Author Topic: The Tipping Point  (Read 6057 times)

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Tipping Point
« on: August 20, 2007, 01:02:09 am »
I've been banging on about it for the best part of a year; last season we saw an influx of attacking talent come into the team and, as Rafa had hinted, we were in for a more expansive style of attacking football. The season before was one of the most successful in terms of league points gained; 82. In bygone times it would have been enough to have won the title. In this day? Not so. Still; the defence was miserly and the previous season's European Cup spectacle was followed up by another at the Millennium Stadium. The stage was set, it seemed, for the Reds to go to the next level; attacking prowess...

In came Kuyt; the goal scoring, hard working Dutchman who had been linked with Liverpool for a couple of seasons... Rafa had finally gotten his man. Jermaine Pennant, the former Arsenal winger who had an eye for a cross- although it would seem he was second choice to a certain Daniel Alves. A fast winger aptly named Gonzalez was also finally to come into the team in which he'd previously been refused a work permit- a loan deal and an impressive stint at Real Sociedad (in which he helped them escape relegation) followed... to complete the line up in came Craig Bellamy. Impressing at times with Blackburn the previous season, he came into the side with a reputation for being a moaning ass on the pitch and a bit of a loon off it. Still- he seemed to be a handy player. Fitting then, that he ended his season at Liverpool by reaching the European Cup final... but having twatted Riise with a golf club on the way. Nice.

It would seem we'd be doing well with pace up front and down the wings, goals from our strikers, and skill and flair in attack. Coupled with Rafa telling us about how he expected to leak goals because of the more expansive attacking style, it might have been that Liverpool supporters may finally see a genuine title bid from the Reds under Rafa. So, what went wrong?

The current 'big' players; Gerrard, Alonso, Carragher, Reina, Hyypia, Finnan, Riise... started slowly. The new attacking players took time to get going and settle into the team. And all the while we're playing games like Bolton away, Everton away, Arsenal away, Chelsea away and Man U away. The new expansive attacking style wasn't really getting us the goals we wanted, but we were sure as hell letting them in at the back. Another bad start to the league, with many factors contributing.

It would seem Rafa lost hope in that idea as the new attacking players just didn't seem to be working out (funnily enough, I'm got deja vu watching Nani and Tevez playing for Man U in the last week). The solidly organised defensive style was back and the idea of controlling the game before pushing for goals seemed to be going alright. Except for the bad misses when we dominated, and the mind numbingly boring ties where we couldn't break down a 2nd/3rd rate team, the season could have been salvaged. We were on our way to Athens after another successful season in Europe. In the final we dominated the Milan side with that style of controlling the game and hoping to make chances for the goals. I have to say it worked, we completely controlled the midfield of Milan and so, we controlled the game. Conceding 2 goals and not taking enough of our chances was hard to stomach. Really hard.

During that season we got taken over. Excited? Well it was a drama what with one of the richest families in the world looking to buy then in the last hour pulling out before the club was finally sold to two Americans. It would seem an interesting summer was in store:

"FF's sake, when will we buy someone"
"Time for G&H to put their money where their mouths are"
"OMGGMMG Henry was at Melwood!!!!!!!111"
"Eto'o, Tevez, Villa or Torres please"
"That Parry... what a CLOWN off on his holiday at this time"

And so far it has been an interesting summer. I don't mean the lack of sunshine either, the damn rain and floodi ... oh yeah, sorry. Well, new deals for our top players are sorted. Alonso, Gerrard, Carra, Reina, Finnan, Sissoko all done and dusted. Phase 1 complete ... on to Phase 2.

Fernando Torres. Babel. Benayoun. Leto. Lucas. Voronin. Kewell back (sort of).

And this is when we get to it. Finally replacing the players who weren't good enough last season with ones who will do the job this season. Even this year's preseason was different, unbeaten, scoring a few goals in stupid climates, compared to last year's which maybe wasn't taken advantage of as much (5-0 defeat to Mainz!).

League started last week, an away game. Two reasons why this game could looked at conservatively from Rafa. First game of the season. Away. But, we saw a fairly attacking side, Torres (fresh from his first goal against the mighty Shanghai Shenua) started, but with Gerrard and Alonso in central midfield. There was no Sissoko or Mascherano in the starting line up and with Pennant on the right, it would seem Rafa was going for it. And we created chances ... Gerrard looked very good in attack, and Xabi kept things running in the background.

Gerrard and Alonso. They're like chalk and cheese, yet they compliment each other like fish and chips. Erm... yer. In the first season it may have seemed that they could really play together. But for me, this season, they've started very well. When they're on the pitch together they know where the other is, and there's a complete trust between them. "How sweet" you may say. Well it is, especially when you watch their passing and interplay. It showed against Villa, both combined very well. Xabi picks the ball up. through ball to Gerrard, through ball to Torres/Kuyt and it results in a chance. Beautiful.

