Author Topic: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe  (Read 334878 times)

Offline WalkOn

• Something of the twat about him
  • Main Stander
  • Optimus Prime - So Righteous
Re: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe
« Reply #760 on: February 5, 2011, 04:02:42 pm »

Footballers changing clubs is just like an employee changing company.

These days when a company downsize, sorry, right-size, they don't give a damn about the employee.
Same thing when an employee leaves for greener pastures.

Time to move on.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #761 on: February 5, 2011, 04:04:37 pm »
I repeat,

What are Chelsea certs to win THIS year? They aren't as good this year as they were last year.

It's a stupid statement though mate. Nobody is a cert to win anything this year are they?

Chelsea are the current Champions.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #762 on: February 5, 2011, 04:04:46 pm »
They had already brought a forward.

As stated by many it was clear Chelsea waited until City were out of the way. City bid for Torres in the summer and would of done this summer.

as stated by sid lowe you mean......may be true, they waited 3 weeks after city signed dzeko, but maybe that was to ensure there was not enough time for them to respond as maybe city could buy again.....rather, it could have been an attempt to push liverpool into a corner, with torres complicit.....however, lfc called their bluff

seems as likely to me

with regard to the move, suspect torres sees it as an opportunity to win the league and cl in the next 2 years (this and next season) ...for chelsea, i see it as an attempt to win the chamions league by abramovich....can't see any reason he would abandon his supposed fiscal conservatism and spend up big on a player who will move for much less in 2-3 years time, with an ageing squad and the requirement to meet stringent requirments fast approaching
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #763 on: February 5, 2011, 04:05:05 pm »
They had already brought a forward.

As stated by many it was clear Chelsea waited until City were out of the way. City bid for Torres in the summer and would of done this summer.

If City were not going to buy Torres now because of Dzeko then they wouldn't of bought him in the summer either. They are not exactly short of money.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: February 5, 2011, 04:05:20 pm »
City have more chance in winning things now than Chelsea do.

Whats with you and Chelsea?

yeah they're really tearing up the CL aren't they.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #765 on: February 5, 2011, 04:07:34 pm »
City have more chance in winning things now than Chelsea do.

Whats with you and Chelsea?

That just isn't true.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline tdonline

• It's a "conspiracy..."
  • Main Stander
« Reply #766 on: February 5, 2011, 04:07:36 pm »
had we auctioned him in the summer, Chelsea, Manchester City, Real, Ac, Inter, Barca, are you really saying 5 out of 6 of these would say no thanks?

Could have got more than 50 in a price war!

Barca don't need him and they will be making a huge offer for Fabergas.  What makes you think they could afford the both of them? 

Man City have enough strikers. So do AC and they will be paying for Ibra in the summer (his deal is a loan for the year followed by payment).  They have Pato, Cassano and Ronaldinho along with Ibra.  And when was the last time AC made a spectacular buy?  Same for Inter. 

Truthfully, the only clubs that would get into the 50 to 60M range are Chelsea, Real and City.  City have their strikers and he wouldn't go to Real.  And I know, pragmatically he would go for the trophies but I also think he's pragmatic enough to know his life would be hell.  It's not like he's in London away from Liverpool.  Playing and living in Madrid with angry and bitter Atletico fans would be a whole other ballgame. 

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: February 5, 2011, 04:11:46 pm »
I feel the CL is the only reason why he joined Chelsea. Roman wants the CL badly and clearly Torres does.

Chelsea will fall away when it comes to the league over the next few seasons but they will put all the eggs in the CL basket.

However Madrid are doing the same and others do also. Maybe it was Gerrard flashing the CL medal in Torres face that wanted him to move so much but the problem is if Chelsea dont win it in the next 2 years then Torres could find himself in the same situation in was in at Liverpool and thats playing in the EL cup.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: February 5, 2011, 04:13:17 pm »
Barca don't need him and they will be making a huge offer for Fabergas.  What makes you think they could afford the both of them? 

