Author Topic: Klopp's Second Season - What constitutes a good 16/17 season in your view?  (Read 124480 times)

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
Seeing as the transfer window is not giving us much to shout about at the moment I thought I'd start a similar thread to my last one, as it was very interesting to hear everyone's different outlooks.

Same premise as last seasons thread.

What are you expectations for the coming season?
What would make it a good season for the club?
Is a trophy realistic? Is top 4 realistic?
Will no Europa League be a blessing or a void?

For me I think a trophy is a must. I don't care which one, just something. 10 years with 1 league cup to show for it is very very poor considering the players and managers we've had since the 2006 FA Cup win. So in my view, winning something is what Liverpool FC need to do this coming season. Some will say top 4 instead and so I'm interested to hear what the consensus is!

What do you think?

Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
After 13/14 and last season, I just want us to win a trophy.

Could give a flying fuck about 4th place.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline King_Kenny_Legend

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
After 8 months of premier league experience and a good pre-season, i would expect us to be in shout for Top 4. However, i think this season would be one of most competitive season of Premier League with us, ManU, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and to some extent clubs like West ham, Everton (new rich owners) and Southampton all is fight for Champions League places.

I would love if we are able to lift FA Cup at the end of season.

I would have preferred if we were in Europe. Just look the at the Europa League matches of last season, felt like good old days when we used to play in European Tournaments every season.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan

Hopefully finish above Stoke again.

Break into the top 6 of the Deloitte's money league

Trophy possible, not arsed about top 4 but probably remain too inconsistent unless if our new goalies any good, get as new centre back, and Sturridge stays fit and we can get another player to put it in the net.

Void.  Match going fans loved it last season and we could have given some of the reserves a chance.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
one of most competitive season of Premier League with us, ManU, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and to some extent clubs like West ham, Everton (new rich owners) and Southampton all is fight for Champions League places.

Leicester?
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Thomas

• Doubting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It has to be European Football, ideally CL. On the basis of moving the club forward and attracting top talent to the club, this is essential.

We should go far in the cup competitions, but in my eyes the priority has to be CL football.
We're the kings of Europe, the pride of Merseyside, we'll fight for no surrender, we'll fight for Shankly's pride.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
Can't see us improving that much really. Think he'll get the most out of our squad though. We'll maximise our ability, but the ability will be lacking all the same. If we finish top 6 Klopp has had a great season imo with the current squad and targets.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Champions, thanks.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
Depends on how good our rivals are for me.

If everyone is shite like last season hope we win the thing.

If the likes of City, United, Chelsea & Arsenal are good nothing wrong with finishing 5th & a couple of good cup runs.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Lot of things gonna change between now and the start of the season, so hard to make any call on it at the moment.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
I think our expectations could change if we manage to attain a game-changing signing. But I'm not really convinced that we will, unfortunately...

What are your expectations for the coming season?

My expectation is to finish in the top six with one domestic cup run as a bare minimum. We are generally the 5th highest spenders in terms of wages and net transfer fees and as such, 5th place is par; but we have to accept that the likes of Leicester, West Ham, Southampton and, in particular, Tottenham have all massively progressed as football clubs over the last few years and frankly are probably being run better off the pitch, too.

However, they will all have European football to contend with, and we arguably have a bigger and better squad than all of them as things stand. To finish behind one of them plus the usual suspects would be no disgrace, providing there is tangible progress on the pitch, but to finish below them all again would be.

I want to see us replicate our best performances against the bigger sides last season more consistently against weaker sides, chiefly so that we can attain a better points haul but also enjoy football more again.

In the last two seasons, without checking the stats, I feel we have gone back to being a bit of a big game club again, with complacency and a general lack of creativity stifling us against the weaker sides (although it should be stressed that the weaker sides are getting stronger & more organised, something which The Anfield Wrap don't seem to acknowledge all too often). Rodgers had made great progress on this front.

If we are to move forward as a club, this needs to change; a couple of key additions in midfield/attacking midfield will be crucial to help us dictate the tempo of football matches and beat defenders in tight areas.

Winning the League Cup or FA Cup is always realistic for a club of our size, particularly with no European football on the cards. It's a nonsense to suggest otherwise - Man Utd last season, for example, only had to beat West Ham from within the top half to lift the FA Cup.

I'd be looking to play the kids and back-ups in one of the two, and play full-strength in the other. Fixture congestion generally seems to be worse in the second half of the season, while league momentum seems more achievable then, too, so I'd be well up for another League Cup run myself. Our first-team squad should be more than able to handle 45 games.

