Author Topic: Older places that have gone/changed in Liverpool  (Read 82457 times)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Older places that have gone/changed in Liverpool
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2017, 04:51:46 pm »
The Josephine Butler House on Myrtle St.

I was proper pissed losing this & the manner in which it went too.

And the new building is shite, the fake brick cladding started falling off about a week after it was finished. Don't know why the uni love that brick cladding stuff so much, I noticed some falling off the Sydney Jones the other day. That's an architectural crime as well.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2017, 05:07:59 pm »
To be fair, it's been reported in the echo for the last four or five months.  It went on to consultation with the planning department on I think two occasions, after a protest.

March 2016.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/victoria-street-multi-storey-car-11025303

October 2016 (with picture of proposed development)

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/heres-what-new-victoria-street-12071213?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

I don't read the echo so little wonder I've not heard about it.  Although if that's the only way to hear about this sort of crap then the council isn't putting a lot of effort into publicising this shit imo
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2017, 06:14:36 pm »
I don't read the echo so little wonder I've not heard about it.  Although if that's the only way to hear about this sort of crap then the council isn't putting a lot of effort into publicising this shit imo

Sadly that's the council's MO..as little exposure as possible and get the wrecking ball in pronto

such a sad way to see it go....was only a car park yes, but it offered some welcome city-centre greenery and was a very aesthetically pleasing corner that complemented the surrounding architecture............in the 2012 strategic framework document there were possibilities of it becoming a city centre park (see below).....no such luck - see also the corner of Hardman Street and Hope Street (mentioned in the previous post) - which was similarly earmarked as a potential park/greenspace for students and visitors to the Philharmonic and is now a prefab student lego block with stick-on bricks.

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2017, 06:24:40 pm »
I've Been banging the city centre greenspace / small parks for a while , if your plan is to entice people into the city centre which is my plan one day then green space is a must . New York and paris have this and we should be aiming for it ...but parks need maintenance and don't pay council tax I suppose . Would love to see a bit more philanthropy as well in the city centre , plenty of people from Liverpool have made it very good and are very rich .

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2017, 06:29:36 pm »
One of the worst they ever destroyed was the Sailor's Home.  Imagine that in Liverpool One now, fucking beautiful building.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2017, 04:26:03 pm »
My mate's dad swears down there was an underpass at the end of Lark Lane going under Aigburth Road towards the station - anyone remember this?
Never heard of that mate, there is one from Sefton Park to Otterspool Park.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: February 20, 2017, 05:10:50 pm »
Sadly that's the council's MO..as little exposure as possible and get the wrecking ball in pronto

such a sad way to see it go....was only a car park yes, but it offered some welcome city-centre greenery and was a very aesthetically pleasing corner that complemented the surrounding architecture............in the 2012 strategic framework document there were possibilities of it becoming a city centre park (see below).....no such luck - see also the corner of Hardman Street and Hope Street (mentioned in the previous post) - which was similarly earmarked as a potential park/greenspace for students and visitors to the Philharmonic and is now a prefab student lego block with stick-on bricks.

Agree.  A multi storey car park on Victoria Street will make the area feel really closed in and claustrophobic.  Like Wolstenholme Square is becoming.  Those new buildings are so out of scale with the surrounding area, it's bloody criminal they got the green light.  How the interior of the Kazimier wasn't listed I will never know.  It was amazing, incredibly unique imo.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #207 on: February 21, 2017, 09:25:38 am »
When was that? I lived by Ogdens too but have to say I never noticed the smell or just that it was a nice sweet smell, noticed the buzzer that used to wake me up in the Morning though.  Loved the billboard with the glowing pipe.

Mid 70's onwards mate. One persons sweet to another persons sickly! Honestly, it used to run my stomach ragged. The shift horn was always 0755 each morning, if I recall. Got me out of the house to get the bus to school!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #208 on: February 24, 2017, 01:33:55 am »
My mate's dad swears down there was an underpass at the end of Lark Lane going under Aigburth Road towards the station - anyone remember this?

Yeah does ring a bell that.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #209 on: February 24, 2017, 01:37:51 am »
There's a new dodgy looking Steak Place at the end of Lark Lane now (Near the bus stop on Aigburth Road)

A few decent-ish cafe/bars at the end as well.

Me and the missus pop down there from time to time. Some have come, some have gone.

