Author Topic: Preview: Liverpool v West Ham - Sunday 7th April  (Read 30860 times)

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
Preview: Liverpool v West Ham - Sunday 7th April
« on: March 31, 2013, 07:53:39 pm »
This week's preview is a bit different as it is highlighting a conversation between Big Sam & his assistant Neil McDonald that was overhear this week:

Sam Allardyce is sitting in his office when Neil McDonald walks in, Big Sam looks up puts down his phone before asking:

"What do you want Neil? I was just on Twitter tweeting about me ball sack again."

"Well boss, we play Liverpool this weekend, thought you might want to discuss tactics.."
"Tactics Macca, tactics? Haha, you must be joking right? You know the tactics by now Mac, we'll just hoo... Sorry, play long passes" *wink* "to Big Andy and see what happens from there.."

"But gaffer, Andy can't play this weekend"

"For Fergie's sake, is he injured again? What's he done now, sprained his wrist whacking me off in Karen Brady's office whilst sniffing her seat?"

"Err, no gaffer, that was you..."

"Oh, right yeah...Wait...Jesus Macca, I told you, I did this saving those orphans from that burning building, remember" *wink*

"Oh yeah boss, orphans boss....Anyway, he's actually not injured for once, it's just we loaned him from Liverpool so he can't play against them..."

"That's bull..., someone is disrespecting Big Sam 'ere with that rule...I bet you it was their manager...Rafa beedin' Benitez!"

"Err, boss Brendan Rodgers is their manager, and that rule has been about for years..."

"Rodgers... The fella who tells his side to keep the ball on the floor....how's he their manager, when did that happen?"

"He's been there all year boss"

"Can't say I noticed, far too busy with my Twitter and watching Man United games to notice such things like"

"Well gaffer, it looks like some teams like playing the ball on the deck, maybe we could try it...We could put Nolan in the hole, and instead of the defenders whacking it over his head to Carroll or Big Carlton, they could pass it to the midfielders, they could give it to Kev and we could go from there?"

"Friggin' hell Macca, what are you on about? That's not football. Football's about fight, bravery, running and being big....Nolan in the hole, haha. Only thing going in a hole round ere will be Big Sam's todge, right in Karen Brady's fa..."

"Ok, Ok boss... I getchya, we'll stay as we are, shall I go practice hoo..."

"Macca!"

"...sorry gaffer... hitting long passes at Carlton Cole?"

"Errr, yeah I guess that's the plan, can't believe Benitez won't let us play Carroll..., he just does it coz he's jealous of Big Sam, what with me being so well thought of by the LMA and all...."

"Definitely boss, although I'm not sure he had much to so with it, he's at Chelsea now"

"What!?! Chelsea...well he's a tosser and so are their fans, I guess they must love him there..... Anyway Macca, time to go, I've got to get back to Twitter, plus Mr Ferguson will need me to wash his car soon, and if I do a good job he lets me sit by his leg when he's drinking his whiskey by the side of the M6 waving his tackle at passing cars... You go and get the midfielders doing weights to strengthen their necks, it can be tough watching the ball flying over your head all day, they need to be ready..."

"Right boss, anything else?"

"Yeah, get Collins to practice his long passes to Carlton...."

"Ok boss, that it?"

"Just one more thing Macca"

"Go on boss.."

"I'm off to Brady's office again, if you see her, stall her...."

"Ok gaffer, enjoy!"

"Oh I will Macca, I will!"
« Last Edit: April 1, 2013, 11:56:40 pm by StevenLFC »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Preview: Liverpool v West Ham - Sunday 7th April
« Reply #1 on: April 1, 2013, 11:16:15 pm »
;D Smashin.
Yep.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 3, 2013, 01:39:51 pm »
Enjoy
Yep.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 3, 2013, 02:22:05 pm »
 ;D
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline LFC Jim

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: April 3, 2013, 02:49:45 pm »
That's brilliant! Can see us scoring a few in this game.
Bring Back Sami.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5 on: April 3, 2013, 02:50:28 pm »
Why are we still playing on Sundays?

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #6 on: April 3, 2013, 02:50:50 pm »
Why are we still playing on Sundays?

