Author Topic: FT Southampton 1 - 0 Liverpool (Redmond 20')  (Read 31831 times)

Offline Greek Ern

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: FT Southampton 1 - 0 Liverpool (Redmond 20')
« Reply #480 on: January 12, 2017, 10:00:52 am »
Probably because we were so susceptible to the counter compared to previous games. I know not all of that can be attributed to Lucas but he was playing DM.

And the way Long left him for dead was laughable.
Lucas slipped, didn't he? Which is unfortunate but its not as if Long nutmegged him! And I was wondering where all the other (younger and fitter) players where while legs gone, over the hill Lucas was chasing Long back.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #481 on: January 12, 2017, 10:02:56 am »
That was the flattest performance of the season by a country mile, yet we only lost 1-0 which we have Karius to thank for that!

All is definitely not lost with this as Southampton have blown their chance big time to kill this off. That will haunt them and as Klopp said, all will be good, especially at Anfield.

Thing for me is though, that we've looked very languid for a few games now, but I firmly believe that the game against Utd has come at just the right time to inject some life back in. It's pretty understandable as we've played a lot of games in short order with enforced changes in all of them which is always going to affect how we play, but with Phil coming back in it will give a huge boost as will - I'm hoping - Hendo coming back in. Adding that zip into the side with rested players should see us through and if we do get them back for Sunday, then I am pretty confident we'll be 8pts ahead of that shower of shite.

Chelsea are desperate for us to lose or draw the weekend. Can you imagine what it will be like for them mentally to see they can't shake us off just before we play them as well? Huge couple of weeks coming up though.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #482 on: January 12, 2017, 10:04:31 am »
Lucas slipped, didn't he? Which is unfortunate but its not as if Long nutmegged him! And I was wondering where all the other (younger and fitter) players where while legs gone, over the hill Lucas was chasing Long back.
Remember that save Karius had to make just before half time? Lallana and Lucas got skinned in the corner, Lallana continued to chase the player into the box and by the time the shot had come in he was in the six yard box, our DM had barely made the 18-yard box.

Welcome back GrkStv.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Ruddock

• Main Stander
« Reply #483 on: January 12, 2017, 10:05:34 am »
Such a difficult game to watch last night, could have been worst... Was the team jet lagged goin to st.marys? One eye on the Sunday game? Already thinking about a Wembley final?

Strangely...The way i see it... we played S$£". Its a kick up the arse for our sunday meeting with the Mancs and playing mind games with Utd.

Jose Mourinho team and tactics will setup not to lose, and Southampton did exactly that, not concede at home and attacked us with pace. Our 2nd leg at home is a walkin tight rope. Concede one goal and we'd need to score 3! Jesus... I'll be at Anfield under the lights and the Kop will need to be the Twelfth man in a couple of weeks.

We have a few days of training for preparation and recovery and will be working on creating chances when teams sit back...

It makes Sundays game even more unpredictable...

Jose will know how he wants to play, whether united players will take a leaf out of Southampton's tactics is a another thing.  I have no doubt that the Brain and Klopp will be working on the training field to counteract situations like this.

Bring on Sunday!

I think the rules are different in the League cup. The away goal rule doesn´t apply in the same way as in other tournaments. If we win 2-1 it will go to extra time. If it's still 2-1 after extra time, Soton will go through.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: January 12, 2017, 10:07:19 am »
The 2nd leg already has a feeling of Olynpiakos imsomuch as I can see them getting a goal (pessimism).
Do we still have the mobile number of that lad, the No.8?

Offline Greek Ern

• Kemlynite
« Reply #485 on: January 12, 2017, 10:12:25 am »
Remember that save Karius had to make just before half time? Lallana and Lucas got skinned in the corner, Lallana continued to chase the player into the box and by the time the shot had come in he was in the six yard box, our DM had barely made the 18-yard box.

Welcome back GrkStv.
If its the one I'm thinking of, I was wondering where and what our Right back was doing?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #486 on: January 12, 2017, 10:13:16 am »
If its the one I'm thinking of, I was wondering where and what our Right back was doing?
Don't try and deflect the question.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #487 on: January 12, 2017, 10:14:42 am »
Just because a defence sits deep doesn't mean runners in behind are redundant. Quite the opposite in fact. You need quick, darting runs between defenders to penetrate or to open up space. Origi may or may not be the answer but it's wrong to claim you don't need runners in behind against a deep block. We need more not less.

