Author Topic: RAWK New Years Honours List  (Read 1360 times)

Pheeny

RAWK New Years Honours List
« on: December 29, 2012, 09:19:10 am »
So besides the obvious Knighthood for Kenny who do you think should receive a "sporting" honour.

Offline jymbojetset

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: RAWK New Years Honours List
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 09:54:13 am »
It would be wrong to pick out individuals, but recognition of the Hillsborough families, report authors and a mention for Everton FC.

Offline MHLC

• My Horse Likes Cheese
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:57:24 am »
Me.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 12:37:19 pm »
Have the got to be English or U.K?
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 12:49:06 pm »
Have the got to be English or U.K?

Real honours? Yes.  Made up honours on a fansite? Hmmm........

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 12:54:59 pm »
That case im going John McGuiness ;)

Edited as i had a blonde moment and was thinking of NW200. I need to get out more.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 12:58:52 pm by Bad Santa Fiields »
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 01:04:00 pm »
Andy Murray. Broke the biggest jinx in sport.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Pheeny

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 02:34:46 pm »
Real honours? Yes.  Made up honours on a fansite? Hmmm........
erm Welsh,Scottish and Northern Irish are also in the UK ...

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 02:36:44 pm »
The whole honours system makes me want to vomit.

Offline arcticus

• No massive asset. Doesn't know the difference between the 1st and 31st. Watched the Arsenal game sat in a pool of shite.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 02:40:51 pm »
So besides the obvious Knighthood for Kenny who do you think should receive a "sporting" honour.
Downing. He scored a goal in the prem.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 02:43:32 pm »
Alex Ferguson should be stripped of his Knighthood for bringing not only football but sport in general into disrepute time after time after time.

I would like to see Graham Carr, Chief Scout at Newcastle United receive an award.  Not a Knighthood but something, maybe an MBE or OBE in recognition of all his years in football..

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 03:04:26 pm »
For the most part, I think the honours system is a crock of sh*t.

It rewards people for actually doing what they're paid to do.  In most cases, it rewards privelidged* people.

*in the sense of they have all the resources needed to reach the top of their profession anyway.

In this instance though, I'll make an exception.

I'd be rewarding all of the fine individuals who acted extremely quickly, on instinct almost, who jumped in and made their actions count at White Hart Lane back in march, and saved the life of Fabrice Muamba.

From the physio's of both Tottenham and Bolton, through the St.Johns ambulance staff, Police officers, paramedics, doctors and surgeons.

In fact, everyone in the chain, from the moment he collapsed on the pitch to his final release from hospital.

Yes, they were just doing their jobs that they're paid for doing, but never has 'doing your job' been of such an importance as insidents like this.

Those are the kind of people who should be getting honours. Not over paid prima donna's already paid a small fortune for being good at something that rewards them handsomely in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:16:14 pm by Big Red Breasted Richie »

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 03:09:57 pm »

It rewards people for actually doing what they're paid to do.  In most cases, it rewards privelidged* people.

*in the sense of they have all the resources needed to reach the top of their profession anyway.

In this instance though, I'll make an exception.

I'd be rewarding all of the fine individuals who acted extremely quickly, on instinct almost, who jumped in and made their actions count at White Hart Lane back in march, and saved the life of Patrice Muamba.

From the physio's of both Tottenham and Bolton, through the St.Johns ambulance staff, Police officers, paramedics, doctors and surgeons.

In fact, everyone in the chain, from the moment he collapsed on the pitch to his final release from hospital.

Yes, they were just doing their jobs that they're paid for doing, but never has 'doing your job' been of such an importance as insidents like this.

Those are the kind of people who should be getting honours. Not over paid prima donna's already paid a small fortune for being good at something that rewards them handsomely in the first place.

Echo the sentiments mate, but his names Fabrice.

Pheeny

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 03:13:47 pm »
Thing you are all getting the wrong idea of what this thread is about.

Everyone knows that 90% of the "real" honours are not deserved and now is the chance for us, or rather you, to let us all know of why Mr or Mrs Smith from the local youth club deserve it more.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 03:15:39 pm »
Echo the sentiments mate, but his names Fabrice.
I already knew that mate. I was just having a brain fart.  ;D

Online stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 05:06:33 pm »
Thing you are all getting the wrong idea of what this thread is about.

Everyone knows that 90% of the "real" honours are not deserved and now is the chance for us, or rather you, to let us all know of why Mr or Mrs Smith from the local youth club deserve it more.

Did Roly Howard ever receive any honour? Certainly a deserving candidate. Dario Gradi too

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 05:12:06 pm »
Even if some of the sportsmen are overpaid & pampered it does not undermine the huge achievement... so pleased Wiggins got on for his success in the Tour de France which personally I see as far bigger achievement than his Olympic medal & others success in the Olympics so stands him apart.

Good shout above for the doctor that ran out the crowd at White Hart Lane.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 07:29:20 pm »
Mo Farrah!
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 09:47:32 pm »
The Ameobi brothers. If only because you'd get to say Sammy Ameobi OBE or Shola Ameobi MBE, which roll off the tongue lovely.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 09:57:24 pm »
Tony Yeboah.
Continually on 11,420.

Pheeny

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 11:43:10 pm »
come on people don't just post a name,do a write up as well.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 09:37:31 am »
Andy Murray. Broke the biggest jinx in sport.

And was well rewarded for it, personally I don't think awards should be given for professional sport, of course the medals for winning should stay but to those who do good work for sport at Community level. We have the perfect example of what can happen when Honours are given to any old drunken prick.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 10:18:13 am »

In fairness. I think "most" is a bit of an overstatement. Maybe when it comes to knighthoods.

But I think the majority of the other honours go to what might be referred to as more "deserving" people - there's a lot healthcare/education/charity/community ones.
Problem is that the media tend to ignore those ones. Maybe pick out one or two to fill a bit of space, but otherwise ignored.