Author Topic: Klopp's Second Season - What constitutes a good 16/17 season in your view?  (Read 124167 times)

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
Top 4 is an absolute minimum for me, particularly with no European football.

We have to look more solid and consistent and show real signs of progress too.

I think Klopp would see that as a minimum requirement himself

Would clearly love a trophy as well...but from a development perspective playing in the CL is an absolute must.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
For me it's more consistency in our performances. Last season we'd turn over City at the Etihad and beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, then draw at home to the likes of Sunderland after being two goals up.

If we can become more consistent, then we will naturally pick up more points. It's going to be a very tough league next season, so we ned to get the fundamentals right, something we didn't do last season; and if we do, I think we will be competitive next season.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Top 4

I think that would be a good season....a decent domestic cup run from the two on offer also.

Not to say anything less is a disappointment as it will depend on context of how the season unfolds. I'd like to see development in a few of our players and a cohesive team with a good attitude which we arguably already have..

Consistancy in results is key. I'm hoping to see a mentally tough Liverpool team this season with a bit more nouse. Some of these players have been through alot together and it's time to see that on the field, a team working for eachother and getting results in the process
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
Top 4 & or a trophy:

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
I love Klopp, a great manager with pedigree, and a proven winner - but what's all this that we shouldn't pressure him into trying to finish top 4?!

How low have we have fallen. Top 4 should be the minimum of our targets every season.

The pressure should come from himself. From within. I'm sure he'll push himself and be working damn hard along with his coaching staff to try and help us have a good season. He could do without the added pressure from us though. Let him be. The man knows what he is doing. Give him time, be patient and he'll get it right.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 07:59:10 pm by Hemorrhaging Tony Giamatti »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
For me it's more consistency in our performances. Last season we'd turn over City at the Etihad and beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, then draw at home to the likes of Sunderland after being two goals up.

If we can become more consistent, then we will naturally pick up more points. It's going to be a very tough league next season, so we ned to get the fundamentals right, something we didn't do last season; and if we do, I think we will be competitive next season.

Good post. I agree with this.

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hopefully after healthily funding Southampton again, we'll not end up tussling with it for league position once more but rather have  a genuine go at the title. A trophy would be be nice, too.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
Simply consistency. Not dropping silly leads when 2-0 up at home or away for that matter. Sunderland, Newcastle, Southampton at home and Southampton away. 4 games that cost us 9pts which would have easily seen us finish 4th last season. Southampton at home was 1-0 until 85 mins but should have been seen out.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
Top 4

Silverware

Simple as. I'm tired of finishing outside the top 4 and having these summers of promising links that we don't buy. I'm tired of not winning trophies.

Very intrigued to see how the season goes, I'm hopeful we manage these two things but I can't see it at the moment. We're still missing out on our targets and now it's even the young and promising ones rather than the just had a great season ones we were missing out on before

Offline jdegner

• Main Stander
  • LOVREN 90+1
Expect the lads to learn from their mistakes from the past season. Expect our best players to stay and the board to bring in some more class during summer. Expect them to give us a good fight while being consistent. That will bring us points. And the 4th place finish. That I will call a good season. And I expect us to beat Everton and United too. Twice each. That would be sweet too. Don't expect anything else. Don't care about League Cup. No Champions League in 17/18 = failure.

Premiership seems out of reach at the moment but you never know with that german fella...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:50:37 am by jdegner »

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
A trophy for me. We simply need to start winning things. Would love top 4 but considering how hard the league will be this coming season I still think it could be seen as a reasonable season finishing outside the top 4 if we are making a push for it. But I believe the most important thing is for us to start bringing home some trophies. Wwe need the winning mentality back and starting by bringing in a trophy or 2, especially after last season cant start setting us up for bigger and better things.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline Marty McFly

• He is not a number, he's a free man now
  • Legacy Fan
  • Has been busy in parallel dimensions and shit.
A good FA Cup run and top 4 for me.

I know a trophy is priority for most and I'd love the Cup but we need to establish a base. From top 4 positions, Klopp can move forward and he should have his squad ready for Europe by season 3.

Call me greedy but I'll take top 4 and the Cup. It's not unrealistic.

Offline Sally

• Desperately searching for a very, very, very, very, very small toaster! "I'm saying this now, if he (Christian Benteke) scores more than 16 goals for us next season i'm eating my cock." (Duly noted!)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Yellow Submarine
A trophy, any trophy and a decent assault on the title

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
Anything other than top 4 is simply not an option. People in leadership positions will have to be held accountable, if we don't get in to Champions league this time.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
Top 4 and a significantly improved defence.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Top 4, not letting leads slip and for a defence who Loki like they've met each other before kick off. It's difficult to understand why they faded so easily when under pressure relinquishing leads against teams we should have beaten comfortably.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
I meant look not Loki the Norse god of something or other!

Offline mr dudek

• Look in to my eyes
  • Main Stander
  • Resident Hypnotist
As i see most of the posters are saying "top 4 is a must", what happens if he fails to achieve this? Should he be let go or should he be given another season?

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
A lot of people seem to think that the progress can only be made if it`s visual and exciting in a sense of -- you bring a couple of big names, they become your best players and hence you progress. It doesn`t have to be like that, it can be the most boring thing ever.

Spurs finished 14/15 season only one point above us and went into new season with only two guys getting into their best XI - Alderweireld who was so and so at Soton and couldn` t get into Atletico team the previous year at all and a kid from league one. I`m sure that all Spurs fans at the time were massively underwhelmed because they didn`t buy a player or two of Gotze`s reputation so how could they progress?

