Author Topic: Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel Partnership  (Read 346666 times)

Offline Redeye

• Kopite
  • 31/1/59 Sunderland 3-1 Wheeler Bimpson Morris
Re: Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel Partnership
« Reply #1680 on: March 2, 2012, 11:51:54 pm »

If you are worried about the speed and the
 directness then why are you advocating the return of a slow aerially weak converted full back who has shown time and time again that he simply cannot cope against quick players or big strong players.

Yet this "slow", "aerially weak "(!), "converted full back" who has "shown time and time again  he simply cannot cope against quick players or big strong players" has somehow managed to amass almost 700 games for the club, selected by a succession of managers.

Notwithstanding, I'll take your word as gospel  for it....
"Everybody at Anfield hopes that in the not too distant future Bill Shankly will lead the club back to the First Division - and also to a Cup Final victory."

Offline therockbox

• Legacy Fan
  • Funklord
« Reply #1681 on: March 3, 2012, 12:22:36 am »
Yet this "slow", "aerially weak "(!), "converted full back" who has "shown time and time again  he simply cannot cope against quick players or big strong players" has somehow managed to amass almost 700 games for the club, selected by a succession of managers.
An argument that sounds lovely, but one that unfortunately is drizzled with sentimentality and means absolutely nothing when it comes to what he offers now.

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #1682 on: March 3, 2012, 12:34:06 am »
Undecided Carra or Coates.However,I would prefer to see Martin on the right of the defence, which means Coates playing.

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1683 on: March 3, 2012, 12:42:24 am »
Everybody saw the potential on paper of Agger and Skrtel - especially Rafa who brought them in for exactly that reason they compliment each other perfectly but Agger has been a sick note and Skrtel's form since his knee injury had been average. Skrtel would not have been top of my pick list for MOTM at Wembley after his gutless peformance against Spurs.

Second guessing form is nigh on impossible - which out of form player is going to hit form next - Downing, Carroll, Henderson, Adam, Enrique, Suarez? 

If the manager sticks with a player and he does not come good he gets crucified because he should have being playing somebody else - if he doesn't stick with  a player and another player comes in and fails he should have stuck with the original one - 'fans' always have hindsight, they always judge on results - they see the 'success' they want to see and ignore the bits that dont fit their  view - its human nature and its bollocks but we can't help it

You say you knew Skrtel would have been playing as well as he has I believe you, but I didn't think he would be, I didn't see him fist pumping and leading the defence as he has and I've normally been pro the lad - you say its absolutely shameful its taken so long and its a carra conspiracy and I say you're talking Bollocks and letting your anti Carra vendetta blind you to reality
??

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1684 on: March 3, 2012, 12:43:19 am »
Everybody saw the potential on paper of Agger and Skrtel - especially Rafa who brought them in for exactly that reason they compliment each other perfectly but Agger has been a sick note and Skrtel's form since his knee injury had been average. Skrtel would not have been top of my pick list for MOTM at Wembley after his gutless peformance against Spurs.

Second guessing form is nigh on impossible - which out of form player is going to hit form next - Downing, Carroll, Henderson, Adam, Enrique, Suarez? 

If the manager sticks with a player and he does not come good he gets crucified because he should have being playing somebody else - if he doesn't stick with  a player and another player comes in and fails he should have stuck with the original one - 'fans' always have hindsight, they always judge on results - they see the 'success' they want to see and ignore the bits that dont fit their  view - its human nature and its bollocks but we can't help it

You say you knew Skrtel would have been playing as well as he has I believe you, but I didn't think he would be, I didn't see him fist pumping and leading the defence as he has and I've normally been pro the lad - you say its absolutely shameful its taken so long and its a carra conspiracy and I say you're talking Bollocks and letting your anti Carra vendetta blind you to reality

Form let's be brutally honest here form for a centre back means outrunning, outjumping and out anticipating the oppositions forwards. Jamie hasn't been close to being able to do that for two or three years. He has been like a man with fading eyesight who uses never going out and remembering where the furniture is as coping mechanisms. Jamie has been dropping off quick players and then holding their shirts when they beat him, has been blocking off and impeding tall players when they jumped for the ball and worst of all he has been blaming his teammates for his mistakes.

