Author Topic: Budapest  (Read 6237 times)

Offline mattsant

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS #9517
Budapest
« on: February 20, 2012, 09:48:37 pm »
Anyone been? thoughts?

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Budapest
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:00:28 pm »
Yep. Several.
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline Brooks

• Kopite
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:14:51 pm »
Don't fall for the honey trap.
Seriously, how fucking stupid can this get. Chelsea could not be more lucky. Those stupid fuckers. And Gary Neville who's been making sweet love to them all night and GOD DAMMIT I HATE EVERYTHING. FUCK CHELSEA. GOD FUCKING DAMMIT I HATE THEM SO GODDAM MUCH!!!!

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 10:15:48 pm »
Bed beach. Great fuckin club. Hot women.

Can't remember much though coz I was smashed

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 04:44:12 am »
Loved the place and will definitely be back.

Offline GeeFJay

• aka 'Gazvinder Singh - Serial stalker.' Subject of a staffroom restraining order.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
http://www.quidco.com/user/745087/

www.misternobody.co.uk

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html

banner stolen on pre-season tour 2009 'liverpool fc europes finest five star establishment'

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 12:44:04 pm »
Gorgeous place. Go in the summer.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 04:18:06 pm »
Great city.

30% of the women are Bond girls. 30% are fit as fuck. 20% are just fit and the other 20% you'd shag anyway.

Enjoy.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 04:24:30 pm »
Brilliant city.  Go.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 04:47:03 pm »
Contrary to popular belief, the Danube is most definately, not Blue.

I think I even saw Mersey goldfish.

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 07:31:40 pm »
Anyone been? thoughts?

Yes been there watching the mighty reds, it's a sound place.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 04:00:00 pm »
Heading here for a week in the summer . Staying near Margit Bridge so any tips and advice would be welcome .

Read a bit about the ruin pubs , so are they worth the effort for a beverage or 10 ?

Travel around the city looks a bit confusing , but hopefully it's not too bad when you look into it .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 04:27:07 pm »
Went Nov 2011. You need to go here http://www.trofeagrill.eu/en/offer/menu we went, at the time it was Ł15 all you can eat and drink. Food cooked in front of you, couldn't bring you enough beers, had an inch left, "another beer sir?" On the Buda side of the Margit Hid bridge.

Also set some time for going up to the sites up the hill on the Buda side.  :wave
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 04:40:14 pm »
Went Nov 2011. You need to go here http://www.trofeagrill.eu/en/offer/menu we went, at the time it was Ł15 all you can eat and drink. Food cooked in front of you, couldn't bring you enough beers, had an inch left, "another beer sir?" On the Buda side of the Margit Hid bridge.

Also set some time for going up to the sites up the hill on the Buda side.  :wave

We're staying on the Pest side just on the other side of the bridge .

Grill place looks decent - cheers !  :wave

Looks like plenty to see and do there and all the reviews of the city have been good .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 05:32:53 pm »
I found transport around Budapest relatively straightforward, myself. Second oldest underground in the world!

Yes. You can get books of tickets (usually a book of ten) from the ticket kiosks or shops inside stations. You have to validate the ticket before you get on the train in a stamping machine. You can also use the tickets on the trams too.

kesey is bang on about the ladies too.

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 05:33:19 pm »
I found transport around Budapest relatively straightforward, myself. Second oldest underground in the world!

Poorly worded . Meant all the different travel zones and ticket alternatives available .

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 05:34:42 pm »
Yes. You can get books of tickets (usually a book of ten) from the ticket kiosks or shops inside stations. You have to validate the ticket before you get on the train in a stamping machine. You can also use the tickets on the trams too.

kesey is bang on about the ladies too.

If they're as tasty as the ladies in Sofia then happy days .

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 05:36:36 pm »
One odd thing that I found is that it was really hard to get a nice cup of tea. They had lots of weird teas (peppermint, Earl Grey, etc.) but no normal, English Breakfast tea. Even in cafes. Strange.