There is a catch though ... whilst Alonso has immensely improved his defensive side and protects the back Four well, he sometimes gets overrun as he's not the fastest and most mobile of players. Still, for me, that partnership is the best in games where we take the game to the opposition ... in other words; home games and those against the lower league teams away. In games where we may use more conservative tactics, the likes of Sissoko rampaging around the pitch (but probably doing little more) or Mascherano sweeping in front of the back four may be the better option.

So, what's all this 'Tipping Point' guff then?

Well, today I saw something that slightly surprised me.  I think I said it was scary/exciting. It was an attacking side with Gerrard and Alonso in central midfield against a direct title rival. Last time we got through this game with Gerrard and Mascherano, a slightly more solid option. It was brilliant football to watch and should have been a triumph. Slick passing, and a slick goal from our slick new striker. Alonso and Gerrard combine beautifully to set Torres on his way. A change of pace, ghosting past a defender and the Kop roars. And it should have been more.

That period before their 'goal' we were playing some swift one touch passing and it was truly a sight to behold. Torres was at the centre of it mostly - making the runs, holding the ball up with the silkiest of touches, turning on a penny and playing those cute one touch passes...

It would seem Rafa finally has that attacker he can trust to play a more expansive attacking style and not get stung by it. We let them in the game a bit, and they had a few chances; but the only one on target was the penalty. This season, I reckon we'll see Rafa really open up that side of our game. And the longer Torres is here the more we'll open up - because the more he plays the more he settles into the team. He links so well with others and makes those runs for the likes of Gerrard to pick out.

We've also seen Pennant settle in and he did well today; playing some good balls and linking well with Finnan and Torres. More of that is what Rafa wants one touch football, get it in the danger areas and finish off the chances. We have Kuyt who has also settled- he seems to run and run, and whilst he may not have the grace of the Torres' of this world, he has the heart and determination, and it'll get him far in my eyes. I still haven't talked about Benayoun yet- who's waiting in the wings. He replaces Garcia (who we'll miss), but whilst he may not have Garcia's unpredicatability, he keeps the ball and is capable of wonderful skill and vision on the ball to pick out other attackers. He'll be a good signing for us. Babel... a youngster who'll get a few chances this season- maybe better than Gonzalez, but I would be surprised if he gets many more chances than he did. He does seem to be better on the ball than Gonzalez, and has as ferocious a shot.

So, newer, better attacking players this season should see us playing that more expansive attacking style Rafa was on about last season. I think Rafa has more confidence in playing that way this season, he certainly seems chirpier than he was at the end of last season. This season though, along with those better players, we've got an easier opening fixture list to gain momentum and confidence and it would also seem that the spine of the team has started well as they've been well rested. Very well in fact. Gerrard, Alonso, Carra, Reina and Agger have started well with the captain the pick of the bunch. The easier opening fixture list along with those other factors hopefully means we can start pushing on and gaining momentum and confidence for that title bid.

It's that confidence throughout this team- from Rafa being confident that his attacking players can give rise to a more attacking game, to the players themselves being confident that they can truly challenge at the top that is the tipping point. It's a point I don't think we've crossed, more confidence, more passion and more determination is needed if we're to go for that big prize. And this season may just see that...

© BazC 2007
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 12:33:07 pm by Armin »
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Tipping Point
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 02:50:53 am »
Excellent post for your 10,000th BazC. There's a lot to be optimistic about since the start of the season and I agree with you at the 'surprising' team selection against a top 4 team and that was one of the most exciting things about yesterday's game. Agree too that Torres looks the business and is the sort of player Rafa has wanted all along, but was unable to afford until now.

I don't think Rafa will ever jettison his 'control the game first' philosophy though and I think that was in evidence yesterday - neither do I expect him to be as attacking when we play at Stamford Bridge. It'll be interesting to see how the team lines up in the next couple of games with SG out - do we have another 'attacking' option in central mid?
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline phoenician

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 04:24:50 am »
Whether Kuyt can perform that role remains to be seen. It's going to be big season for him, because he needs to be up his game and really deliver this season.

The first is that the attacking quartet doesn't seem quite right to me. Kuyt needs to up his game and deliver a bit more.

I agree that this is an important season for Kuyt in particular.

Against Chelsea I couldn't help feeling a wee bit sorry for him as I really feel he is playing a role that he's not best suited for. I think that if Torres continues to play more often than not and Rafa continues to ask his strike partner to play as Kuyt has played against Villa and Chelsea than Voronin could become the 1st choice option alongside Torres.

In the glimpses we've seen of Voronin he seems better suited than Kuyt at playing between the midfield and the centre forward. It's a role he has played before, notably alongside Shevchenko, and this could be a useful yardstick of his ability to create a similar partnership with Torres.