Man City have enough strikers. So do AC and they will be paying for Ibra in the summer (his deal is a loan for the year followed by payment).  They have Pato, Cassano and Ronaldinho along with Ibra.  And when was the last time AC made a spectacular buy?  Same for Inter. 

Truthfully, the only clubs that would get into the 50 to 60M range are Chelsea, Real and City.  City have their strikers and he wouldn't go to Real.  And I know, pragmatically he would go for the trophies but I also think he's pragmatic enough to know his life would be hell.  It's not like he's in London away from Liverpool.  Playing and living in Madrid with angry and bitter Atletico fans would be a whole other ballgame. 

exactly.
even if city get in to the CL next year, it's new territory for them.
ditto winning a league title.
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #769 on: February 5, 2011, 04:14:11 pm »
Seems to me people are making excuses for a self centered lying greedy bastard who has now left the club and should now be forgotten, basically enjoyed your goals now F.O.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #770 on: February 5, 2011, 04:15:02 pm »
I wasn't angry or bitter about him leaving, but these latest comments just make me want to smack the c*nt's lips off his face.

Never kissed the badge? Never loved the fans? Left with Gerrard's blessing? Desperate attempt to make himself look like the good guy. Pathetic, whiny self-justification, which I despise above everything else.

Fuck my previous good wishes. I hope Carra shatters his leg and it drops off.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #771 on: February 5, 2011, 04:15:19 pm »
ohhhh, you know someone, somewhere will put that in their sig  ;)

Offline target4998

• Main Stander
  • Cut me open i bleed RED!
Re: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid LoweConfirmed rentboy
« Reply #772 on: February 5, 2011, 04:16:10 pm »
Can I just say, I really hope that if he scores on Sunday he goes crazy, runs right up to the travelling Kop fists pumping, eyes bulging, and kisses the Chelsea badge.

That would make it easier for lots of people to move on. Just as he has. Don't be late about it.

u what!?

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Had sex with a swan
  • Legacy Fan
    • My LFC Blog!
« Reply #773 on: February 5, 2011, 04:17:27 pm »
Chelsea at present are a bigger club than us on the pitch i.e. current PL champions, in CL and likely to qualify again next season.  In every other sense Liverpool are a bigger club i.e. tradition, support, history, 18 league titles/5 euros, not built on blood money, younger average age.  Liverpool also look likely to have further investment which should lead to an improved squad and then the chances to compete for the top 4/league.  Short-term (basing off what Rafa did between 2004 - 2007) we could have a really good chance of trophies in 2-3 years with good decisions on and off the field and stability which we havent had since 2007 - 10

Torres made a decision on competitiveness on the pitch now, this is also a big gamble and may or may not go wrong.  Time will tell but the issue is that he moved to Chelsea and his behaviour/attitude and comments throughout this have been ill-educated

homepage: www.liverpoolmoods.com

Follow me on Twatter: @toggerguru

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: February 5, 2011, 04:18:22 pm »
Seems to me people are making excuses for a self centered lying greedy bastard who has now left the club and should now be forgotten, basically enjoyed your goals now F.O.

no-ones trying to justify his actions mate, just playing devil's advocate here and looking at it logically without all the histrionics.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #775 on: February 5, 2011, 04:19:29 pm »
It's a stupid statement though mate. Nobody is a cert to win anything this year are they?

Chelsea are the current Champions.

Yup. And with Torres in the team they will get more goals. Anyone who doubts that are kidding themselves
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: February 5, 2011, 04:19:46 pm »

Wow. Big, big commitment there mate.
@Samee
In Leicester?

