Author Topic: Martin Ronald Kelly  (Read 144087 times)

Offline gloves

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Martin Kelly
« Reply #160 on: November 8, 2010, 12:22:45 pm »
Great game considering his age and that it was against Chelsea's left side!  I'd forgotten how big he is!

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
« Reply #161 on: November 8, 2010, 01:12:04 pm »
Another solid performance from him to be honest, definately deserves and run looked class defensively and wasn't bad going forward. Well done Martin.
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: November 8, 2010, 01:23:35 pm »
definitely deserves to retain his place.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #163 on: November 8, 2010, 01:35:41 pm »
Thought he was excellent.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #164 on: November 8, 2010, 01:51:54 pm »
Was it only me who noticed Kelly asking for more help and this leading to Dirk actually being put onto the right?

The lad had Malouda and Cole doubling up on him constantly, thankfully that lad Lucas kept coming over to help him out
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline mbutu

• Main Stander
« Reply #165 on: November 8, 2010, 01:56:33 pm »
Did very well, cramped up early but sucked it up and finished like a champ..

Thought he was gonna score when he hit that left-footed strike!

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: November 8, 2010, 01:57:53 pm »
He should keep his place.  Did nothing wrong when given a chance.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #167 on: November 8, 2010, 09:42:50 pm »
 paul_tomkins Paul Tomkins
RT @empireofthekop: Martin Kelly to get new 3 year contract http://bit.ly/aibHkL

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #168 on: November 8, 2010, 09:48:41 pm »
paul_tomkins Paul Tomkins
RT @empireofthekop: Martin Kelly to get new 3 year contract http://bit.ly/aibHkL

Interesting contract length... Is that certain? From what I read about NESV, the contract should be for a significantly longer term, but maybe I'm wrong. The difference is that in the US baseball contracts are honored, which would mean that he'd be expected to be with us at least for 3 years. But in football, with the Bosman rule in mind, 3 years means that he/we has/have to renegotiate again next year or risk losing him on the cheap.

Any thoughts? Has the NESV metrics system kicked in, or are they postponing long-term contracts until it does?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: November 8, 2010, 09:52:32 pm »
Interesting contract length... Is that certain? From what I read about NESV, the contract should be for a significantly longer term, but maybe I'm wrong. The difference is that in the US baseball contracts are honored, which would mean that he'd be expected to be with us at least for 3 years. But in football, with the Bosman rule in mind, 3 years means that he/we has/have to renegotiate again next year or risk losing him on the cheap.

Any thoughts? Has the NESV metrics system kicked in, or are they postponing long-term contracts until it does?

I'd say it makes sense.

The fairytale answer would be that he gets a 6 year contract, but who's to say what will happen? He wouldn't be the first player to start well only to fall in to obscurity. 12 months down the line (when we will need to have a look at his contract situation) we will be in a better position to judge him (as he will have more experience) and can then tie him in to a longer contract if he's progressing well - or - if things have gone the other way, we're not spending reasonably big money on someone who won't make the grade.

3 years is still a good show of faith, but it's fairly pragmatic too.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: November 8, 2010, 09:57:29 pm »
Of all our youngsters, I'd be most surprised if Kelly doesn't have a very good career in football playing for a top 6 club, I even think there's international potential for him.  I'm personally not convinced centre half is his best position either.  I've seen him play a fair bit in the reserves and in pre-season friendlies playing in both positions and I think he's a better player from right back.

He's strong, good in the air, quick and decent on the ball and his delivery is very good.  I think he's going to be a top player for us.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: November 8, 2010, 09:59:27 pm »
Of all our youngsters, I'd be most surprised if Kelly doesn't have a very good career in football playing for a top 6 club, I even think there's international potential for him.  I'm personally not convinced centre half is his best position either.  I've seen him play a fair bit in the reserves and in pre-season friendlies playing in both positions and I think he's a better player from right back.

He's strong, good in the air, quick and decent on the ball and his delivery is very good.  I think he's going to be a top player for us.
Shushhhhhhhhhh, and touch wood! Agger was "never injured" when he came in...

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: November 8, 2010, 09:59:47 pm »

I would be more concerned if he wasn't Scouse.
With him being local and raised through the ranks it's a bit different to somebody who was imported at 17 and has already experienced moving clubs.

The moulding of Kelly starts now, he needs to be given games.  He will only get better by playing football, like Carragher when he first started he is very raw and has talent but lacks the experience to get his positioning perfect.
I remember in Carragher's first 2 seasons he got ripped to pieces by, I'd say, the majority of people - nobody wanted to get rid and you could see he would come good but I think Kelly might have to go through this baptism of fire himself.  Most centre backs do.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: November 8, 2010, 10:01:33 pm »
I remember in Carragher's first 2 seasons he got ripped to pieces by, I'd say, the majority of people - nobody wanted to get rid and you could see he would come good but I think Kelly might have to go through this baptism of fire himself.  Most centre backs do.