Don't go to Belly - minging food and terrible service.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2017, 01:52:58 am »
Mid 70's onwards mate. One persons sweet to another persons sickly! Honestly, it used to run my stomach ragged. The shift horn was always 0755 each morning, if I recall. Got me out of the house to get the bus to school!

Yeah, I used to live near Ogden's. That glowing pipe was great.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #211 on: February 24, 2017, 09:11:40 pm »
The Astoria in Walton.  :-\

From a different angle..in the background..

C'mon..fucking own up,who had a pair?

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:16:55 pm by Medellin »
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #212 on: February 24, 2017, 09:22:25 pm »
Flemings?  ;D

Me brother had some.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2017, 09:33:04 pm »
Flemings?  ;D

Me brother had some.

Made me laugh as i had completely forgotten ablout Flemings til i seen the shop in that foto.
I may have had a pair handed down,i'd have to ask one of me brothers.

One place i did frequent was Barnett Shieldhouse..the original sports shop was next door to this & i'm fucked if i knew how that fucker got all those boxes of trabs in his shop..literally every inch covered floor to ceiling.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: February 25, 2017, 09:45:01 pm »
The Astoria in Walton.  :-\

From a different angle..in the background..

C'mon..fucking own up,who had a pair?

Scal Punters Eh! Cheeky Bastards saw my first film there aged about 5 . Flemo's should be a thread about them. One time at aways before we changed fashion for ever with our wedges best way of identifying a fellow Scouser was the white patch on the back of their jeans with the crossed flags. Flemos only worn in Liverpool but we all wore them
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
« Reply #215 on: February 25, 2017, 10:26:35 pm »
Anyone remember the Sausage Factory n lift bridge in Litherland? Have looked for photos and can't find any with the happy n blissfully unaware pig on top of the building I remember as a kid.
I also remember being stuck on the bus - 55 & 28 - while the lift bridge did its thing.
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #216 on: February 25, 2017, 10:49:41 pm »
Flemings?  ;D

Me brother had some.

I had a pair. The big draw was that they were made to measure and cheaper than Levis.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #217 on: February 28, 2017, 11:59:00 am »
Anyone remember the Sausage Factory n lift bridge in Litherland? Have looked for photos and can't find any with the happy n blissfully unaware pig on top of the building I remember as a kid.
I also remember being stuck on the bus - 55 & 28 - while the lift bridge did its thing.

Remember it well - I lived in Inman Rd, Litherland from when i was born in 1956 until 1993 - can still remember the smell if you went down the alleyway that ran under the back of the building. Haven't got any pictures of it though. I used to cross the lift bridge every day going to English martyrs School

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #218 on: February 28, 2017, 03:53:09 pm »
Does anyone remember Nixons factory?

It was behind where the Sportsman pub that i think Whelan/Mcmahon once had interests in on Westminster road?
Think it was Aldhams grove if i remember right,ran parallel to the railway line where we fucked about as kids,that was our Raller.
Nixons was a regular playground when it was abandoned & derelict.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: February 28, 2017, 07:06:37 pm »
L.M.S club in Burnsall street Garston. Boarded up. Me dads refuge. Many a time I was sent round to pay his tote.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #220 on: March 2, 2017, 04:53:28 pm »

What an magnificent building that was...a grain warehouse that stood on the corner of Strand Road and Regent Road....demolished in the late 60's
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #221 on: March 10, 2017, 09:28:04 am »
St Lawrences which was on Barlows lane L4.

One of my brothers got wed in there.

Is that a Marina estate & a Viva parked up?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:30:50 am by Medellin »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #222 on: March 10, 2017, 12:09:14 pm »
...Is that a Marina estate & a Viva parked up?

Yes, I'm guessing mid to late 70's, possibly even early 80's.

The Viva is the later model mk III without the distinctive hump on the side of the older HB, and that looks like an early Fiesta passing the lorry further down the street as below..

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2017, 08:08:22 am »
Made me laugh as i had completely forgotten ablout Flemings til i seen the shop in that foto.
I may have had a pair handed down,i'd have to ask one of me brothers.

One place i did frequent was Barnett Shieldhouse..the original sports shop was next door to this & i'm fucked if i knew how that fucker got all those boxes of trabs in his shop..literally every inch covered floor to ceiling.