Grand National on Saturday.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Get

• ...ting perilously close to being banned, so even the avatar is WRONG!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Support Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #7 on: April 3, 2013, 03:10:49 pm »
hmm I'm thinking, Henderson is the obvious choice to start, but Since we are playing at home to a weaker opposition, BR might drop him and play Suarez behind Sturridge. with Gerrard and Lucas behind him. Would love Henderson to start though. either way it will be interesting.

Would love Suso to get some mins, has been playing well for the u21.

Anything else pretty much unchanged, can see a comfortable win but with us u never know. Would love a 6-0 smashing to leave that big fat fuck sam red faced.

Btw Carroll can't play right?
Quote from: Fordy on July 20, 2012, 01:24:46 PM
Anything more that 6m for Joe Allen and we have been ripped off.

Loads of Joe allens out there.

I would like to see him stay at Swansea myself and see if he can have another decent season. He is a championship player - players like a championship player.

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #8 on: April 3, 2013, 03:59:23 pm »
Great preview.

I'd be tempted to start with the same 11 that started against Villa.  I can't see Rodgers changing the back 4, and there are 3 players further forward that he won't/can't leave out.  Coutinho, Gerrard and Suarez.

Which leaves Lucas, Downing and Henderson.  Henderson definitely deserves another start.  Not only his goal, but his all-round energy is something that was a great asset against Villa.  I hope he keeps making those surges in to the box as we have a player in Coutinho who can pick those runs out.

Downing's work rate has impressed me recently.  His work off the ball and tracking back has been excellent, however, in the final 3rd, his game still leaves a bit to be desired.  Defenders seem to be sussing him out on the right now.  They seem to know that he will look to cut in on his left foot and try to get his shot in.  He did it a few times against Villa and the defenders read it and blocked his shots.

Lucas is my real worry at the moment.   There are times you feel the "old" Lucas is back, and by "old" I mean the Lucas of a couple of years ago, who was an absolute fucking boss.
There are also times you think the "even older" Lucas is back, and by "even older" I mean the Lucas that really struggled when he arrived at Liverpool.   
Last weekend at Villa, it was the "even older" Lucas on show.  He kept giving away needless free-kicks, looked a yard slower than everyone else and his passing was sloppy.

I'm not writing him off.  He has worked back from a terrible knee injury, followed by a thigh injury, so it takes time to get back to the level he was consistently showing prior to his injury.  He can and will reach that level again, of that I am certain.
The problem is with Allen out for the remainder of the season, and Shelvey's Liverpool form (though good for the England U21's) so erratic, there are few options for Rodgers in the middle of the park to give Lucas a breather.

Personally, I would start the same 11 that started against Villa, which means keeping Sturridge on the bench again this week.  The only way Rodgers will start Sturridge is in leaving Henderson out of the side, and that (in my opinion) would unbalance the side, just as it was when we played the so-called 4-2-4 against Southampton a few weeks ago.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2013, 04:01:31 pm by ashleyrose-66 »

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #9 on: April 3, 2013, 04:02:08 pm »

Btw Carroll can't play right?

Right.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #10 on: April 3, 2013, 04:06:56 pm »
Think we should, and will, go with an unchanged team at Anfield.  Looking forward to Glen Johnson's customary goal against the Hammers  :P.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #11 on: April 3, 2013, 04:14:48 pm »
Complacency!!!!

The curse of these sort of fixtures...
We have to go and smash the shit outta them and have the game over by all accounts on minute 60. In an ideal world!

But i do hope we approach the game professionally and not just expect a win. We can be our own worst enemies in games like these so a little bit of composure, especially in the final third and i hope to see us take all three points with a solid performance here. There is nothing in that West Ham team to be afraid of.

Btw, brilliant OP....had me in stitches!
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #12 on: April 3, 2013, 04:23:36 pm »
Probably worth noting that Luis Suarez is on 9 yellow cards for the season.  If he gets booked against West Ham, he will miss the Reading and Chelsea games.

If he avoids a booking against West Ham and is booked against Reading, he'll miss the Chelsea and Newcastle games.

If he avoids a booking in his next two games (West Ham and Reading) the second amnesty comes in to place and the 9 yellow cards are scrapped which means he won't face the prospect of missing 2 games (incuding the Everton game!!)

Offline xstoofer

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: April 3, 2013, 09:21:19 pm »
Need to smash these c*nts, fed up with this 2 steps forward one step back carry on...
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared
to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #14 on: April 3, 2013, 10:15:46 pm »
Probably worth noting that Luis Suarez is on 9 yellow cards for the season.  If he gets booked against West Ham, he will miss the Reading and Chelsea games.