Sounds a lot like Insua too. Will be interesting to see what the reaction will be when he (inevtably) has some poor games for us.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: November 8, 2010, 10:02:33 pm »
Good point, Degs, I didn't factor his Scouse roots... (Agree with the rest too).

Offline Istillstilltrustrafa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Peace..
« Reply #175 on: November 8, 2010, 10:04:34 pm »
Reminds me a bit of John O'Shea  :o in the sense that he could cover a few posistions along the back capably.

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: November 8, 2010, 10:06:43 pm »
Sounds a lot like Insua too. Will be interesting to see what the reaction will be when he (inevtably) has some poor games for us.
It depends what the state of the squad is.
Look at the likes of Rafael at the Mancs and he has been eased in very gently because they have Brown, Neville, and O'Shea, he is left out when he's on a shocking run and nothing gets said.

Insua was lambasted because he made a mistake, whether it was positioning, tackling etc,. almost every match with no respite.  Insua wasn't being blooded he was being sacrificed.

Johnson is the one being looked at now because he's in a very similar situation to Insua last season, he's in a team that relies on a strong defence and it turns out he can't defend.  There's a place for Kelly in a side like this.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: November 8, 2010, 10:07:51 pm »

It'll be interesting to see how fit he can get.

The injuries over the years have taken away that regular training where the stamina is built up but he is also a really big lad so will never have the legs of someone like Ashley Cole. If he is to be a right back (and I'm not sure I'd agree with that) then I guess his aim would be a Markus Babbel type player but he needs to be a really good athlete to acheive that.

I'd still say he was more a centre half but in any event he is getting crucial game time now and is part of the first team squad at the age of 20 which is massive. He's probably already played 7 or 8 games this season so it really is a breakthrough for him.

Great addition to the squad at worst, potential to be very very good at best. Brilliant and just what the youth development programme is all about.

Online kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: November 8, 2010, 10:08:50 pm »
Kelly's 3 year contract makes sense because in about 2 years you'd expect him to have progressed to a level beyond this contract and it would need re-negotiating.
@paulair

Offline B_I_F

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #179 on: November 8, 2010, 10:10:29 pm »

To be honest, very long contracts in North American sports are usually a way to trick the wage cap they have. Plus I doubt Kelly wants a longer contract anyway, afterall his negotiation position is quite weak now compared to what it can be within the next 2-3 years...

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: November 8, 2010, 10:12:27 pm »
Kelly's 3 year contract makes sense because in about 2 years you'd expect him to have progressed to a level beyond this contract and it would need re-negotiating.
What do you reckon ?

3 years at 25k a week plus appearance money.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: November 8, 2010, 10:13:21 pm »
To be honest, very long contracts in North American sports are usually a way to trick the wage cap they have. Plus I doubt Kelly wants a longer contract anyway, afterall his negotiation position is quite weak now compared to what it can be within the next 2-3 years...
Well, that's what I fear... Call me selfish, but I want the club to be in a strong position, and the player in a weak position so that switching clubs doesn't cross the mind of a player who we need. But as Degs said, he's Scouse, and that goes some way to keep him hooked.

Online kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: November 8, 2010, 10:22:37 pm »
--- Quote from: bigbear on Today --- What do you reckon ?

3 years at 25k a week plus appearance money.

--- End quote ---

Don't ask me mate. All footballers contracts sound ridiculous to me!
@paulair

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: November 8, 2010, 10:30:22 pm »
It depends what the state of the squad is.
Look at the likes of Rafael at the Mancs and he has been eased in very gently because they have Brown, Neville, and O'Shea, he is left out when he's on a shocking run and nothing gets said.

Insua was lambasted because he made a mistake, whether it was positioning, tackling etc,. almost every match with no respite.  Insua wasn't being blooded he was being sacrificed.

Johnson is the one being looked at now because he's in a very similar situation to Insua last season, he's in a team that relies on a strong defence and it turns out he can't defend.  There's a place for Kelly in a side like this.

Yeah but often those who were criticising him last season weren't taking into consideration his age, lack of experience and the fact that he played too many matches last season. If Kelly's to stay here, then he'll need to play at some time and as soon as Kelly makes a few mistakes or has a run of poor games, then I think the knives will be out. I hope they won't but past experience in recent times (Insua, Lucas to name but 2) suggests otherwise.

