Author Topic: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel  (Read 100810 times)

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel
« Reply #280 on: March 1, 2012, 09:00:47 pm »
Ahh, that's alright then. This film gets them firmly out of the idea they are part of the same universe.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #282 on: March 2, 2012, 02:41:42 am »
I assumed he was an exaggerated Steve Jobs.

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #283 on: March 2, 2012, 03:25:22 am »
Great to see a thread about this one - really looking forward to it

"Nothing good since Gladiator" really? thought Kingdom of Heaven was excellent.

From the TED clip-Any of you science/ math guys able to explain "M" theory in street terms? Looked on wiki - multiple dimensions stuff - does it mean the succesful application of such would enable faster than light travel, in theory?
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #284 on: March 2, 2012, 01:47:17 pm »
Ahh, that's alright then. This film gets them firmly out of the idea they are part of the same universe.

Not necessarily. The events of AvP 2 take place in 2004, and the TED talk takes place in 2023. Charles Bishop Weyland, who the CEO of Weyland Industries in AvP, was killed at the end of AvP, so it's entirely plausible that Peter Weyland (Guy Pearce) is his son or relative and took over afterwards.

Also according to Ridley Scott, Prometheus will actually take place in 2085, so another 6 decades after the TED talk. That entire talk could have been just a prelude to the technological developments that will lead in to the events in the movie.

Edit: In fact yes, Michael Fassbender will play an android, which Peter Weyland talks about almost having the technology to perfect in 2023.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2012, 01:56:42 pm by Redcap »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #285 on: March 2, 2012, 01:53:03 pm »
Great to see a thread about this one - really looking forward to it

"Nothing good since Gladiator" really? thought Kingdom of Heaven was excellent.

From the TED clip-Any of you science/ math guys able to explain "M" theory in street terms? Looked on wiki - multiple dimensions stuff - does it mean the succesful application of such would enable faster than light travel, in theory?

M Theory is a variation of String Theory. Best book to get (IMO) is 'Hyperspace' by Michio Kaku.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hyperspace-Scientific-Parallel-Universes-Dimension/dp/0192861891/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330696372&sr=8-1
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #286 on: March 2, 2012, 01:54:13 pm »
Not necessarily. The events of AvP 2 take place in 2004, and the TED talk takes place in 2023. Charles Bishop Weyland, who the CEO of Weyland Industries in AvP, was killed at the end of AvP, so it's entirely plausible that Peter Weyland (Guy Pearce) is his son or relative and took over afterwards.

Also according to Ridley Scott, Prometheus will actually take place in 2085, so another 6 decades after the TED talk. That entire talk could have been just a prelude to the technological developments that will lead in to the events in the movie.

Also - AvP was in the middle of the Arctic and could have been hushed up. The town also could have been hushed up - both as bad accidents. There is no reason that mankind HAD to know what had happened in either scenerio as a mass outbreak didn't occur.

Also - agree with the build up. But I think I'd take it a step further - and given the scope of Ridley Scott's comprehension in films (He's my favourite director my a country mile and then some) - I can see him doing decade-based short TED films advancing each time - thus explaining the concepts and background so the film doesn't have to waste time having to do it. So several of these releases up to the film.. We shall see!
« Last Edit: March 2, 2012, 01:56:16 pm by Andy @ Allerton »

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #287 on: March 2, 2012, 02:28:29 pm »
AVP has nothing at all to do with Scotts Alien universe, in fact I would go so far as to guess that only the original will have anything to do with Prometheus. One of the reasons Scott decided to come back to it was how he felt that the original had been so diluted by the sequels and finally bastardised by AVP, which I think he absolutely hates. So dont bother trying to put them in the same box in any way, Prometheus is the start of the Alein story, not AVP, forget AVP.

AVP, despite the billing are very much Predator films really, Requiem is nothing short of a homage to the first Pred and Camerons Aliens, really is like two films mashed together. I like them all to be honest, to varying degrees and for different reasons, because I like that universe, but Alien is still the benchmark in terms of story and design. There isnt any real reason why all three strands cant exist, AVP, Predator (after being rebooted sort of with Predators) and Aliens, it happens in comics all the time, different universes, so I would be surprised if Fox didnt go that way because of the money these 'franchises' generate, even a second rate sequel still rakes it in, its not like they care about quality, only money.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #288 on: March 2, 2012, 02:54:20 pm »
AVP has nothing at all to do with Scotts Alien universe, in fact I would go so far as to guess that only the original will have anything to do with Prometheus. One of the reasons Scott decided to come back to it was how he felt that the original had been so diluted by the sequels and finally bastardised by AVP, which I think he absolutely hates. So dont bother trying to put them in the same box in any way, Prometheus is the start of the Alein story, not AVP, forget AVP.