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: February 5, 2011, 04:20:25 pm »
Chelsea at present are a bigger club than us on the pitch i.e. current PL champions, in CL and likely to qualify again next season.  In every other sense Liverpool are a bigger club i.e. tradition, support, history, 18 league titles/5 euros, not built on blood money, younger average age.  Liverpool also look likely to have further investment which should lead to an improved squad and then the chances to compete for the top 4/league.  Short-term (basing off what Rafa did between 2004 - 2007) we could have a really good chance of trophies in 2-3 years with good decisions on and off the field and stability which we havent had since 2007 - 10

Torres made a decision on competitiveness on the pitch now, this is also a big gamble and may or may not go wrong.  Time will tell but the issue is that he moved to Chelsea and his behaviour/attitude and comments throughout this have been ill-educated

yeah I'd go along with that.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: February 5, 2011, 04:23:20 pm »
Wow. Big, big commitment there mate.

heh, I'm counting this season too btw  ;)

Offline miakeks

• Legacy Fan
  • Quod erat demonstrandum. :P
« Reply #780 on: February 5, 2011, 04:36:14 pm »
Maybe even Bayern Munchen might have gone in for him? That would have been something for Torres to consider as well.

Mate, sorry to disappoint, but the total transfer money spent this winter in the Bundesliga was around the price we GOT for Torres. Anything above 30 million Euro needs to be approved by the DFB anyway.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.” (Voltaire, 1694 - 1778)

Offline miakeks

• Legacy Fan
  • Quod erat demonstrandum. :P
« Reply #781 on: February 5, 2011, 04:38:44 pm »
However Madrid are doing the same and others do also. Maybe it was Gerrard flashing the CL medal in Torres face that wanted him to move so much but the problem is if Chelsea dont win it in the next 2 years then Torres could find himself in the same situation in was in at Liverpool and thats playing in the EL cup.

I guess it was rather his Spanish NT mates flashing their CL medals in his face... just saying.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.” (Voltaire, 1694 - 1778)

Offline Fine Shagger, Danny Agger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: February 5, 2011, 04:46:45 pm »
I don't know if it's been posted, but apparently Nando's brother wrote a letter about it? It was tweeted by Sid Lowe, but it was written for a London paper, so other parts of the article were leaning towards Chelsea. Here were some of the relevant parts though -

My brother Fernando took a pay cut to join Liverpool ... he left because he was depressed
Simon Johnson
4 Feb 2011

"It has taken a heartfelt letter from Torres's beloved elder brother Israel, who refers to him affectionately as 'Fer', to perhaps remind them of their own contribution to the former Atletico Madrid striker's desertion.

It is natural for a family member to want to leap to the defence of one of their own but his communication with family friend and Spanish journalist Javier Matallanas on his website www.matador.com is both reasoned and believable.

He wrote: "I know it's good for Fer and is a big step up on a sporting level. It was what we all wanted because he felt very down, powerless at being in a club that was more like Atletico with its economic and management problems.

"We will carry Liverpool in our heart, as we do Atletico. They are two of the biggest teams in the world and all I feel towards them is gratitude for all they have done for us.

"Now a part of supporters hate him, [I think over time they will grow to love him again]. The reasons behind the switch are not financial [he went to Liverpool for less money], the reasons are sporting. His objective is to one day become the best player in the world and I believe that can only be achieved if he is surrounded by the best players. I hope the dreams of my brother can be achieved, the same ones as when he followed me about as a little boy. At no point have I stopped believing that he can become the Number One."

Torres jnr had little opportunity to justify his actions before his official unveiling in front of the press today.

Up till now his only words had been through Chelsea's in-house media and he simply stated that his decision was motivated by the prospect of winning silverware at the highest level. That only added fuel to the fire as far as Liverpool, who haven't won the League since 1990 and are set to fail to qualify for the Champions League for a second year in a row this season, were concerned.

The fact that he joined them from his beloved Atletico Madrid for a smaller salary when he arrived in a Ģ26.5m deal in 2006 has been forgotten. He took a pay cut in pursuit of major honours, yet three-and-a-half years later he was still no closer to a winners' medal having won nothing in Spain either.

Torres elected to stay, despite large bids from Chelsea and Manchester City last summer, following promises by Liverpool's former managing director Christian Purslow that big signings were on their way to ensure the club challenged for the title.

They ended up with Paul Konchesky, now on loan at Nottingham Forest, and a poor replacement for sacked manager Rafael Benitez in Roy Hodgson, who used negative tactics which ensured Torres saw little of the ball. The saint-like Kenny Dalglish may now be at the helm but it is too little too late as Liverpool find themselves adrift in a lowly-seventh position."

