Author Topic: LFC sign Mamadou Sakho  (Read 306978 times)

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC sign Mamadou Sakho
« Reply #1360 on: October 30, 2013, 02:50:20 pm »
In what world?

Enrique is not good enough for this system, he is not good enough in possession and all too often his brain turns off.

Glen is 10x more suited, to say priority lies there is completely ignorant to a massive weakness in our side (left back)

At left back we have two players who can do the job that Brendan wants, offensively and defensively. Johnson is the only player on the right we can say that about, and when he's out we suffer massively. We need another proper right back, not a converted centreback

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1361 on: October 30, 2013, 02:50:44 pm »
In what world?

Enrique is not good enough for this system, he is not good enough in possession and all too often his brain turns off.

Glen is 10x more suited, to say priority lies there is completely ignorant to a massive weakness in our side (left back)
Because Johnson gets injured a lot and we have had to be content with playing Wisdom and Kelly (who for me, nice guys as they are, are not up to standard) as well as Toure (who everyone would rather see as centre back) or Sterling (who's not a RB and fouls a lot when played there).

Wisdom, Kelly and Toure are CB's though isn't it? and Sterling is not a defender at all. At least at LB we have 2.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #1362 on: October 30, 2013, 03:13:13 pm »
Surely Ryan McLaughlin isn't too far off getting a squad position?

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #1363 on: October 30, 2013, 03:24:56 pm »
In what world?

Our best full back is Glen at right back but on the left we have better cover with both Ciss and Enrique
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 03:32:21 pm by rocco »

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1364 on: October 30, 2013, 03:37:48 pm »
Surely Ryan McLaughlin isn't too far off getting a squad position?

Thinking the same thing. Surely McLaughlin is good enough to at least deputize for Johnson at this point? I'm not having a go at Kelly, but he's not a right wing back, and I think the position would be perfect for Ryan. In our current setup, I would see Kelly's best position being wide in the back '3' of the 3-5-2.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #1365 on: October 30, 2013, 03:44:05 pm »
Thinking the same thing. Surely McLaughlin is good enough to at least deputize for Johnson at this point? I'm not having a go at Kelly, but he's not a right wing back, and I think the position would be perfect for Ryan. In our current setup, I would see Kelly's best position being wide in the back '3' of the 3-5-2.

To be fair to Kells, McLaughlin would he his replacement if injured since Wisdom had gone on loan. 

Was watching the 3-0 demolition of the Blue Shite at Anfield from 2011 and Kells was a monster that match,
should have bagged 2 goals of his own.

The lad needs a year at least to get his form back.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1366 on: October 30, 2013, 04:19:58 pm »
At left back we have two players who can do the job that Brendan wants, offensively and defensively. Johnson is the only player on the right we can say that about, and when he's out we suffer massively. We need another proper right back, not a converted centreback

McLaughlin? Surely this lad is ready to get his feet wet by now? Even as the ocassionally bench warmer? He's been getting rave reviews for ages and I still can't work out why Wisdom got his chance before him, apart from being big and strong.

Offline MrLil8

• not good enough
  • Kopite
  • Super Title: BANNED
« Reply #1367 on: October 30, 2013, 04:32:14 pm »
So we are talking about buying back-ups first? over getting genuine quality in?

Yes we are short in depth at RB, and with Enrique/Cissokho we have more depth on the left.

As it is now though, with the 3-1-4-2, I'd say Henderson is our "back up" for Glens role. With Sterling an option too.

I'd much rather bring in a quality left back/LWB first, in the Coentrao mould... then get in a right sided option. (Montoya)

EDIT: even forgot all about Kelly, still id rather Hendo in that role before him. Kelly still looks miles off, both on the pitch and in his head.

YNWA

Offline MrLil8

• not good enough
  • Kopite
« Reply #1368 on: October 30, 2013, 04:34:53 pm »
In terms of quality, you might be right, but in terms of squad depth, we probably need another right back more than another left back. Kelly still returning from injury, Wisdom gone to Derby. Moses/Henderson/Sterling can do a job there, but it takes them away from where they are most effective. Right back and central midfield are the two areas we could do with additions. If we get them, then we can go back to other positions, I think.

Matic, Montoya.

Then go all out for a top Left Back, Coentrao would be nice. Not that many available top LB's around at the minute though. (Shaw?)