As for top four, if Leicester can win the league, then there's no reason we can't sustain a top four push. However, I know this is said most summers, but I genuinely think the big clubs will mostly be stronger next season. Mourinho, Guardiola and Conte are all exceptional managers and I can't see the complacency and mediocrity which has set in at those financial powerhouses lasting for long. It will be tough. I'd consider City & Arsenal pretty much top four shoe-in's again, so it leaves us fighting for two places, and we have no idea how good Chelsea & United will be at this stage.

Definite blessing, if only so we don't play Sunday every bloody week. I love some Saturday football, me.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:29:45 pm by bcurtis92 »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Good season: Top Four, Good cup run. Win a Cup.

OK Season. Get into Europa League, good cup run.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
Top four.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I wish to see a goalkeeper who adds to the team, defenders who are actually good at their jobs and defend, midfielders who build the play and strikers who finish consistently. No glaring weaknesses in all 4 areas, which we had to carry last season. That needs fixing with the help of the transfer market, we are perhaps halfway there with Karius and Matip, then it would be great to see a side more coherent in the build-up. If you observe keenly enough you can get an idea of what our final results will be by the way we shape up at the end of August, both personnel and movement on the pitch. I just hope we don't shoot ourselves in the foot again by doing poor work in the market.

It's a lot to ask for perfection, but if we get most things right, and Klopp is as good as most think he is, we should be challenging for the champions league spots till the end at least and challenge for a trophy. No Europe, all the time Klopp and his staff need to coach and for the players to recharge.

Offline curled...brilliantly!

• Kemlynite
Top four would be great. We need more than Klopps magic to get it though.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
Top 4 and a good cup run.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Challenging for top four and a cup would be a sign of improvement and a good season. I think Klopp will have a very good transfer window this summer and we might not necessarily start off brilliantly, but I think we'll see definite improvement in many ways next season.

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
As we are only competing in 3 competitions this year (all domestic too, of course), a trophy and a finish in one of the Champions League places is what I am expecting. We've got the manager for it, hopefully the players are up to it.
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
A trophy. Simple as that.
Believe

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Top four and a strong push for at least one trophy.

We're doing the right thing in letting Klopp make the decisions in regards to recruitment, he is choosing the players that he believes will add to and improve what he's building here.  In spite of some of the incessant whinging, I think it's an exciting time for the club as Klopp's squad begins to take shape.

Not being in the Europa League will help us but hopefully this is the last season for a while that we don't have European football.

Good times are ahead for us.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We're gonna win the Sixtuple.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
What about a minimum expectation? Personally i think a good season would be top four but I wouldnt take much solace if we came below that.

Personally i think we have to get 68/70 points minimum.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Baffles me when people say minimum target is a cup run.

What if we get Arsenal away in the 3rd round of the league cup, and Man City away in the 3rd round of the FA Cup? With the league we know exactly what fixtures we have. Cups are pot luck, if we get two ridiculously tough early ties then its stupid to suggest a cup run is a minimum achievement.

Just sit back and let it happen. We've got the right guy in charge, just try and enjoy it.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What about a minimum expectation? Personally i think a good season would be top four but I wouldnt take much solace if we came below that.

Personally i think we have to get 68/70 points minimum.

I think judgement of the circumstances and a points target are more useful than setting in stone a final position as a bare minimum. A manager could finish 5 th in differing circumstances, for example limp home in that position after not seizing chance after chance to improve v being in a tight top 5 pack for the entire season with decent results but miss out in the end. I would take encouragement from the latter, concern from the former. Obviously if you finish 5th, 5th and 5th whatever the conditions he's very likely gone but for his first proper season with 2 cup finals behind him he's got the time and the calm to work in peace. Hopefully!

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Seeing as the transfer window is not giving us much to shout about at the moment I thought I'd start a similar thread to my last one, as it was very interesting to hear everyone's different outlooks.

Same premise as last seasons thread.

For me I think a trophy is a must. I don't care which one, just something. 10 years with 1 league cup to show for it is very very poor considering the players and managers we've had since the 2006 FA Cup win. So in my view, winning something is what Liverpool FC need to do this coming season. Some will say top 4 instead and so I'm interested to hear what the consensus is!

What do you think?

My expectation is for Klopp to improve the players he had last year, or more accurately them show that improvement and build on the positive performances they gave and cut out the inconsistency of the performances. Basically I want them to demonstrate there maximum every game instead of every other game.

A good season would be top four and a trophy, not one or the other but both. We have no Europe, we have less games,  we are better prepared or will be come August. We have a great manager and one that supposedly gets backing so whether we sign class players or not, we can't have any excuses.

I don't expect to challenge for the league. That's the season after.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I don't think winning a cup is a long shot either, we reached two last season. We will be better prepared

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
Winning a trophy,FA Cup would be great.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Title and CL double.  Sack him if he fails.  8) ;)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
Lot of things gonna change between now and the start of the season, so hard to make any call on it at the moment.

