Author Topic: Liverpool Graffiti  (Read 14318 times)

Offline only5times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Believer
Re: Liverpool Graffiti
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2017, 09:04:43 PM »
The Sini Missione ones with Marley and Martin Luther King on are smart.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Son of Spion

• Anny Roader
  • Siempre Antifascista
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2017, 11:27:26 PM »
^
Sine Missione get around. I saw some of their stuff in Ibiza last October. On the back of a 'phone box if I remember right.

^
^
I remember that ''Ordinary To Chelsea'' on Lime St. Even after it had been cleaned off you could still make out what it used to say.
I always thought it was Reds who painted that but I've seen a few Bitters claiming it was theirs. Mind you, they claim everything was theirs, don't they.  ::)

EDIT: Just googled the ''Ordinary To Chelsea'' and found that Transalpino Liverpool do a T-Shirt with it on.

Not sure how true the explanation of the origin of the graffiti is, but this is what it says ...

In August 1978 Everton fans travelling to an away fixture at Stamford Bridge suffered a terrible beating off the pitch as a well organised Chelsea mob attacked them en route in the tube station at Kensington High Street. Now in a time when the city rivalry was more friendly, outraged Scousers joined together and sprayed the infamous graffiti outside Lime Street station for everyone to unite together for Liverpool’s corresponding fixture and serve the Cockney hordes with some payback…. it simply read ‘Ordinary to Chelsea’.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:40:28 PM by Son of Spion »
I'm Not The Prick You Think I Am, I'm A Takotsubo Man...

Offline moondog

• dot com!
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2017, 10:52:55 AM »
Toast Gang filmed their new video around various graffiti spots in Liverpool, check out OPS, www.toastgang.com and pass it around.

Online rob1966

• Sleeping With The Enemy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2017, 11:20:49 AM »
There used to be one in kirkby years ago that was my favourite

"7 Up's great ask Joan Hall"

Was going to post that, was on the leccy side on Tower Hill.

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2017, 09:11:57 AM »
^
Sine Missione get around. I saw some of their stuff in Ibiza last October. On the back of a 'phone box if I remember right.

^
^
I remember that ''Ordinary To Chelsea'' on Lime St. Even after it had been cleaned off you could still make out what it used to say.
I always thought it was Reds who painted that but I've seen a few Bitters claiming it was theirs. Mind you, they claim everything was theirs, don't they.  ::)

EDIT: Just googled the ''Ordinary To Chelsea'' and found that Transalpino Liverpool do a T-Shirt with it on.

Not sure how true the explanation of the origin of the graffiti is, but this is what it says ...

In August 1978 Everton fans travelling to an away fixture at Stamford Bridge suffered a terrible beating off the pitch as a well organised Chelsea mob attacked them en route in the tube station at Kensington High Street. Now in a time when the city rivalry was more friendly, outraged Scousers joined together and sprayed the infamous graffiti outside Lime Street station for everyone to unite together for Liverpool’s corresponding fixture and serve the Cockney hordes with some payback…. it simply read ‘Ordinary to Chelsea’.

The bolded bit is a pretty accurate account of the time and at the time there was no bitterness towards each other just banter but when the going got tough both sets did unite . The " battle of Kensington high street " was a small part of an eventful day for our blue bretheren of the time , lads had gone on an ordinary train they used to call the " bright n early " which arrived at euston about 9 o clock , this allowed a rather large crew of blues to roam the streets of London for a few hours .

Anyhow a big crew are walking down some street causing mayhem when someone decides to smash a jewellers window , and in the ensuing chaos some lads start grabbing at stuff out the windows before all scarpering . The clever ones decided to make a quiet exit for the day and return home quietly with there haul ..some decided though to go to the game with there spoils and risk arrest ...some Inc a couple mates of mine were rounded up and taken to the local nick for questioning and a thorough internal examination  :) then allowed out to attend the 3 o clock feature .

