Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1757928 times)

Offline PoetryInMotion96

• Anny Roader
  • His First Name Is Lucas
Re: Let's Improve the Atmosphere at Anfield (split from Fortress Anfield)
« Reply #6400 on: September 25, 2016, 11:34:12 am »
Yep, at 5-1 you couldn't blame the crowd for sitting back and lighting up a cigar (or similar!). In truth, the crowd were hardly needed. The team were in demolition mode that first half, seemed like they would barely have even noticed.... although the positive mood, the regular and loud spontaneous applause and the general appreciation of the good things that were happening certainly did no harm.

The fact that the overall mood is such a vast improvement on this time last year means the team will get the support it needs when it needs it the most. It's the difference between believing they're good enough to turn a tricky situation round (we now know they are) and the feeling of 'oh no here we go again'.

'One game at a time' is back. And that's a good thing.

:thumbsup no one has mentioned that yet, the obvious. as we all know these were the games that we all have dreaded over the last few seasons and agreed 1 game at a time is how im taking it and its nice, not sure about some of the wools on 5live yesterday though  :duh :duh

Offline Brunswickred

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6401 on: September 25, 2016, 02:27:46 pm »
Was in 126 / row 19 in the Anny Rd Lower. Thought the atmosphere around the ground was pretty good until we went three up. Obviously it's hard to judge when you're in it but the LA seemed better than previous years. Obviously there is a fair amount of locals there as the local members sale is 126/127 and have got to say kudos to the lads in the row or two behind me who didn't stop getting songs going / keeping them going for virtually the whole game, mad how much a gang of three of four enthusiastic (and mildly inebriated!) lads sat together can make a difference in that specific area. Seemed to be a fair few lads having a good go from right back in the corner of the Anny as well. There was a few times you could hear a section of the upper main getting something going but it either didn't travel that well or it was only one block (cheap seats towards the corner?) on their own.

Despite the above was still surprised by the amount of these tickets that seemed to have made their way into the hands of non-locals / camera whoppers. Am I wrong in thinking most of 126/127 is local members sales or is there normal members sale ones in there as well? Fella next to me posted videos of You'll Never Walk Alone while it was still ongoing & Milner slotting his pen on Facebook during the celebrations rather than actually celebrating himself. Very odd people.

To the people getting off on 84' and onwards, if players gave 93.3% effort on the pitch would you think that was acceptable? Would you fuck. You'd be the first people bitching and moaning about how they aren't fit to wear the shirt etc. In my book, you aren't fit to call yourself a Liverpool supporter if you're pulling that shit on anything other than a very rare occasion due to extenuating circumstances. Stay & support the team right until the final whistle (and after if performance/result dictates). I just don't get it at all.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6402 on: September 25, 2016, 02:43:11 pm »
Why is footy also no long about footy and having a good time any more? A lad in front of me was checking on his phone when the next sale dates were for the next game with his mate. They spent over 5 minutes doing this. I don't know how to articulate it - but footy has become more about being seen to be interested, than actually interested. You could say them lads had maybe gone the first game, got the bug and wanted to go again. Maybe true. I saw it as more of a status thing - more interested in the thought of it than actually doing it, because whilst they were doing it, it was more interesting the thought of doing it again.

Yes was quite a bit of that in 305 ongoing as well. Loads of people checking SkySports Score Centre and Facebook. FFS there's a live game going on infront of you. You'll hear the other scores at HT / FT!

I don't get it

Offline Seismic

• Main Stander
« Reply #6403 on: September 25, 2016, 02:48:49 pm »
To all that left early... Please stay at home next time.

Offline Brunswickred

• Main Stander
« Reply #6404 on: September 25, 2016, 02:56:11 pm »
Yes was quite a bit of that in 305 ongoing as well. Loads of people checking SkySports Score Centre and Facebook. FFS there's a live game going on in front of you. You'll hear the other scores at HT / FT!
I don't get it

Think it is the fairly modern obsession / popularity of fantasy footie that has a bit to do with this, though I agree it's ridiculous. Lads behind me were checking scores during the game and were made up when Aguero got his second as he was in their fantasy team - not a word mentioned about the two points that it would give to a direct rival in the league.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6405 on: September 25, 2016, 04:35:10 pm »
I think the bit about aguero scoring shows how things have changed from the 80s an early 90s, lets face it the modern fans are aliens compared to the fans on the terraces back then.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Yozza1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6406 on: September 25, 2016, 08:32:22 pm »
Liverbird upon my chest got a good airing 2nd half in the top of the kop

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #6407 on: September 25, 2016, 09:07:07 pm »
Think it is the fairly modern obsession / popularity of fantasy footie that has a bit to do with this, though I agree it's ridiculous. Lads behind me were checking scores during the game and were made up when Aguero got his second as he was in their fantasy team - not a word mentioned about the two points that it would give to a direct rival in the league.