Guillem Balague - "Rafa's mate" - was on the Times football podcast saying that Benetiz had a hunch that Voronin could well make the biggest impact of his new signings this season. Judging by the shape of the team over the first two games I can see why.

I think Kuyt would be alot more effective playing a similar role to the one Torres is at the moment, particularly with a partner like Babel as a complement - ie a striker with real pace who likes to drop deep (ala Feyenoord where he was partnered in attack by Saloman Kalou). Otherwise I'm not confident that Kuyt has more to show playing as a '10' - as I say, Voronin could be the better fit. With luck though Dirk'll prove me wrong.

As for the front four, I'm already looking forward to Kewell returning to fitness as well as Leto and Benayoun settling in. I think we need to be able to rely on having more attacking threat from both flanks to prevent teams from clogging the middle channels as the season goes on. Being static in the final third has been a big problem for sometime now and hopefully we've got answers waiting "in the wings" (yeah,yeah). The chemistry will come - fingers crossed.

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:37:23 am »
Too bad you posted it at 2 am, I hate it when good posts like this don't get the replies they deserve. All in due time though.
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline xabi rules

• out winning title with Liverpool
  • Kopite
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 10:30:46 am »
It's nice to see some positivity and an objective analysis. Normally we wouldn't be so disappointed after a draw with Chelsea but many are treating it like a defeat.

Sure signs that we've come a long way. Still more progress to be made but I'm encouraged
'' I'd like to think that I have put more into the game than I have taken out. And that I haven‘t cheated anybody, that I've been working for people honestly all along the line, for the people of Liverpool who go to Anfield. I'd like to be recognised for trying to give them entertainment.''

The great Bill Shankly

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 11:04:25 am »
Even though in the past we have tended to start ferociously against the big sides, it was the line-up that raised eyebrows yesterday.  We picked a team that said we were really going to take the game to them, both on paper and on the pitch.

But for the awful penalty decision, our statement to the other big sides would have been very effective, we'd have been sat level on points with Chelsea, two ahead of Arsenal, and 3 ahead of United, all with a game in hand.  We can't blame the penalty decision though - we shouldn't have let our heads drop like they did, and it's disappointing we didn't get a second.

We do look a lot more adventurous with the likes of Gerrard, Torres, Babel, Pennant in the side though - and whilst United's forward line may be too dangerous to play the side we did yesterday, I certainly hope that we face Arsenal and Spurs with a side that we know is gonna go for it from the first whistle.

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 12:35:25 pm »
I'm not sure how much of an easier start to the season, Chelsea (home yesterday) Sunderland (away) with keane in charge always going to be tough.  Everton (away).  In fact ALL Premiership games are tough these days, okay there's some we SHOULD win but, there all not easy.

Plus the fact we always fall a game behind everyone else because of CL qualifying.  We need to finish 1st or 2nd so we have a chance of getting to the top end of the table early on rather than always playing 'catch up' with a game in hand.
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline leighton

• adopter of peasants, spelling mistakes are the iPads fault - obviously.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter @smee05
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 03:43:51 pm »
Too bad you posted it at 2 am, I hate it when good posts like this don't get the replies they deserve. All in due time though.
Everton fc, the slogans club. More slogans than trophies - now available in pink.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 10:39:17 pm »
Wonder where Consigliere's post has gone  ??? Good reply that as well...

Anyway, hopefully this season really will see a new style and team develop. I have been thinking though, that maybe the fact that it was the first home game of the season may have led Rafa to be a bit more adventurous in this tie than he normally would have. For example, if it was midway through the season... or even in the Champions League would he have gone for it as much (I think we ended the game with 3 strikers and Babel?)

I hope it's not just that reason which saw a pretty open attacking game yesterday- if we can do that to Chelsea, I'd think we'd be able to really take the game to pretty much every other team. In fact only Arsenal and Man U are the teams where a bit of caution might prove wise- seeing as they have so much pace on the break. But other than that, I don't see any other teams against whom we shouldn't go for it. I hope the games last season like Middlesbrough and Portsmouth (which both ended 0-0 at The Riverside and Anfield respectively) are a thing of the past...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 02:18:29 am by BazC »
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 12:34:56 pm »
Great article Baz,  a balanced review of last season and grounds for optimism for the games ahead.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline trezax

• Kopite
  • Fernando Redondo and Xabi Alonso in the middle
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 01:31:05 pm »

Anyway, hopefully this season really will see a new style and team develop. I have been thinking though, that maybe the fact that it was the first home game of the season may have led Rafa to be a bit more adventurous in this tie than he normally would have. For example, if it was midway through the season... or even in the Champions League would he have gone for it as much (I think we ended the game with 3 strikers and Babel?)

