Author Topic: England v New Zealand Test / ODI / T20 Series  (Read 68615 times)

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
Re: England v New Zealand Test / ODI / T20 Series
« Reply #760 on: May 28, 2013, 03:06:01 pm »
I agree.
Sofia Gardens get one because they pay to get one. Then crowds are poor.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #761 on: May 28, 2013, 03:10:38 pm »
10-fer for Swann in a Headingley test match. Great catch that by Bell!

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: May 28, 2013, 03:12:07 pm »
Sorry I've been missing in action these last few days - went kayaking down the Thames and missed the place where we were supposed to stop (thought we'd gone a bit too far when I saw the Thames Barrier ;) ).

You were spotted Nick

Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: May 28, 2013, 03:14:19 pm »
You were spotted Nick

Looks like Fellaini has been breeding.

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: May 28, 2013, 03:15:29 pm »
Now wrap this up before the heavens open again!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #765 on: May 28, 2013, 03:15:51 pm »
Ashes test should always be at the historical grounds for me. Lords, Old Trafford, Headingley, Edgebaston and the Oval to finish. Every single time.

Trent Bridge?

That's why they should be 6 Test series!

One of the Ashes tests is in Durham this summer isn't it? Firstly it'll probably be snowing and secondly that just doesn't feel right for an Ashes Test. That said, the Cardiff Test last time round felt the same and that turned out to be a thriller so who knows.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: May 28, 2013, 03:17:27 pm »
Reward? A May test v New Zealand and nowt for the Ashes. To which I say 'F*ck off ECB'. I'm sure many of my fellow countrymen will have had the same attitude.

I mentioned it before - they've no floodlights at Headingley!! So they are lucky to get this one.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #767 on: May 28, 2013, 03:22:26 pm »
Trent Bridge?

That's why they should be 6 Test series!

One of the Ashes tests is in Durham this summer isn't it? Firstly it'll probably be snowing and secondly that just doesn't feel right for an Ashes Test. That said, the Cardiff Test last time round felt the same and that turned out to be a thriller so who knows.

Yeh Trent Bridge or Edgbaston to be fair.

I mentioned it before - they've no floodlights at Headingley!! So they are lucky to get this one.

It's in the planning for the ground. They need the money to do that. To get the money they need to hold test matches. An Ashes test match would give them the biggest amount of money possible to do that.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #768 on: May 28, 2013, 03:25:35 pm »
How do you allocate tests then? Every side demands a Lord's test - see what happened when they tried to do without for the Windies. Once Lord's has its couple of tests - there are 5 tests left and 8 test grounds to share them: the Oval, Old Trafford, Trent Bridge, Headingley, Edgbaston, Riverside, Rose Bowl, Sophia Gardens. For a 5 test series - at least one of those first 5 historic grounds will miss out. Of course the Ashes series should be 6 Tests. There is the demand for it, ICC calendar be damned.

There are too many Test grounds and not enough tests.

It ought to be a 6 Test series. I agree with that. I also agree there's a genuine problem about how to divide the spoils. But at the moment it's incontestable that those spoils aren't being divided fairly. Leeds missed out on an Ashes Test in 2005. It got one in 2009. Now it misses out again.

The north, generally, seems to get the thin end of the wedge. If Leeds gets an Ashes Test then Manchester doesn't. That doesn't sit well with Yorkshire and Lancashire fans (we're the real home of cricket after all ;)) not those ponces at Lords.

If Lords must have two Tests every summer then the Oval should be taken off the automatic rota and forced to join the merry-go-round with the other historic Test grounds.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: May 28, 2013, 03:26:27 pm »
6 is too many isn't it?

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: May 28, 2013, 03:26:55 pm »
Mind you I think Scarborough should have Test cricket too.

And maybe Bramall Lane like in the old days.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: May 28, 2013, 03:27:59 pm »
It's in the planning for the ground. They need the money to do that. To get the money they need to hold test matches. An Ashes test match would give them the biggest amount of money possible to do that.