Bring in another Cout type, someone flexible in most attacking roles. There are endless around the World at the minute who would be great here.
YNWA

Offline Captain Relief

• Gerrard Handler
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1369 on: October 30, 2013, 04:46:33 pm »

EDIT: even forgot all about Kelly, still id rather Hendo in that role before him. Kelly still looks miles off, both on the pitch and in his head.

What do you mean?
"It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."
—Bill Shankly about the 'This is Anfield' plaque

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1370 on: October 30, 2013, 04:51:01 pm »
Bring in another Cout type, someone flexible in most attacking roles. There are endless around the World at the minute who would be great here.

Suso?

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline MrLil8

• not good enough
  • Kopite
« Reply #1371 on: October 30, 2013, 04:52:25 pm »
What do you mean?

The injury, ACL is a very mentally challenging one. I've done, it, had it operated on and re-ruptured. At the minute I can run, kick a ball etc, but I couldn't play a match, or anything that had excessive physical force put on the knee.

It takes a lot mentally to get over, and looking at and watching Kelly I still see a little doubt in his head at times.
YNWA

Offline MrLil8

• not good enough
  • Kopite
« Reply #1372 on: October 30, 2013, 04:53:14 pm »
Suso?

I see him being deployed n CM in future. I think he's better suited playing deeper, probably in between a DM and a Coutinho.
YNWA

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1373 on: October 30, 2013, 04:55:21 pm »
So we are talking about buying back-ups first? over getting genuine quality in?

Yes we are short in depth at RB, and with Enrique/Cissokho we have more depth on the left.

As it is now though, with the 3-1-4-2, I'd say Henderson is our "back up" for Glens role. With Sterling an option too.

I'd much rather bring in a quality left back/LWB first, in the Coentrao mould... then get in a right sided option. (Montoya)

I certainly didn't say "back-ups" - I said "Additions". We need more depth, and if it's better than what we have, then great - but it has to be at least as good as what's already there, regardless of position. So for me, we have two left-backs who are at least equal to each other. Are there better out there? Sure. But you don't build a team on pick-and-mix unless you have the money to do so. We work to a budget constraint, so we have to build methodically, and that means going through each area continually, and strengthening it. Always looking at the weak spots first, not the strong ones. There are statistics that show that strengthening a weaker area has a more positive effect on results than strengthening an already strong area of the field. So we need to be looking at where we are short, rather than just picking up the strongest players available regardless of position. Because if we do that, then the weak areas will always remain weak.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline MrLil8

• not good enough
  • Kopite
« Reply #1374 on: October 30, 2013, 05:11:04 pm »
I certainly didn't say "back-ups" - I said "Additions". We need more depth, and if it's better than what we have, then great - but it has to be at least as good as what's already there, regardless of position. So for me, we have two left-backs who are at least equal to each other. Are there better out there? Sure. But you don't build a team on pick-and-mix unless you have the money to do so. We work to a budget constraint, so we have to build methodically, and that means going through each area continually, and strengthening it. Always looking at the weak spots first, not the strong ones. There are statistics that show that strengthening a weaker area has a more positive effect on results than strengthening an already strong area of the field. So we need to be looking at where we are short, rather than just picking up the strongest players available regardless of position. Because if we do that, then the weak areas will always remain weak.

Much of a muchness.

We do need more depth, agree with that, but looking into buying "an equal" Enrique/Cissokho, doesn't do anything but cater for injuries or tiredness. This a huge dent in Spurs purchases this summer, its all very equal and good for rotation throughout cups but that's it.

Glen, Hendo, Kelly - RB/RWB

Enrique, Cissokho - LB/LWB

Bring in a top LB, Enrique becomes your depth. Cissokho goes. That 100% prioritises over bringing in somebody to sit between Glen and Henderson for RB.

Its all down to individuals either way, and Rodgers is the one who knows the "weak areas".

No doubt its about adding quality, and depth. They go hand in hand anyway.
YNWA

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1375 on: October 30, 2013, 05:32:04 pm »
Much of a muchness.

We do need more depth, agree with that, but looking into buying "an equal" Enrique/Cissokho, doesn't do anything but cater for injuries or tiredness. This a huge dent in Spurs purchases this summer, its all very equal and good for rotation throughout cups but that's it.

Bring in a top LB, Enrique becomes your depth. Cissokho goes. That 100% prioritises over bringing in somebody to sit between Glen and Henderson for RB.

Its all down to individuals either way, and Rodgers is the one who knows the "weak areas".