Offline Son of Spion

• Anny Roader
  • Siempre Antifascista
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2017, 04:38:53 PM »
^
Thanks for that.
Some crazy times back then, eh.
I'm Not The Prick You Think I Am, I'm A Takotsubo Man...

Offline The 92A

• Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2017, 07:52:43 AM »
I remember talking to my Evertonian best mate about it at the time he was there.  Times were different and we where Scouse first without having to think about it. When Millwall tried to take the Street end and got annihilated about 73 we were playing in the FA Cup and weighed in with Everton. We'd go to school and swap adventures we'd had with each other getting to always so when  Everton got attacked at Chelsea and they had people coming down the escalators and then cut off any retreat by having another mob come in on a tube there was mayhem with people forced onto the track and sustained fighting. It was the height of cheek and was an attack on our mates and fellow Scousers. No one even though about it everyone knew what had to be done. It was the times before we realised the futility of what we took for granted

Offline dave 5516

• A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2017, 08:50:52 AM »
I remember talking to my Evertonian best mate about it at the time he was there.  Times were different and we where Scouse first without having to think about it. When Millwall tried to take the Street end and got annihilated about 73 we were playing in the FA Cup and weighed in with Everton. We'd go to school and swap adventures we'd had with each other getting to always so when  Everton got attacked at Chelsea and they had people coming down the escalators and then cut off any retreat by having another mob come in on a tube there was mayhem with people forced onto the track and sustained fighting. It was the height of cheek and was an attack on our mates and fellow Scousers. No one even though about it everyone knew what had to be done. It was the times before we realised the futility of what we took for granted
Hooligan....
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline The 92A

• Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2017, 09:36:30 AM »
Hooligan....
Need to learn how to type English on my phone first.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • OM Namah Shivaya !
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2017, 03:36:58 PM »
GOURANJA! Near Tuebrook, used to always wonder what that was.

That's a Krishna one .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

He who expects freedom of speech should allow others to speak .  Me - Now.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2017, 08:07:51 PM »
Has anyone noticed how certain parts of the city have become really scruffy, over the last six months, or so.

Has Joe axed the clean up squads?   as there seems to be tagging and shite graffiti proliferating everywhere.

Everyday, there's more and more, and the city suburbs are just getting scruffier and scruffier.   :butt

I've never known the city to have so much graffiti scrawled all aver the place.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2017, 02:43:52 PM »
Has Joe eaten the clean up squads?

Probably ;D

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • Campaigns
  • Believer
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2017, 06:32:05 PM »
Not footie related, but I used to live dangerously sometimes and drive down Everton heights on my way to get to Great Howard Street and one evening sometime around '77 or so I'm sure I remember seeing emblazoned along the top wall of one of the Piggaries, in very large letters, the clear and unambiguous message of "Fuck the Pope".

Certainly as graffiti positioning went, it was quite an impressive achievement, visible for many miles, though I think it only lasted a few days or so before the council came along and cleaned it off, it perhaps being just a tad too provocative in such a prominent position.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  - Sagan
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. - Aldous Huxley
Law of Logical Argument   Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
Believer in the Light Demons of Chunder-Upon-Tits - Corkboy
Very sad man with too much time on your hands - ghost1359

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • OM Namah Shivaya !
« Reply #93 on: Yesterday at 04:19:32 PM »
Not footie related, but I used to live dangerously sometimes and drive down Everton heights on my way to get to Great Howard Street and one evening sometime around '77 or so I'm sure I remember seeing emblazoned along the top wall of one of the Piggaries, in very large letters, the clear and unambiguous message of "Fuck the Pope".

Certainly as graffiti positioning went, it was quite an impressive achievement, visible for many miles, though I think it only lasted a few days or so before the council came along and cleaned it off, it perhaps being just a tad too provocative in such a prominent position.

July sometime ?
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

He who expects freedom of speech should allow others to speak .  Me - Now.