Author Topic: Liverpool City Centre and Anfield - a drinking guide for OOT's and away fans  (Read 78489 times)

Offline Peter_Evo

• King of the Vegetables (though not salads).
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the Sun. Sullies the memories of the 96
Just sent this to www.fanzone.co.uk  Comments appreciated

Ok, let’s assume a Saturday game which doesn’t happen very often these days actually.  If you’re a first-timer, an irregular LFC fan or an away supporter then try a two night stay in Liverpool City Centre.  There are a number of B&B’s and budget hotels in the City Centre so you shouldn’t have to pay much more than £30 per night per person for something decent.  

Formula One, The Feathers and The Lord Nelson are at the lower end of the scale both in quality and cost.  For maybe about £27 per night per person you should be able to get into The Gladstone.  The Gladstone was once a very fine hotel and is actually still not too bad if you’re not looking for the lap of luxury but is in urgent need of renovation.  Best thing about The Gladstone though apart from its fine late night bar is the buffet breakfast.  

The Campanile is a Travel Lodge type thingy and will probably set you back not much more than £25 per person per night.  

If you really want to push the boat out you could stay at somewhere like The Crowne Plaza, Moat House, Holiday Inn or, if you’ve won the lottery, The Adelphi.  Be prepared to pay between £50 and £100 per person per night, although if you book well in advance, which you should do really as all the hotels are chocker every weekend, you might be able to get a good deal.

Best if you get to wherever you’re staying at about mid-afternoon as ideally you should take a walk around The Albert Dock for an hour or so and take in such attractions as The Beatles Museum before hitting the town at around about 5 o’clock.  

For the culture vultures try one of Liverpool’s fine concert halls or theatres such as The Philharmonic Hall, The Neptune, The Everyman, The Playhouse, The Royal Court or best of all The Empire.  The Empire has undergone major renovation over the past couple of years and as an avid theatregoer I can tell you that it is now the equal of any of London’s West End theatres.  You should be able to pick up tickets for most shows at any of the theatres on the day which would then give you the option of changing your mind but if you really wanted to see a top production at The Empire it would be advisable to book in advance.  Most shows end at around 10 pm so still giving you four hours or so to explore the nightlife and there’s plenty of it!  

If you just fancy a bit of a pub/club crawl though start at The Beehive in Mount Pleasant at about 5 o’clock.  The Beehive has one of the best jukeboxes you’ll ever see and is laden with classics from every era – proper vinyl singles too!  Try Riley’s virtually next door before moving on the very cheap ale at the Punch and Judy behind Lime Street station.  

Historical pubs, The Vines on Lime Street known universally as The Big House and The Philharmonic near The Philharmonic Hall are well worth a visit.  

Whether or not you do go to the theatre try the brilliant theatre pub of Ma Egerton’s behind The Empire.  Known locally as Ma Edgie’s it is a very friendly place run by Marie and her army of staff.  Next stop would be Wetherspoon’s in Great Charlotte Street before taking a walk across the road to The Blob Shop – a good old-fashioned wine lodge, once again selling very cheap ale and a very potent brew called a Blob. For those of you that don’t know, a Blob is a heady mixture of Yates’ Australian White Wine (itself a mixture of wine, brandy and spices) sugar (or honey if you ask nicely for it) boiling hot water and a slice of lemon.  Sip the mixture very gently while it’s hot and feel it take effect as the drink cools down.  I tell you, it is absolutely gorgeous and you’ll certainly want more than one.  Be prepared though once you step out in the fresh air to feel as if you’ve been hit by a cricket bat!  I was an avid devotee of Blob for many years ‘til the medical profession cut off that avenue of heavenly pleasure.

If you want to keep up the cheap ale mode then Slater Street is the place for you but be careful – it can get very nasty up there sometimes, especially for those who don’t know the city.  The same could be said for Hardman Street so I wouldn’t really recommend it.  