Like that partiality sighted man using coping techniques Jamie only copes on his terms and in his own environment that is when you play games happy with what you have got.

In modern football you either rely on mistakes and individual brilliance to win games or you accept that you have to commit and at times over commit players and leave your Centre backs one one.

With Jamie in the side you are left with only the first option. Leave him one on one with an opponent in space and he will get done time and time again.

As for having a vendetta against Jamie I haven't I am just sick to the back teeth of watching Liverpool trying to stay in games hoping for a mistake or a individual bit of brilliance.

We are far far better than that. Football has moved on and we need to move on.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1685 on: March 3, 2012, 01:19:49 am »

Notwithstanding, I'll take your word as gospel  for it....

I reckon Ian Callaghan could still do a job for us. Callaghan must be good if he's managed to amass 856 appearances for us.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1686 on: March 3, 2012, 01:26:06 am »

With Jamie in the side you are left with only the first option. Leave him one on one with an opponent in space and he will get done time and time again.

You'll obviously have numerous examples of this from this season then to back up your argument......?

It's evident he's gone backwards as a player but the notion that it's as far as you're saying and that he's an out and out liability that shouldn't even be in the league is ridiculously prejudice, as you always are on this subject.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #1687 on: March 3, 2012, 07:14:04 am »
You'll obviously have numerous examples of this from this season then to back up your argument......?

It's evident he's gone backwards as a player but the notion that it's as far as you're saying and that he's an out and out liability that shouldn't even be in the league is ridiculously prejudice, as you always are on this subject.

He's been an definite liability for at least a season, a debatable one for the 2 before that.  Drops us deep, loses the ball by hoofing it, undermines the other CB. It's been a scratched record for a very long time. There's 2 reasons he is still near the first team squad...1. His mate gave him a contract extension 2. He's a local lad

Neither of those reasons relate to how he'll play on Saturday.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1688 on: March 3, 2012, 08:19:25 am »

I honestly have no idea whatsoever what this passage means

Offline TLW 84

• Kopite
« Reply #1689 on: March 3, 2012, 08:35:39 am »
I really think that if Kenny thought he had declined as much as people say he has, he wouldn't dream of starting him in this game.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1690 on: March 3, 2012, 10:59:31 am »
Phil jones looks at a top class player to come, come on neil have you seen him at this season. Talent as he is, he is a diaster at centre back and his been this season for man united, positionally he is awful and he is pretty short so has a problem dealing with high balls which has been exposed a number of times this year. Only difference now is jones is under spot light compared to his blackburn days where he played a significant number of games in midfield or a back 5. Jones has been vastly overrated and theres a reason ferguson has moved him to right back and midfield.

Disagree mate I think he's brilliant. I think he's had a steep learning curve playing with the likes of Evans and Smalling in a transitional United defence which has been all over the place because Ferdinand, Vidic, Rafael, Smalling etc have been injured so much and yes he has made mistakes but the reason they have moved him to RB and DM so much is because they don't have a good DM and haven't had RBs fit as above. He is a proper footballer, very intelligent with all the raw gifts.

Exactly.  Another overrated over-hyped English defender.

Nah, Kenny & Clarke wanted to spend £16m on him because he is boss. He is going to be a great player - he is not a run of the mill Prem defender, he could be as good for United as Terry was for Chelsea in his prime. Gutted we missed out on him.

Here is Phil Jones career before this season

and

Seb Coates career before this season

It is abundantly clear which player had the most experience the one who has been playing Top flight Uruguayan Football, had reached the semi final of the South American equivalent of the Champions League, had played in the U20 World Cup and the South American U20 Championship and the one who had won both the Copa America title and the Copa America best young player.

We need to start remembering which team reached the semi's of the World Cup and which Country is it's continents Champions.

