Author Topic: Reserves in Reverse Liverpool 1 - 6 Aston Villa  (Read 4797 times)

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
Reserves in Reverse Liverpool 1 - 6 Aston Villa
« on: November 1, 2004, 09:45:50 pm »
There was an attendance of about 300 at The Racecourse tonight, much of the pre-match chatter was about the sickening injury to Cissé and the somewhat tasteless reporting of the injury by all and sundry. Neil Mellor was playing and so not being considered for the Deportivo match, so tonight was a chance for him to make his mark.

I got my Bovril and in the absence of the programme man who'd "gone to away for the week" I managed to blag my very own copy of the team sheet on WAFC headed paper!

It started pretty well, despite Villa having an early free kick in a dangerous position, it came to nothing and Liverpool went straight from defence to attack. Potter slipped the ball through to Mellor who was about two yards onside but the referee blew up. 3 minutes later though the linesman got it right as Smyth timed his run well and was sent through by Foy. He ran a bit wide on his approach, but still managed to slip it to the side of the goalkeeper and in to the back of the net. A good start! I began to feel optimistic, especially safe in the knowledge that Villa hadn't won away all season.

Nothing much happened for the next five minutes, but I was kept amused by Vaclav Drobny the Villa right back, who is the most ungainly footballer I have ever seen. He just doesn't look right on the pitch. I have my suspicions that he won a competition of the radio with the prize being an outing for Villa Reserves.

On eleven minutes Partridge ran direct at the heart of the Villa defence, he drew a few players to him and the slipped it to Mellor running in from the right wing. He unleashed a powerful drive that beat the keeper but also hit the post and bounced out for a goal kick... It was all down hill from here.

This week’s horrific back pass belonged to Danny Smith. A cross field ball caught him a bit out of position. He made the ground back up but his header fell woefully short of Harrison. With Harrison out of position the ball was crossed to Whittingham who shot from only about 8 yards. A hand came out of nowhere and saved the ball. Unfortunately that hand belonged to Raven (Henchoz has taught him well), the referee spotted the indiscretion (but not that well) and pointed to the spot. Raven escaped with a booking and it was left to Luke Moore to coolly slot home to Harrison's left as he dived the other way.

A couple of minutes later Aaritalo was put through, but Harrison was off his line like lightening and saved well with his feet as he smothered the shot.

On 27 minutes though there was nothing he could do nothing. Again Aaritalo was put in on goal after a neat little interchange. He outstripped Mannix and slotted home as he was one on one with Harrison.

Just a minute later Aaritalo was again in acres of space and the cross found him but his header was lazy and looped over the bar.

Liverpool did manage to have an attack on the half hour. After some good passing Welsh crossed from the left and Mellor got in front of his man and glanced the ball aiming for the far corner. Unfortunately his effort got no further than the Ridgewell, the defender.

Not for the first time Aaritalo found himself in space and one on one with Harrison. This time he hit the post as the ball rebounded across the area Mannix stupidly dived in when there was no danger and gave away a penalty. Up stepped Luke Moore again. This time Harrison went the opposite way, but so did the ball - same result!

We needed something before half time, it was getting depressing. We nearly got something too, Smyth playing on the left wing beat his man and whipped in a dangerous cross. Mellor didn't make a good contact but his mis-kick nearly worked as the ball trickled towards the far corner but agonisingly wide.

Mellor and Foy linked up well in the first minute of the second half. It culminated in Foy having a crack with his left foot. He hit it well, but the angle was asking a lot and the keeper pushed behind for a corner. The corner was worked out to Raven who blasted high and wide from 25 yards.

A couple of minutes later Foley the Villa left back gained the distinction of being the only player I have ever seen that cleared The Kop with a shot (well done my son!). Whittingham almost extended the lead on 57 minutes and would have done except for some more excellent work by Harrison.

From the resulting corner Harrison was helpless as Ridgewell rose unmarked and nodded home. The temperature dropped 10 degrees immediately and I started to think about sitting next to my radiator! 4-1

Mellor again had a chance to pull one back a minute later. Partridge whipped in a hard and low centre which Mellor connected well with, but he hooked the ball slightly wide of the keeper's left post.

Again two minutes later Mellor shot when he should have slipped Partridge in, the deflection fell to Welsh whose pile-driver was stopped by the annoyingly vocal Ridgewell's ear (that made me feel slightly better).