Offline mbyx6cg2

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 05:47:01 pm »
One of my favourite cities in the world. Definitely seek out some ruin bars while you're there
Once she's had a few glasses of Chardonnay I'll be in quicker than you can say PDF to offer her a jolly good spit shining of her corned beef curtains

Offline Salacious B. Crumb

• Main Stander
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 05:56:43 pm »
CELERITAS GUN CLUB (shooting range) We paid around 50 quid, and got to shoot lots of live rounds with a pump action shotgun, ak47, 44 and 357 magnums, glock, amongst a lot of other type of guns. It was amazing, and surreal, especially with a scatty hangover. It's in an old Soviet era bunker, very strange. The magnum 44 and shotgun were crazy to fire, unbelievable power. It's just outside Budapest, easy to get to by train. Best 50 quid you could spend.

Also, the Szecheny (sp?) thermal baths are good for hangovers.

Statues Park too
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:03:44 pm by Salacious B. Crumb »

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 07:00:41 pm »

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated and some handy tips . Looks an amazing city.

Online apassant77

• Kopite
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 08:06:11 pm »
Fenicular (think thats how it was spelt) railway was cool when we went for the Debreceni game and the food/beer were good value

We stayed at Queens court hotel and was ok

Enjoy.. i will deffo go back at some point and see a bit more of the city

tip though - don't eat the reindeer testicles at the christmas markets if its winter.. one bloke did and didn't get out the loo for days  ;D

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 08:15:11 pm »
Great city.

30% of the women are Bond girls. 30% are fit as fuck. 20% are just fit and the other 20% you'd shag anyway.

Enjoy.
Totally agree. you'd even give the 'ugly' women one.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 09:17:35 am »
Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or re-open this one...

Anyway, i'm off to Budapest a week on Sunday (staying in Buda) and I have two questions for anyone who's been before;

1) Where would you recommend to catch our game (I arrive on derby day)?
2) Anywhere special you'd recommend taking your significant other to for a special occasion? Doesn't have to be a restaurant, or expensive, just somewhere that you'd suggest is well worth a special occasion. Great view. Great atmosphere. You hopefully get the idea. Ideally somewhere off the main tourist trail, although I accept that's probably difficult!

Suggestions welcome and thanks in advance  :wave
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:19:22 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 10:15:55 am »
Great city.

Enjoy.

I think it's things like this that are missing from Trip Advisor.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 10:16:57 am »
2) Anywhere special you'd recommend taking your significant other to for a special occasion? Doesn't have to be a restaurant, or expensive, just somewhere that you'd suggest is well worth a special occasion. Great view. Great atmosphere. You hopefully get the idea. Ideally somewhere off the main tourist trail, although I accept that's probably difficult!

Are you proposing?!?

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 10:24:08 am »
1) I googled around and I'm pretty sure it was Becketts I saw our game at two years ago. Apparently they closed down and opened at a different location. We played City at home in the 13-14 season. Coutinho's goal after Kompany's mistake in the end. Had to catch a bus back (to Vienna) and decided I'd risk it and watch to the final whistle. Stood outside the pub for the last 5 minutes to get closer to the station haha. Whistle went, I shouted, next second legged it to the station and just made the bus. Nice trip back that was.

2) There are a few one's. Fisherman's Bastion I'd go for. A bit touristy but not so bad. Special place. If you're going to propose, which you're hinting at, it might not be ideal. I'd actually go for the canal opposite the Parliament then. Stunning view (see below).

What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 10:35:28 am »
2) There are a few one's. Fisherman's Bastion I'd go for. A bit touristy but not so bad. Special place. If you're going to propose, which you're hinting at, it might not be ideal. I'd actually go for the canal opposite the Parliament then. Stunning view (see below).

There's a place a little below the Bastion with a great view of the city and it was where a friend of mine proposed to his wife. Spent a couple of days in Budapest for their wedding and it was quite nice. Even though, in the touristy parts you pay the same prices for stuff as everywhere else. The bride (who is Hungarian) took us to a place where she used to go when she was studying in Budapest and you basically got a beer for 50 Cents or some ridiculously low price...