I did say "at least as equal as" :D

Also, why have three left backs and only one right back starter? You have to build a squad as much as a first team, and if you can do that in one move rather than two, then all the better.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1376 on: October 30, 2013, 05:35:05 pm »
Much of a muchness.

Definitely true. That's what we've done well since January to aid in our boosted position. We've signed 4 or 5 players who instantly improved on our first XI while added good quality players to add to our depth. You always need the best of both worlds.

I still think we need a couple of wingbacks on each side. One at Glen's level and one to improve on left wing backs we've got. I still don't think Guilherme Siqueira will be out of BR's transfer plans if Benfica decide against taking up the option to buy.

We still need a quality CM and that's what I think will be Brendan's main aim come January. 

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #1377 on: October 30, 2013, 05:46:19 pm »
how are we talking about full backs in a mamadou thread?

anyway. i dont like the idea of buying substandard degen/kromkamp style fullbacks.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1378 on: October 30, 2013, 05:57:26 pm »
I don't know if this  has been posted yet but i'm posting it up again!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151945458844346

Nice one Mamadou!
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline Sally

• Desperately searching for a very, very, very, very, very small toaster! "I'm saying this now, if he (Christian Benteke) scores more than 16 goals for us next season i'm eating my cock." (Duly noted!)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Yellow Submarine
« Reply #1379 on: October 30, 2013, 11:19:31 pm »
His face and stare alone will make defenders chicken out of taking him on

Offline Yolanderyolando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1380 on: October 31, 2013, 07:10:32 am »
Wow typical massive over reaction to a new .player on rawk.

Agger is proven quality.

Sakho has been decent for a few games and is potentially very good.

Offline KP

• Nuts
  • Main Stander
« Reply #1381 on: October 31, 2013, 07:47:06 am »
I still think we need a couple of wingbacks on each side. One at Glen's level and one to improve on left wing backs we've got. I still don't think Guilherme Siqueira will be out of BR's transfer plans if Benfica decide against taking up the option to buy.

We still need a quality CM and that's what I think will be Brendan's main aim come January.

Agree with this. Johnson and Enrique always look fucked at the end of the season. Kelly isn't the type of fullback we need in this system, I can see him making the transition to CB over time. Montoya is out of contract in the summer, he'd be on my list of targets. Will provide good competition and backup now, and then when GJ leaves, he should step up and claim first choice. Cissokho isn't good enough for me and I would echo your thoughts on Siqueira who's really good. He's good enough to push Enrique out of the side all season for me, but from what I've seen of Aly the past few years and his time here so far, I don't see him doing the same.

I think we'll sign one defensive midfielder (Fernando is the one I've heard) and try to get the attacking player we failed to get in the summer.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1382 on: October 31, 2013, 08:05:45 am »
I think we'll sign one defensive midfielder (Fernando is the one I've heard) and try to get the attacking player we failed to get in the summer.

have we been linked mate? i am always impressed when i watch him for Porto and this deal would make a lot of sense on a free

Offline ryan125

• Kopite
« Reply #1383 on: October 31, 2013, 11:53:48 am »
While we're talking about fullbacks...I just can't understand why people seem to think that Johnson is so much better than Enrique. Not saying Enrique is one of our better players by any means, but links far better with the likes of Suarez then Johnson does. I think this is because he plays the ball much quicker than Johnson who often frustrates as he always wants 3+ touches on the ball. Enrique is frustrating in the exact opposite direction, as very often he plays it first time when the pass is not on. Personally I think we could do better than both of these, but as we have Cissokho as cover for LB now, you've got to provide decent cover for Johnson first, not sign yet another LB! Preferably someone who could push him out of the team, or at least give him some real competition. I could definitely see Rogers looking to strengthen RB in January.

Oh, and Sakho's amazing. A bit worried about him being too eager to go to ground, but his timing so far looks good. A little worried about us conceding a penalty against the Arse though....but we'll still score more.  ;D

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #1384 on: October 31, 2013, 12:01:41 pm »
While we're talking about fullbacks...I just can't understand why people seem to think that Johnson is so much better than Enrique.

Because he is lad.

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/26

Current overall contribution Glen Johnson rated our 4th best player - Jose Enrique 14th

Offline ryan125

• Kopite
« Reply #1385 on: October 31, 2013, 12:12:39 pm »
Because he is lad.