A slip by Mannix on 75 minutes let Nix in. He crossed to Luke Moore and just as it looked like he'd sealed his hatrick Whitbread managed to get a foot in and deflect the ball away to safety. Disappointingly Whitbread's next contribution wasn't quite so positive. As a long ball was knocked through there was confusion between Whitbread and Harrison this resulted in Whitbread slotting home with aplomb from fifteen yards.

Liverpool's response was a thirty yard shot from Potter which missed by a good distance. "Dream on" came a comment from a guy behind me - it seemed pretty apt!

Just as I was locating my car keys and putting my pen away came unmarked header number two. Now I don't know about this zonal marking lark, but I think Villa were on a different time zone to our lot. They seemed to be on BST with us an hour behind on GMT!

6-1!! Embarrassing

MOM?

Who cares? I'd have to give it to Harrison I think, he wasn't at fault for any goal and made a few very good saves.

Team: Harrison, Mannix, Smith, Raven, Whitbread, Potter, Partridge (sub 86 Guthrie), Welsh, Mellor, Foy, Smyth

© Adam S 2004
« Last Edit: November 2, 2004, 12:18:38 am by Ben S »
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
Re: Reserves in Reverse Liverpool 1 - 6 Aston Villa
« Reply #1 on: November 1, 2004, 09:51:06 pm »
Will move it to the front page later once iv read it if your ok with that.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #2 on: November 1, 2004, 09:53:25 pm »
Okay with that? I'll have to phone my mum and tell her :D
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #3 on: November 1, 2004, 09:57:56 pm »
I don't like Bovril.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #4 on: November 1, 2004, 10:02:52 pm »
Jesus that's a fucking disgrace as far as I'm concerned. Remember getting beat 6-0 at City a couple of years ago but 6-1 at home? Reserves or not, those lads need to take a long hard look at themselves and think about who they are representing. If were not careful, the ressies will be relegated this year.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 1, 2004, 10:33:39 pm »
Cheers for the report.

But wtf were the boys doing? 1-6?!

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
  • Can't get his avatar's boobs to jiggle.
« Reply #6 on: November 1, 2004, 10:35:12 pm »
Benitez out.

8)
A travesty of a sham of a mockery.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #7 on: November 1, 2004, 10:35:56 pm »
I was very disappointed with Mellor. Considering Cissé's injury you'd think he's be tearing about all over the place trying to impress, but he looked lazy and his body language just doesn't impress (I know that's not an exact science, but he just didn't impress me)

Offline Rashid

• 99% of posts are bullshit, the other 1% get deleted. Unloved, unwashed, and untidy.
  • Main Stander
  • Resident Dog
« Reply #8 on: November 1, 2004, 10:38:00 pm »
Problem is that the first team is so thread bare that Rafa cannot risk anyone in the reserves.

Offline AK47

• Needs to get a manly man's room. Grrrr.
  • Kopite
  • So it's on and on and on, it's Heaven and Hell
« Reply #9 on: November 1, 2004, 10:57:42 pm »
Problem is that the first team is so thread bare that Rafa cannot risk anyone in the reserves.

Think we took all 1st team squad to Spain for the Deportivo game, so no fringe first teamers (Warnock, Potter, Diao, Biscan etc) available to bolster the reservers.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #10 on: November 1, 2004, 11:00:16 pm »
Potter played, but you're right about the others.

The thing is, I think you could stick a couple of decent players in this team and they'd struggle to stand out. :-\

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
« Reply #11 on: November 1, 2004, 11:33:15 pm »
Stuffed by ManU reserves (who were held to a draw by mighty WBA this week) Stuffed by Villa.

Make all the excuses you want, but there are lots of names on the teamsheet that belong to the "should make the grade" category.

There used to be two attitudes to playing in the "stiffs"
1. Sulking because I have to because I've been dropped.
2. Playing my heart out because I want to make it to the 1st team.

It would appear that there were none from either category in this match.

Perhaps there's a new category:-
3. Turn up because of a Contractual obligation (won't get paid if I don't show up)

Seriously, if this is the best that our brave new hopefuls can do then its time to ship out and start again.
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline coltmanaman

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: November 1, 2004, 11:53:10 pm »

Seriously, if this is the best that our brave new hopefuls can do then its time to ship out and start again.

Couldn't agree more.

Lets start with mellor & partridge.  Lets face it these two have enough time to try and establish themselves as 1st team players yet have failed miserably.  partrifge has been unfortunate with injuries BUT it's a hrash world out there & if you can't stay fit for more than 10 minutes i suggest a different career.

