Author Topic: PHILIPPE COUTINHO: THE MAN WHO ESCAPED PURGATORY  (Read 147972 times)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PHILIPPE COUTINHO: THE MAN WHO ESCAPED PURGATORY
« Reply #600 on: September 25, 2016, 02:39:49 am »
He's on another level. People might still complain about his shooting, but he is the best player we have. Absolutely sensational in his vision, eye for goal and movement. Plus, his defending from the front has got so much more effective. Some of his pressing and resulting combination play with Milner and Gini was sublime.

Magician. Its nuts that people even think about benching him. Nuts.

Can't say much more really. Our game dropped a couple of levels when Lallana and Coutinho went off. Coutinho is our superstar and everyone in the squad seems to know that. Everyone around the squad seems to know that too. Suarez, Stevie, and Carra off the top of my head have all said that he's the guy the team looks to when the going gets tough. They've said that since Suarez left the team. And he's only starting to get better now, and he's not even really at his personal best yet.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #601 on: September 25, 2016, 02:42:20 am »
A major difference is that most of his are the same kind of shot, whereas Gerrard scored every type of goal, including volleys, half volleys, crazy bullet shots, free kicks, dribbles, etc.

You're not wrong there, although it's probably not the place for that discussion. I personally think a montage of Gerrard's goals will match any player ever. As you say, he scored every type of goal.

Coutinho isn't as dynamic physically as Gerrard, but his vision and technique are just as good.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #602 on: September 25, 2016, 02:43:23 am »
4 goals and 3 assists in 7 games. Another goal of the season contender. He's reaching yet another level, still just turned 24.
They said his days were numbered! They said he shouldn't play against plucky minnows! That he should be on the bench! They said he wastes opportunities! That he should stop it with the long range "efforts"!...

Philippe Coutinho!
Philippe Coutinho!

and so on and so forth...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:34:01 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: September 25, 2016, 04:03:46 am »
Football is all about joy for me.  These days I try not to get caught up in any of the negative debates some fans seem to enjoy getting themselves in to.  It's meant to be fun and this guy brings it. 

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #604 on: September 25, 2016, 08:54:22 am »
Think his greatest legacy may well be the generation of young scouse kids that want to be him. Skilful, strong, fit, loyal, genuinely decent, looks good with no flashiness... can't ask for any more than that!

Always punching above his weight too, which is really inspiring for youngsters

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #605 on: September 25, 2016, 09:06:26 am »
Always punching above his weight too, which is really inspiring for youngsters
I disagree. A player considered the best in the squad is expected of that level of performance.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: September 25, 2016, 09:15:28 am »
Think he just needs to start burying his chances around six to twelve yards out to complete his game.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: September 25, 2016, 09:17:54 am »
I disagree. A player considered the best in the squad is expected of that level of performance.

I meant, he's not a big brute of an athlete. Much more relateable to kids

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #608 on: September 25, 2016, 09:27:24 am »
Think he just needs to start burying his chances around six to twelve yards out to complete his game.

Could have had a hat-trick today. Someone mentioned earlier that Gerrard scores more different kinds of goals. That's true, but I think Coutinho is starting to introduce different kinds of finishes to his locker.

So far this season we've seen:

- Curling direct free kick vs Arsenal
- Shinned tap-in vs Arsenal
- Neat side-foot from 12 yards vs. Derby, and
- Classic Coutinho long ranger to top right corner vs Hull

Against Hull, he also got into the area a good bit more, and had that opportunity to stab into an empty net before the first goal. He also volleyed into the ground and straight at the keeper from 18 yards

So I think we're going to see a lot of variety in Coutinho's goals in the season (and hopefully many seasons) to come.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #609 on: September 25, 2016, 09:49:38 am »
He was majestic yesterday. Not sure if it was a tactical instruction for him to roam so much and so deep in the first half though. Although so long as he keeps picking out those passes and making late runs then it's alright, because he'll get the goals.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #610 on: September 29, 2016, 01:49:43 pm »
There's a great article on Thisisanfield with Ian Ayre discussing some insights into our transfer negotiations. And he had a little something to say about our Phil:

Excerpts:

“I have loved working with the managers hired in my time as MD: Jurgen [Klopp], Kenny Dalglish and Brendan Rodgers,” he said, reflecting on a long spell with his boyhood club.

“I have also loved being involved in transfers, the buying and selling of big players.

“We always approach the transfer window with the same objectives, to do the best we can do and as efficiently as possible.

“We have good windows and bad windows but it’s other influences that often dictate how well it goes.

