Author Topic: Preview: Liverpool v West Ham - Sunday 7th April  (Read 30883 times)

Offline lfcbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Oh campione
Re: Preview: Liverpool v West Ham - Sunday 7th April
« Reply #40 on: April 4, 2013, 12:12:41 pm »
Nailed on Cole to score if he plays
“Everything will be ok in the end. If it’s not ok, it’s not the end.”

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
  • The Greatest player to wear No.25 for Liverpool
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #41 on: April 4, 2013, 01:58:14 pm »
What we could expect from West Ham;

Includes the following infographics;

West Ham have the highest number of crosses per game. Below are 40 crosses they put in against Fulham.

Also, they claim not to be a long ball team but look how direct these long balls were against Spurs;

More analysis here: http://roryfitz9.webnode.com/news/liverpool-vs-west-ham/

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #42 on: April 4, 2013, 02:13:01 pm »
What we could expect from West Ham;

Includes the following infographics;

West Ham have the highest number of crosses per game. Below are 40 crosses they put in against Fulham.

Also, they claim not to be a long ball team but look how direct these long balls were against Spurs;

More analysis here: http://roryfitz9.webnode.com/news/liverpool-vs-west-ham/

All long balls are, by definition, direct.

Here are Liverpool's long passes against Villa (from Squawka.com):

I think it would be safe to say that both diagrams are similar in density, no?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #43 on: April 4, 2013, 02:28:39 pm »
No, long balls are balls that travel more than 25 yards.

I looked at this and if my point (made in the blog) is that its the point of origin and the destination that is the key factor.

Liverpool play alot of > 25yards but as you can see, the point of origin and destination are cross field and diagnol - West Ham's are direct 'back-to-front' and are the more archtypal 'long-ball'.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: April 4, 2013, 02:31:25 pm »
No, long balls are balls that travel more than 25 yards.

I looked at this and if my point (made in the blog) is that its the point of origin and the destination that is the key factor.

Liverpool play alot of > 25yards but as you can see, the point of origin and destination are cross field and diagnol - West Ham's are direct 'back-to-front' and are the more archtypal 'long-ball'.

Liverpool play a lot more lateral long passes, for sure. But we still play a lot of long passes. Do you know what percentage of our passes are long passes - and equally, do you know what the general percentage of passes a "long ball" team plays (I know, but I'm just interested to see if you have looked at it)?

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: April 4, 2013, 02:36:41 pm »
Why are we playing on a Sunday....again!?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #46 on: April 4, 2013, 02:36:52 pm »
A long pass can be Gerrard by-passing Lucas to hit Johnson on the right. Its a long pass but not the typical long ball. We hit these, West Ham hit alot of long balls, rather than long passes.

Teams in general play about 60-70 long balls per game. But this isnt the relevant stat as you point out, its how often do they hit a long pass and for West Ham (as I point out in the blog, is quite high at 1-in-5).

Liverpool's rate is closer to 1-in-9.

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #47 on: April 4, 2013, 02:37:39 pm »
Why are we playing on a Sunday....again!?

Grand National is on Saturday.

We are not on Sky or ESPN, we'll have to look for a foreign station.

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #48 on: April 4, 2013, 02:43:11 pm »
Grand National is on Saturday.

We are not on Sky or ESPN, we'll have to look for a foreign station.

Or sit in the stands...

Second match at Anfield ever for me - taking my Dad for his first and all. Can't wait.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: April 4, 2013, 02:46:10 pm »
A long pass can be Gerrard by-passing Lucas to hit Johnson on the right. Its a long pass but not the typical long ball. We hit these, West Ham hit alot of long balls, rather than long passes.

Teams in general play about 60-70 long balls per game. But this isnt the relevant stat as you point out, its how often do they hit a long pass and for West Ham (as I point out in the blog, is quite high at 1-in-5).

Liverpool's rate is closer to 1-in-9.

Opta might qualify that pass from Gerrard as a "long ball", but in technical terms, the long ball is hit from back to front. West Ham certainly do more of that than Liverpool, but they also pass short too. We're not looking at Cambridge United under John Beck here. They can play a bit too.

In total numbers, though, West Ham play roughly the same amount of long passes per game as Liverpool (per Whoscored.com). The difference is that they play to depth, whereas we play a lot to width:

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #50 on: April 4, 2013, 02:53:58 pm »
You might want to check but 'long ball' in that table is a pass of over 25 yards. It does not take the direction into account.