I witnessed Arsenal's reserves play city in the carling cup the other week & all i can say is that the gulf between them & our lot is huge.  I don't particularly care that they were brought from foreign fields - the touch, technique & ability they showed was a different class.   It'stime to wake up & smell the coffee - the local lads arent as good as they used to be/ they aren't as many coming through.   

Offline cynicaloldgit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 2, 2004, 12:01:56 am »
Perhaps Rafa should have vrought his reserve team from Valencia with him, too? Sadly, it doesn't look as though any of our youngsters are going to be pushing for a first-team spot just yet, if recent results are anything to go by.

"You can always lie to others, but never to yourself."

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 2, 2004, 08:49:41 am »
It happens - it wasn't so much a reserve team as a youth-team graduates team. As noted, there were no experienced players out there.

Villa won the FA Youth Cup a couple of seasons back. Our youth team hasn't produced any 'gems' for a while. Warnock is the best, but he's 22 and has played 100 games on loan.

Let's not forget Potter's undoubted promise, or Whitbread's great game at Millwall. So ditching them all is not the way forward. I doubt more than two of this bunch will get close to being first team regulars - and possibly none, as there are no 'certainties' in the Gerrard/Owen mould.

Our results at U18 level are distressing, but I assume Rafa is changing the tactics from top to bottom, and that might take the kids more getting used to than the experienced pros (especially as many of them, such as Alonso and Garcia, have grown up in that kind of environment in terms of football style).

Stephen

« Reply #15 on: November 2, 2004, 05:28:21 pm »
No offence but I am a Villa fan.  Nice website by the way. I only came on here cos a couple of websites stated that our team consisted of regular first-teamers.  That clearly isn't so as I will show:

Our reserve team consists mostly of the FA Youth Cup winning team.  Our Youth team is the best in the country bar none.  Arsenal's reserve team is probably the best but we won the FA Reserve League last year.

However, these players who represented us are mostly under 19, with three exceptions.  Whittingham, Luke Moore and Postma have played less than 25 first team games between them.  Liam Ridgewell is 19 and has played about ten first team games.  He is coming back from a broken leg.

We have a few really good young players, but most are now in the first team squad (eg Ridgewell, Luke Moore, Whittingham, Steven Davis, etc).  A couple played last night but you were beaten by our under 18 squad - but as I said no offence.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 2, 2004, 10:15:42 pm »
Can Hughie McAuley be sacked because the reserves are doing shite?
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #17 on: November 2, 2004, 10:20:55 pm »
Can Hughie McAuley be sacked because the reserves are doing shite?

They can gently push him into a different role like they did to Joe Corrigan a few years ago and as they also did to Sammy Lee further back when he almost managed the reserves to relegation.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 2, 2004, 10:25:12 pm »

They can gently push him into a different role like they did to Joe Corrigan a few years ago and as they also did to Sammy Lee further back when he almost managed the reserves to relegation.

Oh rite  ;) Cheers. That one hit with Sammy Lee and one big miss with Joe Corrigan  :D
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline StephenWrexhamFC

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2004, 10:27:37 am »
Has anyone got the reserve fixtures to hand?

I've not been to any of the games this season through one thing and another, hoping to go to a couple of games though (providing the ground is still here in a few months!)

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2004, 12:28:13 pm »
Has anyone got the reserve fixtures to hand?

I've not been to any of the games this season through one thing and another, hoping to go to a couple of games though (providing the ground is still here in a few months!)
Mon Nov 22: Leeds United (A)
Mon Nov 29: Middlesbrough (H)

Tue Dec 7: Manchester City (A)
Tue Dec 14: Nottingham Forest (A)

Mon Jan 10: Blackburn Rovers (H)
Wed Jan 19: Sunderland (A)
Mon Jan 24: Birmingham City (H)

Mon Feb 7: West Bromwich Albion (A)
Mon Feb 14: Newcastle United (H)
Tue Feb 22: Everton (A)
Mon Feb 28: Manchester United (H)

Mon Mar 7: Bolton Wanderers (A)
Tue Mar 22: Aston Villa (A)
Tue Mar 29: Wolverhampton Wanderers (A)
Wed Apr 6: Leeds United (H)

:wave

Offline StephenWrexhamFC

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2004, 10:41:16 pm »
Monday February 28th is a must attend game I will put it in my calendar now!

Cheers Adam

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2004, 01:55:34 pm »
Monday February 28th is a must attend game I will put it in my calendar now!

Cheers Adam

It's my Birthday too so you can buy me a pint!