Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 830702 times)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #520 on: November 28, 2010, 06:10:41 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwat0KXWxMg

i done a mathew street vid. i had a job looking for older photos but hey.

i'm thinking of borrowing some photos from this thread, will that be ok. any suggestions what music i could use? 
Heart as big as Liverpool by Pete Wylie.

That vid is boss, by the way.

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #521 on: November 28, 2010, 08:15:16 pm »
i only did it cos mathew st is an OMD song, and since it did a quick one yesterday for another song, i said i would do mathew st later.  knowing my luck, there were probably better older pics available a few years ago on the net, just as anything else as sites closed down, pics removed.  i would have thought there'd be more around.

i was thinking of doing ferry across the mersey and it's a short song but it would be hard to cram from the 60 to the present.  since the pics are pre 60s, it would sound a bit offish having a modern tune.  liverpool through the ages would be a tidy project.. day in a life. i don't think youtube do more than 10 mins, so we shall see
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:26:03 pm by johnsouthwales »
can i have my old name back please?

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #522 on: November 29, 2010, 02:46:57 pm »
i only did it cos mathew st is an OMD song, and since it did a quick one yesterday for another song, i said i would do mathew st later.  knowing my luck, there were probably better older pics available a few years ago on the net, just as anything else as sites closed down, pics removed.  i would have thought there'd be more around.

i was thinking of doing ferry across the mersey and it's a short song but it would be hard to cram from the 60 to the present.  since the pics are pre 60s, it would sound a bit offish having a modern tune.  liverpool through the ages would be a tidy project.. day in a life. i don't think youtube do more than 10 mins, so we shall see

I have had a quick shufty for you and found these

"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: November 29, 2010, 02:50:45 pm »
and these I have a couple more if you would lke them

Oh shit did the same one twice, fucking old age
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:52:22 pm by vicgill »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: November 29, 2010, 04:22:33 pm »
cheers for the two pics. i can use the bottom one but not the top as it's too small. for an ideal presentation, the larger the pic, the better quality. 640x470 in youtube is the norm as taking a video on a digital camera is 640 anyway. a pic that is 1024x768 will just be the same in youtube, viewed at 640. and when its played back in 1024 on computer's picture gallery, it looks better.  viewing a 640x470 on a large screen is ok, anything less gets stretched to fill the screen.

so far, i got 171 pics. each pic in movie maker lasts 5 seconds and there is no way to control it. i can control it in powerpoint but not in moviemaker.  many of the pics i find on the net are 500 wide, interesting but a bit too small. so, if i plod along, should finish it by saturday lol.

171 times 5 is 855 secs meaning 14 minutes. i suppose i could do it in two parts...and there's loads to do. what i got so far is like a grain of sand on formby beach

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: November 29, 2010, 07:31:28 pm »
John, there might be 1 or 2 on this link, not sure if they're any good to you....

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1834060,00.html
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #526 on: November 29, 2010, 07:57:45 pm »
Some great pictures and videos in here, keep them coming and thanks to everyone who posts somethin, there a pleasure to look at.

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: November 29, 2010, 08:47:56 pm »
John, there might be 1 or 2 on this link, not sure if they're any good to you....

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1834060,00.html

that site is alright as well, i just had a look at it. not bad at all.  the pics are a bit closer at 611 rather than 640.  there's nothing stopping me at ecording what i put into the laptop. i could do an hour or anything at all.  what will stop it is the upload to youtube, and i don't think youtube will upload ten mins at a time from an hours vid cos the file name will be the same, so it would be 6 times 10 minutes.

there's lot to do if you think about it. does that mean i have to find some prescilla white pics 'an all?

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: November 29, 2010, 10:20:42 pm »
Up to you chuck  :)...or you could try one of these

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: November 30, 2010, 01:10:48 pm »
Bold St. all dolled up for the Coronation...

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: November 30, 2010, 01:52:09 pm »
and these I have a couple more if you would lke them

Oh shit did the same one twice, fucking old age

Is that you on the bottom one Vic?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: November 30, 2010, 04:58:04 pm »
Is that you on the bottom one Vic?

No mate, but it could have been, there was a time when i was hardly out the place.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: November 30, 2010, 08:09:23 pm »
Bold St. all dolled up for the Coronation...