A more “trendy” Yates’ can be found in Concert Square along with a lot of other themed pubs such as Edward’s and The Walkabout.  Derby Square will provide similar fare such as The Rat and Parrott.  

Metal heads wanting ear-blasting, head-banging rock should visit The Krazy House in Wood Street.  

My own personal recommendation would be to stick to the more touristy but infinitely safer Mathew Street.  Mathew Street is no more than about 70 yards long but houses an incredible number of pubs and clubs such as The Grapes, The White Star, Baty’s, Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, The Cavern Club, The Cavern Pub, The Lennon Bar, Boogie Nights, Labinsky’s, The Tube, Flares and my own personal favourite – the world’s greatest Irish bar and authentic at that, Flanagan’s Apple.  

If you’re anything like me you’ll want to mix the night up a little by spending an hour or so in one of the city’s many lap dancing bars.  Sugar and Angels are very good but my season ticket is for Dreamers in Old Hall Street. A ten spot will get you into Dreamers plus a “free” dance.  Each dance after that will cost you just a flim.  The downside is the ale – wildly expensive bottled lager being virtually the only thing on offer.  Worth spending an hour and twenty quid or so in there though.  

If you’re not sure where you’re going then best to flag down a Fast Black.  Three squid or so should pretty much get you to anywhere in town point A – B and is a far safer option than walking around a strange city late at night asking for directions

Okay, you’re legless and you want a big, fat scran.  There are loads of eating places featuring cuisine from all over the globe but if it’s chippy fare you want then look no further than the Lobster Pot opposite Central Station.  This is, without a shadow of a doubt the finest chippy in the world – the whole wide world.

Matchday: If it’s an early kick off then aim to get to Anfield for drinky poos about two hours before the game.  Most pubs will be open at 11 o’clock and you might even get some, with a knock on the window or side door, that will let you in at 10 o’clock.  For a three or four o’clock kick off then starting your Anfield drinking day at high noon will suffice.  

Right, where to go.  The Arkles is the nearest pub to the away supporters end and has been established as the away supporters pub for many years.  However, my advice is to stay away as an increasing level of violence in there means that it is not always safe.  Best sticking to the many pubs on Walton Breck Road - the road the Kop is on.  There are no pubs that don’t allow away supporters in.  The likes of The Park, Sam Dodds and The Albert might be great pre-match sing-songy pubs (if matches were played in the alehouse we’d win the League every season) but they are just absolutely far too chocker.  The Sandon is a far roomier pub and is the best option if you want to drink up that end of Walton Breck Road near to the ground.  My advice though is to head for The Stanley (DEFINITELY NOT to be confused with The Stanley half –a-mile away near Goodison Park – that is a big blue house) by the traffic lights on the junction of Walton Breck Road and Sleepers Hill.  The Stanley too gets packed but will allow standing outside.  There are sometimes more people outside than inside!  There are plenty of buses that will get you to Anfield from the City Centre and the train from Central will take you to either Kirkdale or Sandhills although it is a bit of a hike to the ground from those stations.  Best if there a few of you to jump in a Fast Black.  Shouldn’t be much more than a flim so a squid or so each for five of you would be a cheaper option anyway than the bus or train.

Post-match you should definitely head for The Albert.  Like every other pub it will be absolutely rammed for about an hour after the game but it is worth getting pushed, shoved and ale spilt over you for an hour to sample the unique Albert atmosphere.  Please though do be careful to keep a constant eye on your wallet, purse, handbag etc and belongings as, just like any other crowded place, especially pubs, pickpockets abound.  Give it another hour or so after that and head back down to The Stanley.  Try a little “quietener” in The Salisbury (known as The Little Solly) on the way down.  You can be sure when you get to The Stanley that singing and carousing will still be going on.  An hour in there and you will be well up for returning to town to repeat the previous night’s drinkfest.  If the match is played on a Sunday though I wouldn’t really bother drinking in town as it is very quiet on a Sunday night and not really worth it.