“You win some and you lose some but there have been highs and lows.”

Continuing to detail his time involved with the club’s transfer activity, Ayre touched upon the “highs and lows,” naming one current creative star as his headline signing.

“My favourites signings have included Philippe Coutinho,” he revealed.

“I remember sitting in the corridors of Inter Milan for the CEO for what felt like five days, trying to convince him to sell Coutinho to us.

“And then jetting him back to Liverpool in time for him to sign before transfer deadline day.

“Of course, there are some signings that unfortunately don’t come off but the experiences you never forget.

“[Like] sitting in the Ukraine the day war broke out, trying to sign Ukrainian Yevhen Konoplyanka which sadly never got done because of the selling club.”

Ayre’s time as CEO will remain soured by previous failures to many supporters, but as the likes of Coutinho, Firmino, Sadio Mane and Daniel Sturridge attest, a lot of the business conducted under his watch his been more positive of late.

Title "Liverpool have “good windows and bad windows”, but Philippe Coutinho stands out" by  Jack Lusby.

Link for the full article:

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/09/liverpool-good-windows-bad-windows-philippe-coutinho-stands-ayre/

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: September 30, 2016, 06:54:39 pm »
Really looking forward to seeing Phil run out again on the weekend. That's what this is all about - seeing your heroes winning for Liverpool FC :scarf

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #612 on: September 30, 2016, 07:19:16 pm »
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exclusive-coutinho-liverpool-feels-like-11962434#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Coutinho - Liverpool feels like home and my best is yet to come

This is one of those rare occasions when Liverpool’s little magician doesn’t know which way to turn.

Philippe Coutinho thinks long and hard, leaning back in his chair at a sun-kissed Melwood, before finally making his selection. His back catalogue is packed with stunning strikes but which one does he cherish above all the rest?

“It’s not easy to pick one because every goal is so special to me,” Coutinho told the ECHO.

“It’s difficult to describe the feeling of scoring. But if I had to pick one then I’d go for the goal at Old Trafford last season. That was a nice goal against United.

“It came at an important point in the game against one of our big rivals and it swung the tie in our favour.

“My wife was there watching and she told me that our supporters were singing my name throughout half-time. That was great to hear.”
Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho scores his side's first goal of the game during the UEFA Europa League match at Old Trafford, Manchester. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Thursday March 17, 2016. See PA story SOCCER Man Utd. Photo credit should read: Martin Rickett/PA Wire

That spellbinding moment in the second leg of the last 16 of the Europa League was classic Coutinho - scampering away down the left, outfoxing Guillermo Varela and dinking an exquisite finish past David De Gea.

His 12-goal haul last season was his best for the Reds but he has kicked on impressively so far this term. Coutinho has been a driving force for Jurgen Klopp’s free-scoring side in their impressive start to the campaign.

He leads the way with four goals - taking his Liverpool tally to 32 in 152 appearances - but insists there’s plenty more to come from him.

“Maybe this is the best I’ve played but I still think I can improve,” he said.

“This is just the start. I always want to improve and do better.

“I want to be an important player for this team. I want to help my team-mates to achieve great things.”
I feel happy, settled and comfortable here

In January it will be four years since Coutinho arrived at Anfield in a £8.5million move from Inter Milan. It has been proved to be one of the most shrewd pieces of business Liverpool have done in the Premier League era.

His future was the subject of speculation in the summer amid talk of interest from Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona. But there was never any danger of the 24-year-old, who is under contract until 2020, moving on. There is a bond between Coutinho and the Kop which won’t be broken easily.

“Liverpool feels like my home,” Coutinho said.

“I feel happy, settled and comfortable here with the city and the people.

“It’s an amazing city. I enjoy going to the cinema with my wife and to restaurants in town.

“The supporters are very nice. Hearing people singing my name, it inspires me. The fans here make me feel amazing.

“They give all the players confidence. They are there for us in every game.”

Coutinho’s struggles at Inter Milan after leaving Rio de Janeiro and moving to Europe at the age of 18 are an increasingly distant memory.

His wife Aine has been with him every step of the way. The childhood sweethearts met at a party when he was just 14. When Coutinho scores, it’s Aine he looks for in the stand.

“She has been so important for me. She is always there for me,” he said.

“She stopped everything in Brazil to come to Europe for me. I have been very lucky to have her help and support. I am very grateful for what she’s done for me.
Liverpool FC vs Hull City at Anfield. Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho scores the fourth goal and celebrates with teammates. Photo by Colin Lane

“If I don’t have a good game and I go home not too happy, she talks with me.”

