Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3305458 times)

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #14600 on: September 29, 2016, 08:59:53 pm »
Ok
Mate, it wasn't The Pink, alright?

Let it go.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #14601 on: September 29, 2016, 09:05:42 pm »
Mate, it wasn't The Pink, alright?

Let it go.
Too late...I'm on the roof and nothing's talking me down.

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14602 on: September 29, 2016, 10:25:26 pm »
Too late...I'm on the roof and nothing's talking me down.
;D
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #14603 on: September 29, 2016, 10:36:36 pm »
Strewth...that's a lot of fivers.

As much as we'd love 100,000 subscribers, it was for the free show, our first baby.
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline Brunswickred

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14604 on: September 30, 2016, 08:11:43 am »
Was just wondering. What happened to the lads who used to contribute to the wrap at the very start? I've listened since the beginning and remember guys like Jim Boardman and Kristian Walsh. Why don't they contribute anymore?

Couldn't stand Boardman. What happened to Nick O'Prey, always found he was very considered and pretty knowledgable?

Offline PaulSenior

• Main Stander
  • And its off to the match we go...
« Reply #14605 on: September 30, 2016, 08:14:00 am »
I said after Burnley I was concerned it would get to October, and we would be out of contention, because of silly results like Burnley.

I said, I'd had thoughts in my head about these results being too frequent. Let's not pretend that we haven't had some really bad results against shite sides under Klopp please. It's ok sitting here now thinking everything's wonderful,, I was talking about post Burnley, that it's not not unreasonable to question how many of these results you're allowed before he's open to criticism.

I can just sit there and agree  with everything the host says if you want, be a pretty shite show though

Couldn't disagree more with Paul Senior on "The back page". 2 games in with his own players and he's trying to justify that Wilson piece, Jesus wept.
@PaulSenior1

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14606 on: September 30, 2016, 08:29:56 am »
is that WWCH coming soon? ;)

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #14607 on: September 30, 2016, 09:39:26 am »
Couldn't stand Boardman. What happened to Nick O'Prey, always found he was very considered and pretty knowledgable?

I think he was eaten whole by Ian Salmon

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #14608 on: September 30, 2016, 11:40:51 am »
I think Walsh does an Echo podcast, doesn't he? As for Boardman, he's not my fave but he does still do a pod very occasionally.

Not even occasionally now. He hasn't featured in any shows at all for months now. Glad I might add for reasons well established here in the past.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #14609 on: September 30, 2016, 01:59:22 pm »
I went to bed and popped on the Hull post game podcast last night then woke up having dreamt that Rob Guttman and some mates of his had called round before they went off to the Chelsea game. Not at my house though,  we were at my siater-in-lawe and their neighbours complained about the noise as they left the house.

Rob seemed a thoroughly nice bloke for what it's worth. :D
[emoji3]

Yesterday I was watching Adam Smith's demo reel on his IMDB page. It's been a quite weird couple of days. 😀

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14610 on: September 30, 2016, 05:51:28 pm »
Robbo confirmed on today's daily YouTube video that they have an agenda.

I knew it!   >:(

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14611 on: September 30, 2016, 07:28:44 pm »
No podcast today?
Football is a lie

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #14612 on: September 30, 2016, 07:40:49 pm »
As much as we'd love 100,000 subscribers, it was for the free show, our first baby.
Give it time, Mr Heaton. Give it time.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14613 on: September 30, 2016, 08:29:36 pm »
The Friday preview was a good listen today. Always enjoy Paul Duhaney's contributions when he's on.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14614 on: September 30, 2016, 08:31:30 pm »
A 59 minute episode of AFQ?   ???

Subscription cancelled.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14615 on: September 30, 2016, 08:35:51 pm »
Me too.

Although he can get to fuck with his 2-2 prediction ;D
To be honest I was thinking 2-2 myself just before he said that. Then I changed it to 3-1 just for a bit of variety. Then I remembered I wasn't actually on the show. ;D

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14616 on: September 30, 2016, 08:52:39 pm »
It was quite a pertinent point Neil made on the podcast discussing Klopp's appearance on MNF. With players becoming more open and frank in their account of games, and with Jurgen discussing methods live on TV, it can only be good for the discourse of the game.