Yep the lad next to me when I moved was pretty loud and pretty sound but was made up when aguero scored. Couldn't believe it the twat.

And the more I think about yesterday the more I think the people who wanted to sit down were lads in the 55+ bracket. Fair enough it's harder to stand for 90 minutes at that age but if that's the case just move to a different stand. Plus when it got interesting they had no problem standing with the rest of us.

If there was rail seating they'd have something to lean on, so get that going asap.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6408 on: September 25, 2016, 10:53:59 pm »

The fact that every man and his dog has Aguero in their FF team is no cause for celebration anyhow.

Anyhow, more to the point,  how the fuck did they get an internet signal inside Anfield?

Glad I couldn't get a signal as I needed a single Everton goal for £200 and I would have felt mighty ashamed to have wanted them to score while inside Anfield. 

Useless fucking blue shites :no

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6409 on: September 25, 2016, 11:43:36 pm »
As mentioned above, those who regularly attended in the 70s and 80s will recall the many shite atmospheres especially when we repeatedly pummelled the opposition so it's nothing new.   As Roy Wood sung, " I wish I could be Christmas everday", the reality often is that this isn't the case and there are probably a dozen poor or average atmospheres for every exceptional one.   The second half on Saturday felt more like a pre season friendly.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #6410 on: September 26, 2016, 07:21:53 am »
As mentioned above, those who regularly attended in the 70s and 80s will recall the many shite atmospheres especially when we repeatedly pummelled the opposition so it's nothing new.   As Roy Wood sung, " I wish I could be Christmas everday", the reality often is that this isn't the case and there are probably a dozen poor or average atmospheres for every exceptional one.   The second half on Saturday felt more like a pre season friendly.

Thanks Andy - I was beginning to think the points I'd made which I'd say lie at the very heart of the entire debate about atmosphere were visible only to the person who'd made them.  :wave

Historically, I'd tend to go along with your ratio of a dozen to one although as you'll know yourself it really does depend on the particular circumstances and drama of each game as I'd pointed out.

Also I'd even extend the same principle right back to the '60's.

The Panorama special of the Kop singing 'She Loves You' and 'Anyone Who Had a Heart' and swaying like a cornfield did not happen every week. In fact I'd say it happened as cinematically and dramatically as in the documentary only that once - which just so happened to be that title clinching game against Arsenal at which they had the BBC Panorama TV team. I was at the game a week or so earlier when we pasted United 3-0 and there weren't scenes anything like the Arsenal game.

Which is not to say there was no atmosphere at that game or that as we approached the title winning climax there wasn't a heightened atmosphere. Nor does it lessen the uniqueness in terms of atmosphere that the Spion Kop introduced to the world back then. However, as you rightly say, even going back to the so-called great days of the Kop the great atmospheres much like today simply didn't come along like 26 buses.

The thing is if there weren't so many on this forum so ready to diss the current atmosphere then I'd love to ease off on labouring this point about shite atmospheres going right back to the '60's. I'd certainly prefer to bask in the glory of Anfield and the Kop always being amazing for every game even if the reality is that it wasn't. Add into the equation the pandering to the Dortmund yellow wall that has often permeated this thread. In my view there's only one great yellow wall and it's in fucking China. Big and colourful and impressive as it is, the artificial cheerleader megaphone led post 2005 Kloppie inspired version at Dortmund is exactly that in my eyes. Invented, imitative, bland and artificial. The Kop for all its many uninspired days was 100% organic and spontaneous. And it was within that intrinsic spirit of invention that its real uniqueness, magic , beauty and unparalleled magnificence lay.

So I say to those who can't seem to help themselves from expressing their disappointment whenever Anfield fails to live up to its reputation - which let's face it is most weeks - simply accept that waiting around the corner is a potential Inter Milan, St Ettienne, Auxerre, Chelsea or Dortmund - at which time the Reds, the fans and the planets will align to provide another chapter to add to the peerless bible of atmospheric uniqueness that is Anfield.

:)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:19:18 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #6411 on: September 26, 2016, 11:26:36 am »
Very true Timbo, very true.

"You're not gonna wave that thing in front of me are you?" Said to me by an old grizzled Scouser some time in 1976 when I first took our banner on to the Kop.

The "sit down and stop singing" brigade have always been in Anfield, even in its 'glory days'.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #6412 on: September 26, 2016, 01:20:47 pm »
Very true Timbo, very true.