You have to laugh at Blacklers, on the corner.

Most of us only remember the 'store', and santa's grotto downstairs. :P

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: November 30, 2010, 08:12:18 pm »
right, thats one part done.. google search >> Liverpool Lime St Station, Liverpool Lime Street, Lime Street done.

i came across a piccy of the abc cinema but its more less the building taken a couple of years back. now i typed in liverpool abc cinema and sod all much comes up

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: November 30, 2010, 08:47:57 pm »
Try 'Forum' instead John

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: November 30, 2010, 10:43:06 pm »
i'll do the forums last. there are so many permutations to use, and that's just google. there's yahoo as well as i find not all search engines have the same stuff. ad no doubt flickr will have a stash.. some forum pics are showing up in the search as i go along.

in the meantime, i just came across this.

is that the same song as some mouse on a stair?  i always thought someone else sung it
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:46:14 pm by johnsouthwales »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #536 on: November 30, 2010, 11:30:41 pm »
......is that the same song as some mouse on a stair?  i always thought someone else sung it

The version by Ronnie Hilton was the first big hit and was played a lot, and I mean a lot, on the BBC back then just like that other frivolity Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellenbogen-by-the-Sea done by Max Bygraves.
The 60's wasn't all great stuff, much of it was grim, just like Freddy and the Dreamers.
Hilton was also a Leeds Utd fan and I read somewhere that he wrote some of their songs.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: December 1, 2010, 12:09:23 am »

while excavating a carpark at the pier head they discovered
the old manchester dock which was filled in 1929 the gates were still there

i noticed the liverpool museum of life on the right side, and i was looking at cars in the background to give a hint what year this was. around 1988 ish?

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: December 1, 2010, 12:17:30 am »
what year was scotts bread? was it just a local firm?

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: December 1, 2010, 10:37:38 am »

while excavating a carpark at the pier head they discovered
the old manchester dock which was filled in 1929 the gates were still there

i noticed the liverpool museum of life on the right side, and i was looking at cars in the background to give a hint what year this was. around 1988 ish?

2006 I think mate.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: December 1, 2010, 12:09:13 pm »
Up and down Water St. in the 1930's

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: December 1, 2010, 04:00:19 pm »
2006...oh heck, am way out then. ah so, it the boarding has nothing to do with the construction of the museum of life at all then. i know it was there in 1993 or 1994.

what did the channel 4 timeteam find when they were up there? they were up there around that time.

im up to about 370 pics now lol.  looking at them, it wouldn't  be a good idea to repeat similar looking pics like lime st station and that could be repetative. same as st georges hall.

probably i'll divided them up. part one can be up to the 1940s and 1950s on can be the new age. that works out about 20mins, so that'll be 2 vids so far. pending on the music of course
« Last Edit: December 1, 2010, 05:31:34 pm by johnsouthwales »

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: December 1, 2010, 08:06:47 pm »
That'll be the 'old dock' John, which was uncovered when the 'Liverpool One' project was begun. Here's a link to the TimeTeam episode... and a photo of a viewing point that the Liverpool One developers built over the old dock.

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/T/timeteam/2008/liverpool/picture-gallery/gallery_9_index.html

http://v3.cache1.c.bigcache.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/16310436.jpg?redirect_counter=2

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: December 1, 2010, 10:40:40 pm »
i was watching that timeteam programme. i see now, i think i remember now them saying they unearthed it whilst bulding, and the brick walls

i can see the museum of life board in the background in one of the timeteam pics.  when i was in liverpool last, i tried to have a look out for it when i remembered time team had been there

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: December 1, 2010, 10:49:26 pm »
grr looking at my photos, so close but yet so far.. i can't believe this. across the road

« Last Edit: December 1, 2010, 11:01:23 pm by johnsouthwales »

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: December 2, 2010, 12:43:26 am »
I've found myself buying a few of these maps of late.
A whole series of dozens of them have been re-released,covering swathes of Liverpool,  and are very handy in pinpointing old buildings and streets, or to map the changes of an area, over time.

Retailing at about £2.20 at any good book shop.

As for the old Manchester dock.  Here's a scan of one of the maps(sorry about the clarity), and as you can see where I've marked in red, the rough footprint of the new museum, which is now built directly over the old Manchester dock.

