Sturridge to play, but can't see how Coutinho doesn't. Lovely problems to have.

Our momentum is building nicely and a decent win here sets up nicely for what looks like some winnable fixtures to come in the near future.

Also, who plays in goal?

I'd go with this team

Karius

Clyne  Matip  Lovren  Milner

Henderson

Winny                    Lallana

Mane      Sturridge   Firmino

But how can I seriously consign the magician to the bench??

FFS.....over to you Herr Klopp...sort it out.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2016, 12:49:28 pm »
It would be very typical of us, almost expected, that we drop points for this one - after a great run of results against "bigger" teams.

Let's see how far we've progressed.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2016, 12:56:30 pm »
I think these and West Brom are probably the only 2 other sides in the league (aside from Burnley) that will come out intending to park the bus for the full 90, so a big point to prove here. A lot of optimism at the minute but we keep hearing the same thing about us not being able to beat the smaller clubs, so here's the chance to really put a marker down.

Karius,
Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Milner
Hendo, Wijnaldum, Lallana
Mane, Sturridge, Firmino

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2016, 01:06:48 pm »
These are the teams you beat to get top 4 and beyond.  I hope we come out straight from the off with the crowd up and the players up and put them away.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2016, 01:11:14 pm »
As someone else has posted the main decision is which combination we go with up front. I think Sturridge maybe the man to drop to the bench with Firmino playing as a false 9. Whoever plays we mustn`t take this game lightly. They are a side that is clearly up for the fight. We will have plenty of possession and I just think that Firmino and Coutinho are the combination to break open what will be a well drilled defensive operation for Hull. If we win this and win this comfortably I think we can then say 100% that the Burnley result was a blip and not an indication of a wider problem.

I am going 3-1 to us. The 1 is because, well it's just us !
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline vallapureddy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2016, 01:14:28 pm »
Cout for Lallana & Karius for Mignolet. Those might be the only changes for this game.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2016, 01:15:29 pm »
I feel relaxed about this game which of course is a worry.

I want Sturridge to play, but can't see how Coutinho doesn't. Lovely problems to have.

Our momentum is building nicely and a decent win here sets up nicely for what looks like some winnable fixtures to come in the near future.

Also, who plays in goal?

I'd go with this team

Karius

Clyne  Matip  Lovren  Milner

Henderson

Winny                    Lallana

Mane      Sturridge   Firmino

But how can I seriously consign the magician to the bench??

FFS.....over to you Herr Klopp...sort it out.

That is the side I'd go with as well.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2016, 01:34:34 pm »
3 goals and 2 assists in 6 appearances already. And people are still debating on dropping Coutinho ?

There is no chance. Sturridge will go to the bench with Bobby acting central in a 4-3-3.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2016, 01:41:46 pm »
3 goals and 2 assists in 6 appearances already. And people are still debating on dropping Coutinho ?

Of course there's a debate.
We're in the situation of having 4 very effective attackers with 3 slots. He's probably the least 'forward-y' of the 4 and everyone watched our front 3 vs Liecester so its a valid question

Offline YourFaceGoesThroughALot

• Boys Pen
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2016, 01:43:47 pm »
got a PHELAN about this one lads. My PHELAN is that we will kick loads of balls in the goal a load of times. 5-0. The Hull City Tigers who came to Tea. No point looking in the cupboard mate. Joel's in there and he's not letting you get your mits on anything. Want to turn the tap on? Wouldn't bother mate. Danny's going to pour out and clip one in your top bin. By the time daddy (steve bruce) gets home you'll have died of starvation.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 01:46:35 pm by YourFaceGoesThroughALot »

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2016, 01:44:43 pm »
We took apart the parked bus at Chelsea during that first half when they were camped in their own half so don't see why people are bricking it over playing the Tiggers!

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2016, 01:51:32 pm »
Nice OP.

This is the real test of our season. I'm confident that we can hold our own against the top teams but we generally lapse when everybody expects us to win.

The recent record against Hull is sobering - "The last four meetings between the clubs have ended with two wins for Hull, one draw, and one Liverpool win".

For me our final position in the League will be decided by games like this and our ability to dominate the lower teams. No doubt that Hull will be up for the game and if we aren't then the outcome is not certain.

We need to score the first goal as that will force Hull to come out. If they score first then it could be another Burnley game. We need to face these challenges and start to come up with solutions.

I expect a 3-0 win to us.
#JFT97

Offline ass sitting midfielder

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
    • http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/users/10882/8584/avatar92.jpg?1453804063
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2016, 01:52:19 pm »
Good OP.

Expect the first clean sheet in the league. Havent seen Hull play this season but I feel they might be up for a bit of a drubbing. Nice selection dilema for Klopp - some quality players wont even make a bench! Just hope he doesnt try and shoehorn all of Coutinho, Firmino, Mané and Sturridge into same team loosing balace in the process. 4:0 win for Liverpool.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2016, 01:53:04 pm »
Cout for Lallana & Karius for Mignolet. Those might be the only changes for this game.

I can see no reason for Karius coming in as he hasn't done enough yet to oust Mignolet.
#JFT97

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2016, 01:54:31 pm »
Nice OP.

