Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 836707 times)

Offline Timeless Melody

• Kopite
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #2240 on: December 13, 2015, 11:37:43 am »

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2241 on: December 13, 2015, 12:39:33 pm »
Those two pictures should be in the 'Atmosphere' thread....a crowd brimming with local youth
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2242 on: December 13, 2015, 02:56:56 pm »
Not sure if this guy's been posted already (probably but I'm not trawling 50-odd pages to find it) but there's some amazing shots in this album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44435674@N00/albums

a brilliant collection ......though somewhat marred by the fella's distracting habit of plastering his name across the photographs
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #2243 on: December 21, 2015, 06:29:19 pm »

Look at the difference in age of the average supporter then versus now.
Victorious and glorious....

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2244 on: December 22, 2015, 10:03:00 pm »
cracking pic from today's Echo

The Peacock Inn, circa 1870

“This used to be on the corner of High Park Street and Park Road and was the first tavern to open in the Toxteth Park area in 1625.

“The building was originally a house belonging to one of the workers of the Molyneaux family when Toxteth was a Royal Deer Park.

“The inn had a chequered past with both Roundheads and Royalists billeting there during the Civil War. It was closed and demolished in the 1890s.”

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2245 on: December 22, 2015, 10:58:46 pm »
cracking pic from today's Echo

The Peacock Inn, circa 1870

“This used to be on the corner of High Park Street and Park Road and was the first tavern to open in the Toxteth Park area in 1625.

“The building was originally a house belonging to one of the workers of the Molyneaux family when Toxteth was a Royal Deer Park.

“The inn had a chequered past with both Roundheads and Royalists billeting there during the Civil War. It was closed and demolished in the 1890s.”

24/7 (Jim) has probably had a pint there.

Amazing pic that.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2247 on: December 25, 2015, 12:28:56 pm »

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2248 on: December 25, 2015, 12:42:45 pm »
They're brilliant those!
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2250 on: December 30, 2015, 03:49:43 pm »
I'd say that that is the corner of Lime Street. With the Futurist at your back, looking towards the corner where the ABC Cinema now stands.

The ABC now replacing those buildings.

Here's the same corner from another angle. Notice the original Blacklers department store on the right of the picture.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2251 on: December 30, 2015, 03:54:16 pm »
Ha Ha Ha. Only just noticed the caption below the photo on the facebook photo.    Fool. Richard.  ;D

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #2252 on: December 31, 2015, 01:17:52 am »
This is brilliant - a film on Liverpool's music scene from 1965 with loads of street scenes and interior shots of The Cavern and pubs ...

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-liverpool-a-go-go-1965/
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2253 on: December 31, 2015, 02:09:49 am »
From the brilliant collection of @angelcakephotos on Twitter :

Casterton Street Edge Hill 1978

1977 Liverpool. Fans leaving Anfield stadium, home of Liverpool FC. Liverpool v Newcastle United

Rice Street showing the rear of Hope Place, 1966 @YeCrackePub on the left
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2254 on: December 31, 2015, 02:20:57 am »
Few more ...

Early shot in the shadow of The Kop

Brock St, 1974

1980s Brookdale Road, Wavertree

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2255 on: December 31, 2015, 02:43:02 am »
Few more from @angelcakephotos - well worth checking , there's about 4000 photos on there !!

1968 a train at Liverpool Docks, not sure exactly where though

The Tower Building and boating lake, New Brighton

1974 Kirkdale

1974 Handel St off Lodge Lane, Bill Shankly attends the street party celebrating winning the FA Cup

Lusitania at Liverpool

c1900 old glass slide of the Liverpool Landing Stage

Princes dock and landing stage

Strand , 1958

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2256 on: December 31, 2015, 12:13:09 pm »
Good them mate, cheers for the effort.  ;)

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2257 on: December 31, 2015, 01:23:09 pm »
Cracking photos.  That c1900 one has the old Riverside Station in the background doesn't it?
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2258 on: December 31, 2015, 03:55:39 pm »
Few more from @angelcakephotos - well worth checking , there's about 4000 photos on there !!

I'm almost certain that that location is now where Costco is, just North of the town centre..

I recognise the brick bridge in the background, with the white circular plaque on it.  The black bridge which the train is going under, is part of Great Howard Street.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 04:02:03 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2259 on: December 31, 2015, 06:07:45 pm »

My uncle use to drive such a train in Birkenhead docks, I can still see him hanging out of the cab.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2260 on: January 1, 2016, 10:20:12 am »
This is brilliant - a film on Liverpool's music scene from 1965 with loads of street scenes and interior shots of The Cavern and pubs ...

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-liverpool-a-go-go-1965/

Brilliant that , the amount of people on it who must recognise themselves from the 60s , and great footage of behind the town hall , old central station , along park road and the Gregsons  well pub party night .

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2261 on: January 1, 2016, 03:07:37 pm »
Just popping in briefly...

You're pretty spot on there Richie.

