Author Topic: Simon Mignolet  (Read 325831 times)

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Simon Mignolet
« Reply #3320 on: April 23, 2014, 12:10:17 pm »
This is a comparison between the two from last season, pretty close to be honest...

Interesting that. Going on percentages though Mignolet tries to punch 30% of the time compared to Begovic 5%. I think Begovic is the best keeper in the league overall. Although he would have cost almost double to what Mignolet did and there isn't too much difference

Failed claims is interesting too, how bad was Reina at them. Begovic didn't miss a single one
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3321 on: April 23, 2014, 12:15:05 pm »
Interesting that. Going on percentages though Mignolet tries to punch 30% of the time compared to Begovic 5%. I think Begovic is the best keeper in the league overall. Although he would have cost almost double to what Mignolet did and there isn't too much difference

Begovic claimed more as a %, but as long as the ball is cleared I don't think that matters all that much. What these don't show is that for all we know Mignolet may not of been able to claim the ball a lot of the 39 times he punched due to how his defenders defended, where as Begovic had no need to.

Looking at the numbers of saves made and errors more than makes up for punching more to be honest!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #3322 on: April 23, 2014, 01:19:52 pm »
He needs to analyse how Begovic decides to come or not, to claim crosses. The man is unbelievable at it.

That's like saying Borini should analyse how Messi scores goals, and try to incorporate that into his game. In other words, players have different styles, genes, physical limitations, technical limitations, and tactical jobs in their respective teams - copying what another player does really well mostly doesn't work, as you have to play to your own strengths.

What Mignolet would better off doing in the off-season is watching videos of himself, looking at his mistakes, asking himself what he could have done differently, and then working on those aspects of his game in pre-season
Better looking than Samie.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #3323 on: April 23, 2014, 03:45:26 pm »
As I looked them up earlier, thought I'd share:

Liverpool goalkeeper big/clear-cut chance save stats:

Mignolet 2013/14: 9/28 (32%) saved.
Reina 2012/13: 7/25 (28%) saved.

Very little in it. Remember these are big chances as defined by Opta, so may not necessarily be ones you think of.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3324 on: April 23, 2014, 04:00:34 pm »
Some interesting stats I found earlier.

In terms of catches Mignolet is in the lower half but is pretty similar to a lot of his peers who also play for teams at the top end of the table.

In terms of punches he is one of the leading goalkeepers (and to agree with something Craig said earlier as long as the ball goes safe it doesn't really matter if you punch or catch):

In terms of saves/shots faced Mignolet is also one of the top keepers in the league:

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:08:13 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3325 on: April 23, 2014, 04:30:40 pm »
This is an excellent example of statistics that give you a good idea, but hide the most important thing (just like a mini skirt).

My (subjective) interpretation of these stats is that Mignolet is pretty much a good keeper, who has one significant flaw that he needs to work on, the one that's recognized by all (and not his distribution). The comparison with Begovic and Pepe from last season stats gives another part of the truth - the failed claims. The stats are small, but this is something that a good keeper cannot afford to do. Once committed to a punch/catch, you have to make it. That can be learned with experience. If Mignolet works to improve that aspect of his game, which also comes with "commanding the box", he'd be a much better keeper and we'd be set for a long time.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Jason_King

• Legacy Fan
  • Inspector of Wizard's sleeves and yawning donkeys
« Reply #3326 on: April 23, 2014, 04:37:02 pm »
Im not completely convinced by Mig, however I certainly feel he is a better option than the Pepe of recent seasons.

The dark cloud is his silly goals he gives away, although I still think if he and Pepe went head to head, he would still be worth more points.

He isnt great on crosses either, which he needs to work on. Similar to David James, although from what I can remember I think James got a right bee in his bonnet over crosses and ended up coming for literally anything within 15 yards of him as if to prove a point
A champion is someone who gets up when he can't

Offline Walk On

• Legacy Fan
  • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart ...
« Reply #3327 on: April 23, 2014, 04:45:00 pm »
This is an excellent example of statistics that give you a good idea, but hide the most important thing (just like a mini skirt).