AVP, despite the billing are very much Predator films really, Requiem is nothing short of a homage to the first Pred and Camerons Aliens, really is like two films mashed together. I like them all to be honest, to varying degrees and for different reasons, because I like that universe, but Alien is still the benchmark in terms of story and design. There isnt any real reason why all three strands cant exist, AVP, Predator (after being rebooted sort of with Predators) and Aliens, it happens in comics all the time, different universes, so I would be surprised if Fox didnt go that way because of the money these 'franchises' generate, even a second rate sequel still rakes it in, its not like they care about quality, only money.

Agree with all that. But if you wanted to mash them into the same Universe then you could.

Alien was way and above the best one. It was a horror film. Aliens was an action film in that Universe. I don't know what the hell Alien 3 was and Resurrection although a good idea was a bit pants. AvP was much better than I thought it would be and AvP:Requim was entertaining (And something like Aliens)

Good thing about this franchise is you couldn't accuse it of being 'samey' :D

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel
« Reply #289 on: March 2, 2012, 05:12:53 pm »
I imagine Scott doesn't give a toss about creating continuity between the AVP's and Prometheus.

It's probably better for everyone if we just pretend that the AVP films didn't happen.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2012, 05:14:39 pm by Rusty Oysterburger »
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: March 2, 2012, 05:13:33 pm »

It's probably better for everyone if we just pretend if the AVP films didn't happen.
I certainly wish I could forget them.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: March 2, 2012, 05:14:12 pm »
Forget what?

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #292 on: March 2, 2012, 05:33:47 pm »
I imagine Scott doesn't give a toss about creating continuity between the AVP's and Prometheus.

It's probably better for everyone if we just pretend that the AVP films didn't happen.

I thought they were alright myself. Bit cheesy and contrived. But fun nonetheless.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: March 2, 2012, 05:40:27 pm »
I thought they were alright myself. Bit cheesy and contrived. But fun nonetheless.
I thought the first had too much human, not enough Aliens and Predators. I know the main woman was the viewers POV, it just didn't work for me. I thought the second was all around awful.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: March 2, 2012, 05:52:30 pm »
First AVP was alright, certainly watchable. But the second is just appalling, I've wiped almost all of it from my memory, one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: March 2, 2012, 06:08:15 pm »
I thought the first AVP was terrible. Cheap, hacky and just boring. There is no charm, wit or originality.
It's also has terribly directed action scenes - everything is too dark, poorly shot and confusing.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: March 2, 2012, 06:57:14 pm »
I thought the first AVP was terrible. Cheap, hacky and just boring. There is no charm, wit or originality.
It's also has terribly directed action scenes - everything is too dark, poorly shot and confusing.

Have you seen Requiem?
Because if you think things were too dark in the first film, you'll be amazed how much worse they managed to make it in the second one.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #297 on: March 2, 2012, 06:59:28 pm »
Have you seen Requiem?
Because if you think things were too dark in the first film, you'll be amazed how much worse they managed to make it in the second one.

To be fair by then they were just doing 'Aliens' outside and in a town.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #298 on: March 2, 2012, 07:06:38 pm »
The first AVP had some good ideas, it was poorly written and executed as well.

The second one was ok, I enjoyed it, but they went too far in the homage to the comics, the predalien was a fucking abomination and never a storyline I cared for. Had they ditched the predalien and set AVP2 in the future on another planet, same essential story, it would of worked very well, as that is essentially the comic on which it was based and what the first film should have been. Fucking accountants though, no set it on earth it will be cheaper to film, c*nts.

2 is certainly better than 1 in a few respects, they went for a Ripley clone in Ailsworth, which didnt exactly work, but it was a good idea, they got the sound effects for the Aliens dead on the same as from Aliens, same Horner music as well, the Alien section of the film was Aliens as well, running about under red lights in heavy rain jumping in and out of APC's. Then they did the same sorts of things for the Predator bits, little bits of dialogue the same and what not, pissed myself when he shouts 'get to the chopper' Its funny because I liked those aspects about AVP2, that they did all those sorts of things, but its as I said it makes it like two films smashed together, rather than a single story on its own, so ultimately it doesnt work.