_

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23920511-my-brother-fernando-took-a-pay-cut-to-join-liverpool-he-left-the-club-because-he-was-depressed-it-wasnt-down-to-money.do
If you can see Martin Skrtel, he can see you.  If you can't see Martin Skrtel, you may be moments away from certain death.

Offline Shabby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: February 5, 2011, 04:47:05 pm »

Looking at it from another perspective is how I see, but you're right he no longer plays for us and should be forgotten. He was selfish, but as far as I'm concerned he has every right to be. To expect players to put aside their hopes and dreams out of sheer loyalty is unrealistic. People don't do with in their careers and football is no different.
Ģ15m? It seems low, but what people have to remember is that the fee is irrelevant.

Offline Fine Shagger, Danny Agger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: February 5, 2011, 04:49:32 pm »
Here's the actual letter, from Javier Matallanas website (http://matador.elconfidencial.com/)

-

OPEN LETTER BROTHER WHILE HIS BROTHER FERNANDO TORRES PASSED A MEDICAL WITH CHELSEA

By Israel Torres Sanz

Now that my brother in a medical examination by one of the best teams of today, I should feel happy and content (I am!) But I have mixed feelings by the change of club. I know it's good for Fer and is a big jump on a sporting level. It was what everyone did, because he felt depressed, helpless being in a club more and more similar to Atleti economic problems and problems with management. Liverpool also take heart, as Atleti. Two of the biggest teams in the world and all I feel towards them is gratitude for all you have given over the years.

Even now people, or part of it, hate it, (I think over time we want to return), the reasons for change are not cheap (and went to Liverpool losing money), are sports. Its objective is to one day become the best player in the world and I think that can be achieved only if it is surrounded by the best.

Feelings of love and hate. Fer mixed feelings now that is about to sign his new contract with a new club. I love my family and I love the place where I am and that I belonged. Atletico love, I love Liverpool, and from now on, I love the Chelsea.

I want to fulfill the dreams of my child, that little that was following me everywhere little boy, who at no time have I stopped believing that came to be the Number One already is in our hearts.

Love, your brother.

Now and forever: I de Fer.

-

Badly translated from Babelfish, sorry.
If you can see Martin Skrtel, he can see you.  If you can't see Martin Skrtel, you may be moments away from certain death.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #785 on: February 5, 2011, 05:00:59 pm »
I don't know if it's been posted, but apparently Nando's brother wrote a letter about it? It was tweeted by Sid Lowe, but it was written for a London paper, so other parts of the article were leaning towards Chelsea. Here were some of the relevant parts though -

My brother Fernando took a pay cut to join Liverpool ... he left because he was depressed
Simon Johnson
4 Feb 2011

"It has taken a heartfelt letter from Torres's beloved elder brother Israel, who refers to him affectionately as 'Fer', to perhaps remind them of their own contribution to the former Atletico Madrid striker's desertion.

It is natural for a family member to want to leap to the defence of one of their own but his communication with family friend and Spanish journalist Javier Matallanas on his website www.matador.com is both reasoned and believable.

He wrote: "I know it's good for Fer and is a big step up on a sporting level. It was what we all wanted because he felt very down, powerless at being in a club that was more like Atletico with its economic and management problems.

"We will carry Liverpool in our heart, as we do Atletico. They are two of the biggest teams in the world and all I feel towards them is gratitude for all they have done for us.

"Now a part of supporters hate him, [I think over time they will grow to love him again]. The reasons behind the switch are not financial [he went to Liverpool for less money], the reasons are sporting. His objective is to one day become the best player in the world and I believe that can only be achieved if he is surrounded by the best players. I hope the dreams of my brother can be achieved, the same ones as when he followed me about as a little boy. At no point have I stopped believing that he can become the Number One."

Torres jnr had little opportunity to justify his actions before his official unveiling in front of the press today.