The UK's poor grassroots methods and backwards football culture in appraising tactical dinosaur's like Hodgson and Allardyce is only further stymied by the poor quality of coverage football receives in England. It is the most baseless, sensationalist and mind numbingly dumb portrayal of the game anywhere in the world. The fact that the likes of Robbie Savage, Danny Mills and Paul Merson are all leading pundits symbolises this knuckle-dragging culture better than anything else.

It can only be hoped then, that the transfer and communication of ideas from foreign football managers raises the level of football discourse in this country. This is also being helped by podcasts like The Anfield Wrap or football journals like The Blizzard which has provided us with greater in empty knowledge than your usual media fodder, so the benefits of mass media may potentially improve the quality of punditry in this country (although we are still some way off with the The Fourth Estate - e.g. Sky, BT and BBC - catching up to the levels of supporter fanzines and journals).

Without enlightened and in-depth discourse, we can't expect to reach the levels of sophistication that other major footballing nations partake in. An informed football media provides a better education on the state of the game in this country, and therefore may provide the basis to improve the quality of the game through greater enlightenment.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2016, 04:07:11 am by mattD »

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #14617 on: October 1, 2016, 05:50:59 pm »
Brilliant Pink :D

Falling in love with Neil's opening and closing monologues.
:D

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #14618 on: October 2, 2016, 03:28:50 am »
Mike Nevin's piece on YNWA...

I was at Carlisle and to be honest, I totally didn’t mind the song going up. I mean, yeah, we could have sang something else but often as a foot soldier in/on the Kop you just latch onto whatever anyone else is singing and try and give it your all. Especially if you haven’t got the big deep voice (or the balls/alcohol intake) to get one going yourself. Whether it’s Carlisle or not, it’s still extra time, it’s still penalties, we still want to win and at least some effort is demonstrated by the fans. I mean, would ‘Poetry In Motion’ have been apt after the performance we’d just seen on the pitch? Poor Scouser Tommy? Liverbird Upon My Chest? Not really the songs you can fit in quickly before the restart of the taking of the penalties. Apart from the obvious ‘Liverpool, Liverpool, Liverpool’ there wasn’t particularly many other songs waiting in the wings. “Oh when the reds” perhaps – but it wasn’t the worst choice was it?

I can’t help but feel that it comes off a little elitist as well. Considering I’m 29, and fortunate enough to have been going the match for 13 years and it’s always happened at the start and end of every game it's one of the few things that I'm proud of with this football club. It's one of the things that keeps us different from the rest. Also it can’t presumably always be the same guy can it? The wool taking a massive shit on the M6 services etc. What happens if it’s a full blown Scouser anyway? Must be at the game fairly often if the gripe is that it happens every match. Plus the collective, which is the majority of the Kop, often join in and if they do, then I’ve usually taken it as written that the collective have decided as one to sing it and therefore it’s the right choice. Shite songs don’t usually take off at all.

Although… Some do. YNWA embarrassing? Surely not? Embarrassing is half the ground and sections of the Kop gleefully starting up or joining in with “You’re not singing anymore” after Balotelli has slotted a penalty in the final minutes to win the game and the Beşiktaş fans have been singing their hearts out all game at the Anny Road end. That’s awful, cringeworthy, gigantic bellend stuff.

Nah, I'm sorry I can't ever be embarrassed about singing You'll Never Walk Alone whenever, and if we lose to Everton 4-0 at home, you can look over at me in 202 and I'll most likely be singing it mate, wool or not. The song says You'll never walk alone, not, you will walk alone when we are shite, or when it's not cool to sing it.