In the blog, I picked the long balls in the Spurs game because Spurs play a high line and pressing game. Liverpool try win the ball back pretty quickly and given we are at home, West Ham might try to bypass this 'pressing' and not play alot in midfield. As shown in the Spurs graphic, their long balls were in fact that - long balls, back to front quickly.

West Ham dont play a short game - its about playing as much of the game in the oppositions final 3rd as possible and therefore, they look to get the ball there quickly and then start to play. Once 'there', they then get bodies in the box and put in there.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: April 4, 2013, 02:59:57 pm »
You might want to check but 'long ball' in that table is a pass of over 25 yards. It does not take the direction into account.

In the blog, I picked the long balls in the Spurs game because Spurs play a high line and pressing game. Liverpool try win the ball back pretty quickly and given we are at home, West Ham might try to bypass this 'pressing' and not play alot in midfield. As shown in the Spurs graphic, their long balls were in fact that - long balls, back to front quickly.

West Ham dont play a short game - its about playing as much of the game in the oppositions final 3rd as possible and therefore, they look to get the ball there quickly and then start to play. Once 'there', they then get bodies in the box and put in there.

They certainly do, but there is a world of difference between "using the long ball" and "being a long-ball team". By the definition above, Rafa could be considered a long ball manager, but we know that not to be true, yes?

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: April 4, 2013, 03:06:07 pm »
Opta might qualify that pass from Gerrard as a "long ball", but in technical terms, the long ball is hit from back to front. West Ham certainly do more of that than Liverpool, but they also pass short too. We're not looking at Cambridge United under John Beck here. They can play a bit too.

In total numbers, though, West Ham play roughly the same amount of long passes per game as Liverpool (per Whoscored.com). The difference is that they play to depth, whereas we play a lot to width:

Just looking at the long pass chart and the table you've given and it looks to me like a team that plays long ball. They seem to want to create as many aerial challenges as possible. They attack through set pieces, put more crosses in per game than any other Premier League team and are very direct. Their primary attack is Nolan behind Carroll. I think that says a lot.

Yes they have some talented players and are a Premier Team capable at times of playing good football but I do think their strengths in terms of game style and personal definitely revolve around direct play and aerial challenges. In that respect it's a terrible match up for us.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #53 on: April 4, 2013, 03:09:35 pm »
They certainly do, but there is a world of difference between "using the long ball" and "being a long-ball team". By the definition above, Rafa could be considered a long ball manager, but we know that not to be true, yes?

I wouldn't want to put a Rafa team and Allardyce team into the same debate ;)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: April 4, 2013, 03:14:59 pm »
Just looking at the long pass chart and the table you've given and it looks to me like a team that plays long ball. They seem to want to create as many aerial challenges as possible. They attack through set pieces, put more crosses in per game than any other Premier League team and are very direct. Their primary attack is Nolan behind Carroll. I think that says a lot.

Yes they have some talented players and are a Premier Team capable at times of playing good football but I do think their strengths in terms of game style and personal definitely revolve around direct play and aerial challenges. In that respect it's a terrible match up for us.

I think our definitions are probably a bit different then, although you do have me thinking. For me,  a Long Ball team is a team that kicks every ball forward without thought (kick and rush) and playing the percentages for the knockdowns and set-pieces and having literally no consideration of anything other than driving the ball forward to gain territory. I think Allardyce is a lot more subtle than that, and there is actually a thought behind their long passes.

As for the game - it really is set up to be a tough one for us. Everything is set up to make things difficult for our own play - the only consideration for me is that we're at home, and we will probably have the best of the ball for the first 15 minutes, and if we can make that count, we might pull away early.

Offline Kop10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 4, 2013, 03:17:23 pm »

They are in the bottom three for short passes as well, alongside Stoke and Reading. If they were statistically high in those, then perhaps one could make a case for them being a mix and match side.

"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too. One year we came second." - Bob Paisley

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: April 4, 2013, 03:18:32 pm »
Allardyce and Rafa are similar in that they both try and control space and press the opposition and both play with tempo but they're also very different. Allardyce is happy to consistently create aerial contests and try and get on the end of them or pressure the opposition into a mistake. He creates chaos and creates intelligent movement patterns inside this choas to ensure his team is better organized in those situations. Rafa although direct does not do this. He also has intelligent movement but it revolves around precise play both in pressing and transition. Both have a high tempo, but both are very different approaches.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2013, 03:24:00 pm by DanA »
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 4, 2013, 03:30:55 pm »
I think our definitions are probably a bit different then, although you do have me thinking. For me,  a Long Ball team is a team that kicks every ball forward without thought (kick and rush) and playing the percentages for the knockdowns and set-pieces and having literally no consideration of anything other than driving the ball forward to gain territory. I think Allardyce is a lot more subtle than that, and there is actually a thought behind their long passes.