Yeah I see what you're saying, I just think we might be trying to be find space that isn't there at times on Sunday thus rendering Origi and Sturridge as fairly useless in the first half at least. I don't think its any coincidence that in the last 3 games when one of Origi or Sturridge (or both) have always been on the pitch we have really struggled against deep defences. We didn't really have runners constantly threatening in behind against Man City but won pretty comfortably.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #488 on: January 12, 2017, 10:21:34 am »

Thats what happens when your legs are tired or you know you are in trouble - his lack of pace is an issue.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: January 12, 2017, 10:23:22 am »
Yeah I see what you're saying, I just think we might be trying to be find space that isn't there at times on Sunday thus rendering Origi and Sturridge as fairly useless in the first half at least. I don't think its any coincidence that in the last 3 games when one of Origi or Sturridge (or both) have always been on the pitch we have really struggled against deep defences. We didn't really have runners constantly threatening in behind against Man City but won pretty comfortably.

Runners is part of the problem but the speed of our transition is shocking at times with Can in the side. He takes 2-3-4 touches before releasing the ball and he normally gives it away or passes the ball a couple a yards. Henderson on the other hand, he tries to hit the runners we do have early.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: January 12, 2017, 10:24:12 am »
Looked very very leggy last night.  No sense urgency whatsoever.

Offline Thoros Of Myr

• Anny Roader
« Reply #491 on: January 12, 2017, 10:32:21 am »
Needless to say, this is well over the top.  However, I think it is probably clear to most that when everyone is fit Sturridge is, at best, an impact sub.

It's not at all needless. I've watched him jog through games. When you have James Miller in the same side playing out of position and making it his own, then look at how Dan is applying himself....

Unless we're overrunning sides and in fine form, Sturridge is a luxury we can't affor.

He's obviously supremely talented. He just hasn't adapted his game at all and doesn't fit.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #492 on: January 12, 2017, 10:38:20 am »
Was disappointing to see how Van Dijk lost the ball 2 or 3 times near our box, and none of those times did we have any kind of pace to try and get forward quickly and take advantage. Its like the longer the game went on, the less concerned he was with marking Sturridge as we were showing nothing.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #493 on: January 12, 2017, 10:42:03 am »
We got away with that result last night. If Southampton had been more clinical or if Karius had a bad game we could / should have been looking at a two / three goal deficit.

With a rocking atmosphere and hopefully a near full team (bar Mane), I'm still confident we can get through, although I can see them scoring again.

Away goals only count after extra time, apparently.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:43:49 am by Gaz123456 »

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #494 on: January 12, 2017, 10:42:22 am »
Happy to get out last night with the tie still slightly in our favour. I thought we allowed the game to get stretched a bit in the second half last night. That could have got us a goal but equally, more so on the balance of chances, it could have put the tie irretrievably in Southampton's corner. I thought we behaved a bit like we were one nil down in a one off match rather than two legged tie.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Shady Craig

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: January 12, 2017, 10:43:08 am »
Runners is part of the problem but the speed of our transition is shocking at times with Can in the side. He takes 2-3-4 touches before releasing the ball and he normally gives it away or passes the ball a couple a yards. Henderson on the other hand, he tries to hit the runners we do have early.
Worst I've seen him last night, barely a forward pass all game and when he did he gave it away like you say. He seems to have one decent game in 4 for me which isn't good enough, I'd rather see Moreno come in at LB and Milner move into the middle while Henderson is out.

Offline Shady Craig

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: January 12, 2017, 10:44:20 am »
We need to stop sending so many people up for corners as well, could easily have been caught out a couple of times last night.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #497 on: January 12, 2017, 10:45:31 am »
The 2nd leg already has a feeling of Olynpiakos imsomuch as I can see them getting a goal (pessimism).
Do we still have the mobile number of that lad, the No.8?

I was thinking the same if they get 1 we could really struggle and at the moment we aren't really able to break down well organised defences.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: January 12, 2017, 10:51:55 am »
Our midfield is getting (rightly) hammered. Lucas (in my view he did ok), and Can (who was awful), but no mention of Wijnaldum. Why?

I fail to see him making any sort of contribution. I'm just not sure what he actually does, one great goal aside.

Offline RedmenPhil

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #499 on: January 12, 2017, 10:54:07 am »
I think the rules are different in the League cup. The away goal rule doesn´t apply in the same way as in other tournaments. If we win 2-1 it will go to extra time. If it's still 2-1 after extra time, Soton will go through.