It is abundantly clear that Phil Jones had the most Premier League experience and has far more experience at this level in this country than Coates and that is what I said. I didn't make any claim disputing their experience overall, I think you're intelligent enough to see that. Jones had already had a great year at Blackburn, most of it playing at CB and impressing week in, week out. It takes time to adapt to a new country and a different style of football. Coates may be better than Jones in the long haul and I hope he is but if Jones was here he would be in our first team already because he is ready for this league and has excelled in it and Coates is clearly not yet, or Kenny & Steve would pick him ahead of Carra. I don't think the international comparison of Uruguay and England is relevant to this debate and I don't think your point about Ferguson blooding young but Premiership experienced players compares with our management taking their time with a youngster new to this country. I agree with the likes of Tim Vickery, the transition is huge and cannot be made overnight.

Offline OldPoem

• Anny Roader
  • This space is for sale.
« Reply #1691 on: March 3, 2012, 02:45:11 pm »
Would play him today instead of shouting static one we had today...

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #1692 on: March 3, 2012, 02:53:29 pm »
Hmmm....
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1693 on: March 3, 2012, 02:59:36 pm »
Skrtel is boss. I wasn't convinced of many people's arguments that Agger makes Skrtel tick. In reality, Agger and Skrtel together make the partnership tick. Today we saw how Skrtel absolutely bossed van Persie, ran around and played his heart out, even with Carragher having a mare beside him. 94th minute I suppose was when he was chasing the ball from defense to attack trying to win it back. He's such a prime example of how being functional, spirited, knowing your role in the team, backing your own ability and being completely focused on the pitch are such a plus to any side.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1694 on: March 3, 2012, 04:31:28 pm »
I honestly have no idea whatsoever what this passage means

Think the first sentence is easy enough. 'Skrtel's form since his knee injury had been average' - this is in reponse to the assertion that it had been shameful Skrtel had not played with Agger consistently sooner.

The second sentence was a bit tortuous wasn't it - sorry about that. What I was trying to say was after Skrtels gutless performance against Spurs,  in our 4 - 0 defeat, not only wouldn't I have been picking him to partner Agger, I wouldn't have been picking him at all. Yet the lad has been our most improved player this season and he was immense against Cardiff and led the defence briliantly at Wembley, Consequently I had him as my MOTM  in that game. The basic giste was how he has performed of late shouldn't be used to call team selection from 12 months ago shameful.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1695 on: March 3, 2012, 08:17:06 pm »
Think the first sentence is easy enough. 'Skrtel's form since his knee injury had been average' - this is in reponse to the assertion that it had been shameful Skrtel had not played with Agger consistently sooner.

The second sentence was a bit tortuous wasn't it - sorry about that. What I was trying to say was after Skrtels gutless performance against Spurs,  in our 4 - 0 defeat, not only wouldn't I have been picking him to partner Agger, I wouldn't have been picking him at all. Yet the lad has been our most improved player this season and he was immense against Cardiff and led the defence briliantly at Wembley, Consequently I had him as my MOTM  in that game. The basic giste was how he has performed of late shouldn't be used to call team selection from 12 months ago shameful.

Skrtel wasn't 'gutless' against Tottenham, he had a poor game are RB - NOT his usual position - and Carragher played at CB. Virtually the whole team was poor that day so why is there a need to single out Skrtel? Carragher was just as bad that day playing in his favoured position so presumably you wouldn't have picked him at all either? Many were calling for Skrtel and Agger to be partnered together for a while as there was always the potential for it to develop and given Carragher's general performances in recent years. The same now applies to Coates, who's a young player with potential. Given the alternatives (when Skrtel or Agger are out) and Coates' potential, it seems logical to give him some games. He might and most likely will make mistakes but at 21 that's expected and part of the game and I'd much rather be playing 21 year old Coates making mistakes than 34 year old Carragher who again unsurprisingly did.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1696 on: March 3, 2012, 08:19:26 pm »
Skrtel keeps getting better and better. Was great again today.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1697 on: March 3, 2012, 08:29:08 pm »
He is just an absolute monster. One of the best defenders in the league now, and probably our player of the season. Hope Agger's injury doesn't affect his form too much.