As for the game - it really is set up to be a tough one for us. Everything is set up to make things difficult for our own play - the only consideration for me is that we're at home, and we will probably have the best of the ball for the first 15 minutes, and if we can make that count, we might pull away early.

I get where you are coming from it's not simply a kick and rush team. Perhaps punt and hunt is a more apt description?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: April 4, 2013, 03:40:16 pm »
I get where you are coming from it's not simply a kick and rush team. Perhaps punt and hunt is a more apt description?

Ha ha I like that! "Punt and Hunt" :D

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #59 on: April 4, 2013, 03:44:50 pm »
Ha ha I like that! "Punt and Hunt" :D

I thought that was very good as well :)

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 4, 2013, 04:56:33 pm »
Reading over PoP's new tactical thread, I'm thinking more and more that this is the game that we should look at Coutinho, Suarez, and Sturridge as an attacking three and drop Downing to the bench.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: April 4, 2013, 04:58:51 pm »
Stopping Matt Jarvis is key

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #62 on: April 4, 2013, 10:20:35 pm »
Hope you don't me sharing that with a few West Ham supporters that I know!! :D

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #63 on: April 4, 2013, 10:32:56 pm »
Really hoping we play well and beat them easily, like to see us ahead so we could get jonjo and Suso on.
YNWA

Offline AULD-OLDIE

• Anny Roader
  • Quiza-un-dia
« Reply #64 on: April 4, 2013, 11:13:24 pm »
Stopping Matt Jarvis is key

Get Enrique to show him his body !!!
Truth - 12.09.2012.
Now for JUSTICE !

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #65 on: April 4, 2013, 11:27:25 pm »
For the love of God Brendan bench Downing please. We see some excellent players these days getting benched its not a big deal.

Last two games he was nowhere to be seen and we were playing Southampton and Villa not Barca and Real.

Sturridge scored a lot of goals for Chelsea on the right of 433, Suarez played decent amount on the right of 433 for Ajax. There are options, we dont need his defensive work that much as O`Brien or whoever gets to play there will be told not to be adventurous.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #66 on: April 4, 2013, 11:42:14 pm »
For the love of God Brendan bench Downing please. We see some excellent players these days getting benched its not a big deal.

This might not be the game to drop Downing.  One of West Ham's main threats will come from Matt Jarvis down the left so Downing tracking back and helping Johnson on the right will be important for us if we want to limit them pumping the ball into our box.  I thought he played quite well against Villa but personally I wouldn't change a winning team anyway, think the one we put out at Villa has enough to beat a team who will be without their in-form biggest threat on Sunday.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 5, 2013, 02:09:59 am »
Matt Jarvis has flopped for them. Not too sure if he's picked up some form in the last month or not but he was horrid before that.

We struggle to defend in the air. This game will not be easy and they'll most definitely score if they continue to whip in crosses. Should we play 3 at the back?
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #68 on: April 5, 2013, 07:23:35 am »

Last two games he was nowhere to be seen and we were playing Southampton and Villa not Barca and Real.

Sturridge scored a lot of goals for Chelsea on the right of 433, Suarez played decent amount on the right of 433 for Ajax. There are options, we dont need his defensive work that much as O`Brien or whoever gets to play there will be told not to be adventurous.

Downing won't get benched against West Ham. He probably won't get benched for the rest of the season.

At this moment time, I don't think he should either. He's justifying his place in the team, and has more upside than downside to warrant him playing week in and week out. He's stretches the play using the width of the pitch. He retains the ball, doesn't do anything extravagant but retains it. He also offers solid protection to Johnson, which we need because Johnson pushes further up the pitch.

If you had Sturridge on the right I don't think all those things would happen. Sturridge is good player and I've been impressed by him generally, but with Henderson seemingly a nessecity now, Sturridge may have to be the odd one out. I cannot see Coutinho or Downing getting dropped.
YWNA

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 5, 2013, 08:16:12 am »
Hope nobody's posting in here before doing their duties as an internet terrorist...    :wave

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=304846.0

Quote from: 24/7 on Yesterday at 09:50:55 PM

Some of you asked for the hounds to be unleashed.