Your right! Just looked up the rules. it is is different... so away goals only become ACTIVE during extra time. It will only go to pennies if the result stay 1-0 on the night (1-1 agg) after ET.

Ideally the result at annie will be 2-0. But nevertheless we'd need to score 3 to kill the game or NOT CONCEDE on the night. I don't know if i can bare to watch! :o

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #500 on: January 12, 2017, 10:58:10 am »
A lot of significant conclusions being reached after a single defeat. It really is all or nothing. Win and we are brilliant. Lose and we need to buy buy buy.

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #501 on: January 12, 2017, 11:00:20 am »

Yep not going to argue with that, he doesn't seem to have as good a footballing brain as anyone who regularly features in our front 6. Its a shame because he was great at times last season and I certainly thought playing in a more defined 433 rather than 4231 would suit him more but its just not happening for him currently. I don't think there's any debate that Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana is our best trio, but that didn't stop Jurgen from pushing Lallana further forward against City to accommodate Can. The only issue with the team sheet for Sunday for me is if its Can or Origi, and I've got a feeling it will be Can.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: January 12, 2017, 11:01:19 am »
A lot of significant conclusions being reached after a single defeat. It really is all or nothing. Win and we are brilliant. Lose and we need to buy buy buy.

Except as I said last night this is not true. A number of posters were saying we need to buy before the Plymouth game even happened. The squad is too small, it was when we winning games.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: January 12, 2017, 11:07:31 am »
Sorry, not got time to read most of the thread so this has probably been nailed already but the link between midfield and attack was the biggest problem to me. Very little penetration into the final third. Obviously missing Mane and fully fit Coutinho. Sturridge frustrated and frustrating. Would've preferred to see him paired with Origi with Firmino in behind maybe.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #504 on: January 12, 2017, 11:08:09 am »
That was really poor last night - a bit worrying to be honest. We had no balance, no fluidity, no ideas, no rhythm. All those things that made us look so good earlier in the season seems to have disappeared. Personally, I think it's a case of both injuries and some players playing in different roles.

Time to get back to basics and get Firmino more central, Lallana back in midfield and Can back on the bench.

Need a massive step up in performance if we are to get anything from the game on Sunday.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: January 12, 2017, 11:08:58 am »

Haha it is GrkStav. Excellent shout whoever spotted it.

Yes, he slipped. But that was after being easily beaten.

He shouldn't have been playing this game in midfield, and certainly shouldn't have played two 90 minutes in quick succession - last time that mistake happened we fell apart catastrophically against Bournemouth - it is no surprise to anyone that he doesn't have it in him.

Not his fault he was playing though, he couldn't help that.

Offline Greek Ern

• Kemlynite
« Reply #506 on: January 12, 2017, 11:11:58 am »
Haha it is GrkStav. Excellent shout whoever spotted it.

Yes, he slipped. But that was after being easily beaten.

He shouldn't have been playing this game in midfield, and certainly shouldn't have played two 90 minutes in quick succession - last time that mistake happened we fell apart catastrophically against Bournemouth - it is no surprise to anyone that he doesn't have it in him.

Not his fault he was playing though, he couldn't help that.
Your blaming Lucas for the Bournmouth collapse?   :lmao

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: January 12, 2017, 11:15:57 am »
I thought Lucas was one of our better players last night. He was at least playing passes between the lines.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: January 12, 2017, 11:17:45 am »

Come on now, re-read. Work on your comprehension. What I said is a fact, and it's you making that leap. Breath, look at your Lucas calendar on the wall, try and calm down.

Also, if you're going to come back secretly be a bit less obvious. At least Leivapool was smart enough to limit his evangelism to a statistic implying Lucas played well, or at best didn't contribute to the loss.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: January 12, 2017, 11:20:08 am »
On a more refreshing note Klopp didn't pull any punches or gloss over the defeat.

A collective acceptance of a poor outing will hopefully gel everyone together for the game on Sunday.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #510 on: January 12, 2017, 11:22:11 am »

'You're'.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Greek Ern

• Kemlynite
« Reply #511 on: January 12, 2017, 11:26:11 am »
Come on now, re-read. Work on your comprehension. What I said is a fact, and it's you making that leap. Breath, look at your Lucas calendar on the wall, try and calm down.