Well, they made a couple of tweaks and ended up conceding something like 15 goals less and getting to the stage where they are a much better team than year before. That`s exactly what we`re trying to do this summer - a lot of people are moaning about the level of names we`re after and whether we`re ambitious enough but the thing is if we concede a good amount of goals less we will have improved dramatically and be in a much better position to reach Top 4.

Karius and Matip are clear improvements on Mignolet and Skrtel while the wide-forward we`re close to signing will clearly improve our front 4 goals output, not to mention you`ll have the likes of Can, Firmino, Coutinho and Origi all continuing to improve as they`re nowhere near their peaks.

It`s fine to have an idea of how the progress should be made but don`t neglect fresh examples of way of working being successful that is incredibly similar to how we go about doing things.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
As i see most of the posters are saying "top 4 is a must", what happens if he fails to achieve this? Should he be let go or should he be given another season?

Sack him if Hodgson is available.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
Anything other than top 4 is simply not an option. People in leadership positions will have to be held accountable, if we don't get in to Champions league this time.
By leadership positions who do you mean sorry to ask
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
Top 4. Id consider not getting 4th or higher a failure. Bar teams improving significantly more than we do, we should get it. If we can tighten up the defense (Matip, Karius, Lovren improving) and add a few goals (Mane), id fancy us to get 4th, maybe even challenge for the title if we get off to a good start.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

:lmao

fucking hell, unrealistic expectations are the order of the off-season then?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Steady Eddie

• Anny Roader
Would like a tin pot at the end of it - a day to remember and look back on fondly.

An improvement on our league position must be expected, getting us back in and amongst the European places, preferably the European Cup spots.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
I'd love us to get top 4 but it's going to be hard with the Mancs Chelsea Spurs and Arsenal in the mix,but if we do it then it will be a great achievement and something to build on for our young squad,also good for the recruitment side as well having CL football.

I would like to win one of the cups to get this cup final hoodoo/curse or whatever it is off our back.

One game a week and Klopp working with the squad more drilling them to his football ideals etc is beneficial and we have to take advantage of the times between games on the training pitch.The freshness of the players around Febuary/March time onwards will be a good advantage to have if we're in the top 4 mix especially with the nice run in of fixtures from the last 9-10 games of the season.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Coat Of Arms

• Main Stander
  • Some men just want to watch the Woodburn
After the heartbreak of losing 3 finals in a row, I'm desperate for a trophy, even if it's the league cup.

League wise, we really should be finishing top 5 at the very least. Hopefully we can take full advantage of not being in Europe.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:56:22 pm by Coat Of Arms »

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
Progress would be get shut of this present transfer committee, which should of happened when Rogers was replaced. Top 4 must be top priority,

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
Sack him if Hodgson is available.

Agreed. And build the team around the departing Martin Skrtel.

We'd be difficult to beat and 38 draws gives 38 pts which should be seen as quite an achievement.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
A notably improved defense, maintaining leads and a continuation of our scoring upturn. If we improve these, I don't care where we end up, but it will be quite high.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Whopper. Plain and simple.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

All depends how we've been. If we're only a point or two off. Not a chance. That's progress.

If we finish 6th-8th, but win a trophy or two, not a chance. Again that's progress(albeit a bit slower).

If we finish bottom half. Questions will need to be asked.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
All depends how we've been. If we're only a point or two off. Not a chance. That's progress.

If we finish 6th-8th, but win a trophy or two, not a chance. Again that's progress(albeit a bit slower).

If we finish bottom half. Questions will need to be asked.

We won't finish bottom half, so it's pointless thinking about it. This is the best manager we could have gotten, and will get for a while. If we fuck this up as a club, we aren't going to recover it from it soon.

Offline Claude Cat

• Sworn Enemy of Pawed Dog!
  • Anny Roader
As long as signs are looking up and we're in the mix for top 4 by the end, I'll be happy even if we fall short by a few points and finish 5th/6th.

Got a feeling we'll win the league cup too.

Offline Occy

• Anny Roader
  • Loves to Lurk.
Successful season for mine will be to see Klopp get the support that he needs from the club and the fans. Also, for him to be safe in a long term position at the club. If we can ensure this the future will bring trophies.

What I don't want to see is us finish 7th and for everyone to turn on the manager and to end his tenure prematurely. We are in a rebuild phase of our cycle and it might take a little more time then everyone else expects. We have the manager we want, lets let him do what needs to be done.

Some say the transfer window has been underwhelming. Klopp has control of it, we all wanted him, let him do his thing.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:24:52 am by Occy »

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
Winning the lot would be a pretty decent season I believe!

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We won't finish bottom half, so it's pointless thinking about it.

I was giving it as an extreme example as that should be the only reason we should bring the manager to task. Not that I think it could happen.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
Title challenge.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Top 4 with a decent shot at winning the premier league .

A trophy

Consistency 

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
A genuine challenge for the top 4, actually at least 4th place. I'd also like to see us win the league cup. Both should be more than achievable given that we don't have Europe to worry about.

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!
Whopper. Plain and simple.

So finishing 5th and below is acceptable for a club like Liverpool?  I don't see what is wrong with his post.

Or have we accepted mediocrity now?  Man City's owners won't accept not winning the league yet we're happy with midtable?

What has happened to our fanbase?!   :butt