Up till now his only words had been through Chelsea's in-house media and he simply stated that his decision was motivated by the prospect of winning silverware at the highest level. That only added fuel to the fire as far as Liverpool, who haven't won the League since 1990 and are set to fail to qualify for the Champions League for a second year in a row this season, were concerned.

The fact that he joined them from his beloved Atletico Madrid for a smaller salary when he arrived in a Ģ26.5m deal in 2006 has been forgotten. He took a pay cut in pursuit of major honours, yet three-and-a-half years later he was still no closer to a winners' medal having won nothing in Spain either.

Torres elected to stay, despite large bids from Chelsea and Manchester City last summer, following promises by Liverpool's former managing director Christian Purslow that big signings were on their way to ensure the club challenged for the title.

They ended up with Paul Konchesky, now on loan at Nottingham Forest, and a poor replacement for sacked manager Rafael Benitez in Roy Hodgson, who used negative tactics which ensured Torres saw little of the ball.
The saint-like Kenny Dalglish may now be at the helm but it is too little too late as Liverpool find themselves adrift in a lowly-seventh position."

_

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23920511-my-brother-fernando-took-a-pay-cut-to-join-liverpool-he-left-the-club-because-he-was-depressed-it-wasnt-down-to-money.do
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: February 5, 2011, 05:07:13 pm »
Torres came in 2007 if i remember well..

Also he signed 6 year contract.

Run away before the challenge... coward behaviour...

He didnīt walk on with us through the wind and rain, he had no hope in his heart, thatīs why he will always walk alone

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #787 on: February 5, 2011, 05:08:30 pm »

Its objective is to one day become the best player in the world and I think that can be achieved only if it is surrounded by the best

he was surrounded in spanish national team and still he wasnt picked as best player in the world...actually he was shite

what a small man he is...fucking garbage
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: February 5, 2011, 05:09:10 pm »
no-ones trying to justify his actions mate, just playing devil's advocate here and looking at it logically without all the histrionics.

Really guess you had better re read your posts, devils advocate my arse, you have used every excuse in the book for him, logically he left for more money , more medals is bollacks he has no way of knowing or guarantees of winning sod all with them! He left a liar and will always be remembered not just for his goals but the way he left, no honesty, no integrity, no remorse, no thanks to the fans that stupidly idolised him,  just a big fat wallet for yet another mercenary footballing whore!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: February 5, 2011, 05:18:24 pm »
Looking at it from another perspective is how I see, but you're right he no longer plays for us and should be forgotten. He was selfish, but as far as I'm concerned he has every right to be. To expect players to put aside their hopes and dreams out of sheer loyalty is unrealistic. People don't do with in their careers and football is no different.

In part I agree but nobody asked him to make that loyalty speech and state he would never play for another prem team did they, we didnt have some guy twisting his bollacks while he spouted that bullshit, had he come and said happy to be here and i will try to score plenty of goals that would have been enough!

But now it feels like that speech was a pisstake from start to finish! If he told me the date i would check the calendar!

I Don't care he has gone he is like Owen history, and we have potentially better now, but it is yet another lying prick who has shown his true colours that disappoints me!

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seņor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #790 on: February 5, 2011, 05:18:59 pm »
Torres left because he's impatient
Torres went to Chelsea because he's a liar

Offline F412OUK

• All hail the new Baldrick!
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #791 on: February 5, 2011, 05:19:04 pm »
I dont think people need to debate anymore about why Fernando left, he's clearly come out and said it today, when he said theres no more loyalty in football these days. All he's bothered about is furthering his career and trying to get as much medals as he can, FFS if he couldnt stay loyal to his hometown club Atletico we were stupid to think he'd be loyal to us.

That's why I have great respect for the likes of Gerrard and Francesco Totti(one of my favourite of all times), even though Gerrad flirted with the idea of leaving he didn't and thats that. These two players could have done what Fernando did and left to win trophies elsewhere, but they remain loyal to their hometown clubs
The general who became a slave. The slave who became a gladiator. The gladiator who defied an emperor = Rafael Benitez!

