Author Topic: Trust  (Read 13302 times)

royhendo

Trust
« on: November 11, 2011, 10:40:28 am »
Reproduced from the most excellent www.theanfieldwrap.com where I'm permitted to spraff from time to time.

Get on the blogs as well as the podcasts homies and homettes. :)

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2011/11/trust/

---

“Trust in me, just in me
Shut your eyes and trust in me
You can sleep safe and sound
Knowing I am around.”

Kaa the Python – The Jungle Book

Trust.

Right now, that’s the word that rings around my head whenever I think about Liverpool football club. It’s all that’s missing. And it’s all that’s missing not just on the park, but in relation to everything about the club full stop at the minute.

Trust.

On the park, our players need to rediscover it a little. We’re all analysing the recent home results against so-called lesser teams tactically, statistically, and psychologically, but Saturday’s game maybe showed why that one word – trust – is central to the contrast between the sides in both games.

After the Swansea game, Kenny had this to say.

“Anything that we were good at, we certainly didn’t do too much of today… We usually do passing and movement, but there wasn’t a great deal of that, when we got it back we gave it away quickly and most of the times when we gave it back to them they got up the pitch quite well… The problems that are there are problems that we can solve ourselves. We’ll sort it behind closed doors. We can pass it a lot better than that. That’s certainly one thing we can work on, but we work on it every week.”

Contrast that with Wayne Routledge of Swansea FC after the same game. Not Lionel Messi, mind – Wayne Routledge.

“We’re not little old Swansea City anymore. Teams are seeing the way we play football and our beliefs and are giving us respect. We just have to keep doing that.”

Trust.

Under successive managers (and I’m no expert particularly, but certainly since Martinez was at their helm), Swansea City have committed as a club to a certain brand of football. They’ve recruited to fit its needs, their system is set up to allow it best to flourish, and they’re four years along that path, having committed to the approach throughout their entire set up. Why are they enjoying relative success? Well, trust.

A substitute takes the field for Swansea City, and when interviewed after the game, he uses the words “we just have to keep doing that”. What? Trusting in their approach, trusting each other with the ball, trusting their team mates to take up the slack when they’re out of position. Trust.

Meanwhile, flip the script to Liverpool FC’s part, and you’ll find Kenny making much the same references, albeit from the flip side of the same coin. He starts by making clear reference to what he believes we’re good at – pass and move football, and retaining the ball. The stuff the Swansea players were doing. He then said we’d sort it, but by doing what we already do every week. So what does that allude to? A blueprint that’s in place, recruitment that in the medium-to-long term will fit the needs of that approach. And, gradually, settling on the systems that will best allow the approach to flourish.

Swansea have trusted their process and are several seasons in. We saw the result of that on Saturday. Liverpool? Well, we’ve seen what happens when everything’s aligned properly. We saw Fulham away last season. We’ve seen a few glimmers of the same this season. At times the football’s been fluid and powerful, and against good sides to boot. But do we have what it takes to trust that it’ll flourish?

On the pitch, when we see a side like Barcelona play its football, we see footballing maestros manipulating the ball with one and two touches while under the most intense defensive pressure imaginable, and finding their team mates with the ball. And when their team mates receive the ball, it’s almost as if they prefer to be tightly marked, or ideally double-teamed, because they trust their own ability to move it on and take those opposing players out of the game. That disrupts their opponent and creates space and opportunity. And it’s all founded on trust.

And it’s easy to trust Xavi or Iniesta to control a ball when you ping it at them at speed, or to flick it into the stride of a runner in space, but it’s far less easy to trust Carles Puyol, Javier Mascherano or Victor Valdes. But they do – just watch them. Even the less able players are trusted and expected to play their game, and more often than not, they rise to that challenge and meet the expectation. That’s something intangible that compounds itself over time within a club. And it’s arguably what Swansea are enjoying right now to a far lesser extent.

Of course, they’re blessed with far less quality in their squad than most clubs, but the players they’ve assembled are all trusted and expected to do the simple things well, and to keep a disciplined shape that maintains the right kind of foundation. We saw a side on Saturday that played one-twos, that remained calm when under pressure, because they knew they could expect an open man who’d happily demand the ball from them. That pervaded their entire side. And it’s not down to world class ability; it’s down to trust. Commitment and trust.