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #1698 on: March 3, 2012, 08:33:44 pm »
Skrtel or Agger. Who do you guys think is better?

I am glad we have these two beasts.
When discussing Dirk Kuyt's work rate :

I don't think he works as hard as some people claim. No harder, for example, than Stewart Downing.

18 League Titles and 5 European Cups. Get counting.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1699 on: March 3, 2012, 08:54:05 pm »
Skrtel wasn't 'gutless' against Tottenham, he had a poor game are RB -

no,  he was unfortunately gutless,  including the foul for his sending off, looking for an early shower and got one - he looked and played like he did not want to be there on the day, and it was in no small measure why we were so poor - the lack of confidence rippled out from him like a bloody wave that day-  please dont make excuses for that performance it didn't deserve any - I also appreciate that the Greek financial meltdown and the rise of neo nazisim in Germany are down to Carra I'm just surprised nobody has raised those issues yet
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1700 on: March 3, 2012, 08:59:56 pm »
no,  he was unfortunately gutless,  including the foul for his sending off, looking for an early shower and got one - he looked and played like he did not want to be there on the day, and it was in no small measure why we were so poor - the lack of confidence rippled out from him like a bloody wave that day-  please dont make excuses for that performance it didn't deserve any - I also appreciate that the Greek financial meltdown and the rise of neo nazisim in Germany are down to Carra I'm just surprised nobody has raised those issues yet

You must have a different interpretation of the word 'gutless' because he had a bad game. It happens to players, it happened to virtually our team thatday but yeah, single out Skrtel for no reason. I don't know if you're a body language expert but I've never seen that from him and don't assume to know how a player feels. What excuses have I made? He was played out of position and that's a fact, like it or not and like I said, you haven't afforded Carragher the same critique despite him being poor that day.

And no, it's blaming Carragher for anything other than playing poorly - I haven't seen anyone say anything other than his on pitch performances - but if you want to defend him for any other reasons you'd like to make up, you can go ahead.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1701 on: March 3, 2012, 09:02:02 pm »
You must have a different interpretation of the word 'gutless' because he had a bad game. It happens to players, it happened to virtually our team thatday but yeah, single out Skrtel for no reason. I don't know if you're a body language expert but I've never seen that from him and don't assume to know how a player feels. What excuses have I made? He was played out of position and that's a fact, like it or not and like I said, you haven't afforded Carragher the same critique despite him being poor that day.

And no, it's blaming Carragher for anything other than playing poorly - I haven't seen anyone say anything other than his on pitch performances - but if you want to defend him for any other reasons you'd like to make up, you can go ahead.

He's abit bizarre in his comments, it was a silly challenge to get sent off but it wasn't anywhere near gutless

Offline Cicero

• Main Stander
« Reply #1702 on: March 3, 2012, 09:10:05 pm »
Our CB partnership has been fantastic this season. Skrtel for me is the player of the season so far.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1703 on: March 3, 2012, 09:11:44 pm »

gutless: lacking courage or determination

singled out because on the day he was 'gutless', same way I singled him out last week for being fantastic
just writing it as I see it - is it ok to write I thought he looked pumped up and determined last week because as you say I'm not a body language expert.............

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1704 on: March 3, 2012, 09:13:40 pm »
What was so gutless about it? I'd assume every player wants to play and play well unless there's anything proven otherwise, and there wasn't at White Hart Lane.

And I'll ask you again, how do you think did Carragher play in that game?
« Last Edit: March 3, 2012, 09:16:34 pm by Hazell »

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1705 on: March 3, 2012, 09:15:49 pm »
What was so gutless about it? And I'll ask you again, how did Carragher play in that game?

Don't think skrtel can be called gutless for that to be honest. He was isolated up against bale and had no cover in an unfamilar position, he was always going to have a tough game. The whole team was cack that day and if skrtel was gutless for his sending off then so was adam for that rake on parker to get sent off.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1706 on: March 3, 2012, 09:19:04 pm »
He wasn't gutless and there's no need to try put one player down in order to defend another.