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: November 8, 2010, 10:46:21 pm »
Yeah but often those who were criticising him last season weren't taking into consideration his age, lack of experience and the fact that he played too many matches last season. If Kelly's to stay here, then he'll need to play at some time and as soon as Kelly makes a few mistakes or has a run of poor games, then I think the knives will be out. I hope they won't but past experience in recent times (Insua, Lucas to name but 2) suggests otherwise.
It will happen with any young player who is played week in week out.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: November 8, 2010, 10:55:03 pm »
It will happen with any young player who is played week in week out.

Yeah, I just think it's wrong.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #186 on: November 9, 2010, 12:47:15 am »
10 years at 100k per week. job safe. contract safe. happy days for me and all.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Franky

• Do you remember me? Clueless kneejerk who should not be confused with the decent poster on here called Frank. Alienated from the sheep and won't lick John Henry's arse
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: November 9, 2010, 12:52:41 am »
He's our greatest prospect. He's got a strong body and the right attitude, I reckon he's gonna go far this lad.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: November 9, 2010, 12:56:11 am »
He's our greatest prospect. He's got a strong body and the right attitude, I reckon he's gonna go far this lad.

Same with Ayala and Darby and Robinson. The greatest. EVER.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Franky

• Do you remember me? Clueless kneejerk who should not be confused with the decent poster on here called Frank. Alienated from the sheep and won't lick John Henry's arse
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: November 9, 2010, 01:07:11 am »
Same with Ayala and Darby and Robinson. The greatest. EVER.
I don't understand the irony in your post. This is what I believe. Kelly looked much better than all the players you mentioned. He also seems quite confident, which is very important.

Offline cyador

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: November 9, 2010, 01:15:25 am »
I'd personally argue the point that ayala is just as good a prospect as him, if not better, but its all opinions.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: November 9, 2010, 01:16:17 am »
I don't understand the irony in your post. This is what I believe. Kelly looked much better than all the players you mentioned. He also seems quite confident, which is very important.

Are you mocking Ayala, young robinson and young darby? Do you not watch reserve and youth team matchs?

Offline Franky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: November 9, 2010, 01:19:19 am »
I'd personally argue the point that ayala is just as good a prospect as him, if not better, but its all opinions.
Yep, it's all opinions. To me Kelly more solid and confident defender.

Are you mocking Ayala, young robinson and young darby? Do you not watch reserve and youth team matchs?
fail.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: November 9, 2010, 01:24:24 am »
Yep, it's all opinions. To me Kelly more solid and confident defender.
fail.

Go fail yourself sunshine. We have outstanding young talent coming through. If that's a problem for you, then I can care less.

Offline REDcrazy

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #194 on: November 9, 2010, 02:09:42 am »
After his impressive showing against Chelsea, I think it's fair to say that the lad's got his sights on a permanent starting role.  ;)

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: November 9, 2010, 05:26:11 am »

Got to say I'm of the opinion that Kelly has shown significantly more than any other prospect we have coming through. Not to say we don't have some good young players.

N'goo, Suso, Robinson, Flanagan, Wisdom, Silva & Sterling all look exceptional young players but a few more years till we will know for sure.

Ngog, Pacheco, Wilson, will certainly make it at a high level but to me Kelly looks like he'll be a class player for us of Jamie Carragher's level. I couldn't say the same for the others except perhaps Shelvey who also has amazing potential.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2010, 05:29:53 am by DanA »
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #196 on: November 9, 2010, 05:41:30 am »
Good news that he has signed a new contract, should get a few more games though and be introduced slowly....

Look at Insua, great potential but overplayed last season due to the missing Aurelio (becoming Degen 2.0...) and got slated by our own 'supporters'....

Our backline for the next few years..... assuming Insua comes back and Agger stays...

Kelly/Darby   Wilson/Ayala   Agger/Skrtel   Insua/Mavinga

Offline opsteo

• Kopite
« Reply #197 on: November 9, 2010, 06:59:03 am »
Good news that he has signed a new contract, should get a few more games though and be introduced slowly....

Look at Insua, great potential but overplayed last season due to the missing Aurelio (becoming Degen 2.0...) and got slated by our own 'supporters'....

Our backline for the next few years..... assuming Insua comes back and Agger stays...

Kelly/Darby   Wilson/Ayala   Agger/Skrtel   Insua/Mavinga

Should it be Kelly as CB ahead of Wilson and Ayala?  I remember Ayala last season, I think that Kelly is more calm and determine to get into 'harm's way' with his body (ala Carragher style if things get more desperate)

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: November 9, 2010, 04:04:43 pm »
Should it be Kelly as CB ahead of Wilson and Ayala?  I remember Ayala last season, I think that Kelly is more calm and determine to get into 'harm's way' with his body (ala Carragher style if things get more desperate)

Too early for a CB starting role for either of them, imho. But 30 min here and there...

Offline MaschHead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: November 9, 2010, 04:06:50 pm »

Ayala has probably more experience now, seems he's starting every game at Hull and doing well.