Forget the stereotypical “rob the eyes outta the back of yer ‘ead and come back and spit in the holes”, “I’ve come to Liverpool to visit my hubcaps” and “calm down calm down” image of Liverpool and it’s people.  Liverpool is a very friendly city.  Like anywhere else in the world though, especially in major cities, we do have our share of loonballs.  If you go round giving it the large one saying “calm down calm down”, “okay wack” or “alright der kidda la” then expect (‘cos you will get one) a slap.  Respect our city, our people and our culture and that respect will be more than reciprocated.  Let your watchword be – TO BE SAFE BE CAREFUL.

Should you require further information please e-mail me at peterevo75@hotmail.com, visit my website www.oneboyandhiskop.co.uk or go on to the message boards on any of the following sites, www.lfc.tv.net, www.ynwa.co.uk, www.redandwhitekop.co.uk, www.raotl.co.uk.  Registration will be required to post on those sites but well worth it I do assure you.

Hope all that helps.

Peter Etherington (known as Evo (NOT EEVO) to my friends so you can call me Evo).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2003, 10:52:09 am by Peter_Evo »
96 Liverpool fans lost their lives at Hillsborough. Thousands more were deeply affected. The Sun said Liverpool fans robbed their own dead and urinated on policemen and other fans doing their best to save them. The Sun said Liverpool fans were to blame for causing the crush by turning up ticketless and drunk. The Sun told lies. DON'T BUY THE SUN!

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Good, you missed the Globe off yer list to keep it nice and quiet.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
Ahhh, makes me feel homseick Evo... :'(

Great post though mate.  :wave

Offline Curly Tom

• Has no life.
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Anfield Shrine
Nice one Evo, just e-mailed that to me dad.

Btw, strip clubs..... X in the City is NUS in free. lolol We'll be going soon.  ;D

"I lived my dream today, I lived it yesterday, and I'll be living yours tomorrow, anything else to say?"

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Lucky you have ID, they'd never believe you were old enough otherwise  :P
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Curly Tom

• Has no life.
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Anfield Shrine
 :P

"I lived my dream today, I lived it yesterday, and I'll be living yours tomorrow, anything else to say?"

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
one comment, www.redandwhitekop.co.uk doesnt work anymore ;)

Offline Redordead

• Legacy Fan
  • Rarely visits North Korea these days
Quality (as ever!)
Houses smell of mushy peas, cat piss, dope and (in the more extreme cases in West Yorks) ammunition.  Wives look like scarred pitbull terriers.  Children are feral, resembling hungry monkeys.  Bloke wears vests a lot.  Tracksuit bottoms.  Slippers.  Few tattoos.  Wishes he'd joined the army, pretends he was a Para.  Spends too much time wanking...

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
Nice one Evo, got a thirst just reading about it. :P

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
This could be made into a football visitors guide to the City of Liverpool.
Have a word with the council, see if they will back the project.
If it works I'm sure a lot of us would contribute top such a worthy tomb.

Jukey in the Jakaranda is always woth a mention as is the cheap beer early friday evenings.
Beer and bottles from a pound a go, helps the local ladies look a bit better as the night progresses.
Slater street must be worth a mention now a famous footballer has been shot in the arse.
My missus is from Speke and I'm from Woolton, so any help needed with people landing at John Lennon will be forwarded.

People flying into Liverpool could always visit strawberry fields on their way to town and I know the beaconsfield road, Woolton area very well.
To get to Strawb' you have to travel along Menlove Avenue where JL lived.

Personal fabourite pub crawl would take in Bold Street and Hardman street, starting at the top for obvious reasons.

Warnings should be given to trippers about the prices of ale on the Matthew street run.