Coutinho is dedicated both to his profession and his family. His array of tattoos include tributes to Aine, his parents and his brothers Cristiano and Leandro.

This summer there was a new addition as during some time off in Rio after the Copa America he had the image of their daughter Maria inked on his right arm. She will celebrate her first birthday in December.
Everything I do is for my family

Maria is now a regular at Anfield with Coutinho taking her out on the pitch with him before the Premier League clash with Tottenham back in April.

“Whenever my wife comes to watch, Maria comes along too,” Coutinho said.

“She brought me luck against Tottenham as I scored in that game. I will have to take her on to the pitch with me more often! At the moment she doesn’t understand anything but in a few years she will understand.
Philippe Coutinho of Liverpool celebrates his goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur at Anfield on April 2, 2016 (Photo by John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)

“Everything I do is for my family. Every December my parents come here for Christmas and I visited them in Rio after the Copa America.

“Whenever I go back, my family and friends are always in the airport to greet me. My house is always full of people. Maybe 20 or more.

“I speak to my mother and father regularly. They watch every game and send messages to me before we play.”

They will be up early in Rio on Saturday morning in order to watch Coutinho in action against Swansea City at the Liberty Stadium.

It was against the Swans that he opened his Liverpool account in a 5-0 victory at Anfield in February 2013.

Since then he has accumulated an array of personal accolades. He has swept the board at the club’s annual awards for the past two seasons.

But the silverware he truly craves has eluded him. There have been some agonising near misses such as the Premier League title challenge of 2013/14, as well as defeat in the finals of the League Cup and the Europa League last term.

“What I really want is to lift the trophies for this club,” he said.

“That’s the most important thing. You want to look back at the end of your career and think about what you have won.

“We have been so close but we don’t want this any more. We don’t want to just go close. We want to take that next step. Every day we work hard in training to get there.”
Klopp has changed the mentality of the group

Coutinho credits Klopp with taking his game to the next level over the past 12 months and is excited about the potential of the squad the manager has assembled.

He knows better than to make any bold predictions at this stage but admits the Reds have a perfect platform to build on.

“Jurgen has helped me to develop a lot as a player,” Coutinho added.

“I really enjoy working with this manager. He has given me a lot of confidence.
Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho with Jurgen Klopp. Photo by Colin Lane

“The team plays differently now. We play high pressure football. This style suits us and this manager is so important for Liverpool.

“I believe in this squad. The manager has changed a lot. He has changed the mentality of the group.

“We are in a good way. We have a good team, but we have to show it every day and in every game.

“We can’t look too far ahead. We have to take it step by step, game by game. Maybe at the end we can win.”

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: September 30, 2016, 10:20:04 pm »
“My wife was there watching and she told me that our supporters were singing my name throughout half-time. That was great to hear.”

One of my favourite moments at the game ever that. 15 minutes straight of the entire end bouncing to the Coutinho song, with flares and smoke bombs as depressed mancs sulk off to the toilets
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Iloveyoumamadou

• Main Stander
« Reply #614 on: October 1, 2016, 02:25:26 pm »
My man of the match, just brilliant.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #615 on: October 1, 2016, 02:28:07 pm »
Man of the match. Shades of  a young Iniesta in midfield, twisting and turning, creating chances and relentless winning the ball back.

Since the last international break he's been wandering to the right and centre, and now Klopp played him deep centrally. Hopefully more of that to come because I'd love to see Sturridge or Origi leading the line with Firmino Coutinho and Mane in behind as an alternative to what we've been playing. We've seen it at work today and it can only get better once Sturridge turns his frown upside down and livens up a bit.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #616 on: October 1, 2016, 02:29:02 pm »
Been wanting to see Coutinho in midfield for a while now and he didn't disappoint. Thought he was fantastic.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #617 on: October 1, 2016, 02:34:04 pm »
Just can`t believe how good he is. Wow.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #618 on: October 1, 2016, 02:34:11 pm »
Was playing like a true playmaker today, intelligent and patient.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #619 on: October 1, 2016, 02:34:33 pm »
Awful first half. Absolutely brilliant second half.
Believe

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: October 1, 2016, 02:36:31 pm »
Yes was going to say - the second half was night and day.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: October 1, 2016, 02:38:44 pm »
He's really good in the midfield 3.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: October 1, 2016, 02:47:00 pm »
Controversial opinion coming but I think he's almost a bit wasted in a midfield three and doesn't have the positional awareness to play there in a tough game. But fucking hell, he tries. Constantly put in tackles, chased, harried and then twisted, turned, accelerated and passed. He was absolutely brilliant and got us playing.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Deo

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #623 on: October 1, 2016, 02:47:52 pm »
The new Makelele, lol!