We lost against Bournmouth after Lucas played 2 games in a row is a fact, granted. I don't think it is anyway pertinent like, but whatever floats your boat.

Offline DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: January 12, 2017, 11:27:56 am »
Had a nights sleep to reflect on the game. We were really disappointing. Our midfield was really non-existsant and it was clear from minute 1 that Lucas, Gini and Can weren't going to create much for the forwards - Can has been poor all season and it's time to rotate him out when we can. Hate singling players out but you'd have to be blind to disagree, there's nothing he's doing right at the minute.

Same with Sturridge. I'm sorry but he's done here. I don't doubt his commitment to the club, and despite his alleged ego he's been a model pro since becoming more of a bit-part player. But it's clear the lad has no confidence in his body and it's holding him back. For a club of Liverpools ambition we can't carry that, and I'd be looking for a replacement this summer. Call me out if you want but he's been living off the 13/14 season for a while now and apart from stinging the odd keepers gloves he's not done anything to convince me a corner is turned.

Word on Southampton, they were very good and I really like them as a team. They have a problem with consistency, but on their day they are a match for any team in the league. Considering they've been pillaged in recent seasons for their best players (not least by us), the fact they're frequent contenders for Europa League spots is a real credit to them. If Redmond could add more goals to his all round game they could go up a level.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: January 12, 2017, 11:34:00 am »
Had a nights sleep to reflect on the game. We were really disappointing. Our midfield was really non-existsant and it was clear from minute 1 that Lucas, Gini and Can weren't going to create much for the forwards - Can has been poor all season and it's time to rotate him out when we can. Hate singling players out but you'd have to be blind to disagree, there's nothing he's doing right at the minute.

Same with Sturridge. I'm sorry but he's done here. I don't doubt his commitment to the club, and despite his alleged ego he's been a model pro since becoming more of a bit-part player. But it's clear the lad has no confidence in his body and it's holding him back. For a club of Liverpools ambition we can't carry that, and I'd be looking for a replacement this summer. Call me out if you want but he's been living off the 13/14 season for a while now and apart from stinging the odd keepers gloves he's not done anything to convince me a corner is turned.

Word on Southampton, they were very good and I really like them as a team. They have a problem with consistency, but on their day they are a match for any team in the league. Considering they've been pillaged in recent seasons for their best players (not least by us), the fact they're frequent contenders for Europa League spots is a real credit to them. If Redmond could add more goals to his all round game they could go up a level.

Some really valid and sensible points especially with regards DS.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline codswallop

• Kemlynite
« Reply #514 on: January 12, 2017, 11:35:17 am »
Better team won on the night,no complaints,could have been 4 or 5. The sooner we bench Emre Can,the better.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: January 12, 2017, 11:39:10 am »
Better team won on the night,no complaints,could have been 4 or 5. The sooner we bench Emre Can,the better.
Have been saying that for a while re Can and been slaughtered on here.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #516 on: January 12, 2017, 11:39:40 am »

Load of codswallop.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #517 on: January 12, 2017, 11:52:04 am »
Load of codswallop.
Can't disagree with any of it to be honest

No point sugar-coating Can's performance, he's been a liability against Sunderland and Southampton

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #518 on: January 12, 2017, 11:55:08 am »
Can't disagree with any of it to be honest

No point sugar-coating Can's performance, he's been a liability against Sunderland and Southampton

So was Wijnaldum. Can was genuinely awful last night, not very good against Sunderland or Plymouth, but then he was genuinely excellent against City. Should he have played four games in ten days when I'd argue we'll need him on Sunday? Not in my opinion.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #519 on: January 12, 2017, 12:05:16 pm »

Some good points here.

I don't necessarily agree with the Sturridge one. Definitely not the fact he's 'done here'. That and you other comment make it seem like you think his skills have diminished significantly over the last few seasons.

Since 2013/14 he has 14 goals in 23 league starts. That tells me 2 things. Firstly, he's still a high quality goalscorer. That's despite the fact that he's been coming back from injury  a lot of the time and does seem to be playing within himself from a physical aspect.  23 league starts over 2 and 1/2 seasons shows the real issue. An issue we all know about.

Get Sturridge fit and get him a run in the team and he's one of our best players available. We can talk about fitting the system etc.. but he scores goals. At the moment that is something we need. The real challenge is getting him fit and keeping him fit. That might be the pressure point that makes us sell. Not his ability.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.