"You're not gonna wave that thing in front of me are you?" Said to me by an old grizzled Scouser some time in 1976 when I first took our banner on to the Kop.

The "sit down and stop singing" brigade have always been in Anfield, even in its 'glory days'.

Er...

I've been meaning to apologise for that mate....

;D

Offline Ravi Bahia

• Boys Pen
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #6413 on: September 26, 2016, 01:48:15 pm »
Was in the Anfield Road End, Block 15 on Saturday and thought on the whole the first half was a decent atmosphere- mainly because we started quick and the players were pressing the fuck out of Hull. Poetry in motion seems to be the song that gets the loudest noise- both against Leicester and Hull it seemed like the whole ground was singing the song in union- which is how it should be!

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #6414 on: September 26, 2016, 01:58:13 pm »
I think the atmosphere feeds off the play on the pitch where it should actually be the other way around. In the last 30 when we took our foot off the gas the atmosphere went flat. The first half was immense though. Fields of anfield road doesn't get a roar like it used to, shame.
Seen us win everything

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #6415 on: October 12, 2016, 10:53:07 pm »
Should be a cracking atmosphere...the hatred of the opposing team comes out in this one!!

We have to start well again united, everyone needs to step up

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #6416 on: October 12, 2016, 11:09:05 pm »
Heading to kop block 203 for the Spurs game. Presume the atmosphere will be decent There? 

Been in the kop before just not at that side
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #6417 on: October 12, 2016, 11:17:27 pm »
Should be a cracking atmosphere...the hatred of the opposing team comes out in this one!!

You weren't there last season were you?

High fives, selfies, autographs as they were walking into the changing rooms ffs

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #6418 on: October 13, 2016, 12:50:30 am »
Hopefully everyone's had a few beers and get in there early. Hopefully a few pyro about as well.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6419 on: October 13, 2016, 08:25:12 am »
Hopefully everyone's had a few beers and get in there early. Hopefully a few pyro about as well.

I'll be on the beer from around 3pm and will be hoarse by half time  :D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #6420 on: October 13, 2016, 01:54:51 pm »
Poetry in motion seems to be the song that gets the loudest noise- both against Leicester and Hull it seemed like the whole ground was singing the song in union- which is how it should be!
Probably because it is the only song we have that is less than 5 years old and hasn't been heard about a thousand times before. We really need some new chants to get started this season.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline willfc

• Kopite
    • Anfield 96 blog
« Reply #6421 on: October 13, 2016, 02:05:41 pm »

High fives, selfies, autographs as they were walking into the changing rooms ffs

Liverpool fans getting selfies with De Gea, proper crease up
"I told my players during the break: Since we're here anyway, we might actually play a bit of football." - Jurgen Klopp

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #6422 on: October 13, 2016, 02:07:08 pm »

Haha no mate, I didn't go to the last PL match against them! I was on the kop for the Europa league match that was great!!

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6423 on: October 13, 2016, 04:13:25 pm »
Anyone who doesn't have a hoarse voice the next day hasn't sung enough, absolutely buzzing to get to Anfield on Monday, I cannot wait.

Given its a night game I really hope everyone gets in nice and early to create a good atmosphere before kickoff.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 04:19:34 pm by OzBomber »

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6424 on: October 13, 2016, 07:06:59 pm »
Brilliant posts, Timbo's Goals. :thumbup

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6425 on: October 13, 2016, 09:25:50 pm »
If you can't get the blood pumping for this game, I'd suggest you go to the nearest medical professional, to check you have a pulse.

This should be lung busting, ear splitting, as ferociously partisan as it gets.

Give them fuck all, and scare the shit out of them. 

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #6426 on: October 13, 2016, 10:50:08 pm »
If you can't get the blood pumping for this game, I'd suggest you go to the nearest medical professional, to check you have a pulse.

Amen to that.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #6427 on: October 14, 2016, 03:18:36 am »

I managed to get City and United on a mates card who has left the country and offered my brother to choose the one he wanted to go to.

Regretting that now :lmao

I so want to be there!!!!
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #6428 on: October 14, 2016, 07:18:17 am »

The league game last season against the mancs was shocking mate, the worst I`ve experienced and I walked out of Anfield feeling thoroughly dejected and ashamed, not for the result but for the performance of our "fans".

I was in the main stand at the road end, right next to the away and those c*nts abused us for the entire game and the main stand gave absolutely fuck all back, just sat there like meek little shithouses, I tried to have a go and was told to sit down more than once.

There was an Asian family in the row in front of me who spent the entire game with a multitude of devices filming the game, a French couple next to me, a couple of American lads further down the row and some other foreigners behind me. Not having a go at oots just highlighting the change in fanbase that seems to come out for the big games and it doesn`t help when you mix that with some old couldn't be arsed locals and it was a fucking shambles.