I'm embarrassed that you feel embarrassed mate.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2016, 03:40:47 am by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline rodo

• Kemlynite
« Reply #14619 on: October 2, 2016, 08:33:15 am »
so what was the score with boardman had a look but can`t find anything never could stand him

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #14620 on: October 2, 2016, 09:25:59 am »
Ben Johnson again stealing the show on AFQ. As funny that line (about offering 3 generations out) was it is equally grim thinking about the infighting at the time.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #14621 on: October 2, 2016, 06:29:10 pm »
Ben Johnson again stealing the show on AFQ. As funny that line (about offering 3 generations out) was it is equally grim thinking about the infighting at the time.

That's was great - go for the grandad first to set a marker.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14622 on: October 3, 2016, 01:44:21 pm »
Priceless. He's also got an admirable biscuit game too, though that came as no surprise to me.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #14623 on: October 3, 2016, 01:56:18 pm »
Priceless. He's also got an admirable biscuit game too, though that came as no surprise to me.
I absolutely adore milk chocolate
McVities. :) So happy they are available over here in Greece.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14624 on: October 3, 2016, 02:17:22 pm »
I absolutely adore milk chocolate
McVities. :) So happy they are available over here in Greece.
Yes, the chocolate digestive is a classic. But it was the slightly stale ginger nut shout that got me out of my seat. One for the connoisseurs that. None of your bog standard fresh out the pack shite.

Nice to hear the humble rich tea get a mention too, an oft overlooked staple round my way. I like to double up on them with a bit of Kerrygold butter in between.
Quite fond of the chocolate ones too. Was hoping to hear them get a mention also, but in fairness that was probably enough biscuit related excitement for me in one sitting.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #14625 on: October 3, 2016, 02:54:00 pm »
chocolate rich tea
should never be

Offline Istanbul Therapy Group

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll hear our famous noise
« Reply #14626 on: October 3, 2016, 04:09:11 pm »
Had a proper belly laugh at Ben Jonno talking about Mary Berry and going to Mars. Something like "yeah these are lovely, but you'll be dead by the time we get there"
He never shows mercy, he would put 6 past your sons school team.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #14627 on: October 3, 2016, 04:13:57 pm »
chocolate rich tea
should never be

The devil's work.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #14628 on: October 3, 2016, 04:19:25 pm »
The new website. Eesh.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #14629 on: October 3, 2016, 04:56:28 pm »
Astonishing drivel by John Gibbons regarding Karius. Talking like the lad behind Karius is Neuer or something.

2 fucking games and he's already sticking the knife in.
Believe

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #14630 on: October 3, 2016, 04:57:47 pm »
Astonishing drivel by John Gibbons regarding Karius. Talking like the lad behind Karius is Neuer or something.

He did the same with Firmino last season. He`ll never learn.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14631 on: October 3, 2016, 05:12:46 pm »

Bizarre. Apparently we're in a title race so he can't be arsed with a new keeper. Talk about kneejerk and short sighted.
Believe

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #14632 on: October 3, 2016, 05:35:55 pm »

*drivel*

Or maybe it's just his opinion
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14633 on: October 3, 2016, 05:37:08 pm »
Tough man to please is King Klopp.  Ask Andy Murray.

Online Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #14634 on: October 3, 2016, 05:38:38 pm »
*drivel*

I think he is aware that it's John's opinion, he just thinks his opinion is drivel.

Thought John was pretty forceful with his opinion on Karius but can see where he's coming from.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14635 on: October 3, 2016, 06:22:29 pm »
*drivel*

Yes, the opinion is drivel. Literally saying unless a keeper is going to be brilliant from day one we shouldn't have a new one. It's drivel.
Believe

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #14636 on: October 3, 2016, 06:24:10 pm »
Yes, the opinion is drivel. Literally saying unless a keeper is going to be brilliant from day one we shouldn't have a new one. It's drivel.
You must have felt at home then.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline GazDean

• Main Stander
« Reply #14637 on: October 3, 2016, 06:30:05 pm »
WWCH part 3 coming pre Christmas?

Offline tmsneil

• A compere beyond compare
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #14638 on: October 3, 2016, 11:59:10 pm »
WWCH part 3 coming pre Christmas?
Recording one on Thursday.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #14639 on: October 4, 2016, 12:06:48 am »

In fairness he wasn't alone there, Firmino was gash for about four months with the exception of City away.