This is the real test of our season. I'm confident that we can hold our own against the top teams but we generally lapse when everybody expects us to win.

The recent record against Hull is sobering - "The last four meetings between the clubs have ended with two wins for Hull, one draw, and one Liverpool win".

For me our final position in the League will be decided by games like this and our ability to dominate the lower teams. No doubt that Hull will be up for the game and if we aren't then the outcome is not certain.

We need to score the first goal as that will force Hull to come out. If they score first then it could be another Burnley game. We need to face these challenges and start to come up with solutions.

I expect a 3-0 win to us.

Agree. Goal difference could come into it as well. For the number of goals we have scored ours should be better. These are the sort of games that if you play well and break them down then we should be maximising chances to increase the goal difference. It may seem like a minor detail now but it could be vital
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2016, 01:56:38 pm »
Tricky selection but a great dilemma to have.

I'd go for the same team that started Leicester except lovren for Lucas. Maybe harsh on coutinho and had a great game last night but there we go.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2016, 02:01:47 pm »
Of course there's a debate.
We're in the situation of having 4 very effective attackers with 3 slots. He's probably the least 'forward-y' of the 4 and everyone watched our front 3 vs Liecester so its a valid question

There's no debate. Coutinho is our best player; you don't leave your best players out when there's nothing wrong with him.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2016, 02:07:37 pm »
I think it'll be the same team that played against Chelsea except Firmino in for Sturridge. I cant see Coutinho missing out.

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2016, 02:08:01 pm »
It's a bit surreal this game, as it feels like all we have read over the past couple of weeks is that it's only a matter of time before Liverpool 'revert to type' and start dropping points against the teams outside of the big 6/7. Even when Chelsea equalised, looking back at in-game opposition threads, people expected us to collapse. I have laughed it off and thought to myself that people haven't properly watching Liverpool develop this season, and off the back of the last 15 minutes against Arsenal, we had something in our minds that we could cling onto, confidence to take into those last few minutes against Chelsea and we did it brilliantly. I am hoping that they get another surprise this weekend, and we are able to get 3 points first and foremost, and in a convincing manner. I'm not suggesting we are going out there to win by a few goals, but a comfortable performance would be reassuring, and help build on the brilliant foundations we have laid already.

No games are easy at home anymore, but I hope the players are able to avoid the added pressure it feels this game has.

It will be interesting to see if he opts for Karius or Mignolet. I personally think Mignolet should play. He hasn't done anything wrong to date, and I fear if we continue with Karius then his confidence will be shot, which could be a problem if we need to rely on them again. I'd be happy to see a bit of rotation in there over the next month or two, so both of them are performing at a high level and pushing each other, to see who is ready to take the #1 spot. I do feel it is Karius' long term, and he will take it soon, but I don't want to see Mignolet being thrown under a bus. Keepers are different in the sense that they can't come off the bench for a few minutes at the end of games for sharpness. Thrown under a bus sounds harsh, but apart from poor distribution this season, he hasn't done a lot wrong - I hope he still picks up minutes here and there to keep him fresh.

With Lallana and Wjinaldum rested last night, you would expect both to come back in with one of Henderson or Can - probably Henderson. I did wonder if this might be the game to try something a little different, or because 4-3-3 has worked well so far we should stick with it? Maybe Coutinho in midfield and allowing Mane, Sturridge and Firmino to play too.

I'd love a comfortable 1-0 win.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2016, 02:10:54 pm »
A fence 14 at the National, game.

One of the lesser hurdles that catches so many out. We need to get get over this easily without any hiccups.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2016, 02:17:24 pm »

There is no chance. Sturridge will go to the bench with Bobby acting central in a 4-3-3.
I seriously hope we stop with Firmino as a false 9. We lack penetration especially against teams who will be looking to drop deep and narrow like Burnley did and Hull probably will.

We've scored 14-goals in four games with either Sturridge or Origi up front and generally look more potent.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2016, 02:20:25 pm »
There's no debate. Coutinho is our best player; you don't leave your best players out when there's nothing wrong with him.

There's no arguing with some people. Jack isn't one of them to be fair, but there's really mental idea doing the round that we can drop Coutinho based on our performance against Leicester, who are a decent team, but hardly Barcelona. You're absolutely right btw. He's our best player, and if he's fit and there's no reason to rest him like a big game on the horizon etc, he must play.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2016, 02:31:53 pm »
At the risk of sounding like the Evertonian who remarked getting drubbed by Liverpool 4-nil might actually be a good thing, the Burnley result burst our hype bubble early and removed the pressure of the "100%" record.  It has kept us below the radar with the pundits thinking we have just reverted to type.

For myself I expect a good win.  It's okay to be confident, even over confident.  People are just scared because they've been let down and hurt so many times in the past.  But you're not on the pitch; and the people who are have Jürgen Klopp to keep their feet on the ground and common sense in their heads.

So be as confident as you like.  Expect goals.  Expect a clean sheet.  Start believing.

I'm with you brother.

2 or 3 goal victory for the red men would be my prediction.