Finchers D-cut of Alien3 is well worth watching if you havent seen it, 10 times the film that the originally released cut is, its a totally different film in fact, Alien3 is very underrated, it is brilliant and a total revelation if all you have ever seen is the theatrical cut. It also suffered because of the weight of expectations, everyone expected it to be bigger and louder, more guns and explosions than Cameron's Aliens, which it wasnt it went back to the dirty claustrophobic feel of Alien, Scott is Finchers role model not that whore Cameron.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: March 2, 2012, 08:06:44 pm »
Big fan of Fincher's cut of Alien 3 as well, while it does still have a few problems (I hate the perfunctory offing of Hicks and Newt), it's remarkably better than the theatrical version and no way near as bad as everyone makes out. I love all the brilliant British character actors in it as well, they really add something to the atmosphere.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: March 2, 2012, 08:41:52 pm »
I always liked Alien 3, I've not seen this other cut though, have to have a gander for it.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #301 on: March 3, 2012, 11:05:09 am »
and what is he working on after Prometheus? Blade Runner? Holy cow...

Oh God (and theres another film I could never get into. Always turned it off after half hour). Please Hollywood. Take a year off. Enough of the remakes. Go and chill on a beach somewhere and come back refreshed. We have enough things to keep us entertained for a year. Football, Old classic films, TV, Computers etc (though Alrnis, if I like the remake!).
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #302 on: March 3, 2012, 11:06:15 am »
Big fan of Fincher's cut of Alien 3...
Owww, where would I find this?
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #303 on: March 3, 2012, 06:00:12 pm »
dont even expect much continuity with Alien let alone AVP...

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #304 on: March 3, 2012, 06:32:53 pm »
Owww, where would I find this?
It's part of the Quadrilogy/Anthology collections (DVD and Bluray). Note that it isn't a Director's Cut by Fincher. It is an assembly cut put together by other people at Fox. It is a better representation of what Fincher was originally going for though.

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #305 on: March 3, 2012, 06:40:12 pm »
It's part of the Quadrilogy/Anthology collections (DVD and Bluray). Note that it isn't a Director's Cut by Fincher. It is an assembly cut put together by other people at Fox. It is a better representation of what Fincher was originally going for though.
Just read that, Fincher still wanted nothing to do with it, but pretty sure it was/has been billed as the directors cut, lying marketing bastards. There is another version, a 2010 dvd/bluray version which is better quality because they redid the ADR, which hadnt been done on the original quadrilogy version.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #306 on: March 4, 2012, 09:07:38 pm »
Ahhh...shall have a snoop around ta ;)

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: March 4, 2012, 09:52:01 pm »
Probably the most anticipated film of 2012 for me.

Can't be a let down with the director, the mighty Ridley Scott, though there are talks of a remake of Bladerunner which i will be well upset about.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #308 on: March 5, 2012, 12:55:14 am »
Sounds like there'll be numerous cuts of this film too.  :-\

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #309 on: March 5, 2012, 02:15:54 am »
Sounds like there'll be numerous cuts of this film too.  :-\
Not surprising given its in 3D as well, and after what happened with Camerons Aliens, plus knowing what Scott is like at times, might wait until his version gets released on dvd like Kingdom of Heaven, that film got shagged by the theatrical edit, the directors cut is an amazing film the other one is fucking shite.

Offline DuncMcD

• Main Stander
« Reply #310 on: March 5, 2012, 10:20:19 am »

Edit: In fact yes, Michael Fassbender will .... [CLIPPED]

Thanks for revealing that, hope you haven't spoiled the film for me.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #311 on: March 5, 2012, 10:25:56 am »
Thanks for revealing that, hope you haven't spoiled the film for me.

No I haven't. This is from pre-release material distributed by the studio, so I certainly don't think it'll be a twist.

Avert your eyes if you're especially sensitive, but here's some more material from the Alien vs. Predator wiki (basically the wikia for both Alien and Predator movies), including a couple of quotes from Fassbender and one of the writers.