The point is that when the decision is made and they look at the facilities for each ground, it will obviously go against them. The same thing happened to Old Trafford when they had to update the ground before they would be awarded another test match. The counties have ended up having to foot the bill themselves which is why the likes of Lancs/ Yorkshire have ended up with huge debts.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #772 on: May 28, 2013, 03:30:08 pm »
It ought to be a 6 Test series. I agree with that. I also agree there's a genuine problem about how to divide the spoils. But at the moment it's incontestable that those spoils aren't being divided fairly. Leeds missed out on an Ashes Test in 2005. It got one in 2009. Now it misses out again.

The north, generally, seems to get the thin end of the wedge. If Leeds gets an Ashes Test then Manchester doesn't. That doesn't sit well with Yorkshire and Lancashire fans (we're the real home of cricket after all ;)) not those ponces at Lords.

If Lords must have two Tests every summer then the Oval should be taken off the automatic rota and forced to join the merry-go-round with the other historic Test grounds.

If we're talking about historic grounds hosting the Ashes, there are none more historic than The Oval.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #773 on: May 28, 2013, 03:30:53 pm »
Mind you I think Scarborough should have Test cricket too.

And maybe Bramall Lane like in the old days.

Given Lancashire's record there recently Aigburth should be a dead cert!

I can see both sides of the argument. Huge money has been invested in the Rose Bowl (in particular), Durham and Cardiff. They are decent Test venues and if they were continually fobbed off with May Tests against whipping boys that are either rain affected or over in 3 days then they'd wonder why it was worth it.

On the flip side, the 'traditional' Test grounds have all been hugely redevloped in recent years (maybe apart from Edgbaston?) and they think they deserve the big games too.

How does the bidding process work these days? Is it a case of them going to the highest bidder?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #774 on: May 28, 2013, 03:33:12 pm »
The point is that when the decision is made and they look at the facilities for each ground, it will obviously go against them. The same thing happened to Old Trafford when they had to update the ground before they would be awarded another test match. The counties have ended up having to foot the bill themselves which is why the likes of Lancs/ Yorkshire have ended up with huge debts.

Glamorgan nearly bankrupted themselves to hold that Ashes test match.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #775 on: May 28, 2013, 03:33:43 pm »
Headingley did not apply for an Ashes test.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/9395238.stm

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #776 on: May 28, 2013, 03:34:44 pm »
These two are making Trott's innings the other day look positively cavalier!!

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: May 28, 2013, 03:35:05 pm »
6 is too many isn't it?

Only if you are a pain averse Aussie. It's your turn for a 6 test burn. I survived the 90s now it's your go.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: May 28, 2013, 03:35:26 pm »
Headingley did not apply for an Ashes test.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/9395238.stm

Because the money being asked is utterly absurd.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: May 28, 2013, 03:35:39 pm »

Its always been that way though hasn't it Yorkie? Do you think there is an element of the Northern crowds being considered riff raff? I've been to some pretty rowdy Test Matches at Old Trafford and it has resulted in no longer being able to take alcohol into the ground anymore - for any game, whereas it is still allowed at Lords. Ok it is a self imposed ban by LCCC but it still infers a North/South divide in terms of how they expect the crowd to behave.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 03:39:36 pm by Yosser0_0 »

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: May 28, 2013, 03:36:47 pm »
Glamorgan nearly bankrupted themselves to hold that Ashes test match.

Did they get any Welsh office money/grants do you know about?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #781 on: May 28, 2013, 03:37:37 pm »
Jimmy equals Fred Trueman's wicket taking haul and wins the game for England.

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: May 28, 2013, 03:37:53 pm »
Bowled Jimmy.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: May 28, 2013, 03:38:24 pm »
England win. Anderson takes the final wicket.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #784 on: May 28, 2013, 03:38:27 pm »
Did they get any Welsh office money/grants do you know about?