If he avoids a booking against West Ham and is booked against Reading, he'll miss the Chelsea and Newcastle games.

If he avoids a booking in his next two games (West Ham and Reading) the second amnesty comes in to place and the 9 yellow cards are scrapped which means he won't face the prospect of missing 2 games (incuding the Everton game!!)

Just tape his mouth and stop his hands from clapping and we'll be alright! Can't see him picking up a yellow against West Ham but if we go behind at Reading then he'll become frustrated and possibly pick up a yellow. Just hope he makes it through to the amnesty.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #15 on: April 3, 2013, 10:23:53 pm »
Think we should, and will, go with an unchanged team at Anfield.  Looking forward to Glen Johnson's customary goal against the Hammers  :P.

Similar to the previous one would be nice.
Brilliant preview  ;D
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 3, 2013, 10:43:17 pm »
haha brilliant!  i hope henderson keeps his place in the starting 11.  hopefully we can get that early goal and not turn it into a nervous scrap towards the end.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2013, 11:11:23 pm by Gifted Right Foot »

Offline ScottyBoy_21

• The Diet Coke of evil. Only one calorie.
  • Kopite
« Reply #17 on: April 3, 2013, 10:46:25 pm »
Is this on Sky? Seeing as it's a 1:30pm kick off.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #18 on: April 3, 2013, 11:00:34 pm »
I'm confident about this one, Carroll would have troubled us in the same way that Benteke did and without him I dont think they pose much of a threat.

We beat them 2-3 earlier in the season without Suarez, Sturridge Coutinho and (for most of the match) Enrique so I think we'll just have too much. We proved against Villa that we're up for the fight for 5th/6th
and not already 'on the beach' 

However, the last time I was confident before a game recently was Soton away..............................

(Actually the last time I was really confident before a game was Villa at home, 24th August 2009)
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 3, 2013, 11:04:35 pm »
In bloody Heathrow airport for this one, may be able to see the first half.....grrr...
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Chris Mullin

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: April 3, 2013, 11:21:32 pm »
Not sure we need a three man midfield with the ball being hoofed over their head all game, we won´t get overrun.  Having said that I probably would feel safer with Henderson in there as well!!
The only way Lebron will ever get close to a ring is if he shakes Kobe´s hand.........

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #21 on: April 3, 2013, 11:27:22 pm »
Hope Joe Cole is fit for this one, it'll be nice to show our appreciation for the service he gave us.

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 3, 2013, 11:31:16 pm »
Great OP, very funny!

Think we might go unchanged, although I wouldn't mind seeing Sturridge start. Henderson should be a must start by now.

Hope Luis behaves himself for this one. Can't have him missing that Chelsea game.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #23 on: April 4, 2013, 01:18:05 am »
Would like for Lucas to be rested, but how..? Is Coady good enough yet?

Offline Kop10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 4, 2013, 01:24:30 am »
Sam is agricultural enough to blatantly want to exploit our weakness, which just happens to be their strength.

Expect an aerial bombardment!
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too. One year we came second." - Bob Paisley

Offline JG-7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 4, 2013, 01:54:15 am »
Is this on Sky? Seeing as it's a 1:30pm kick off.

Unforunately not, Sky have got Crewe Vs. Southend in the Johnstone's Paint Tropy at 1:30pm, followed by QPR against Wigan. There will be some pretty good streams about though. Not sure why we are kicking off at 1:30 when its not being televised though, very strange.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2013, 01:56:25 am by JG-7 »

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 4, 2013, 03:35:47 am »
Not enough plaudits for Steven's OP here.

"But gaffer, Andy can't play this weekend"

"For Fergie's sake, is he injured again? What's he done now, sprained his wrist whacking me off in Karen Brady's office whilst sniffing her seat?"

"Err, no gaffer, that was you..."

:lmao   Superb
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #27 on: April 4, 2013, 09:12:02 am »
Unforunately not, Sky have got Crewe Vs. Southend in the Johnstone's Paint Tropy at 1:30pm, followed by QPR against Wigan. There will be some pretty good streams about though. Not sure why we are kicking off at 1:30 when its not being televised though, very strange.