For those that know your history, sorry. For those that don't. The large George's Dock at the top right of the map, is now where The Royal Liver building, Cunard Building, and The port of Liverpool Building (The Mersey Docks and Harbour Building), now stand.

The dock itself is still there, and was not filled in. The buildings are built on raised pilings, over the top of the dock, and the tide still comes in and out, under the buildings.
Up untill recent years, there was still a boat floating in the dock, under the Liver Building, whick could be glimpsed through the gloom, bobbing up and down on the high tide. When they built the Liver Buildings aproximately 100 years ago, the boat was left in the dock.

In recent years, I think it's finally succumb to rot, and is now no longer visible.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2010, 01:30:11 am by Big Red Richie »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #546 on: December 2, 2010, 01:25:42 am »

Brilliant Richie. They look great, certainly better than my ancient a-z maps.  I'm going to put them at the top of the list of things Santa will hopefully bring me.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: December 2, 2010, 01:53:37 am »
this is a bit mixing.. i just realised i have strolled past liverpool one after all. walk up Liver street and paradise and crossed the road at hannover street. i took a photo of waterstones at 18.35 cos some clock on the building opposite says so. i must have passed the hilton again enroute. probably i was hurrying to get to the bus and didn't noticed it again lol. but, i do remember walking back from mathew street about half past two in the morning taking photos of the new lewis's, apple store.

where was the old museum of life situated?  it's a fascinating subject.  to me, there are two new buildings. the one oppsoite the customs house had some beatles story. the other one a bit further down is museum of liverpool opening 2011.

if i'm thinking right that the museum of liverpool is the new museum of life, how come i don't recognise the background in the pic with the gates?

sounds like to me they buried the manchester dock, and after a rather long time after unearthed it and then they buried it again

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: December 2, 2010, 02:16:13 am »
in the picture of the gates, where the boat is on the right hand side, there is a building slightly to the left to with a bit of hint of orange on its canopy.  im sure that is a museum as well. im looking at some oldish photos from my photo album and im sure i can see it in the background

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: December 2, 2010, 09:49:24 am »
John - this photo should solve your puzzle.

The Museum of Liverpool Life, as was, is the building with the flag on top - situated between the new museum and that little grey 'tea caddy' building.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2512/3740042210_28b7aa08c8_o.jpg

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: December 2, 2010, 10:33:29 am »

Those maps Richie are great, got a handful myself. Have you tried some of the '1 yard to the mile' series? They don't cover all of Liverpool yet, but they add to the list quite regularly.
I get mine online from here - got them the next day !!

http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/acatalog/Liverpool_Large_Scale_Plans.html

Just noticed Richie - sorry
« Last Edit: December 2, 2010, 10:50:48 am by Tsar Kastik »

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: December 2, 2010, 02:15:00 pm »
oh cool. i found a similarish pic just now - without the tea caddy

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: December 2, 2010, 02:43:07 pm »
oooh, interesting site. cunard building

George's Dock Wall,part of the original dock the building was built over.

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: December 2, 2010, 02:49:16 pm »
The buildings are built on raised pilings, over the top of the dock, and the tide still comes in and out, under the buildings.

it's hard to imagine the buildings are basically supported by some blocks of wood  :P

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: December 2, 2010, 03:06:46 pm »
That reminded me - the trouble they went to so's people could park their cars a bit nearer to work. Why not come to work on your bike like they used to.

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: December 2, 2010, 03:08:58 pm »
that's a coincidence. i was just looking at another pic of the above

« Last Edit: December 2, 2010, 03:10:37 pm by johnsouthwales »

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: December 2, 2010, 03:50:07 pm »

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #557 on: December 2, 2010, 04:42:06 pm »

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: December 2, 2010, 04:51:26 pm »
browsing through my own photos, i hope i got this right  :P

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: December 2, 2010, 04:58:49 pm »
Any idea what year that was, John?

i can't find the website it was on now. i don't think it mentioned a date.

(found it) - all it says is Picture from the "Story of Liverpool" book published by the Liverpool Corporation in 1957
« Last Edit: December 2, 2010, 05:04:56 pm by johnsouthwales »