Yeah, opinions may change significantly depending upon the targets identified, those who choose to join us, and those current players who leave. For now, I would say that Klopp will be looking for consistency, progression and a deeper adoption of his methodology. I'm tempted to pay attention to the Deloitte list, but when you consider Newcastle United are at number 17 on it I think that tells you all you need to know about the relative importance of that list (i.e not relevant in PL terms).

But having said that, and purely for a bit of fun, let's have a laugh with a prediction anyway. We're in a situation where 2 of our main rivals have new managers, who don't have any PL experience at all. I'd expect a resurgence from United and City, with Arsenal in the mix for top 4 as always. Chelsea will again have a mixed season (I think they're entering their 90's LFC phase), and Spurs are too unpredictable to think of. Leicester, well, they won't get away with what they did last year, but they'll get top 7 or 8. Plus the one thing they have in common with all of the other teams is they have Europe to contend with.

We don't. Which is why I'm thinking something similar to 13/14 may be on the cards, minus the maniac from Uruguay of course. I don't think we'll win it, but I can see us pinching top 4. Of course, this time last year everyone said Leicester would be cannon fodder and relegated.....

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
Realistically top 4 has to be the mandate. Anything less will be disappointing.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
I've been supporting the club for 50+ years and I've begun each season expecting to win the league (except 2, under the Owl and Rodger's final season). I suppose I'm confusing optimism with reality but when you have supported Liverpool under Shankly, Paisley it sort of becomes what Liverpool should be doing. I have huge faith in Klopp so it's the league for me, but I'll accept a fight for the title.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
I don't think being without Europe is necessarily going to be an advantage. How many teams since the start of the premier league have challenged for the title without any European football for instance? How many have qualified for the CL? I do think a top four finish is achievable in saying that. I just don't think it'll be easy as some think. Just got to make sure we get more right in the transfer market than, City, Utd, Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham and Leicester though.

For me, a real go at breaking into the top four(hopefully getting into it) and a trophy win would be acceptable. Anything less would be really disappointing. Anything more...Well...I'd be absolutely ecstatic.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:50:11 pm by Hemorrhaging Tony Giamatti »

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
With the 3 signings already in, a proper pre season and plenty of time on the training pitch I expect at least 15 to 20 more points than last season and see where that gets us.

Stop dropping points from a winning position, find better consistency throughout the season and finding a way to beat the teams we should be beating and we won't be far off that target.

On our day last season we were unbeatable, nobody could touch us so we aren't far off where we need to be so I'm going into the season confident we'll be there or thereabouts come May.

What happens in the Cups is pot luck, get some decent draws and there's no reason we can't win something.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
Winning the premier league title  :)  but realistically i would say finishing in 4th place. We need to get back in the champions league as soon as possible for a number of reasons.

Offline klopptilyoudrop

• Kemlynite
    • Ryan Watts
We'll be knocking on the door of the top four, I'm confident of that. That's the minimum.

I'm very optimistic about the progress of the team next season. Klopp goes into it with seven months' experience in the Premier League and he'll have the summer to instil ideas into his squad, as well as a week between fixtures during the campaign. We have to make the most of the time and we really will. I'm anticipating a significantly improved style of play going into the second half of the season and I can't wait to see how we do.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
I`m extremely optimistic for the next season.

I could easily write an essay on why I`m so convinced we`re gonna win the league next season because there are so many reasons for it but in short I think if Klopp is ever gonna produce a miracle it`s gonna be early in his reign while his players look at him like God as they`ve already seen last season how he can help them compete and achieve things that didn`t look possible when he took over.

To take over a group of players in October who were so terribly low on confidence and to take them to a European cup final and make them one of the better performing teams in the league in the last third of the campaign was nothing short of outstanding. I expect that trend to continue next  season and if we get that wide forward we`re after we`ll have him, Origi, Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge and Ings which is a very respectable group of forwards capable of scoring the amount of goals we need to be up there in the mix and prevail eventually as they`ll be under Klopp`s tutelage.

I haven`t been this excited and optimistic about a new season in a very long time.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
A 'good' season is a cup or getting in the top 4.

But the minimum we need to do is challenge for the top 4. Too many good teams in the PL to demand definitely getting in. But we need to be right there in the last couple of weeks. To be totally out of it is just unacceptable. Also don't get knocked out of a cup at home or lose away to a lesser opponent.

I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline EFoley1991

• Kopite
Domestic Triple

Offline Sibierski Nazário

• Extremely precious about CR7
  • Kopite
Top 6 and a trophy would be good, don't want to place unnecessary expectations on Klopp.   Top 4 or anything above will be a bonus.

Plus it could be a very close season where the top 5-6 are only apart by 7-8 points, so it's pretty difficult to measure it on position alone.
Greatzman >3
AUbamumyingyang >3

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
League, league cup and FA cup treble ta