It's taken from around where Costco appears to be now standing.

The train is heading to Riverside having just emerged from Waterloo tunnel from Edgehill, the headcode looks like it's a railtour special.

(That tower structure in the distance was part of the Tates complex.)

The higher level brick bridge in the background seen behind the metal bridge carrying Great Howard Street is still around.

Streetview here

The view from the river side of Great Howard is now obscured by Costco but here's a pic I found, I supect from before Costco was constructed...

source

Beyond and behind those visible bridges was a further set of bridges ...

You can see the entrance to Waterloo tunnel clearly in that, it goes all the way to Edgehill.
It's still there though somewhat submerged these days....

... the 28 days later lads have been having a dib around...

In the early 60's I was sometimes dragged off to mass in St Augustines which was in that immediate vicinity. I was more interested in the trains than God so I didn't mind too much..
In the late 60's, when I used to occasionally get the electric into Exchange instead of getting off at Oriel to catch the bus to school(and later New Strand when the bus terminus moved there), the train would always crawl along on that higher over bridge in that last picture and you could look down and see all that way below. The track was all still there then but primarily used for I think condemned wagon storage, or at least for a while.

The line to Riverside then proceeded through the land where Costco is and emerged through the gates here..

Streetview today

It then crossed the Waterloo road and entered the Dock complex immediately opposite there..

(it's changed a lot today) and then proceeded along to Riverside.

Interesting bit of film that with some great scenes around and about, I've not seen it before.
From an industrial anorak perspective, at 09.17'ish there's even a shot of D2854 in action on the dock line.

It's survived and been preserved in gwo..
...though I've no idea if Tiffany who is seen singing on the bus at that point is still in full working order....)

That's an interesting picture Tsar, it shows the American Bar in its original setting.
We had a natter on here around five years ago about that place and I wondered if it later got incorporated within the new Forum when it was initially built.

Here's another version of the same pic that Richie posted above which dates it..

And here's a shot from '59...(It must be '59 as The Rebel Set is showing as well as Yesterday's Enemy)

Note that street light from the orginal 30's view that Tsar posted is still there in that shot.

Look at the Bobby on his stand doing traffic control, a very common sight at major junctions around town back then until well into the mid 60's when traffic lights started to get more widely installed.

And those tram lines still visible in the road. They were there and in lots of other places around town and places like West Derby village well into the mid sixties at least. I remember being taken by my older sisters to see Summer Holiday at the Forum/ABC in '63 and the scene still looked pretty much like that then.

The Rebel Set....I wonder how much that influenced some people...

Although I was tiny at the time, I do remember that Beatnick era quite well, lots of lads walking round with trimmed beards and duffle coats and the girls all seemingly wearing tight jumpers. It seemed to last until the start of Merseybeat which swept it all away.

Oh and happy New Year everyone.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2262 on: January 1, 2016, 08:34:07 pm »
Kinell'.  We're all done. Close the thread right there.  CSI-Gully now owns the tinternet.  ;D

All the best fella.  :wave

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2263 on: January 1, 2016, 10:53:30 pm »
Proper pop in that was Chief  :D

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2264 on: January 3, 2016, 06:32:59 pm »
Loved that read!  The Disused Stations site is one of my favourite port-of-calls on the internet.  Seeing places such as the old Central and Exchange stations, and on my side of the water Birkenhead Woodside, it's always amazing to see how things were only a generation before.  I'd have loved a trip to Paddington from Birkenhead, or even a direct train from West Kirby to New Brighton (they only need to link one small stretch on the Bidston triangle to make that happen but that's neither here nor there, they occasionally store a train on it anyway) so seeing a lot of the railway heritage is brilliant to me.  Amazing to see how stations like Spellow and Walton & Anfield could be incorporated once more if it was wanted/needed too.
My Twitter

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2265 on: January 3, 2016, 07:10:58 pm »
Brilliant and welcome back Gulley, you're always missed mate.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2266 on: January 6, 2016, 11:24:11 pm »
what I'd give for a DeLorean and a trip back to the city when it looked like this...imagine wandering around those streets....just an afternoon will do...I'm not greedy

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2267 on: January 7, 2016, 07:35:13 am »
what I'd give for a DeLorean and a trip back to the city when it looked like this...imagine wandering around those streets....just an afternoon will do...I'm not greedy

Besides Albert dock and the pump house the only thing on there I can see that still stands is the carsatelli building at the end of Hanover street ( near the top edge on the right ) houses the hub now , though not sure if the building now is a replica as I'm sure there was damage to the original a few years back

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2268 on: January 7, 2016, 11:41:13 am »
"The bastards have got the custom house" was I believe my great-grandfathers reaction when that manificent building was blitzed. My dad worked in Reece's in Liver Street on the far right there I think? His dad was in Libya giving them hell over there though :D