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2015, 11:42:08 am »
Are you proposing?!?

Maybe. Depends on whether I find somewhere that I like and the moment feels right.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks, I appreciate it. I had read a bit about Fisherman's Bastion (and the steps beneath it) before. Looks really nice up there. City looks intriguing in general as well.
Twitter | Blog

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2015, 11:59:12 am »
Good luck!

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2015, 12:22:15 pm »
Twitter | Blog

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2015, 02:18:18 pm »
Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or re-open this one...

Anyway, i'm off to Budapest a week on Sunday (staying in Buda) and I have two questions for anyone who's been before;

1) Where would you recommend to catch our game (I arrive on derby day)?

Suggestions welcome and thanks in advance  :wave

Went last month,  had a brilliant time.

1.  We used the John Bull bar,  not far from the Chain Bridge,  decent atmosphere and food was pretty good to.  Also,  once we'd had a meal and a drink they left us to watch the match in peace,  not constantly asking us if we needed more drinks

2.  The castle area at the top of the funicular was pretty spectacular.  Outside of the city itself Szentendre was a really cool day trip and easy enough to get to on the train.....
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2015, 05:28:14 pm »
Just back from a short break in Budapest. First time I'd been there and I too had a great time.

Stayed on the fringe of the Erzsebetavaros district or the old Jewish Quarter. A bit of an eye opener to think that the maze of streets full of bars, clubs and restaurants was a ghetto in the later stages of WW2. Some poignant reminders as you weave your way through the crowds from bar to bar.

Two bars in this area deserve special mention and opposite ends of the spectrum;

Szimpla Kert. The forerunner & best known of the ruin bars in the area. Think derelict building or squat, festooned in fairy lights, turned into a load of bars in different rooms with odd ball, off the wall furnishings and art strewn all over the place (including an old Trabant car!) and a crowd of people clutching drinks, staggering around open mouthed at just how bizarre the whole thing is. Highly recommended!

New York Café. A throw back to a different era. It's all marble and gold and polished mahogany and chandeliers and leather and the general impression that you've stepped back in time to the 1920s and that Al Capone and Lucky Luciano will be the next ones arriving to be shown to their tables. Highly recommended again but the bill will be twice as much as anywhere else in town (but it's Budapest so that still means cheap!)

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2015, 12:34:20 pm »
Are you proposing?!?
Good luck!

Amazingly, despite my all-round buffoonery she said 'yes'  :wave

One positive review for the much-maligned Tinder!

Thanks for the pointers as well, folks. Went up to Fishermans Bastion in the end and it was really, really nice. Not too busy either and she loved it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 04:09:41 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2015, 03:55:22 pm »
Amazingly, despite by all-round buffoonery she said 'yes'  :wave

One positive review for the much-maligned Tinder!

Thanks for the pointers as well, folks. Went up to Fishermans Bastion in the end and it was really, really nice. Not too busy either and she loved it.

Congratulations!

You can name your first born after me as a thank you. You have my blessings.  :wave

Edit: Haha, now I see that I didn't recommend the Bastion after all.  ;D
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2015, 04:17:19 pm »
Congratulations!

You can name your first born after me as a thank you. You have my blessings.  :wave

Haha, thanks mate. And i've already proposed 'Grobbel', in an effort to further publicise my online presence  ;D
Twitter | Blog

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2015, 04:19:31 pm »
I was in Budapest 5 days earlier this week. Beautiful city, had a great time.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2015, 04:32:16 pm »
Congratulations!

Edit: Haha, now I see that I didn't recommend the Bastion after all.  ;D

That's right. So, feel free to name your kid after me, grobbelrevell... ;)

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 8, 2016, 11:03:40 am »
Off to Budapest for 3 days in March for my first visit.

Can't bleedin' wait!

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2016, 12:59:57 pm »
Off to Budapest for 3 days in March for my first visit.

Can't bleedin' wait!

Enjoy  :wave
Twitter | Blog