Used to go in there a lot myself. One of the best pairs of footy boots I owned as a kid was a pair of Adidas Penarol which I bought from him.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #224 on: March 12, 2017, 10:01:09 am »
Yep spot on G, i was unfortunate to have once owned a similar Fiesta once,that feckin thing was the most unreliable car i have ever had & risked a broken foot every time i frustratingly kicked it. Got stranded about 5 miles from home in a pair of shorts & slippers after dropping off (my now mrs) home when i was courting her. The only good thing about it was its coulour red!

Aye Rob that was some shop,i honestly never knew how he got so much stock in such a small space. remember feeling boss after donning a pair of Adidas Kick from there  :D
Saved you the bus fare to town.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2017, 08:06:41 pm »
Yep spot on G, i was unfortunate to have once owned a similar Fiesta once,that feckin thing was the most unreliable car i have ever had & risked a broken foot every time i frustratingly kicked it. Got stranded about 5 miles from home in a pair of shorts & slippers after dropping off (my now mrs) home when i was courting her. The only good thing about it was its coulour red!

Aye Rob that was some shop,i honestly never knew how he got so much stock in such a small space. remember feeling boss after donning a pair of Adidas Kick from there  :D
Saved you the bus fare to town.

We moved from Walton to Kirkby in 69 when I was 3, 3 of my Dads sisters and my Nan all moved into streets between County Rd and City Rd, so we were always down there, so that was my shop of choice, my Ma got me my Hitachi kit from there. If I remember right, he always knew were everything was as well.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: March 13, 2017, 04:07:54 pm »
Dutch Farm. Bankfield house. Noblett house. All youth clubs in the Garston area. At least we had somewhere to go. Youth services decimated in the city.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #227 on: March 14, 2017, 10:38:21 am »
The Netley pub in Walton.

Edit: was a copyrighted foto.

:D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:43:50 am by Medellin »

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #228 on: March 14, 2017, 10:44:09 am »
Now that takes me back to the late 80s, when we used to do the County Road pub crawl.

Starting at the Black Horse, and finishing at the Netley or Oak. before going local by my mates in the Waverley or Granton, or little Solly.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #229 on: March 14, 2017, 10:56:27 am »
Now that takes me back to the late 80s, when we used to do the County Road pub crawl.

Starting at the Black Horse, and finishing at the Netley or Oak. before going local by my mates in the Waverley or Granton, or little Solly.

Haha nice one Richie.
I would have defo rubbed shoulders with you at some point having a bevvy as i'd be crawling the same route towards the Black Horse,for some reason we never hit the Glebe.
The Netley was always bouncing.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #230 on: March 14, 2017, 11:02:42 am »
From merseypub website..

"This down market one bar pub was very scruffy, with matching customers. Now closed"  :lmao

..and here's me thinkin i scrubbed up alright!
Not a million miles away to be fair.  ;D

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #231 on: March 14, 2017, 11:52:57 pm »
Bibbys warehouse....man alive that was one handsome building

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #232 on: March 15, 2017, 02:45:57 am »

What an magnificent building that was...a grain warehouse that stood on the corner of Strand Road and Regent Road....demolished in the late 60's
And that shunter engine is still on the Dock Road somewhere....... it's now a static display and museum piece... :-)
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #233 on: March 15, 2017, 09:18:29 am »
And that shunter engine is still on the Dock Road somewhere....... it's now a static display and museum piece... :-)

Not sure that can be the same shunter as it seems that MDHB Hudswell Clarke No 36...

...was initially partially restored at Embsay and Bolton Abbey railway but has been completed and is now up and running at Dales Diesel group.

They're appealing for the builders badge that should be on the front which over the years since seems to have been misplaced.

I'll get my Anorak and thermos flask... ;)
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #234 on: March 18, 2017, 03:25:34 pm »
Walton bus depot.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #235 on: March 18, 2017, 03:43:31 pm »
Before my time but there was a windmill behind the Springy in Walton.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #236 on: March 18, 2017, 04:21:23 pm »
Queens drive swimming baths.

Swim til you were fucked & then jump off the balcony & get lashed out.  ;D

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #237 on: March 21, 2017, 05:18:35 pm »
Queens drive swimming baths.

Swim til you were fucked & then jump off the balcony & get lashed out.  ;D

Was that before the flyover was built?

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2017, 06:06:24 pm »
Was that before the flyover was built?

I think that foto was taken in '67 & the flyover was completed in '69.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #239 on: March 23, 2017, 08:43:45 am »
Went past it this morning..razed,a pile of bricks,sad.