In the first half Leon Britton could receive a difficult pass with two players closing him down in his own half, feign a forward movement, and let the ball run before completing an easy pass to the Swansea right back. Why? Because he could trust, when he did that, he’d have options available looking to give him an option for the pass. Is Leon Britton up there with Sergio Busquets? Well, no – obviously not – but when your system’s set up that way, and your players have that kind of expectation and mutual solidarity, it’ll tend to tick over nicely. It’s that mutual trust and confidence that founds their current position. If that breaks down – the individual and collective belief in their right to be where they are – only then will they run into problems. We saw hints of that near the end, as the teams fell into the more natural patterns expected of them, and Swansea retreated into their shells a little.

That confidence and mutual solidarity takes time to grow, and it’ll seldom grow in an uninterrupted linear way. The team will face challenges and it’ll need to respond. Will it always respond positively? Well, no – at least not in the early stages – the habitual positive response is something that takes years to bed into a club – it’s sense of itself – of who and what it is, and what it stands for – is something that takes time to fully establish (or in our case, to rebuild). It’s why Manchester United have for years now tended to win games in “Mr Alex Ferguson time” when they’ve next to no logical right to do so. They believe that things will be a certain way. When events unfold to the contrary, something often clicks into gear to restore what they believe to be the status quo. Self image is everything – both individually and collectively.

And if you can extend that to include your staff, your besuited decision makers, and last but not least, your fans, well – then you’re really on to something.

But it’s not all that easy.

The quote that opens this article is the perfect example. It reads like a lullaby – a soothing sugary stanza to make you feel safe in the witching hour. But pan back a little and you remember it’s taken from the Jungle Book at the point where Kaa the Python is trying to lull Mowgli to sleep, with a view to having him for a light supper.

Trust involves a leap of faith, and if you make the Koreshi style mistake of trusting the wrong fella and the wrong ideas to commit yourself to, then you’re in trouble.

So it all comes down to this – do you trust the men in charge to get it right? Do you trust the players to find the right patterns on the park?

I trust you do.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
Re: Trust
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 10:59:36 am »
Good article, hopefully some of our more impatient fanbase will read that.

Implementing a new philosophy throughout the club (which is effectively what we're doing) will take time. Trust and patience are massively important if we are to have any chance of realising the future that Kenny and the owners are working towards.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline shanks hankie

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 11:21:27 am »
I think in some ways Kenny is a victim of his own success? The type of football he had us playing last year (Chelsea, both Mancs, Fulham, just fantasitc to watch) along with the results he acheived had a lot of us, myself included, thinking that a real run for the league was a possibility (still might be but don't think so if I'm being honest) We're still bang on course for 4th, which I'm sure was the King's target all along. I trust the man, nothing will make that change, certainly not a nil all home result.
If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.” Shanks

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 11:32:10 am »
Good article, hopefully some of our more impatient fanbase will read that.

Ohhhhhhhhh do we have to? Can't someone just post a two line summary?

87:13

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 11:47:46 am »
Ohhhhhhhhh do we have to? Can't someone just post a two line summary?

I kinda already did, without particularly intending to.

Wait, have I just been 'whooshed'?  ;D
Twitter | Blog

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 11:55:06 am »
 ;)

If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 11:57:59 am »
/waits for the next article titled 'Patience'

Anyway, good read. I personally trust Kenny and have no problem giving him and the back room team a long time to implement their philosophy. Bumps along the way are to be expected, however annoying they may be.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 11:58:21 am »
;)

I blame Twitter. Damn them for training me to condense everything into one small, concise, paragraph.

And you've gone one step further and condensed it into a single sentence. Good effort  ;)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:00:03 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

Offline Roy of the rovers

• TORY Supporter - proof being he voted for Blair...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 12:07:56 pm »
Spot on...

Trust and faith are in short supply right now. But I absolutely agree it's a major issue...

royhendo

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 01:00:14 pm »
/waits for the next article titled 'Patience'

Guns N Roses already used that. Plus it's a pish card game.

