Author Topic: Dave Fallows and Barry Hunter from Man City to join our scouting team  (Read 25015 times)

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
Re: Dave Fallows and Barry Hunter from Man City to join our scouting team
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2012, 03:45:45 pm »
So you're a big fan of Graham Carr, despite...<snip>
A big fan of what he did in the 12 months between Jan 2011 and Jan 2012, yes. As you say yourself. Plus any man who absolutely shows up Comolli for the fraudster he was, gets my vote.

Of course, we wouldn't really be foolish enough to appoint someone in such a prominent position based on just one season of excellent work now would we?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 03:47:26 pm by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2012, 03:47:49 pm »
Of course, we wouldn't really be foolish enough to appoint someone in such a prominent position based on just one season of excellent work now would we?

So it would be alright for the scout but not the manager then...

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2012, 03:48:54 pm »
A big fan of what he did in the 12 months between Jan 2011 and Jan 2012, yes. As you say yourself. Plus any man who absolutely shows up Comolli for the fraudster he was, gets my vote.

:D
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2012, 03:49:29 pm »
Jo to me seems like a scouts suggestion plus he had done well in the CL season before.  Santa Cruz was bought because he had been great for Hughes at Blackburn. Robinho was a statement making buy, I doubt it had anything to do with the scouts.

He was bought on the day they bought the club, wasn't he? Scouting was nothing to do with it. Chelsea were about to buy him and the Sheik just gazumped them.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2012, 03:49:32 pm »
No one seems to be questioning 'Why' they are leaving the comfort of millionaires row, for relative paupers(in comparison) LFC?
Surely, if they where that good, City would just throw more cash at them to stay?
I'm very skeptical about anyone who leaves the millions and comfort of City.........I'm not being funny but, these fellas aren't life long LFC fans! Whats there motivation...A new project or City want to get rid anyway, as they're 'Not that very good'?

That is something that we will probably never know. The other side of your example is that maybe moving to City was not all that it was cracked up to be. I am sure that there are many on RAWK that have been in a job/careers before that they didn't like how things were evolving in the industry or how their particular division in the company worked  etc. and decided to leave before everything hit the fan. I know I have been in jobs "careers" like that.

Maybe they just like the weather in Liverpool better than Manchester.   :D

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2012, 03:49:36 pm »

I'd like to think we take each case on its own merits. Maybe a near seventy year old scout with no real history of punching above his weight is something different to I don't know, let's just say, a 39 year old manager with little history full stop?

Not that you were getting at that Rossi. You wouldn't make your mind up on someone before they've had a chance ;)
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2012, 03:50:46 pm »
So it would be alright for the scout but not the manager then...
Remind me to to decorate the sarcasm and insinuation in my post with flashing neon lights next time.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2012, 03:57:09 pm »
I'd like to think we take each case on its own merits. Maybe a near seventy year old scout with no real history of punching above his weight is something different to I don't know, let's just say, a 39 year old manager with little history full stop?

Not that you were getting at that Rossi. You wouldn't make your mind up on someone before they've had a chance ;)
I don't think bringing age into this is a valid argument, whatever your thoughts.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2012, 04:00:27 pm »
So you're a big fan of Graham Carr, despite being at City when they scouted Gelson Fernandes, Rolando Bianchi, Elano, Felipe Caicedo etc? Basically a whole host of players who failed to settle in England... And Gelson Fernandes. I assume he would've been involved in scouting Jo as well, given he joined just weeks after Sven left, and Carr was tied to Sven.

He also worked under David Pleat when he was DOF at Spurs... Could he be the super scout that picked up Jonathan Blondel and Acimovic?

Carr's managed to have a banging season, let's be fair. He's not exactly Monchi in the mid-noughties though.

Would also seem a bit rich to put Balotelli on Fallows, given he's clearly Mancini's player, in moments of genius and otherwise.

Didn't Carr do well at City? I'm just going off memory here but weren't the likes of Elano and Giovanni really good for them?

Offline arcticus

• No massive asset. Doesn't know the difference between the 1st and 31st. Watched the Arsenal game sat in a pool of shite.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2012, 04:10:37 pm »
Difference being is that City can well afford to make huge mistakes. We cannot.

Although we've been doing a great job of putting that to the test over the past few years.
I think we aced that test long ago, mate.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2012, 04:26:04 pm »
Didn't Carr do well at City? I'm just going off memory here but weren't the likes of Elano and Giovanni really good for them?

