Author Topic: Simon Mignolet  (Read 325806 times)

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
Re: Simon Mignolet
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2013, 09:22:34 pm »
He does remind me a lot of Schmiechel down to the bollocking of defenders after he saves a shot  ;D

But does he 'make himself big' like Schmiechel used to, I love it when they make themselves big.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #41 on: October 1, 2013, 05:08:16 am »
The speed with which he reacts to make saves is staggering. Add to that, he always seems well positioned to make saves. Very impressed by him so far.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #42 on: October 1, 2013, 05:17:47 am »
Average mid table keeper bla bla bla  :no
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Online The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: October 1, 2013, 05:20:27 am »
Have I mentioned I don't give two fucks about his distribution? (I have...a lot... And it's fine btw)

He's quality. End of

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #44 on: October 1, 2013, 05:26:47 am »
Was always worried about when we'd have to replace Pepe but I think this guy can be better. Top keeper who can get a lot better I think. Saved us a few points already this season that's for sure, with shots I don't think Reina would've gotten down too.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: October 1, 2013, 06:37:04 am »
From my point of view we wouldnt be where we are in the table right now if Reina was in goal. Some of the shots Mignolet has stopped have been amazing. Can i say for certain that Reina wouldnt have saved them? No but if you look at his form of shot stopping over the past 2 years you have to seriously consider that he wouldnt.

The 1 on 1 shot he stopped with his foot yesterday was ridiculous. Dont think Reina would have stopped that.

Like everyone else says I could careless if he cant distribute for shit (which i dont believe one bit) because all i care about is that he stops the shots that arent meant to be stopped.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 1, 2013, 09:47:14 am »
Ridiculously good shot-stopping is what I would call it. A seriously good keeper. Wish we had him in the 08/09 season, would have won us the league.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline simsim

• Kopite
  • High tempo pass and move is the Liverpool groove
« Reply #47 on: October 1, 2013, 10:01:14 am »

Ridiculously good shot-stopping is what I would call it. A seriously good keeper. Wish we had him in the 08/09 season, would have won us the league.

Reina wasn't the problem that season the lack of goals was.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 1, 2013, 10:07:46 am »
The way people go on about Pepe's distribution you'd think that he found a man in red in space with every clearance

Yes he probably is the best at it but when comparing Mignolet's distribution in a game lets remember that every goalie gives the ball to the opposition at some stage

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #49 on: October 1, 2013, 11:31:49 am »

08/09 season was not a time when we had keeper problems. in fact it was the last season Reina was at his prime.
And at that time I don't even think Mignolet in his current form could have ousted Reina.

In a year's time hopefully Mignolet can develop into that player that Reina was then and hopefully even surpass him on a consistent and sustainable basis..
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #50 on: October 1, 2013, 11:43:22 am »
there isn't a need to go extreme. Fact is he has to improve his distribution.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #51 on: October 1, 2013, 12:04:38 pm »
His distribution may not be his best skill but he's brave when he decides to try a little
ball over the top or takes on the attacker with the ball at his feet.

Cool as fark is Simon lad.

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 1, 2013, 12:04:42 pm »
I'm not sure what Reina's long passing stats were like, but Mignolet's have been piss poor this season. Something like 1/6 of his long passes find a red shirt, and he plays it long maybe 3 times more often than he passes short. That's giving the ball back to the opposition an awful lot. In the Utd game he misplaced a pass 17 times - a big percentage of our total. Against Swansea 17 of our 73 misplaced passes were from him. Against Southampton it was 17 of 105.

I haven't looked at other keepers in loads of detail, but a quick scan suggests that most keepers find a target with a long pass in 30-50% of situations. I remember people looking at his passing stats (and Begovic's) in one of the transfer threads and, from memory, Mignolet's overall passing percentage was around 50% at Sunderland, so maybe he'll improve as the season goes on.

Of course the stats just bear out what our eyes tell us in this case don't they? The ball gets played back to Mignolet and you're thinking "please don't fucking hoof it again". That's not to say that I haven't been impressed by him so far. He's definitely earned his wages so far, and he's gained us points in a couple of games at least.