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/26

Current overall contribution Glen Johnson rated our 4th best player - Jose Enrique 14th

Hey thanks for that! I did find that surprising. I guess I just have a pet peeve against players who slow the play down, but maybe tired Johnson from the end of last year is clouding my judgement!  ;)

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #1386 on: October 31, 2013, 12:23:08 pm »
In what world?

I am uncertain as to what you're trying to say. Very cryptic. I think you should steer clear of circumlocutions and be a bit more declarative.   :)
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1387 on: October 31, 2013, 01:36:12 pm »

A very anti-Purslovian argument. He thought that the best players needed to be collected, and the worst players needed to be kicked out, regardless of squad balance. It resulted in us having no LBs at the club except for a 16 year old with 20 minutes of playing experience. Ever since that summer, I'm instinctively suspicious of any argument that runs "not good enough" without reference to any squad context.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline MrLil8

• not good enough
  • Kopite
« Reply #1388 on: October 31, 2013, 02:17:44 pm »
I am uncertain as to what you're trying to say. Very cryptic. I think you should steer clear of circumlocutions and be a bit more declarative.   :)

Ey up clever clogs.

Jose Enrique isn't good enough.

;)
YNWA

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #1389 on: November 2, 2013, 09:44:33 pm »
What a fantastic defender we have here. Brilliant in both defence and bringing it out of the defence once we have it.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #1390 on: November 2, 2013, 09:48:02 pm »
Best player for us today. He has a way of looking like he doesn't know what he's doing and then pulls of the pass/tackle/interception/dribble perfectly and leaves you wonder how the hell it happened. If it happened a few times one could argue that it's luck, but not if it happens almost every single time. Boss player and strong as a fucking ox.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1391 on: November 2, 2013, 09:50:00 pm »
What a fantastic defender we have here. Brilliant in both defence and bringing it out of the defence once we have it.

can you run us through his thinking for their first goal.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1392 on: November 2, 2013, 09:57:41 pm »
can you run us through his thinking for their first goal.

He was closing down the forward with the ball and not allowing him to turn. If he's not there then that attacking is allowed to turn and run straight at us. It's not his job to track Sagna.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1393 on: November 2, 2013, 10:06:55 pm »
He was closing down the forward with the ball and not allowing him to turn. If he's not there then that attacking is allowed to turn and run straight at us. It's not his job to track Sagna.

so he saw arsenal had a player standing still.....the player your talking about that he closed down.
the ball was played into the wide area...that zone where the wingback is always going to leave a gap between the side cb and himself.

surely the side centre back is wary of this danger and that if you step forward and don't win the ball you leave a massive gap.

surely knowing all that your better off holding the line because you can cover if the ball is played wide.

surely if the player your talking about  cant turn and run into clear space because sakho would be holding a solid line if he gets the ball.

if he was one of my centre backs he would be pasted all over the dressing room wall for that.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #1394 on: November 2, 2013, 10:08:47 pm »
so he saw arsenal had a player standing still.....the player your talking about that he closed down.
the ball was played into the wide area...that zone where the wingback is always going to leave a gap between the side cb and himself.

surely the side centre back is wary of this danger and that if you step forward and don't win the ball you leave a massive gap.

surely knowing all that your better off holding the line because you can cover if the ball is played wide.

surely if the player your talking about  cant turn and run into clear space because sakho would be holding a solid line if he gets the ball.

if he was one of my centre backs he would be pasted all over the dressing room wall for that.

Looked good when he went to left back
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1395 on: November 2, 2013, 10:10:59 pm »
Looked good when he went to left back

he looks more solid as a left back.

as a centre back he looks like a nightmare.

to eager to close down and unaware he is leaving dangerous space .....I can see why alex got in ahead of him at psg

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1396 on: November 2, 2013, 10:28:04 pm »
.....I can see why alex got in ahead of him at psg
Much more to do with Thiago's influence by all accounts.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #1397 on: November 2, 2013, 10:30:55 pm »
G1 Jockey, you expect A LOT of a defender if you think he has been poor.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #1398 on: November 2, 2013, 10:32:39 pm »
He had a good game and I didn't think he was at all accountable for the first goal.

Offline sparrowred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1399 on: November 2, 2013, 10:32:44 pm »
Surely Sakho was expecting Cissokho to do something other than switch off, fail to appropriately track Sagna who ran a straight line from midfield into our box and then perhaps challenge his cross? Perhaps Sakho should share some blame, but it all began with Cissokho for me.