Author Topic: Leeds fans killed in Turkey - 10 years on.  (Read 6146 times)

Offline Rigga

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Leeds fans killed in Turkey - 10 years on.
« on: April 4, 2010, 10:31:34 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/8602422.stm

Leeds United chairman Ken Bates has said Turkey's failure to jail the killers of two of the club's fans suggests it is not ready for EU entry.

The businessman made the comments as he backed an appeal for justice for Chris Loftus and Kevin Speight, who were stabbed in Istanbul on 5 April 2000.

The pair died on the eve of United's Uefa Cup semi-final against local side Galatasaray.

Mr Bates said: "Why after 10 years is there no justice?"

His comments followed a match day tribute to Mr Loftus and Mr Speight at Elland Road on Saturday.

The event coincided with the families of the murdered fans unveiling a new appeal to get justice for the men.

'Tough state'

Speaking on the club's website, Mr Bates said: "We were holding a minute's silence before the Swindon match and it was silence not applause because we were mourning their lives after they were murdered in Turkey.

"I would use the word murder because that's what it was.

"I've read a lot about it, and about what happened in the bar area where the Turkish thugs were following the Leeds fans.

"Where were the police? What were they doing? It's supposed to be a pretty tough state - why was it allowed to get out of hand?"

He said Turkey's failure to jail anyone for the deaths suggested the country was "not ready to be admitted to the EU".

He added: "Maybe that's something the campaigners should focus on. It would concentrate the authorities' minds, because if the country cannot hand out European justice... "

The families of the men are to meet Leeds MP Fabian Hamilton on Monday on the 10th anniversary of the deaths to press the government and police to do more to see justice is done.

A minute's silence was held before Saturday's home match against Swindon Town.

Fans laid bouquets and wreaths at the foot of the Billy Bremner statue outside the ground and tied hundreds of yellow and white daffodils and scarves to the Elland Road gates.

Both teams wore black armbands and Leeds stars Richard Naylor and Jonny Howson laid wreaths beside the pitch.

---------------------------

I don't know what to make of his comments about keeping Turkey out of the EU, but that these families have had to wait 10 years for justice is plainly wrong.

Offline freedom

• Legacy Fan
  • ♥ You'll never walk alone ♥
Re: Leeds fans killed in Turkey - 10 years on.
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2010, 10:47:53 am »
RIP  :(
Bill Shankly: " A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. "

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ LIVERPOOL¤*¨*¤.
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2010, 10:54:17 am »
rip to the 2 lads.....the leeds fans that day were nothing like innocent of course pissing on the turkish flag an the like,   treat the turks with respect an theyll do likewise, went there in 2001 with us an were treated great.

not inferring the 2 lads who were killed did anything wrong.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline sidneyroughdiamond

• Legacy Fan
  • There is a light that never goes out
« Reply #3 on: April 4, 2010, 11:44:22 am »
rip to the 2 lads.....the leeds fans that day were nothing like innocent of course pissing on the turkish flag an the like,   treat the turks with respect an theyll do likewise, went there in 2001 with us an were treated great.

not inferring the 2 lads who were killed did anything wrong.

Have to be careful there as we all know that there is a certain minority who travel abroad with every club who behave like morons on foreign soil. RIP to the two lads in question and hopefully those who were guilty of their murders will be brought to justice.
Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 4, 2010, 11:45:42 am »
RIP the two lads, sad that the Turkish authorities haven't brought justice after 10 years. I'd doubt that they will ever do so.
psn = Lents123

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #5 on: April 4, 2010, 11:58:12 am »
The fact that their families are still waiting for justice 10 years on is a disgrace and for a country looking to join the EU, their legal system is a bit of a joke on that front.

Much like ours really, still waiting for justice almost 21 years on.

RIP to all.
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #6 on: April 4, 2010, 12:00:23 pm »
Has it really been 10 years? Bloody hell how time goes by! I actually feel old and i'm 24

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 4, 2010, 08:26:17 pm »
I feel sorry for the families but if Ken Bates says something it must be wrong.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: April 4, 2010, 08:34:26 pm »
Football is not as important as some fans think. Being football fan doesn't entitle you to do anything you want, however, killing people in broad daylight should surely have left witnesses. How on earth killers aren't found yet?

Offline Wait for it!!!

• Unimaginative pisshead!!! +!!
  • Kopite
  • hat, cap, scarf or your banner??
« Reply #9 on: April 5, 2010, 12:55:46 am »
A Scouser exiled to Yorkshire I was in Spencers round the corner from Boar Lane in Leeds on Gold Cup Day with a few mates watching the races and having a good shout at the telly when I saw a tee shirt hanging behind the bar which had the names of the Leeds fans murdered that night and the boozer was selling them on behalf of the families.