I remember PoP talking about the difference between 'technique' and 'skill' in the past. I can't remember which way round it is, but one is the ability to do something in isolation and the other is the ability to perform that action under pressure in a match day situation. I wonder if we're just seeing the effect of Mignolet getting used to the challenge of playing at a higher level club. Kind of like a striker who struggles when they've got time to think but scores goals when they're acting on instinct. He's doing the reactive stuff brilliantly at times, but when he's got a few seconds to plan a pass he wobbles a bit. I definitely think we'll see improvements as he settles in at the club.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2013, 12:09:00 pm by swordfishtrombone »

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: October 1, 2013, 12:06:50 pm »
Best shot stopper in the league bar none, quite comfortably too. He can work on his distribution though, i'm sure that'll improve given time.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #54 on: October 1, 2013, 12:10:08 pm »
Better now than Pepe ever was at shot stopping. But it's his distribution that can look a bit shaky. At least if he has to play it short often it's not THAT big of an issue
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #55 on: October 1, 2013, 12:13:10 pm »
I'm not sure what Reina's long passing stats were like, but Mignolet's have been piss poor this season. Something like 1/6 of his long passes find a red shirt, and he plays it long maybe 3 times more often than he passes short.

To be fair to the lad, not like we've got any decent target men up front.

Sturridge is class but not like he is the type of player to put his head in where it could get a thump.
Suarez is too busy elbowing the CB and backing into them to get his bonce on it.
Coutinho isn't going to win much in the air.

It's why Johnson and Enrique have to push so far forward to give him a decent target.

Offline DerKaiser

• It's German for "TheCheesyRanter". Likes young boys.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 1, 2013, 12:13:45 pm »
I really don't care if the keeper can distribute well. And that's not even old fashioned thinking. As long as he can get it quickly and safely to our players it's fine. Plenty of brilliant attacking sides out there don't have keepers with especially good distribution. It's a luxury, that is all.

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: October 1, 2013, 12:27:08 pm »
Thing is he isn't getting it to our players quickly and safely so far.

To be fair to the lad, not like we've got any decent target men up front.

Sturridge is class but not like he is the type of player to put his head in where it could get a thump.
Suarez is too busy elbowing the CB and backing into them to get his bonce on it.
Coutinho isn't going to win much in the air.

It's why Johnson and Enrique have to push so far forward to give him a decent target.

Aye no doubt that's part of it, and you're probably right about Enrique and Johnson as preferred targets. Rodgers has talked in the past about having the keeper chip the ball when we're being pressure high up the pitch. was it againdt City at the start of last season when Rodgers asked Reina to target Kelly?

hopefully that's something Mignolet can add to his game.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2013, 12:34:00 pm by swordfishtrombone »

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #58 on: October 1, 2013, 12:31:30 pm »

He's stopping the ball from being in our net, though
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #59 on: October 1, 2013, 12:32:04 pm »

Don't know about that mate, he got the ball to Suarez pretty quick from the corner for the 3rd goal.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 1, 2013, 12:33:49 pm »

He managed to get it to suarez quickly enough for our third, it's coming, its just gonna take a bit of time till it becomes second nature. I'd rather have a truly world class shop stopper and be able to work on his distribution than a keeper with great distribution but needs a bit of work on shot stopping.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #61 on: October 1, 2013, 12:39:00 pm »
Some of the distribution issues seem to have been addressed in training, and the three in front of him looked to be a good match, with some instruction possibly to pass back to him less as an automatic response, probably to Skittles as much as anyone, as the manoeuvre just switches the pressure from the defender to the goalie. That side of things did look much better with the one extra option. I am looking forward to seeing how Brendan shapes the defence for the next big counterattacking game, which will be West Brom, in our yard. You would have to say that 3rd goal was the counterattacking goal of the season so far.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I intend to live forever. Or die trying.
« Reply #62 on: October 1, 2013, 12:48:35 pm »
He's stopping the ball from being in our net, though

Exactly. You can teach distribution but you can't teach reflexes. I know which I'd rather have right now.
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
« Reply #63 on: October 1, 2013, 04:30:25 pm »
Simply the fact that we have not mentioned Pepe since Mignolet has been No1 says it all
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline Stringer123

• Kopite
« Reply #64 on: October 1, 2013, 04:31:04 pm »
Simply the fact that we have not mentioned Pepe since Mignolet has been No1 says it all
People mention Pepe and his distribution all of the time.

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 1, 2013, 05:14:07 pm »
Can't hepl being impressed with his shot stopping. Fantastic reactions and agility. Slight worry over his distribution but that will improve as he builds up relationships with the team.

