Author Topic: Ford Fiesta - EAC Fail  (Read 41602 times)

Offline adwhite40

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
Ford Fiesta - EAC Fail
« on: April 18, 2010, 10:23:18 am »
Not sure if anyone can help but I drive a 55 plate Ford Fiesta and this morning on my way to work, it started to slow down by itself and eventually stop, only to show on the electronic gage that normally shows the time, the message EAC fail.

Now, I know nothing about cars and the garage I purchased it from do not seem to be answering the phone on this glorious Sunday morning, so I thought that my fellow Rawkites might know a thing or two about it?

Anyone experinced this problem or know what is causing it?

"Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say... WE ARE LIVERPOOL." - Bill Shankly

Offline lfctitch

• Legacy Fan
  • Titch
    • CS5 Design
Re: Ford Fiesta - EAC Fail
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 10:25:54 am »
It's a problem with the electronic throttle control. Without the stored code, it's difficult to be precise as to exactly what may be amiss with it.

You need to get a diagnostic report. Its gonna cost you. Likely hood as well that even if your under warrenty, they'll still charge you to fix it

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ

Offline lfctitch

• Legacy Fan
  • Titch
    • CS5 Design
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 10:27:54 am »
Most likely a sensor on the accelerator

Offline lfctitch

• Legacy Fan
  • Titch
    • CS5 Design
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 10:29:34 am »
A better link would be here: http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=ford_fiesta_common_problems_and_solutions

Get a diagnostic report, and find out which code it is

Offline lfctitch

• Legacy Fan
  • Titch
    • CS5 Design
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:30:22 am »
 The EAC FAIL relates to the electronic accelerator control. Vehicles that trigger diagnostic fault codes (DTCs) / fault codes P2138 with P2122, P2123 or P2127 a common problem is the PCM (powertrain control module = ECM = engine control module) electrical connector. Check the electrical connector for the PCM for damage to the terminals and pins. Replace or repair as necessary. On vehicles that trigger P2119, P2135, P2176, P0120, P0122, P0123, P0220, P0222 or P0223 fault codes can suffer from the same PCM terminal damage but also suffer from throttle body electrical connector damage. The throttle body will need to be inspected and tested using an scope or scanner looking at live data. Check the serial number on the throttle body. Replace with a revised throttle body of the serial number is below 400000

Offline adwhite40

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 10:30:58 am »
It's a problem with the electronic throttle control. Without the stored code, it's difficult to be precise as to exactly what may be amiss with it.

You need to get a diagnostic report. Its gonna cost you. Likely hood as well that even if your under warrenty, they'll still charge you to fix it

Thanks for that, although the cost part is not something I wanted to hear :( . . . . Don't suppose you know what sort of figure I would be looking at, or is that dependant on the problem?
"Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say... WE ARE LIVERPOOL." - Bill Shankly

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 10:37:16 am »
There's your problem, it's a Ford

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 10:42:06 am »
Its probably the coil, which is burnt out (whatever that means).

Offline adwhite40

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 10:48:03 am »
Thanks for your reply all, just spoken to the garage and nobody in servicing and repairs is there until tomorrow so will have to speak to them tomorrow. Looks like I need one of these reports but going by my warranty they should not charge for me it and I will make sure that if they do they give me reasons as to why its not covered by my warranty . . . .

Offline lfctitch

• Legacy Fan
  • Titch
    • CS5 Design
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 06:30:17 pm »
Like that advice says on that forum, if they charge you and make you sign for it, put in big letters that you didn't wish to sign for it, however you wanted your car fixed. If they try to screw you for further money, take em to court, and they don't have any evidence that you have agreed happily anyway to anything.

Offline lfctitch

• Legacy Fan
  • Titch
    • CS5 Design
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 06:34:20 pm »
Not a Mechanic, but know a few, if they are going to do a report it can cost anywhere up to £110 - depends which garage you use. But most likely £50-£60

If its just a sensor you'd probably be looking at £40ish
If its a wiring job £150-£200
If its a new computer fitted £300-£400

As its covered under warrenty, parts/time etc should be free. Although the report most likely not. However word of warning to you; I've heard this often goes again and again, especially if its not sorted properly first time. Make sure the garage give you at least 2 years with the work they've done and make sure you have in clear writing what work was repaired so you have come back if it ever goes again.

Good Luck

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 06:39:31 pm »
Sounds like the acker-wacker valve if you ask me.

Have you tried beating it with a small branch yet?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Pheeny

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 09:24:03 am »
There's your problem, it's a Ford
since 1992 the reliability of Fords has increased 10 fold...

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 09:32:52 am »
Sounds like the acker-wacker valve if you ask me.

Have you tried beating it with a small branch yet?
;D

I reckon it's something to do with the overhead underhang. Failing that, put a coat of black and white striped paint on it.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 09:32:56 am »

Nice use of a relative rather than an absolute statistic there.

Pheeny

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 10:10:25 am »
Nice use of a relative rather than an absolute statistic there.
1992 is the year I started working for Ford. :wave

Offline adwhite40

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 12:03:31 pm »
Rung garage this morning and my car only had a 3month warranty so looks like I will be paying for it but they can't get me in until next week, think it would be best to maybe go to a local garage or stick with the big old ford one?

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 01:27:42 pm »
Rung garage this morning and my car only had a 3month warranty so looks like I will be paying for it but they can't get me in until next week, think it would be best to maybe go to a local garage or stick with the big old ford one?
Always go local , never go to a main dealer ! Or maybe it is different over their , but its highly unlikely .

Offline adwhite40

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 02:32:56 pm »
Always go local , never go to a main dealer ! Or maybe it is different over their , but its highly unlikely .

Spoke to local dealer about hour ago and its gonna cost £30 for them to do the test and then once we know what is wrong with it obviously take it from there . . . God damn cars :(

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 02:43:29 pm »
1992 is the year I started working for Ford. :wave

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 02:51:43 pm »

You were obviously off on the piss the day they fitted the wiring and clutch kit to my Mondeo then