Giovanni had 3 good weeks at the start of the season. Elano was inconsistent at best and couldn't settle in England. Infact most of the signings they made under Eriksson (and thus presumably scouted by Carr) failed to settle in England... and details like that are stuff that scouts are meant to supply managers with.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2012, 04:28:21 pm »
Interesting appointments.
I dont know why some of our fans follow this club at all.
All they do is fucking moan and see the negatives.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2012, 04:32:17 pm »

No kidding right.  It's fucking embarrassing at times. 

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2012, 04:32:53 pm »
Giovanni had 3 good weeks at the start of the season. Elano was inconsistent at best and couldn't settle in England. Infact most of the signings they made under Eriksson (and thus presumably scouted by Carr) failed to settle in England... and details like that are stuff that scouts are meant to supply managers with.
How exactly are scouts supposed to judge whether a player will settle in England or not? Psychometric tests?

Ultimately, they are there to assess whether they will do the business on the pitch or not. How the player acts off it, in a new country, is down to them. Balotelli to give but one example.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2012, 04:34:41 pm »
How exactly are scouts supposed to judge whether a player will settle in England or not? Psychometric tests?

Ultimately, they are there to assess whether they will do the business on the pitch or not. How the player acts off it, in a new country, is down to them. Balotelli to give but one example.

So you don't feel that scouts should look into the personality of the player?

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2012, 04:47:39 pm »
So you don't feel that scouts should look into the personality of the player?
Of course I do. Meet the family, speak to their schoolteachers and all that shit. But it's all a bit irrelevant really when it comes down to it, as in most non-extreme cases, you can't say for certain who is going to settle and who isn't until you put these kids in that situation. The best you can hope for is to manage any problems as they go along.

Offline arcticus

• No massive asset. Doesn't know the difference between the 1st and 31st. Watched the Arsenal game sat in a pool of shite.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2012, 04:49:35 pm »
Of course I do. Meet the family, speak to their schoolteachers and all that shit. But it's all a bit irrelevant really when it comes down to it, as in most non-extreme cases, you can't say for certain who is going to settle and who isn't until you put these kids in that situation. The best you can hope for is to manage any problems as they go along.
I'd just get a couple extra players to help them settle, similar to what United did for Ljajic

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2012, 04:51:44 pm »
 Barry Hunter used to play for my team over here Crusaders.He was a decent CB and got a move to Wrexham in the early 90s.Also remember him being very tall and lanky!
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline thew

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2012, 04:53:20 pm »
I know pretty much nothing about how scouting works. My question is this: do certain scouts have reputations which provide more pull with certain clubs/players? Man City have been dealing with some of the top teams in the world over the last few years, will the connections the scouts have made over this time potentially open avenues which were previously closed off to LFC?

This is an interesting question - its my impression (from limited contact with scouts) that it is very important to have a scouting network that has the right connections established with the agents. The man city appointments are presumably to some extent replacing some of those lost with the departure of commoli... Given the number of players that must have been touted to man city over the past few seasons, this should automatically provide us with a large pool of talent that we may not have seen before...

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2012, 04:58:36 pm »
How exactly are scouts supposed to judge whether a player will settle in England or not?

Give them fish and chips and a pint and sit them down in front of a DVD of 'MOTD - The best of Alan Hansen'. If they don't run screaming from the room by the 20 minute mark, you have a winner.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2012, 05:12:46 pm »

There are a lot of fans on here who are either wannabe managers or the football equivalent of trainspotters. They over analyse every decision that the club makes to death.

Offline .Mike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2012, 05:13:34 pm »
Ignore them. The majority of fans on like this.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2012, 05:30:29 pm »
There are a lot of fans on here who are either wannabe managers or the football equivalent of trainspotters. They over analyse every decision that the club makes to death.

Thing is mate, im all up for healthy debate, this place is fantastic for it, some of the posts are very thought provoking, and of course there needs to be a sense of keeping tabs on FSG, they havent endeared themselves too well but at the same time there is a huge undercurrent of posters in here who see nothing but negatives, who just moan and complain at every little decision, weve even got some analysing the shit out of the
new warrior gear and moaning about it as if its gonna break the club or something. And people telling our club how it should be run, who we should buy and what the design of a fucking school bag should be, yet they have no experience or skills in said areas.
Its quite breathtaking at times.
Very depressing this place at the moment, and probably much to the relief of a few, ive not been posting that much lately because it just brings me down, and thats just the football sections of the forum.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2012, 05:37:41 pm »
Probably asked already but I'm wondering why their leaving City after the season they had winning the league and the money at City ? and if there so good why would City let them go ?