My (subjective) interpretation of these stats is that Mignolet is pretty much a good keeper, who has one significant flaw that he needs to work on, the one that's recognized by all (and not his distribution). The comparison with Begovic and Pepe from last season stats gives another part of the truth - the failed claims. The stats are small, but this is something that a good keeper cannot afford to do. Once committed to a punch/catch, you have to make it. That can be learned with experience. If Mignolet works to improve that aspect of his game, which also comes with "commanding the box", he'd be a much better keeper and we'd be set for a long time.

Spot on. 

I think it was mentioned on TAW as well that for the first goal against Norwich, Skertl had it pretty much covered but Mignolet came out to punch clear and made a bit of a hash of it.  Its a developmental area... he's a young keeper but also it could be that the defense needs to trust him to come out and get these...
- Rebuilding the Bastion

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3328 on: April 23, 2014, 04:51:49 pm »
I'd be interested to see any stats on failed catches/punches for Mignolet this season in comparison to how many he has come for, also worth seeing these compared to other keepers this season too.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #3329 on: April 23, 2014, 05:01:40 pm »

Seriously the lad is a baby in goalkeeping years, he is at a much bigger club, he is learning some new ideas and skills of the game, he has saved far more than any alleged fuck ups, he is one of the major reasons with his shot stopping why we are top of the league, but by all means tear a strip of the lad and then display your complete football ignorance for all to see.

I was very upset when Pepe left he was a great servant to the club and especially respectful of the fans  through a tough period in our history,  but would i want him back now, not a chance in hell.

just one final thought why hasn't anyone asked why we let so many crosses come in to our box?
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #3330 on: April 23, 2014, 05:07:40 pm »
I agree with Touchstone, the lads still a kid. People may compare him with Reina and Courtios but Mignolet seems to have better shot stopping than both of them at this time.

Courtois is in a less physical league, and lets see how he does if he even comes to England.

But I think Mignolet has a very good mentality and he will only improve. Especially with his distribution.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3331 on: April 23, 2014, 05:23:06 pm »
Seriously the lad is a baby in goalkeeping years, he is at a much bigger club, he is learning some new ideas and skills of the game, he has saved far more than any alleged fuck ups, he is one of the major reasons with his shot stopping why we are top of the league, but by all means tear a strip of the lad and then display your complete football ignorance for all to see.

I was very upset when Pepe left he was a great servant to the club and especially respectful of the fans  through a tough period in our history,  but would i want him back now, not a chance in hell.

just one final thought why hasn't anyone asked why we let so many crosses come in to our box?

Completely right.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3332 on: April 28, 2014, 12:52:15 pm »
What a save that was at 0-1 from Schurrle.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3333 on: April 28, 2014, 01:20:01 pm »
Couldn't do shit about the goals, pulled out 2 excellent saves - 1 from Cole and 1 from Schurle.. Thought he commanded his box far better against some chav typical scumbag tactics at corners.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #3334 on: April 28, 2014, 01:29:39 pm »
Together, let's blame him for their second goal. :D
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline CarlitoB

• [color=white]CT fucked about with in unoriginal manner.[/color] Likes to brew up a storm in a teacup... (no one died in the making of this CT)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3335 on: April 28, 2014, 02:14:41 pm »

Seriously the lad is a baby in goalkeeping years

Reina had won 3 Golden Glove awards when he was the same age as this "baby".  The only thing Mignolet will win this year is the Lead Boot award.

Ask Linda Blair.
"God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that."

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3336 on: April 28, 2014, 02:19:22 pm »
Reina had won 3 Golden Glove awards when he was the same age as this "baby".  The only thing Mignolet will win this year is the Lead Boot award.

Ask Linda Blair.
Golden gloves is as much about the defense a goalkeeper is playing behind than the ability of the keeper.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:23:44 pm by Funky_Gibbons »

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3337 on: May 5, 2014, 09:00:13 pm »
Cracking first half from Mignolet. Two great saves and a quality punch from a set piece so far.

Keep it up Mig.

Offline Wiss_LFC

• Wuss_WUM: Diss_missed but won't be ATALL_missed.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3338 on: May 5, 2014, 10:57:57 pm »
Thought he was the only shining light out there tonight, kept us in the game at time with some great saves and punching..
I'll bring out the stats and heat maps if we sign him.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #3340 on: May 5, 2014, 11:01:05 pm »
Superb keeper.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Wiss_LFC

• Wuss_WUM: Diss_missed but won't be ATALL_missed.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3341 on: May 5, 2014, 11:01:54 pm »
I'll bring out the stats and heat maps if we sign him.