I know mate, I'm just making a point that a player can't be considered gutless if he is playing out of position and poorly. Did skrtel really want to get sent off and hamper his team? I very much doubt it as I doubt adam wanted an early bath either.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1707 on: March 3, 2012, 09:20:34 pm »
I know mate, I'm just making a point that a player can't be considered gutless if he is playing out of position and poorly. Did skrtel really want to get sent off and hamper his team? I very much doubt it as I doubt adam wanted an early bath either.

Yeah sorry mate, that wasn't directed at you. I know it read that way which is why I deleted it.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1708 on: March 3, 2012, 09:24:46 pm »
Yeah sorry mate, that wasn't directed at you. I know it read that way which is why I deleted it.

No worries mate, been a tough day all round.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1709 on: March 3, 2012, 09:27:33 pm »

Agger. Skrtel is getting better all the time though.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1710 on: March 3, 2012, 09:30:01 pm »

Shame about the depth though.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1711 on: March 3, 2012, 09:37:29 pm »
What was so gutless about it? And I'll ask you again, how did Carragher play in that game?

You seem intent on turning this into a Skrtel Carra contest?

Go back and watch the game - watch how he defended against Bale or rather didn't, he neither gets close or gets in position to cover, watch how he played with the ball or rather didn't unable to find a red shirt within two yards - watch how after 5 minutes the hole at right back sends ripples through the team and puts the whole team on edge,  watch the fouls, particularly the one for the sending off, - he gave up on the game and on the team and took an easy option. I very rarely slate any of our players, check my post history, I've generally supported Skrtel, its very rare for any of our players not to try, thats one of the reasons that performance stands out for me, it was gutless.

Whats any of that got to do with Carragher? I do remember Carragher tiring towards the end of the game and making a couple of mistakes certainly one of which cost us a goal - I can live with that - same way I can live with Kuyt not being Messi any player who gives 100% even if they come up short gets my support thats all anybody should ask of a player. 

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1712 on: March 3, 2012, 09:48:42 pm »
Go back and watch the game - watch how he defended against Bale or rather didn't, he neither gets close or gets in position to cover, watch how he played with the ball or rather didn't unable to find a red shirt within two yards - watch how after 5 minutes the hole at right back sends ripples through the team and puts the whole team on edge,  watch the fouls, particularly the one for the sending off, - he gave up on the game and on the team and took an easy option. I very rarely slate any of our players, check my post history, I've generally supported Skrtel, its very rare for any of our players not to try, thats one of the reasons that performance stands out for me, it was gutless.

That isn't being gutless. If you think he didn't try then there's not much to do, it just sounds like clutching at something that isn't there, despite your protestations.

Whats any of that got to do with Carragher? I do remember Carragher tiring towards the end of the game and making a couple of mistakes certainly one of which cost us a goal - I can live with that - same way I can live with Kuyt not being Messi any player who gives 100% even if they come up short gets my support thats all anybody should ask of a player. 

If you read back through this thread, the whole issue has been whether Carragher should play or whether Coates should, given Agger's injury. That's what your posts were about until you decided to have a go at Skrtel for being 'gutless' against Spurs. That Carragher played just as bad against Totenham is relevant because that's what this is about and it's unfair to single out one player when the person who you're attempting to defend gets ignored (until now) for his performance in the same game. As it is, we started off poorly conceding within 7 mins and never really improved, a big reason being Spurs pressing us from the off in the knowledge that Carragher and Skrtel, in an unfamiliar position, could be harried and pressured. That's what happened and we deservedly lost. So yes, Carragher's performance is relevant given your desire to make a case for him earlier in this thread.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1713 on: March 3, 2012, 10:33:46 pm »

you can´t ask this way.. you would have to compare the minutes they played, and goals against us when they played without each other... + goals they scored etc..whatever, glad both are at our side..