There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time - Malcolm X

Offline Fellaini

• Anny Roader
  • They talk dead funny but they play dead great
« Reply #792 on: February 5, 2011, 05:20:26 pm »

What he said

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: February 5, 2011, 05:24:30 pm »
I dont think people need to debate anymore about why Fernando left, he's clearly come out and said it today, when he said theres no more loyalty in football these days. All he's bothered about is furthering his career and trying to get as much medals as he can, FFS if he couldnt stay loyal to his hometown club Atletico we were stupid to think he'd be loyal to us.

That's why I have great respect for the likes of Gerrard and Francesco Totti(one of my favourite of all times), even though Gerrad flirted with the idea of leaving he didn't and thats that. These two players could have done what Fernando did and left to win trophies elsewhere, but they remain loyal to their hometown clubs

definitely agree with Totti.

edit and Stevie ;)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: February 5, 2011, 05:26:41 pm »

They ended up with Paul Konchesky, now on loan at Nottingham Forest, and a poor replacement for sacked manager Rafael Benitez in Roy Hodgson, who used negative tactics which ensured Torres saw little of the ball.

I do hope this is the end of the repercussions of the previous owners

Offline Coady

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #795 on: February 5, 2011, 05:33:08 pm »
Torres left because he's impatient
Torres went to Chelsea because he's a liar

I am not sure I understand that.
"When you hear the noise of the Bill Shankly boys,
We'll be coming down the road"

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: February 5, 2011, 05:36:01 pm »
Really guess you had better re read your posts, devils advocate my arse, you have used every excuse in the book for him, logically he left for more money , more medals is bollacks he has no way of knowing or guarantees of winning sod all with them! He left a liar and will always be remembered not just for his goals but the way he left, no honesty, no integrity, no remorse, no thanks to the fans that stupidly idolised him,  just a big fat wallet for yet another mercenary footballing whore!

maybe you should re-read my posts.
we were talking about why he went to chelsea, as opposed to somewhere else.
he's already got a personal fortune of about 13million, if you think he left purely for the dough, your daft.

Offline AshTJ

• Kopite
    • www.twitter.com/ashtjay
« Reply #797 on: February 5, 2011, 05:45:23 pm »
TORRES - IM AN ATLETICO FAN, I NEVER KISSED THE LIVERPOOL BADGE.

Fernando Torres believes that romance is dead in football, that nobody should be surprised to see one club's darling falling into the arms of another. Money talks, talent walks is the gospel according to Torres.

Questions kept being thrown at Chelsea's former Liverpool icon after training at Cobham, about what he would say to Steven Gerrard in the tunnel, how he would cope with Jamie Carragher's first tackle and how he would handle the venom of the Liverpool fans, who loved and lost him.

This very determined, very ambitious and very intelligent 26 year-old responded cogently, his each reply shredding into ever tinier pieces the fans' hope that their emotions could find an echo in players' hearts.

Kopites felt their relationship with Torres went beyond usual supporter-star affiliation, that a shared passion ran deep, particularly having read his book El Nino, seemingly a billet doux to Beatleville. To learn that their beloved had eyes for another felt the darkest of deceptions.

Liverpool fans should have checked the small print in the emotional contract, according to Chelsea's Ģ50 million man.

"I never kissed the Liverpool badge. Never. No. No. I never did. I see some players doing that one week after joining a club, but the romanticism in football has gone. It's different now. People are coming and leaving." The shirt is a uniform not a skin.

"I only want to score goals and do my job. When I was born in Madrid, I was not a Liverpool fan or a Chelsea fan. I was an Atletico fan. I still am. They're the only badge I will kiss.

"I understand the fans will be angry. I am a fan of Atletico and couldn't understand when some of the top players left. Football is like this: from one day to another, people love you and then hate you."

Stressing he will not celebrate if he scores tomorrow, Torres resented the "Judas" and "traitor" jibes. "That makes no sense. I played three very good seasons at Liverpool, left massive money there, lots of goals, good performances."