Made me realise how precious our lives are again - every now and again I think of being at Hillsborough and the horror of it all and it made me think of how glad I am to be alive and how the police forces and judicial systems of England and Turkey are corrupt to the core.

Then I thought we as footy fans are bigger than that

YNWA

Marching on together!!!!!!!
Keegan to Smith to Keegan and Newcastle were undressed!!!!!
Wembley Stadium May 1974 - as a 12 year old flared, stack shoed Alsop Comp LFC diehard. The joy!!

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 5, 2010, 08:56:32 pm »
worked an lived in leeds early to mid 90s an im not tarring all with the same brush but i got more than a few hillsborough jibes,  sad twats, far more than i ever had working round manc would you beleive....
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #11 on: April 5, 2010, 09:20:04 pm »
RIP to the two lads and their families do deserve appropriate justice.

Makes no difference who one supports, to be killed going to watch a match is wrong.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #12 on: April 6, 2010, 05:46:49 pm »
He said Turkey's failure to jail anyone for the deaths suggested the country was "not ready to be admitted to the EU".

Seven men were convicted for the crime, with sentences ranging from 3 months to 15 years. Their names are Ali Ümit Demir, Kazım Dalga, Yılmaz Tutuş, Özkan Balcı, Murat Yahşi, İbrahim Emrah Kaygısız and Zafer Yıldırım. While I wouldn't defend the Turkish criminal justice system in many instances, the statement that "noone was jailed" over this tragedy is both false and misleading.

Not all murders are solved. Sometimes, in places like Turkey, severe pressure from both inside and outside the country over a high-profile crime leads to heavy-handed prosecutions where scapegoats take the fall for crimes they either did not commit, or get sentences harsher than their crimes. Most likely, this is what happened in this case, since those arrested, convicted and jailed for this crimes are now having appeals heard. It is entirely possible that the killers got away. It is also entirely possible that those appeals being heard will be quashed. But to say noone was jailed for the crimes is misleading.

Turkish football fans are a rowdy, violent bunch, to be sure. Just last month, a Beşiktaş fan was beaten up on national television, inside the stadium, and fell down from the top section in an effort to get away. Some other matches were called off as fans pelted the pitch with missiles, coins, rocks, and parts of seats. Last year, at a Fenerbahce Beşiktaş match, I was fucking stunned to see parts of toilets being ripped out and used as missiles flying over my head.

But the Leeds fans, rest their souls, got into a situation that they really shouldn't have, and stories abound about a minority of their support's propensity to find trouble at any match from Manchester United ties to Hartlepool matches. The mere fact that they got into an altercation in Istanbul shows poor judgment - you simply don't get into altercations in Turkey, you walk the fuck away, no you run away, because altercations usually mean someone ends up dead or badly hurt. To get drunk, urinate, and insult people, flags, and the national currency certainly doesn't deserve death, but is also at the same time very a stupid fucking move.

Offline Rigga

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #13 on: April 6, 2010, 05:50:51 pm »
I should have read up on it, El C.  I just assumed Ken Bates would know what he was talking about (daft knacker, I am) with regards his own club.  It was as much about the shock that it's already been 10 years, I suppose.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: April 6, 2010, 05:54:43 pm »
Fucking Hell 10 years already, how time really does fly.

For once I agree with Ken Bates

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
« Reply #15 on: April 6, 2010, 06:04:15 pm »
Friends with loads of Leeds fans, given where i live, i gave a few mates a Liverpool scarf to lay down as they went over on Sunday.

RIP.
@JonnYNWA

Offline justarslan

• Legacy Fan
  • Join Spirit Of Shankly!
    • Spirit Of Shankly
« Reply #16 on: April 6, 2010, 11:55:34 pm »
RIP and Justice for all.
I want to hold my hands up and apologise to Rafa.
Give me the cold steel of the European Cup over a warm smile any day.

Offline ConorYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 8, 2010, 02:07:54 pm »
Regards to the victims families, hope justice is done.

Offline mactifosi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 11:27:56 am »
The campaign to secure justice for two Leeds United fans murdered before their team’s Uefa Cup semi-final with Galatasary has won the backing of Leeds North East MP Fabian Hamilton. It is now more than 10 years since Chris Loftus and Kevin Speight were brutally stabbed to death and the victims’ families are appealing to football fans across Britain to back their fight. (See the bottom of the page for details on how you can help.)

Four men were found guilty of involvement in the murders but all were released on bail pending an appeal which, a full decade on, has yet to be heard. The men remain free to this day.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/news/10-years-on:-Leeds-United-as-families-fight-for-justice-continues.php?id=

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 11:32:44 am »

Four men were found guilty of involvement in the murders but all were released on bail pending an appeal which, a full decade on, has yet to be heard. The men remain free to this day.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/news/10-years-on:-Leeds-United-as-families-fight-for-justice-continues.php?id=
Nothing short of disgusting
psn = Lents123