Coates was bought to cover for them.. he should have...otherwise he won´t improve...

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1714 on: March 3, 2012, 10:34:17 pm »

Do us a favour Gutless is a natural Full Back who has played as a Full back on hundreds of occasions refusing to play at Full back against Boro and leaving Skrtel to face Downing. Gutless is that same natural full back hiding at Centre back and leaving Skrtel a Centre back to face Bale.

Carragher is a natural full back Skrtel is a natural centre back there is only one person who was gutless against Spurs and that was Carragher hiding at Centre back whilst a centre back was torn apart because of his lack of positional play in that position. Then again Carragher playing at full back would of allowed Skrtel and Agger to strike up a partnership and as soon as that happened the inevitable happened and Carra ended up on the bench.

No wonder Jamie freely admitted to playing whilst injured because he was afraid of losing his place.

Vulmea mate you were told leading up to the match what would happen if Jamie was left to mark Van Persie and guess what it came to fruition. Jamie has been an absolute colossus and a brilliant servant but he is no longer a viable option as a Centre back for a top side it is about time Jamie and the likes of yourself acknowledged that before he destroys his fantastic legacy.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #1715 on: March 3, 2012, 10:37:11 pm »
you can´t ask this way.. you would have to compare the minutes they played, and goals against us when they played without each other... + goals they scored etc..whatever, glad both are at our side..

Coates was bought to cover for them.. he should have...otherwise he won´t improve...

I am not asking who is statitically better, just who you think better watching with your eyes. Its a nice question to have, which of our two awesome CBs is more awesome
When discussing Dirk Kuyt's work rate :

I don't think he works as hard as some people claim. No harder, for example, than Stewart Downing.

18 League Titles and 5 European Cups. Get counting.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1716 on: March 3, 2012, 11:22:11 pm »
That isn't being gutless. If you think he didn't try then there's not much to do, it just sounds like clutching at something that isn't there, despite your protestations.

If you read back through this thread, the whole issue has been whether Carragher should play or whether Coates should, given Agger's injury. That's what your posts were about until you decided to have a go at Skrtel for being 'gutless' against Spurs. That Carragher played just as bad against Totenham is relevant because that's what this is about and it's unfair to single out one player when the person who you're attempting to defend gets ignored (until now) for his performance in the same game. As it is, we started off poorly conceding within 7 mins and never really improved, a big reason being Spurs pressing us from the off in the knowledge that Carragher and Skrtel, in an unfamiliar position, could be harried and pressured. That's what happened and we deservedly lost. So yes, Carragher's performance is relevant given your desire to make a case for him earlier in this thread.

clearly you believe I'm defending Carra. The only person I'm aware of defending because he's the only one who appears to need it is Kenny. He picks the team and I believe he picks that team because of what he sees on the training ground and because it best serves Liverpool not because Carragher tells him to.

gutless or not was actually irelevant to the point being made - the point I thought I was making was that Skrtels form has not always been as good as it is now - I did not think that was contentious -  the low point for me was the Spurs game for the reasons discussed enough already not his ability thats why I quoted his performance because it was about him not Carragher  - thats not a defence of Carragher,  why you believe it is I dont understand - if Skrtels form had always been as good as it is now then he would have played more its that simple.   

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1717 on: March 3, 2012, 11:22:27 pm »
Gutted for our defense after today, absolutely gutted. Skrtel should have been where van Persie was for both goals, not Carra. And Coates should have been on the other side, not Carra. But I know fuck all...

The only positive thing is that we have a dozen games to bed in Coates, or at the very least four games until Agger comes back.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1718 on: March 3, 2012, 11:24:01 pm »
Anyone think Coates will start until Agger comes back?

Kenny has been very reluctant to use the youngsters this season, and even though Coates should (and is) good enough to start regularly, I can't help but think that Kenny is going to persist with Carra for this season at least.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1719 on: March 3, 2012, 11:25:03 pm »
So then. Now that fourth is out of reach, how will you guys feel if Carragher retains his place ahead of Coates?