Edit
Suppose they want to do some scouting for a change
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:15:09 pm by rocco »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2012, 05:39:32 pm »
Ignore them. The majority of fans on like this.

Do we know enough to 'like' or 'dislike' this? (Makes it sounds like f*cking Facebook.) To me, the only conclusion I can draw is that at least the more recent appointments seem to be more informed and interesting than sticking with Hodgson because they knew nothing and appointing Comolli on the say-so of a Baseball mate. The proof will be in the season to come.

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2012, 05:44:05 pm »

I've come to the realisation that some people just don't enjoy football, they just can't, but they're still obsessed with it. Must be a painful existence.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2012, 05:48:58 pm »
I've come to the realisation that some people just don't enjoy football, they just can't, but they're still obsessed with it. Must be a painful existence.

Like i said a healthy sense of scepticism is fine, but i suppose its the nature of being a fan to a degree at never being satisfied.
They are no better than those who booed us off the pitch when we went top of the league couple of yrs ago.

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2012, 05:58:30 pm »
This is an interesting question - its my impression (from limited contact with scouts) that it is very important to have a scouting network that has the right connections established with the agents. The man city appointments are presumably to some extent replacing some of those lost with the departure of commoli... Given the number of players that must have been touted to man city over the past few seasons, this should automatically provide us with a large pool of talent that we may not have seen before...

That's what I thought. I think this move could actually be quite a shrewd one, to be honest.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2012, 06:23:49 pm »
Do we know enough to 'like' or 'dislike' this? (Makes it sounds like f*cking Facebook.) To me, the only conclusion I can draw is that at least the more recent appointments seem to be more informed and interesting than sticking with Hodgson because they knew nothing and appointing Comolli on the say-so of a Baseball mate. The proof will be in the season to come.

That's it, most of us know fuck all about how good or bad these appointments are and don't have any real knowledge to judge them on, however it's always good to hear from the exceptions that who do have a bit more insight. I personally  hope the TLW article is wrong and these are people that Rodgers has wanted, he's the football expert we've employed I'd hope scouting would be an area we're he'd have major imput.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2012, 06:44:39 pm »
Can they bring the Sheikh's cheque book with them. 
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2012, 06:57:58 pm »
Boss appointment!
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2012, 07:00:30 pm »
Like i said a healthy sense of scepticism is fine, but i suppose its the nature of being a fan to a degree at never being satisfied.
They are no better than those who booed us off the pitch when we went top of the league couple of yrs ago.

Sorry mate but you have got some gall posting this!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2012, 07:01:38 pm »
It still looks like Rodgers will get the final say and that's the most important one when it comes to signings. Don't know a lot about the scouting side of things. Personally I'd like to think we have links to people involved in national youth teams in other countries. It's been instrumental in Montpellier winning the French league. Their manager knew the French youth set up inside out.

Anyhow we can rest assured that all these guys will be sacked promptly if they dont produce quickly. For better or worse.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2012, 07:04:32 pm »
Sorry mate but you have got some gall posting this!

I cant be arsed with an argument mate, no offence, but why ?
Because I dared to question Rafa towards the end of his tenure ?
Leave it out.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2012, 07:07:10 pm »
Happy with this, know fuck all about the pair of them but it's an area of the club that I & others have complained about constantly for about 2 years now. Glad to see the club have recognised there's a problem & have taken steps to rectify it. Best of luck to both of them! (or all 3 if twitter is to be believed)
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2012, 07:10:48 pm »
I cant be arsed with an argument mate, no offence, but why ?
Because I dared to question Rafa towards the end of his tenure ?
Leave it out.
Not to go over old ground you ran a negative campaign about him daily , which is your right but given that it made me reply to your strange holier than thou stance now!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2012, 07:17:19 pm »
Well not going to write off these guys unless I have to , one point thought not sure about fallows but hunter worked with Rodgers at Reading so another of Brendan's men but he and Brendan didn't do too well with Reading though?

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2012, 07:33:39 pm »
Not to go over old ground you ran a negative campaign about him daily , which is your right but given that it made me reply to your strange holier than thou stance now!

A negative " Campaign " Errr, no!, but like i said i cant be arsed, just this place bringing me down mate, constant negativity.
Best to avoid it for a while I reckon. Which im sure will pls you ;)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2012, 07:39:52 pm »
A negative " Campaign " Errr, no!, but like i said i cant be arsed, just this place bringing me down mate, constant negativity.
Best to avoid it for a while I reckon. Which im sure will pls you ;)

Pm me if you wish so we don't divert this.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2012, 07:49:28 pm »
Pm me if you wish so we don't divert this.

Have done.