I could have sworn it'd been previous advertised as being on Sky! :(. I'm at a wedding in London this Saturday and gave my ticket to a mate because I knew it'd be a stuggle to get back and (wrongly) was convinced it was indeed on Sky so at least I could watch it! I'm going to have to ask for it back now (some friend I am) and also tell my misses we have to check out at 8 (very popular man I'll be!) :butt

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 4, 2013, 09:17:28 am »
Need to keep Diame quiet. Three in the middle again please.

Same team last week with Sturridge in for Downing and we'll come out with a win. They're average playing away but we always seem to let average/lower teams escape with atleast a point at home...
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 4, 2013, 10:01:59 am »
Need to keep Diame quiet. Three in the middle again please.

Same team last week with Sturridge in for Downing and we'll come out with a win. They're average playing away but we always seem to let average/lower teams escape with atleast a point at home...

Do we? Only Stoke, West Brom and Aston Villa this season. Rodgers has eradicated the problem for me.  Last year there was Stoke, Blackburn, Wigan, West Brom, Sunderland, Norwich, Swansea, Aston Villa, Fulham picking up points at Anfield.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 4, 2013, 10:50:18 am »
Hehehe... Funny OP...

I'd like to see Henderson get a good run of games now.  He's more than earned it.

It's important to see more of Suarez and Sturridge together, but I don't think we should be playing 4 attackers again as it just leaves us wide open in midfield.  The question is who do you drop out of Coutinho and Downing?

It seems clear that Coates and Skrtel are no longer fancied so I'd assume we'll stick with the favoured back four.

Seems like an age since we were last at home, so let's have fun!

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 4, 2013, 11:03:15 am »
A team similar to against Villa would be good, although having Henderson slightly deeper with a focus on assisting Lucas with counters and direct attacks would be good, making it a bonus if Gerrard gets back rather than a necessity. The Suarez situation is a difficult one, and personally at some point I think we should consider resting him for a game and backing Sturridge in that lone striker role, but it's a gamble and we need all of the points we can get right now.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 4, 2013, 11:19:30 am »
ANDY CARROLL WON'T BE PLAYING SO WE DON'T HAVE TO DISCUSS IT EVERY PAGE AS IT'S HERE IN BOLD AND LARGE TEXT

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 4, 2013, 11:26:06 am »
ANDY CARROLL WON'T BE PLAYING SO WE DON'T HAVE TO DISCUSS IT EVERY PAGE AS IT'S HERE IN BOLD AND LARGE TEXT

Why won't he be playing????

;)

Offline alxhix

• Kemlynite
« Reply #34 on: April 4, 2013, 11:28:58 am »
Sorry - just a quick question. Is Andy Carroll playing  ;) :P

As for the team, I also feel like we need to rest Suarez to protect him from a yellow as much as just giving him a rest - but against that is the obvious desire he has to play; and the seemingly true statement that the more he plays, the better he is (what in cricket bowling terms you would call a rhythm bowler - continuous managed workload is better than a rest). Plus it would be nice for him to grab a hat trick and put that golden boot out of sight for the chasing pack.

I do think an unchanged team is unlikely, with the lack of midfield threat that the Hammers have; and their likely attack being aerial I'd even be tempted to play 3 at the back - but convinced BR wouldn't dream of it. He may revert to the 4-2-4 type setup though.

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #35 on: April 4, 2013, 11:32:37 am »

BUT WHAT ABOUT JOE COLE?

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 4, 2013, 11:38:56 am »
The Suarez situation is a difficult one

It's not, he's our best player, he plays. Resting him so he doesnt miss games makes no sense at all.

Offline G1-tiga

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: April 4, 2013, 11:43:34 am »
Very funny OP. Allerdcye's fat face annoys me, it looks like it needs a Thai masseuse to get it back into place.

On to more pressing matters, think we have a huge chance of winning this one and winning well. Henderson was an engine in the last game so I think he has to start with the only change being Sturridge for Downing if he's fit. Looking forward to this!

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 4, 2013, 11:49:15 am »
i expect Sturridge to start this one
YNWA

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #39 on: April 4, 2013, 12:09:30 pm »
Come On Redmen!
Looking forweard to a weekend of Aintree Sat and Anfield Sun.
Sturridge in for Downing will do for me and let's play them off the park instead of sitting back and inviting pressure like we did after 30 min at Upton Park.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!