Offline Junkle

• Stupid
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 01:21:22 pm »
I started this season trusting that we will finished higher than fourth.... Now only a true believer like Raga would claim that we are going to finish at least forth.
The weakest link in the team is our main man BR.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 01:28:53 pm »
is there a follow on about Stevie called Truss?
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 01:30:38 pm »
Seriously though the Podcast is well worth downloading even if you only want to match the voice with the poster in here!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 01:32:58 pm »
Love to hear Roy do it Ivor Cutler-style ;D

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 01:36:31 pm »
I started this season trusting that we will finished higher than fourth.... Now only a true believer like Raga would claim that we are going to finish at least forth.

think that shows you dont really understand the concept of trust 
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 01:39:18 pm »
i thought we would start slowly and get better and better as the season goes on.

So no surpises with what has happened so far then!

a box of chocolates is like a group of fans. U never know which type u gonna get!

what does that mean? i dont know.

boredom.

Great article though honestly. its true and will be as true now as it will be in May no matter where we are.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 01:55:35 pm »
Reminds me of something my dad says, look at all of barcas players, they play the passes even when its dead tight, they dont care because they know they are good enough to keep the ball even in them tight situations. Often watching liverpool, most players play the 'safe' pass. The one they know will get there, they seem afraid to play the ball in tight situations in vulnerable areas of the pitch. We need to overcome this fear if we are to truly establish ourselves as a top side.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 02:07:00 pm »
You can however have concerns but still trust the manager and team to get it right,the problem is have you got the patience to let them get it right

Offline Caligula_10

• Anny Roader
  • Support safe standing
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 02:42:11 pm »
I would have patience even if we were to finish 7th this season. I have full confidence in Kenny and wouldn't doubt him for a second. I just hope FSG feels the same way. It is my biggest concern at the moment.

Offline Red_Skippy

• Kopite
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 02:55:37 pm »
Trust will get you everywhere in life.  Through good and bad times if the trust is there then you will be ok without fail.

I'm only 34 and I trust that the red men wil get it going before too long....I expect to see a few titles and other such cups before I die because I trust. :)

Trust.  Such a funny work ain't it?  I love it! Trust!
I think I love football more than woman...

royhendo

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 03:19:21 pm »
Love to hear Roy do it Ivor Cutler-style ;D

;D

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 03:28:33 pm »
I'm tempted to put that into my sig. Well said!

Oh, excellent OP as well royhendo! :)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 03:35:24 pm »
;)

think that goes for the sad ***** who wanted rafa gone after a bad season   >:(
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 03:35:58 pm »
think that goes for the sad ***** who wanted rafa gone after a bad season   >:(

Oh great

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 03:37:34 pm »
Reminds me of something my dad says, look at all of barcas players, they play the passes even when its dead tight, they dont care because they know they are good enough to keep the ball even in them tight situations. Often watching liverpool, most players play the 'safe' pass. The one they know will get there, they seem afraid to play the ball in tight situations in vulnerable areas of the pitch. We need to overcome this fear if we are to truly establish ourselves as a top side.

I'm not sure you understand the point of the thread. There's plenty elsewhere for the internet managers to tell Kenny where he's going wrong with our style of football

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 03:52:37 pm »
Oh great

well its true even if you wont like to admit it.
that period in our history was shocking by our fans also
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 03:59:10 pm »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 09:12:18 pm »
Simple concept  but so hard for many of our fans to grasp, good op Roy sat there nodding.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 09:29:28 pm »
No, no, no Roy

Charlie Adam is fat, unfit, a shit tackler and always trying to play Hollywood balls

Andy Carroll is a donkey and we're a worse team when he's playing

Stewart Downing hasn't got any assists or goals

Jordan Henderson might come good

How can we trust Kenny after he's shamefully blown all our cash on mediocre British players?

Offline -RedTilDead-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 08:27:32 am »
There is a score to settle and I reckon Kenny wants to knock Ferguson off the bloody perch that we were knocked off last time.  It was 26 years since Man Utd had won the title when they won it in 1993, which was longer than our current drought, and they looked pretty average for their first few years under Ferguson as we continued to dominate ; but look where trust and patience in the right man got Man United.  It took Ferguson 7 years to win the title, yet some are doubting Kenny after 7 months as permanent manager.

You need to buy into the man Kenny Dalglish. If you are not sure about his qualities, or if his first spell in charge was before your time then go and read about him and what he has achieved.  I was only a youngster but he was my first true football hero.