Not too sure but I know they had to turn back a couple of internationals last year because they couldn't afford to run them.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: May 28, 2013, 03:38:41 pm »
Only if you are a pain averse Aussie. It's your turn for a 6 test burn. I survived the 90s now it's your go.
You're nowhere near where we were. I don't fear your lot at all.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: May 28, 2013, 03:39:45 pm »
Its always been that way though hasn't it Yorkie? Do you think there is an element as the Northern crowds being considered riff raff? I've been to some pretty rowdy Test Matches at Old Trafford and it has resulted in no longer being able to take alcohol into the ground anymore - for any game, whereas it is still allowed at Lords. Ok it is a self imposed ban by LCCC but it still infers a North/South divide in terms of how they expect the crowd to behave.

There is some of that. It's a bit like footy. The authorities want a completely middle-class game - something much easier to achieve in the south than the north. On tour, of course, it's a different matter. The Home Counties set tend not to travel.

The booze thing is about forcing you to drink at the bars inside the ground - which are obviously more expensive. The Oval does this too. I think it's only Lords that allows you to take liquor in.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #787 on: May 28, 2013, 03:41:22 pm »
Nice of them to wait until I got home to finish the match. Also for Anderson to go level with Trueman at Headingley.

Lord's is obviously always going to get 2 matches per "summer" as the overseas sides are always going to want to play there. There's possibly some merit in going to a rotational policy for the other games so counties know when they're getting a Test and can plan accordingly, but it's all way above my pay grade anyway.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: May 28, 2013, 03:42:12 pm »

But you are very close to where we were...

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #789 on: May 28, 2013, 03:43:09 pm »

Immortalised for the summer in my sig!

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: May 28, 2013, 03:43:21 pm »
Headingley is guaranteed a Test every year until 2019. They are in a stronger position than many of the other grounds.

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #791 on: May 28, 2013, 03:43:49 pm »
There is some of that. It's a bit like footy. The authorities want a completely middle-class game - something much easier to achieve in the south than the north. On tour, of course, it's a different matter. The Home Counties set tend not to travel.

The booze thing is about forcing you to drink at the bars inside the ground - which are obviously more expensive. The Oval does this too. I think it's only Lords that allows you to take liquor in.
Correct, It is the only ground that you can take it in with you although only up to 4 pints.
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: May 28, 2013, 03:44:13 pm »
But you are very close to where we were...
;D

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: May 28, 2013, 03:45:43 pm »
Well done to Jimmy and England for the win, great bowling by Swann. A little close run thing with the weather but a series win is always great with games to spare.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: May 28, 2013, 03:46:08 pm »
Correct, It is the only ground that you can take it in with you although only up to 4 pints.

2 pints per person, or a bottle of wine.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #795 on: May 28, 2013, 03:46:11 pm »
Immortalised for the summer in my sig!
Fine by me. Listening to Beefy talking you'd think your lot were the best team in the world.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #796 on: May 28, 2013, 03:46:37 pm »

There was always something quite amusing about half the crowd at Old Trafford singing "Stand up if you hate Man U" just a few hundred yards down the road from their ground whilst watching a completely different sport!

It's not like the northern grounds are less knowledgabl;e or dedicated either - you only have to witness the numbers turned away at Old Trafford in 2005 to know that. Guess we're just more easily distracted/naturally more lairy up here!

Lord's is an incredible experience and one of my favourite places to watch cricket but it was a culture shock heading to my first Test there and not getting even a hint of a drunken song until about an hour after lunch.

Oh, and well done Jimmy and England!

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #797 on: May 28, 2013, 03:48:12 pm »
2 pints per person, or a bottle of wine.
They can't be that strict as I always take 4 in with me.
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #798 on: May 28, 2013, 03:49:11 pm »

You're being unfair if you expect them to start doing full body cavity searches.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: May 28, 2013, 03:49:12 pm »

The whole security check for the first test appeared to be counting cans.