I would like to see him play the ball so to speak on penalties. In that he watches the ball and doesn't try to guess the direction.

Very often takers will miss hit or place it, watching the ball, I maintain gives the keeper a better chance to save it.

Looks like he's here for the long term and we should get at least £8m for the unlucky Reina. (unlucky in that he didn't do that much wrong to lose his LFC jersey).

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #66 on: October 1, 2013, 05:24:49 pm »
Maybe if he aims for an opposition defender he'd have more chances of finding our player. Cause he never seems to find his way to the person he actually intends to play the ball to... And neither is he able to kick it long.

I don't know if our attackers are just about at the half-way line because he can't kick it long or if it's the other way round. But, either way, if they are near the half-way line rather than deep in opponent's half, it is risky as if we don't get possession, it could lead to the opposition coming at us in waves....
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline GoldenGloves25

• Kopite
  • You are a reptile, Carmichael!!
« Reply #67 on: October 1, 2013, 05:34:30 pm »

That was Pepe at his peak too, 08/09 season. He pulled some worldies out in that time.
A slave to rhythm and the fickle nature of charm.

Offline El Rey Leon

• Kemlynite
« Reply #68 on: October 1, 2013, 05:43:10 pm »

Disagree with this, Pepe did very little wrong that year, we just drew too many matches against average sides like Stoke and don't see a different keeper would have made any difference.

Mignolet has made a great start though and has the potential to be a fantastic stopper for us for many years to come.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #69 on: October 1, 2013, 05:45:36 pm »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline EmotionalCitrus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 1, 2013, 05:49:02 pm »
He is brilliant, one of the best shot stoppers in the league, couldn't give a toss about his distribution.

Online The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: October 1, 2013, 05:52:15 pm »

Disagree with this, Pepe did very little wrong that year, we just drew too many matches against average sides like Stoke and don't see a different keeper would have made any difference.

Mignolet would've saved Arshavin's 3rd goal...

..fishing!

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: October 1, 2013, 06:00:25 pm »
To be fair, if we had Suarez back then we'd have walked it. Could do this all day!

This season, suddenly I find I'm starting to get less worried about our defensive set up. Mignolet, Sakho, Toure in the heart of it. It's a serious improvement over what we've had, and when they're all up to speed, we'll see Mignolet going for the golden gloves this season.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: October 1, 2013, 06:02:33 pm »
I was well up for signing a new keeper as I had lost a degree of confidence in Reina after his final two seasons and I think we've signed one of the best in the guy. Phenomenal shot-stopper.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #75 on: October 1, 2013, 07:35:21 pm »
Maybe if he aims for an opposition defender he'd have more chances of finding our player. Cause he never seems to find his way to the person he actually intends to play the ball to... And neither is he able to kick it long.

I don't know if our attackers are just about at the half-way line because he can't kick it long or if it's the other way round. But, either way, if they are near the half-way line rather than deep in opponent's half, it is risky as if we don't get possession, it could lead to the opposition coming at us in waves....
More than could, it has. He single handedly prevents us playing possession football, until this weakness is sorted, but we may be compensating for that by his outstanding shot stopping combined with decent attack. It was far less of an issue against Sunderland, but we will not be playing them more than once again this season. I think this is improving, we will see.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #76 on: October 1, 2013, 07:37:16 pm »
Mignolet would've saved Arshavin's 3rd goal...

..fishing!

Mignolet now? Probably. Mignolet 4 years ago? Doubtful.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: October 1, 2013, 07:40:00 pm »
I like he's nose.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: October 1, 2013, 07:40:19 pm »
YNWA

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #79 on: October 1, 2013, 07:45:53 pm »
More than could, it has. He single handedly prevents us playing possession football, until this weakness is sorted, but we may be compensating for that by his outstanding shot stopping combined with decent attack. It was far less of an issue against Sunderland, but we will not be playing them more than once again this season. I think this is improving, we will see.
Spurs have the second highest percentage stats in the league yet their keeper has the fourth worst passing percentage stats at 39.2%.

It is a bit easy to say Mignolet is single handedly preventing us from playing percentage football. When the defence is deep like against Villa and United it is hard to pass out from the back. Against Sunderland and Stoke when we're pushed up a bit more the teams, and subsequently Mignolet's, passing stats are much better.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."