I trust Kenny to give his all in trying to get us back to the top again, and everything he says in his interviews reinforces my trust. Equally I trust him to step aside when he doesn't feel he is the right man for the job any more and a couple of forgettable draws at home isn't about to change any of that.
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are." - Homer Simpson

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 09:12:38 am »
;)

I love Kenny and love the football style he has brought back, but this is the kind of cultism that is going to be bad, it is why you do not bring back a legend. It makes objectivity impossible.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

royhendo

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 09:36:08 am »
Wow. What a comment that is. Cultism?

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 10:43:39 am »
I love Kenny and love the football style he has brought back, but this is the kind of cultism that is going to be bad, it is why you do not bring back a legend. It makes objectivity impossible.
its a good job Mr Alex Ferguson was trusted by someone when united went  seven years without success when he first took over.
the thing with kenny is he has proved himself over the years and thats were the trust kicks in plus kenny is a very speacial fella off the pitch too.

can you imagine if Mr Alex Ferguson would have jibbed it years ago after a bit of success and then on trying to step back in,someone pops up with the (edit)cuntism theory?....hillarious
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:46:58 am by horne »
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2011, 11:16:01 am »
I would like to think there isn't anyone on here who would believe that Kenny isn't doing his absolute best for Liverpool football club because if they thought that then they should be given dog's abuse. Kenny will always do his best for Liverpool Football Club - FACT.

However, what some fans may question is whether Dalglish's best as a manager in the modern game is good enough to take Liverpool to the top end of the table again. That is something which fans should be allowed to discuss constructively and fairly IMO.

Earlier this season, I heard a caller on the phone in on LFC.tv after defeat to Spurs (I think) start their call with something along the lines of "I don't want to come on here and criticise Kenny because after all he is The King, but that performance was awful" which I must say worried me at the time. Just because the manager is loved by all doesn't mean he is above criticism, and like every manager before him he will and has made mistakes.

We all love the club, we all love our current manager Kenny Dalglish, and we all want us to be the best. But we all have different opinions on how the club can become the best and thats why these forums are so popular. As long as any argument put forward is fair and constructive then there shouldn't be a problem.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2011, 11:27:55 am »
We all love Kenny(obviously), but I think you may misunderstand the meaning behind what Barney says. To me, that statement indicates that Kenny will do whats best for the club, and I dare say that would include if things weren't working out with him in the post, so trust in him. He loves the club as a fan not just a manager, I think we all can see that and in return there is a level of support for him that could be perceived as cultism(cool word dat ;D) and with that there is an air of what he says goes, which it does, but not to the extremes that cultism would indicate.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2011, 01:14:24 pm »
We all love Kenny(obviously), but I think you may misunderstand the meaning behind what Barney says. To me, that statement indicates that Kenny will do whats best for the club, and I dare say that would include if things weren't working out with him in the post, so trust in him. He loves the club as a fan not just a manager, I think we all can see that and in return there is a level of support for him that could be perceived as cultism(cool word dat ;D) and with that there is an air of what he says goes, which it does, but not to the extremes that cultism would indicate.
I agree with the trust and patience part mate, but even talking about any decision he makes if gets you to be perceived as a heretic, it is not healthy. No one is saying start protests, it was despicable what happened after the Swansea game by a few idiots with the booing, but surely as fans we can discuss his decisions, and that does not mean we are questioning the man, even if he relegates us, he will be a legend for what he did post-Hillsborough.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Rormac

• Anny Roader
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 02:14:20 pm »
;)

yes, and it will be interesting to see the choices ;-)

Offline Rormac

• Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 02:16:39 pm »
I agree with the trust and patience part mate, but even talking about any decision he makes if gets you to be perceived as a heretic, it is not healthy. No one is saying start protests, it was despicable what happened after the Swansea game by a few idiots with the booing, but surely as fans we can discuss his decisions, and that does not mean we are questioning the man, even if he relegates us, he will be a legend for what he did post-Hillsborough.

'even if he relegates us'. 

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011, 05:43:34 pm »
'even if he relegates us'. 

what a strange comment ! 

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 05:54:00 pm »
I sometimes feel he could use his substitutes a bit earlier to give them more time to influence games, but that doesn't mean I don't trust him.