Contrast that with the Cup game against the mancs which was the way it should be - Vicious all round and those c*nts in the away end knew they were in for a game on and off the pitch.

Offline Anfieldite

• Main Stander
« Reply #6429 on: October 14, 2016, 09:28:19 am »
You know the way the back of the Kop is staggered so the middle two blocks are around 10-15 rows deeper than its outer blocks, which in turn are 10-15 rows deeper than the end blocks. How does this affect the atmosphere?

Does it improve it, if so in what way? Make it worse, again if so what way? Or maybe none?

How do people think it would have fared against a Kop that was an even number of rows all the way, and to make the comparison fair, still holding the same number of fans?

Genuine question, it will be interesting to see if the answer varies depending on what part of the Kop people are.
Thanks

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #6430 on: October 14, 2016, 06:10:50 pm »
Klopp presser today:

"I'm ready for the best atmosphere. We need EVERYBODY for this game, it for sure will help."

So from the bosses mouth. If you're not making an atmosphere, you're not helping.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6431 on: October 17, 2016, 10:34:15 pm »
Sounded flat on tv tonight. Could have been sky fucking around with the mics though I guess

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #6432 on: October 17, 2016, 11:31:12 pm »
Sounded flat on tv tonight. Could have been sky fucking around with the mics though I guess

Nope it was shit in the ground too. That's what happens when you have row after row after row of tourists with their liver world bags taping the whole thing on their damn camera.

New main stand can fuck off.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6433 on: October 17, 2016, 11:41:54 pm »
Was in 306 bit even from there you could tell that it never really got going around the Kop let alone the rest of the ground.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6434 on: October 17, 2016, 11:44:04 pm »
Nope it was shit in the ground too. That's what happens when you have row after row after row of tourists with their liver world bags taping the whole thing on their damn camera.

New main stand can fuck off.

Odd as everyone there should have had four games under their belt at least. Know the hospitality may not have but even so.

Disappointed to hear it was shite. Bring back the Europa league games!

Hopefully there'll be less tourists at west brom game.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6435 on: October 17, 2016, 11:44:22 pm »

Possibly. Although after about 140 seconds they came out with their Steven Gerrard song with a bit of gusto, very restrained of them to wait that long I know. It then sounded like it was drowned out by a lot of ironic cheering and laughing from the home fans, because, you know, he retired two years ago. And then when that had died down you heard them sing last bit of the song at about 30% of the volume it was previously.

I thought they'd just been shut up by having the piss taken, but maybe it was broadcasters playing with the crowd volume?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #6436 on: October 18, 2016, 12:15:53 am »
Was in 306 bit even from there you could tell that it never really got going around the Kop let alone the rest of the ground.

Yeah I was too, it clearly flattened out when people realised it was a Mourinho performance but the amount of people stood in silence for 90 minutes was just sad.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline willfc

• Kopite
    • Anfield 96 blog
« Reply #6437 on: October 18, 2016, 12:39:20 am »
It sounded good before the game kicked off, thought it'd be a cracking atmopshere on TV, but it just died from what I could hear - do you think with it being a Monday night game, ticket prices and the new main stand could be an issue? I'll list my reasons:

MNF - Monday night, i had tickets, I had 4 games from last season but just impossible to get back home after the game due to certain circumstances. Could this be another reason why it sounded flat? Not because of me but because late game, a lot of fans from outside the city can't get to the game and therefore selling their ticket on to these bloody tourists?

Ticket prices - you look at prem prices compared to the europa prices last season. It's almost half in some areas of the ground, do you think with the high ticket price level this might have been an issue with still another 2 games coming up? You could argue the europa league game last season was a bigger game, therefore better atmopshere etc, but is the prices still an issue with it being a monday night game? Might be getting myself confused, but do quote me.

Main stand - you've seen it happen with West Ham. Some fans have complained that too far away from the pitch, therefore lose the atmopshere like the main stand upper might struggle with? With comparison to West Ham, altoutgh it's improved our stature as a club and we're moving forward, has it made the ground too modern?

Thoughts.
"I told my players during the break: Since we're here anyway, we might actually play a bit of football." - Jurgen Klopp

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #6438 on: October 18, 2016, 12:41:54 am »
You could hear the sky director boost the away fans sound levels after a couple of minutes. They then held it there. Never heard mixing as blatant as that before.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6439 on: October 18, 2016, 12:46:39 am »
You could hear the sky director boost the away fans sound levels after a couple of minutes. They then held it there. Never heard mixing as blatant as that before.

They do it every year during this fixture, its nothing new