I hope it's not just that reason which saw a pretty open attacking game yesterday- if we can do that to Chelsea, I'd think we'd be able to really take the game to pretty much every other team. In fact only Arsenal and Man U are the teams where a bit of caution might prove wise- seeing as they have so much pace on the break. But other than that, I don't see any other teams against whom we shouldn't go for it. I hope the games last season like Middlesbrough and Portsmouth (which both ended 0-0 at Anfield I think) are a thing of the past...
0-0 at Anfield against Pompey and 0-0 at the Riverside !
I see your point though. This year have to be where we are seen as fearsome contender for the big prize !

Really Great post BazC!!!
I hope though all the players to be happy at the end of December and not asking for a transfert as we're starting to see in the media players moaning and agent asking for answers...

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 04:18:41 pm »
Nice article Baz

I hope it's not just that reason which saw a pretty open attacking game yesterday- if we can do that to Chelsea, I'd think we'd be able to really take the game to pretty much every other team. In fact only Arsenal and Man U are the teams where a bit of caution might prove wise- seeing as they have so much pace on the break. But other than that, I don't see any other teams against whom we shouldn't go for it. I hope the games last season like Middlesbrough and Portsmouth (which both ended 0-0 at Anfield I think) are a thing of the past...

I reckon Rafa finished with 3 strikers and Babel because he saw Chelsea were for the taking, the best form of defence was attack. If Chelsea were competently repelling our attacks and launching threatening counter attacks I'm sure we would have finished differently.
Both Chelsea and Utd need to get into their stride this season, which is the position we were in last season, if they can continue to struggle and drop a few more points between now and the end of September then things will really start to look good.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 04:29:59 pm »
Only just seen this - great read Baz. A very upbeat summary of a positive start to the season. Nice one. The key has certainly been our balanced midfield, imo. I really don't get people criticising Riise. Really I don't. I would go as far as saying he was one of the better players on the pitch against Chelsea. When you have somebody with the limitations Pennant does in front of goal, I think having somebody on the other side willing to shoot at every opportunity is imperative.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 02:15:48 am »
Cheers for the latest comments... thought this thread had dropped into the murky depths of RAWK... nice surprised to see it on the front page; my first that's been promoted to Opinion as well  :)

Only just seen this - great read Baz. A very upbeat summary of a positive start to the season. Nice one. The key has certainly been our balanced midfield, imo. I really don't get people criticising Riise. Really I don't. I would go as far as saying he was one of the better players on the pitch against Chelsea. When you have somebody with the limitations Pennant does in front of goal, I think having somebody on the other side willing to shoot at every opportunity is imperative.

Have to agree with that- I quite like the fact Riise shoots whenever he gets the chance, and said as much after the first game this season I think. He's obviously no world class left winger, but he did well against Essien in my eyes... and got into some good positions to score. Unfortunately he couldn't take his chances.

I wonder how this balance in midfield will be affected when the players get moved around- we still have Benayoun, Kewell, Leto, Lucas, Sissoko and Mascherano to come into the starting lineup. Love it that we have such strength in depth for this season. I do reckon that there are a few combinations in midfield that will give us such a good balance to our play.

Nice article Baz

I reckon Rafa finished with 3 strikers and Babel because he saw Chelsea were for the taking, the best form of defence was attack. If Chelsea were competently repelling our attacks and launching threatening counter attacks I'm sure we would have finished differently.
Both Chelsea and Utd need to get into their stride this season, which is the position we were in last season, if they can continue to struggle and drop a few more points between now and the end of September then things will really start to look good.

I hope Chelsea drop a few points- by the time we get upto the same level of games played, then I'd want us to be at the top- I think we can really push on in the next few games. I was looking at the fixtures, and we have got a few tricky games after these relatively (seemingly?) easier ones- it's important for us to get up to speed if we're to get through those. I'd hope to see Chelsea especially lose a few points, and if Man U take that little bit longer to come up to speed (and to be honest, I think it's only a matter of time until they do...) we'll have that perfect start that's been elusive for the last few seasons.

0-0 at Anfield against Pompey and 0-0 at the Riverside !
I see your point though. This year have to be where we are seen as fearsome contender for the big prize !

Really Great post BazC!!!
I hope though all the players to be happy at the end of December and not asking for a transfert as we're starting to see in the media players moaning and agent asking for answers...

Yup you're right- it was the Riverside!

To be fair, I think that the media have put the obligatory negative spin on things; I don't think Benayoun came here expecting a first team slot so easily (assuming you are talking about him) and those comments will probably be misinterpreted. As for the Crouch ones a week or so back; well I doubt they're true either. He always seemed to be a good pro, and it was he (I believe) who Rafa was talking about when he said that 'he'd be ready when needed'.

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 03:53:00 am »
Great article BazC, looking forward to a followup in a week or two...
Cheers