Giz a bell if you wanna bit of help
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Roddysul

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
Nice one Evo. Bang on time for me mate, giving my two STs for the Leeds game to a nurse who treated our Emma in Addenbrookes.  Cheers
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline hampsy

• Kopite
Public Transport Bloke:

' Good, you missed the Globe off yer list to keep it nice and quiet. '

Yeah Jon, then the Cains won't run dry...  ;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 07:21:22 pm by hampsy »

Offline J-PH

• I wanna take you to a Gay Bar, Gay Bar.
  • Legacy Fan
  • www.spiritofshankly.com
Brilliant descriptions of the city even if you do make out Flanagan’s Apple to be half decent  :P

Offline porttroop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
Evo

No Corry in Linacre Lane  ????????

Jackie M ;D
Shove your flag.

Offline El mooro

• Compo of the Opera
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "A Bastion of Invincibility"
I'd also mention "The Cabbage Hall" for a good relaxed prematch beer.

Always seem to be a few away fans milling about, and I've never seen any trouble.

mooro
Daft Little Ground, Silly Game, Eff Off!

Offline Peter_Evo

• King of the Vegetables (though not salads).
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the Sun. Sullies the memories of the 96
Jackie M: was only describing City Centre.  Now just wait til I move on to Bootle pubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure whether you knew Jimmy Musker, twin is John, who lived in Fernhill Road but he passed away in the summer.  Book 3 will be dedicated to him.

C ya soon mate.

Evo.
96 Liverpool fans lost their lives at Hillsborough. Thousands more were deeply affected. The Sun said Liverpool fans robbed their own dead and urinated on policemen and other fans doing their best to save them. The Sun said Liverpool fans were to blame for causing the crush by turning up ticketless and drunk. The Sun told lies. DON'T BUY THE SUN!

Offline IrishRed

• Driven but can't drive...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
another good thread

:)
LFC SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON THE 15TH APRIL, NOT THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR OR ANY OTHER YEAR

Justice

Offline alllan

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Evo

No Corry in Linacre Lane  ????????

Jackie M ;D

Sorry to bring this up, only just noticed it.

My dad used to play football for the corry in the 80's. Used to take me there every saturday. Have good memories of there. I believe its all gone downhill now though :( What years did you used to drink there?
"Luis Garcia was on to it in a flash. The striker still had 40 yards to goal, but anyone who saw Liverpool beating Juventus last season knew what would happen next."

Offline Ashfordian

• Softlad
  • Legacy Fan
 :wellin

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
Being honest, even just looking on here, people keep on bringing/bumping old posts and threads up, but havn;t seen this and The Stanley, your avin a fuckin laugh.
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
The two things I always do when I'm back home. Flanagans and the Lobster Pot  :lickin
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline daz226

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Liverpool is our Religeon Anfield is our church
Great read that Evo ..... Flanagans is a great pub and downstairs the irish music is superb...

Quality   now hurry up getting that next book out

Daz
"Mind you i've been here during the bad times too. One year we came second" Bob Paisley

Offline Bobby Fury

• Fountain of Musical Knowledge
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Formula One, The Feathers and The Lord Nelson are at the lower end of the scale both in quality and cost.  For maybe about £27 per night per person you should be able to get into The Gladstone.  

Peter,

I know this was orginally written a few years ago but The Feathers costs me a bit more than 50 GBP per night for a single.  I stayed there in April 2004, March 2005 and I'll be staying there again this March.
LFC - It's what's happening!!!

Offline GarryLFC

• Anny Roader
  • He came from Sunny Spain, to make us great again..
Yes mate, quite a sound guide. I  might cut and paste it for a few of my mates who comeover from the country where I used to live, when Im not here.

One minor point though:

"If the match is played on a Sunday though I wouldn’t really bother drinking in town as it is very quiet on a Sunday night and not really worth it."

I reckon that Sunday is one of the best days out here, if you start bevieing at about 5 o clock, down James street area, its spot on. Good live music on in Coopers, the Liverpool and especially the First National. After that slope off to the Cavern for more bands and then into Flares for the last couple of hours. Also the Sunday crowd is a little bit older and probably a bit more friendly and laid back.