His disillusionment with life at Liverpool has been deepening for some time.

"It was the last two years maybe, especially with the old owners [Tom Hicks and George Gillett]. I realised at the start of the season that expectations weren't so high.

"People were talking about Liverpool winning the Premier League or finishing in the top four, but the club has to go slowly. I could see from the beginning we were in the relegation zone.

"It's been a very tough season. Liverpool's progress has not been the best, they've had problems with the old owners and are in a difficult moment, but I helped the team and did my job all the time. When the new owner, John Henry, came and brought his team with him, the club was moving in the right direction. But they will need time while I'm at my best age to play football now.

"I took the decision to leave Liverpool because I heard about Chelsea's interest. When you have a chance of winning the Champions League and the Premier League, competing with the best, you can't say no. In life sometimes there are trains that come your way only once and you have to take that train.

"I was lucky to be involved in the Spanish team winning the European Championship and the World Cup, but I want to win at a club. Most of my Spanish team-mates have won all the trophies in the last two years. This is an ambition of mine. When I'm 40, I'd like to look back and see pictures of me as a champion.

"Chelsea were pushing hard for me and I really wanted to leave Liverpool, so I told them straight. I explained my situation, my feelings, and was honest with everyone – face to face. That was maybe 10 or 12 days before the window closed."

The personal involvement taken by Roman Abramovich in the deal particularly impressed Torres. "The owner made a big effort to buy me. The value of the players is going down at the moment, but he paid big money for me because he has confidence in me." The fee did not trouble Torres. "Ronaldo signed for Real at 100 million [euros], so anything can happen."

Abramovich's enduring commitment delighted Carlo Ancelotti. "I asked just for Fernando and David Luiz," said the Chelsea manager, "and the owner was able to buy both. In the January window it's not easy to buy important players like Fernando and Luiz. The club did a fantastic job to do this."

Torres clearly required little convincing. "I know the plans, the ambitions for the future," continued Chelsea's new No 9.

"I want to be involved in that future: building a great team, keep competing with Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham, fighting to be the biggest club in England and the best in Europe. I have to think about my career. It's a step forward, everyone agrees."

Being a pragmatist, Torres would have stayed. "I was under contract and, if no one wanted me, I'd have played happily. Obviously, Liverpool didn't want me to leave. I told them I wasn't going to change my mind. So they tried to get the best money and a replacement. I had to wait until the last few minutes of the window to sign for Chelsea."

Torres could do Liverpool a favour by stopping United from beating Anfield's record 18 titles. Chelsea lie 10 points behind United but play them twice. "We have more possibilities to close this gap," said Ancelotti. "We have more power, ability, strength, experience."

The Italian said he would consider whether to involve Luiz, who returns this morning after a flying visit to the Brazilian embassy in Lisbon, and whether to start Torres.

"I'd like to play against Carra because he's a top player," said Torres. "I like playing against the best, as I liked to play against John Terry and Rio Ferdinand. I'm expecting a hard game. I know Carra's a big Liverpool fan. As a footballer, I'm sure he understands my decision. I'm sure he wanted me to stay, but it's the same as when I was playing for Liverpool, it was a big disappointment for me when Xabi Alonso or Javier Mascherano left Liverpool. I understood why they did it, for a new life. Plenty of my ex-team-mates have congratulated me for this move.

"Stevie G was one of the first who called me and supported me, hoping the best for me maybe because he was in that situation once [flirting with Chelsea]. He's been a very good friend and team-mate from the first to the last."

Gerrard, Carragher and the Liverpool fans encounter their old friend tomorrow. "I won't be nervous," said Torres.

Twitter - @ashtjay
Youtube - www.youtube.com/user/ashtjproductions

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: February 5, 2011, 05:45:34 pm »
I am not sure I understand that.

not surprised really!

like you said this thread is funny ::) :wave

Offline december16

• Main Stander
« Reply #799 on: February 5, 2011, 05:47:35 pm »
How can he be so disrespectful towards us after having received so much love?

It hurts  :'(  :'(