Can anyone confirm the number of tackles and interceptions he made today? I swear he broke some kind of record lol...
"Our fans cannot give red cards or award penalties, but they can score goals." - Rafa Benitez

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #624 on: October 1, 2016, 02:49:39 pm »
He'd be alright if he didn't cost that much money...

Shame that layoff didn't go in, I though it was a goal.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #625 on: October 1, 2016, 02:49:52 pm »
Controversial opinion coming but I think he's almost a bit wasted in a midfield three and doesn't have the positional awareness to play there in a tough game.
He doesn`t have the stamina to play there in the long-term. Only way is to pick particular games to play him as no.8.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: October 1, 2016, 03:39:30 pm »
He doesn`t have the stamina to play there in the long-term. Only way is to pick particular games to play him as no.8.

It is a great option for us to have during a game mind you. So good in that area of the pitch.

Offline Koprich

• Fan categorisation police.
  • Kopite
« Reply #627 on: October 1, 2016, 03:41:13 pm »
Thought he played really well in the second half but the git didn't bag me any fpl points  ;D

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #628 on: October 1, 2016, 03:42:25 pm »
It is a great option for us to have during a game mind you. So good in that area of the pitch.
Sure but Lallana and Gini in their roles made us one of the two best midfields in the league, so I wouldn`t hurry to break that up.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #629 on: October 1, 2016, 03:56:52 pm »

I disagree. He can run, harass and tackle plenty. Don't forget he played in midfield when we came second in the league. He's been ever improving as well.  A joy to watch in midfield today. I can't wait to see more of him there.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #630 on: October 1, 2016, 03:59:33 pm »
He was a joy to watch in the second half, and he took a lot of rough treatment, which the officials did little about. 
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #631 on: October 1, 2016, 04:01:05 pm »
Monster 2nd half from him. Bodes well for the Coutinho in midfield ultras

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: October 1, 2016, 04:01:53 pm »

Not sure it's worth having him as a no.8, when he could play further up the pitch or in a free role. We could easily go in with a Can and Hendo midfield as that brings the required physicality and should free up the third midfielder to really become an attacker. He was magnificent with his tackling, dribbling and passing, though. It was only the tactical side that wasn't quite up to scratch but that is to be expected.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: October 1, 2016, 04:07:19 pm »
He'll be wasted playing deeper when his primary strengths are in leading the attack. Leave that to Henderson or Can who would run themselves to the ground doing nothing but fight for ownership the space in front of the defence.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #634 on: October 1, 2016, 04:11:52 pm »
Not sure it's worth having him as a no.8, when he could play further up the pitch or in a free role. We could easily go in with a Can and Hendo midfield as that brings the required physicality and should free up the third midfielder to really become an attacker. He was magnificent with his tackling, dribbling and passing, though. It was only the tactical side that wasn't quite up to scratch but that is to be expected.

The idea is, Coutinho in midfield gives us yet another facet for certain games. Or even within a game like it happened today. He's on fire, assisting and scoring plenty in a front 3. That's where he should play the most, but if we need it, we can always drop him deeper. Or even something a little less drastic like last week against Hull, let him go to the right side so Mane and/or Firmino can go left, and vice-versa. I'm glad Klopp is doing it, it's been working.

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #635 on: October 1, 2016, 04:55:45 pm »
Some player. And versatile too. Not really in the game until Lallana went off injured, though. Then, both him and Firmino started to effect the game more. Although, Firmino is starting to mess with my affections for the lad, he's playing so well!  ;D
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #636 on: October 1, 2016, 04:57:48 pm »
Thought he played really well in the second half but the git didn't bag me any fpl points  ;D

What's an FPL point? We got 3.

Isn't it called the PL now that Barclays have terminated the relationship?
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: October 1, 2016, 05:08:31 pm »
What's an FPL point? We got 3.

Isn't it called the PL now that Barclays have terminated the relationship?
Fantasy Premier League.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #638 on: October 2, 2016, 07:53:05 am »
Coutinho vs Swansea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apIlsfErI0c

Courtesy of MrBoyWunder

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #639 on: October 2, 2016, 08:37:37 am »
Lovely second half. Stepped up to the party.

If the shot went in from Gigi's layoff, it would have been world class.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.