Apart from that mate, a spot on assessment of our fine city. Especially the pre/post match alehouse description.

Nice one.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Mascherano......

Offline Carra23

• Legacy Fan

............but if you really wanted to see a top production at The Empire it would be advisable to book in advance.  Most shows end at around 10 pm so still giving you four hours or so to explore the nightlife and there’s plenty of it! 

Got a good contact within the Empire and tickets come very easily.
Sent from my laptop using my fingers to type

Offline Old-Scallywag

• Legacy Fan
  • un hincha de Liverpool
Being honest, even just looking on here, people keep on bringing/bumping old posts and threads up, but havn;t seen this and The Stanley, your avin a fuckin laugh.

I was thinking that myself. Its more of an old school no colours pub. Although I've seen the odd away fan in there I've also seen plenty of faces from the old days.  I especially wouldn't advise any Mancs to go in there , then again maybe I would  ;)
Though I know I’ll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I’ll often stop and think about them

Offline the invisible man

• ( )
  • Legacy Fan
  • who am I?
 :wave

Thanks for the info Evo, I'm coming over from Australia later this year, so I'll look up some of these places...

TIM... ::)  8)
t.i.m...

Offline scoobs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
No mention of The Aachen on Mount Pleasant? They do a good breakfast and just a short walk to The Beehive. If you want some place to stay thats cheap, nasty and dodgy (no offence anyone) and you haven't booked in advance, try The Jamaican House on Upper Parliament Street, well I think thats the name of it anyway. After the Spurs game last season we were down Matthew Street, totally pissed, missed the last train back to Cardiff, no accomadation booked, nothing available in city centre so just headed off to Concert Square for drinking until 3 in the morning. Crashed outside Lime Street station, with my scarf as a pillow, until about 5am then just couldn't take the fucken cold any longer, thought I was going to die of hypothermia. So we flagged down a taxi driver and what do you know, reckons you'd get a room at this place, said its a bit dodgy. The only thing that looked dodgy was 3 blokes showing up half 5 in the morning looking for a room, that ended up only having 2 beds, needless to say I crashed, or defrosted, on the floor. Right so we catch the train the next day arrive at Cardiff Central after Man Utd/Newcastle FA Cup semi had just finished and find myself greeted with about a half a litre of Mancunian saliva deposited on me and a punch to the side of the head. Nice lads those Mancs. Anyway, you desperate for accomodation then there this place on Upper Parliamnet Street, it could be a crack house for all I know. if there were beds available on a matchday then theres probably something wrong, so I'm sure the locals will fill us in on, but when you're freezing to death you can't be to fussy.
Oh and those 2 young ladies who promised a couch to sleep on before ditching us in Concert Square, shame on you!

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
The last time i remember been in the arkles  if memory serve's me right  , was v Ipswich when we won 5-0  {anelka and gary Mac's last game ? last game off the season i think , bad memory  i have }. And even though it was full off away fan's it was a great pre-match start to the day.
Going over for spur's this week-end but will surley go to the sandon , as i do every Time i go over , just tradition i suppose.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Did there not use to be a list on this site  off all the pub's and hotels ?

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Game V SPUR'S this weekend is a present from  the other half  , just wondering about the hotel she has booked -=Radisson Hotel, City Centre ????
Only regret is no lapping dancing this weekend  ?????????

peter-evo ,  is it at the shankly statue  , that u sell your books ?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 09:38:09 am by rocco »

Offline GibletII

• Anny Roader
  • Fug Off Luton
Radisson...top notch.

Evo, are you sure you can get rooms at the rates you've stated on a match day?

Offline sunilo

• Anny Roader
  • He who expects nothing... is never disappointed
Cheers going to Anfield on Saturday

Offline Jim Price

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Radisson...top notch.

Evo, are you sure you can get rooms at the rates you've stated on a match day?
What is he, tourist information? He wrote it more than 2 years ago as well.