I expect Sturridge to start and score. Not sure which Brazilian misses out as a result, but think it will be one of them as would be shocked to see Henderson/Wijnaldum/Lallana/Mane miss out.

So, the team to tame the Tigers:

Karius
Clyne
Matip
Lovren
Milner
Henderson
Wijnaldum
Lallana
Coutinho
Sturridge
Mane

Migs/Moreno/Lucas/Can/Coutinho/Origi/Ings

On a side note, even the subs bench is difficult to select - no place for Klavan/Grujic or any of the kids (and I've probably missed someone too)

Looks to me like Jurgen's got the whole squad settled, with good to excellent camaraderie and genuine, tough, competition for places. Those in the first 11 HAVE to be at it, or there are very good footballers in the background ready to take their place.

Loving it. Been a long time since we could say that.

EDIT: LOL - just realised that i've put couts on bench and in first 11  :o - clearly that little conundrum f*cked with my mind... Couts in the 11, Bobby on the bench
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 02:34:58 pm by wige »

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2016, 02:34:16 pm »
There's no arguing with some people. Jack isn't one of them to be fair, but there's really mental idea doing the round that we can drop Coutinho based on our performance against Leicester, who are a decent team, but hardly Barcelona. You're absolutely right btw. He's our best player, and if he's fit and there's no reason to rest him like a big game on the horizon etc, he must play.

You can say the exact same for Sturridge, Firmino and Mane though.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2016, 02:36:34 pm »
Would love to see something I`ve been wishing to see against lesser sides at Anfield for a while now - defensive line being pushed up all the way to the halfway line and using our sweeper keeper to deal with everything that goes over the top. It would allow us to squeeze these kind of teams so much that it would be inevitable for us to break them down as pressure would be too huge.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2016, 02:43:59 pm »
Right. gotta get this win......

Soooooooooo tired of us dropping points in easy fixtures over the last couple of seasons. We need to become ruthless and especially at home

Start off by battering Hull here, then take it into Swansea next week

Of course its not going to be easy........and we could draw or lose and that will just have to be dealt with if it happens. But really don't wanna think of that, we have a squad firing on all cylinders and need to keep this momentum for as long as possible.

Plenty of movement and focus at the back whenever they break on us....play with confidence and not get frustrated even if it is 70 mins and 0-0. Our quality will show and winning 1-0 or 5-0 makes no difference at this stage of the season, just win it lads.

2-0 redmen
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2016, 02:45:00 pm »

Coutinho is not going to be playing in a midfield 3 and there is no way Lallana doesn't play every game that he is fit for. 

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2016, 02:45:43 pm »
7-0
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2016, 02:54:17 pm »

I have no idea how you're deciding he's our "best player" - But football management isn't about picking your best 11 players
Klopp's job is to get the most effective attacking unit to beat hull at home - it's easy to make a case where coutinho isn't part of it especially in a front 3
Where in a luxurious position where whichever 3 from 4 you pick we'all probably dominate and win the game so it probably hasn't more to do with which one he wants from the start and which can change the game from the bench

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2016, 02:56:11 pm »
Predict 3-0 to us

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2016, 03:00:56 pm »
There's nothing to choose between Firmino and Coutinho right now. Tactically you can play both if you don't play Sturridge. But this is a game you have to play Sturridge I feel.

I'm glad I don't have to make the decision because they all deserve to start.

The fact that Coutinho has gone from being the guy we rely on, to not even 100% guaranteed to start is frankly amazing of our progress.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2016, 03:10:34 pm »
Coutinho will start. Was taken off early last night.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2016, 03:14:16 pm »
There's nothing to choose between Firmino and Coutinho right now. Tactically you can play both if you don't play Sturridge. But this is a game you have to play Sturridge I feel.

I'm glad I don't have to make the decision because they all deserve to start.

The fact that Coutinho has gone from being the guy we rely on, to not even 100% guaranteed to start is frankly amazing of our progress.

Why play Sturridge over other two though?  Out of the three, Sturridge has been the least productive. 

I do agree that it's great that we don't have to rely on one player and the fact that there is even a debate about which player to leave off just goes to show how much of a better position we are in then just a year ago. 

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2016, 03:14:23 pm »
Time to believe. There will be hiccups along the way and we shouldn't all go into apoplectic fits of rage when they do happen. But I don't think Saturday is going to be a hiccup. Put them to the sword, as James Pearce loves to say. Make Anfield a fortress.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2016, 03:14:50 pm »
1) Klopp said there was no injury
2) I think he's on a special training programme
3) Did the likes of Lallana and Wijnaldum travel? (I jonestly don't know).

I think Lallana and Gini where there. Not sure if Studge was.

I agree with you by the way, I was just pointing out why some may understandibly think it!

I fully expect him to be in the squad for Saturday. 

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2016, 03:18:26 pm »
It will be interesting to see if he opts for Karius or Mignolet. I personally think Mignolet should play. He hasn't done anything wrong to date, and I fear if we continue with Karius then his confidence will be shot, which could be a problem if we need to rely on them again. 
His confidence is that fragile, his personality so mushy? I think this argument does quite as much disservice to a fairly decent professional as any criticism.