"Michael Fassbender as David, an android from Weyland-Yutani corp. Lindelof described his character as an inspiration from Blade Runner, emphasizing on the relationships between androids and human beings: "What does the movie look like from the robot's point of view? If you were to ask him, 'What do you think about all of this? What's going on? What do you think about these humans who are around you?.' Wouldn't it be cool if we found a way for that robot to answer those questions. Fassbender shared that "there are a lot of interesting quirks and niches to him." The actor did not look to Alien for inspiration, but watched Blade Runner and looked towards Olympic diver Greg Louganis, "Louganis was my first inspiration. I figured that I'd sort of base my physicality roughly around him, and then it kind of went from there. ""

I wonder if the merger with Yutani will be of any import. In that TED clip it's still the Weyland Corporation, so the merger hadn't yet taken place.

Offline DuncMcD

• Main Stander
« Reply #312 on: March 5, 2012, 11:44:25 am »
No I haven't. This is from pre-release material distributed by the studio, so I certainly don't think it'll be a twist.

Avert your eyes if you're especially sensitive, but here's some more material from the Alien vs. Predator wiki (basically the wikia for both Alien and Predator movies), including a couple of quotes from Fassbender and one of the writers.

"Michael Fassbender as David, an android from Weyland-Yutani corp. Lindelof described his character as an inspiration from Blade Runner, emphasizing on the relationships between androids and human beings: "What does the movie look like from the robot's point of view? If you were to ask him, 'What do you think about all of this? What's going on? What do you think about these humans who are around you?.' Wouldn't it be cool if we found a way for that robot to answer those questions. Fassbender shared that "there are a lot of interesting quirks and niches to him." The actor did not look to Alien for inspiration, but watched Blade Runner and looked towards Olympic diver Greg Louganis, "Louganis was my first inspiration. I figured that I'd sort of base my physicality roughly around him, and then it kind of went from there. ""

I wonder if the merger with Yutani will be of any import. In that TED clip it's still the Weyland Corporation, so the merger hadn't yet taken place.

No worries, obvious that there would be an android in there somewhere. Just depends upon whether it's a big reveal (Ash) or a fact established early in the film (Bishop).

Not sensitive, just really looking forward to this! Not sure whether to lap up as much info as possible or avoid it all and go into the film cold.

Wait a minute, Greg Louganis was a synthetic???   ;)

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #313 on: March 5, 2012, 02:33:44 pm »
Not surprising given its in 3D as well, and after what happened with Camerons Aliens, plus knowing what Scott is like at times, might wait until his version gets released on dvd like Kingdom of Heaven, that film got shagged by the theatrical edit, the directors cut is an amazing film the other one is fucking shite.
Unfortunately on this occasion the debate over versions seems to hinge on whether or not the studio pushes for a 12A/PG-13 certificate. You'd think at this stage Ridley Scott wouldn't have to compromise for anyone but from his quotes regarding the issue he seems quite happy about it which concerns me a little re the integrity of this film altogether. Frankly I'd rather just see his version in the cinemas, wouldn't you?
« Last Edit: March 5, 2012, 02:35:30 pm by cornelius »

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #314 on: March 5, 2012, 03:12:25 pm »
Yeah would much rather see Scott's version. And why can't we have proper 18 certificate chillers like we had in the 80's? Answer is sadly, if you spend $150 million of someone else's money you need to market to 13-32 year olds.

Cannot wait to see the PG-13 version of Robocop, eh, that will be a treat.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #315 on: March 5, 2012, 03:57:08 pm »

Cannot wait to see the PG-13 version of Robocop, eh, that will be a treat.
Tell me their not remaking that, PLEASE.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #316 on: March 5, 2012, 04:00:00 pm »
Tell me their not remaking that, PLEASE.

Sorry man, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234721/

So far we know the director is Jose Padilha, Brasilian director of Elite Squad

Lots of rumours around casting right now.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: March 5, 2012, 04:31:08 pm »
Robocop remake was shelved ages ago, thankfully. It won't happen.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: March 5, 2012, 04:45:31 pm »
Robocop remake was shelved ages ago, thankfully. It won't happen.

They've just cast Joel Kinnaman, that cop bloke from the US version of the Killing, as Robocop, so I'd say it's happening.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: March 5, 2012, 05:48:48 pm »
They've just cast Joel Kinnaman, that cop bloke from the US version of the Killing, as Robocop, so I'd say it's happening.
Reported only today...

http://uk.omg.yahoo.com/news/kinnaman-robocop-161700154.html