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3342 on: May 5, 2014, 11:04:48 pm »
Don't care what anyone says. Mignolet for me is one of the best shot stoppers around.

Offline Carly

• Rafa Obsessive. Wales Rugby Union fan. Defianately!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3343 on: May 5, 2014, 11:24:40 pm »
Fantastic today.  But once again an excellent performance overshadowed by the shit defending in front of him.

Offline Je99ers

• Kopite
« Reply #3344 on: May 5, 2014, 11:26:53 pm »
Should Liverpool have gone for the right Belgium goalkeeper like Courtois?

Bad joke   :butt   ;D

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3345 on: May 5, 2014, 11:36:17 pm »

Should Liverpool have gone for the right Belgium goalkeeper like Courtois?

Bad joke   :butt   ;D

Nah,I really think Mignolet is the better keeper.

Offline Newman96

• Look into his eyes. Pure evil.
  • Kopite
« Reply #3346 on: May 5, 2014, 11:40:55 pm »
Nah,I really think Mignolet is the better keeper.
I think Mignolet is a good keeper, although Courtois is much better.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3347 on: May 5, 2014, 11:41:38 pm »
Thought he was excellent tonight. Dealt with crosses very well and his shot-stopping was superb as always.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3348 on: May 5, 2014, 11:47:53 pm »
He actually kept us in the title race tonight. Well done Simon and can you please place a foot up every defensive players arse the next week or so.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline welshred1976

• Legacy Fan
  • make us dream
« Reply #3349 on: May 6, 2014, 12:49:30 pm »
After watching this season he's a brilliant shot stopper but distribution and claiming crosses both not good at all. Seems a strange choice considering what Brendan wants from a keeper.
“The status of the club is incredible, but it’s only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... it’s more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3350 on: May 6, 2014, 01:48:04 pm »
After watching this season he's a brilliant shot stopper but distribution and claiming crosses both not good at all. Seems a strange choice considering what Brendan wants from a keeper.
What does Rodgers want from a keeper? You seem to have a better idea than he does.

And you know the distribution thing has been proven as rubbish on numerous occasions.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3351 on: May 6, 2014, 01:56:46 pm »
And you know the distribution thing has been proven as rubbish on numerous occasions.

Isn't he statistically the best in the Premiership?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3352 on: May 6, 2014, 01:59:59 pm »
Isn't he statistically the best in the Premiership?
The last time I checked he was second or third but it wouldn't surprise me if he is top by now considering only three players had higher passing percentages than him yesterday.

Offline Carly

• Rafa Obsessive. Wales Rugby Union fan. Defianately!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3353 on: May 6, 2014, 02:07:27 pm »
On a whole he's been class in his first season with us, and he'll only get better.  Just need to sort that crappy defence in front of him though.

Offline redhokie8

• Kopite
« Reply #3354 on: May 6, 2014, 02:44:44 pm »
I think he's been great all season. His distribution and his ability of crosses has improved 10-fold as the season has progressed. He is still very young and will only get better. He could potentially become world class in the next few seasons. I'm quite excited about the future with him.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3355 on: May 6, 2014, 02:52:01 pm »
Just missed Mignolet in my local butchers.  The butcher is a red and was telling me Mignolet was in a pretty serious mood!

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #3356 on: May 6, 2014, 03:22:13 pm »
The last time I checked he was second or third but it wouldn't surprise me if he is top by now considering only three players had higher passing percentages than him yesterday.

Mignolet is currently the top keeper for passing in the Premier League - 66.8% accuracy.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3357 on: May 6, 2014, 03:23:45 pm »
First season here, challenging for the title, hasn't really had a settled back 4 all season, great shot stopper, can only get better. What else are we expecting?

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #3358 on: May 6, 2014, 03:38:44 pm »
He's had a very good 1st season, I think he's a great keeper with room to improve in certain areas. Lets hope with an improved and settled defence next season he'll get a few more clean sheets that he deserves.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3359 on: May 6, 2014, 03:40:30 pm »
Made some top saves yesterday. When he tipped the ball over from Jedinaks shot>