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2269 on: January 7, 2016, 01:24:41 pm »
the real tragedy of course was that the final nail in the coffin wasn't hammered in by the Luftwaffe, but by the Town Planners who in their wisdom decided not to restore the magnificent building, but to instead demolish it in 1948 - despite no-one in the city apart from them thinking this was the right thing to do.......the current plight of the Futurist shows that the bozos responsible for how the city will look to fuiture generations havent learned much in the subsequent 70 years

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2270 on: January 7, 2016, 08:14:34 pm »
Besides Albert dock and the pump house the only thing on there I can see that still stands is the carsatelli building at the end of Hanover street ( near the top edge on the right ) houses the hub now , though not sure if the building now is a replica as I'm sure there was damage to the original a few years back

If you're talking about that relatively whitish looking building (compared to its surroundings) that's actually gone.  The original was demolished due to extreme neglect (hmm... where have we heard that before?)  What is on the corner now is an exact replica.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2271 on: January 7, 2016, 08:18:17 pm »
the real tragedy of course was that the final nail in the coffin wasn't hammered in by the Luftwaffe, but by the Town Planners who in their wisdom decided not to restore the magnificent building, but to instead demolish it in 1948 - despite no-one in the city apart from them thinking this was the right thing to do.......  the current plight of the Futurist shows that the bozos responsible for how the city will look to future generations haven't learned much in the subsequent 70 years

Liverpool Castle
Overhead Railway
Old Seaman's Home
Clayton Square
The Futurist

This is the Modus operandi of Liverpool City Council - no matter who is in charge.  They are nothing but a bunch of self serving corrupt fuckers.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2272 on: January 7, 2016, 09:21:07 pm »
The story I was told is that after the war, late 40s/early 50s, there was not enough money to repair or restore all the buildings requiring restoration.

The custom house was traded off against the museum on William Brown St.   They only had the money to restore one, and the museum got the nod, as it was deemed easier to repair/restore. By easier, that probably means, less costly.

If saved, the custom house would be the jewel in the crown of Liverpool waterfront these days.  The fourth grace, so to speak.

I've got a book about the custom house, published in 1928, with loads of info, plus quality floor plans/lay outs etc. If I get a chance in the near future, I'll throw up some pics.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2273 on: January 11, 2016, 12:04:24 am »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2274 on: January 11, 2016, 12:06:54 am »
Today

And back then....

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2275 on: January 13, 2016, 01:01:51 pm »
Some interesting Walton photo's here ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/waltononthehill/3875020739/in/photostream/

They are superb.

You've probably seen these but they are of Great Howard St and also Waterloo goods and give a better picture to my post up above..
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/liverpool_great_howard_street/index1.shtml
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/liverpool_great_howard_street/index2.shtml
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/liverpool_great_howard_street/index8.shtml
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/liverpool_great_howard_street/index6.shtml
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/liverpool_waterloo_goods/

And here's a street map of the area...

Thanks for posting that mate-very interesting.

As I type this, I'm sitting in my office about 200 yards from the site of the Great Howard St station.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2276 on: January 13, 2016, 01:59:03 pm »
the real tragedy of course was that the final nail in the coffin wasn't hammered in by the Luftwaffe, but by the Town Planners who in their wisdom decided not to restore the magnificent building, but to instead demolish it in 1948 - despite no-one in the city apart from them thinking this was the right thing to do.......the current plight of the Futurist shows that the bozos responsible for how the city will look to fuiture generations havent learned much in the subsequent 70 years

Hiya mate,

Don't know if my old memory is playing tricks - but you might be able to help.

I was told that the giant dressed limestone blocks that used to stand in a big pile right opposite the entrance to my old school [St Vinnys] came from the Custom House. Any idea if that was true? Its not very far from the site of the original building, so has a ring of truth about it.

All the kids used to climb all over them - there must have been dozens of blocks about 5' long, 3' high and 3' thick. They were just left in a big heap on some waste ground. You could see that one face of each had been carved/tooled with a pattern and a border. Beautiful things they were.

All changed down there now of course, but this would have been on the corner of Park Lane/Dickinson Street, just a few yards along from the Swedish Church, circa 1972-76 ish.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2277 on: January 14, 2016, 08:21:07 pm »

Just seen this one on Facebook not sure if it's been here before

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2278 on: January 14, 2016, 11:45:47 pm »
That's fantastic.  And also a reminder of what's going to be lost.
My Twitter

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #2279 on: January 15, 2016, 06:37:14 am »

Is there any way of making an interactive map where, if we click on a part, we can see where the pictures originate?  Like if I were to have an old photo of Road X in Garston, what if there was an online map I could click on to either recreate and position where the image is or, at the very least, the point in time and space it was taken?

A bit off topic but I was recently recommended an app named Ingress. I have been using it on my recent travels and I like some aspects of the app. It uses GPS. After locating artwork around the city you are in it starts showing similar work around town. Works for sculptures, architecture, graffiti, etc. Will not help you with old school work from the past but might interest you if you are looking for current and/or new inspiration.