This is a chance to batter LJMU with the full force of public opinion.

Make your opinion known.

Offline Snusmumriken

• Kopite
  • Don't believe everything you think
« Reply #70 on: April 5, 2013, 08:17:27 am »
Downing won't get benched against West Ham. He probably won't get benched for the rest of the season.

At this moment time, I don't think he should either. He's justifying his place in the team, and has more upside than downside to warrant him playing week in and week out. He's stretches the play using the width of the pitch. He retains the ball, doesn't do anything extravagant but retains it. He also offers solid protection to Johnson, which we need because Johnson pushes further up the pitch.

If you had Sturridge on the right I don't think all those things would happen. Sturridge is good player and I've been impressed by him generally, but with Henderson seemingly a nessecity now, Sturridge may have to be the odd one out. I cannot see Coutinho or Downing getting dropped.

I'm in the same thoughts, just hope Rodgers doesn't think he must get Sturridge in hence going for the weird 4-2-4 again. Surely we can all se the dilemma with having 4 attackers in good form, hopefully Rodgers doens't fall into temptation once again  :P

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: April 5, 2013, 08:19:04 am »
 Hope nobody's posting in here before doing their duties as an internet terrorist...   :wave

Quote from: 24/7 on Yesterday at 09:50:55 PM

Some of you asked for the hounds to be unleashed.

This is a chance to batter LJMU with the full force of public opinion.

Make your opinion known.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #72 on: April 5, 2013, 08:26:35 am »

Downing has been  very good recently but I'd be tempted due to his lack of goals to bench him and go with A front 3 of Suarez Sturridge and Coutinho with Suarez and Sturridge interchanging

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: April 5, 2013, 08:34:49 am »
 What part of Downing hasn't been discussed enough already? The hair growing out of his right toenail?

if you haven't seen this one - get on it, too, would you? Thanks, good people.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 5, 2013, 08:56:21 am »

Just took this, spot what's wrong.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #75 on: April 5, 2013, 09:00:39 am »
Thats about as close as Sky Sports have been to getting something right actually.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline FoolForPool

• Main Stander
« Reply #76 on: April 5, 2013, 09:17:13 am »
Ideally I would like to see Johnson rested and or sturridge on for downing.  I really miss seeing the threat from the right wing.  Johnson's runs are great, but his final pass/ decision  is so poor, and downing is much improved, but he is no threat at all in imho.  I know they provide balance, but I don't think Johnsons runs provide greater benefit than the problems the hole in defense causes.

« Last Edit: April 5, 2013, 10:18:22 am by FoolForPool »

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: April 5, 2013, 12:12:46 pm »
Probably worth noting that Luis Suarez is on 9 yellow cards for the season.  If he gets booked against West Ham, he will miss the Reading and Chelsea games.

If he avoids a booking against West Ham and is booked against Reading, he'll miss the Chelsea and Newcastle games.

If he avoids a booking in his next two games (West Ham and Reading) the second amnesty comes in to place and the 9 yellow cards are scrapped which means he won't face the prospect of missing 2 games (incuding the Everton game!!)

Get the game won by half time and sub him off. The possibility of European football is dwindling with each game, but while it's still possible, we still need to go for it. Chelsea and Newcastle are going to be difficult games so we're going to need him.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: April 5, 2013, 04:23:25 pm »

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=304831.0

If you haven't signed these petitions and you are

A. Discussing whether Skrtel will be here next season
B. Discussing whether Downing is the saviour of the right wing or shite with his right foot
C. Discussing whether Sturridge has gt an orange or a white bib ob ib training
D. Discussing whether season ticket prices are going to be £1,000,000 for sitting on the roof in the future
or E. blah fucking blah some more about blah fucking blah taht you've blah fucking blahed about 100 times before.

You are a useless selfish c*nt who should be ashamed of themselves. THIS is what being a real supporter is all about rght at this moment. Not pissing and moaning about something you can have no control; doing something you can actually have an effect on that is important to our city, our history and EVERY supporter we have. If you don't agree with me, you're an even bigger c*nt. If you're offended by me saying that, guess what? I have a pile of flying fucks here and I'm not giving a single one of them.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: April 5, 2013, 06:33:59 pm »
Well said Macca.