Author Topic: #GERRARD8: A true hero  (Read 4188 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
#GERRARD8: A true hero
« on: May 22, 2015, 06:36:07 pm »
What do you want from your heroes? 1. Victory in the face of insurmountable odds , carrying the weight of the defeated and urging them onto victory and 2. Flaws.

Steven Gerrard is more than a football player, he's more than a hero, his very nature and career is a reflection of the plain reality of life. He's the greatest because he wasn't the greatest. He's a metaphor for life and us and Liverpool and I don't care how pretentious that sounds.

Heroic? lets look at it.

1.  Victory in the face of insurmountable odds, and carrying the ordinary onto great things.

Certainly for us as Liverpool fans, perhaps all football fans, the last minute screamer, the winning, stunning goal at the very death, when all is lost, gives us the goosebumps, the elation, the throat wrenching roar, far more often that the 4-0, the 5-0. The Olympiakos 3-1 win in 2005 is a greater game than the 4-0 win over Madrid when looked at in the safety of retrospective emotional comfort.  I'd argue that goal against West Ham moves me more than his Istanbul header. Perhaps merely because of when it came in the game.Think of St Etienne and Davey F, history retold a thousand times. No-one talks of the Grasshopper 6-1 aggregate win that campaign, but everyone knows of the carrot topped mental moment. Like Olympiakos, when all was seemingly lost, up Gerrard pops and does the business. The never -say -die, the pushing on, the playing to the very last second, he expected it and engendered that philosophy in the dressing room. You saw teams looking when he came on, you felt the lift he gave us, never mind the wonder goals, it was a tackle, a moment, a feeling and presence that he had that emanated across the green. Here was a big player and now you had to deal with it.

My favourite personal last gasp saving moment is the West Ham goal. We were beaten and a bit shite and tired and he was cramped and knackered and it was injury time. Everything Hollywood wants for the glorious moment of last minute redemption. The goal was a fuck you goal. Fuck you, we're not getting beaten. West Ham lost the cup that very second.

Hamann says he things Gerrard had more impact on the Liverpool team than even Dalglish when playing. Certainly Gerrard played in more mediocre teams than Kenny did. And certainly I've always though strikers were too selfish to be part of a wider team, to let their energy flow to the other players. Stevie on the other hand encouraged, urged, cajoled, shouted and bollocked and demonstrated exactly what he expected and wanted. Let me remind you, Djimi Traore won a Champions League medal with us. Igor Biscan played that campaign. Need I go on? (Igor kill!)

Gerrard is a hero because he lived by his exacting standards on the pitch and took by elemental force, the rest of the team with him. He is a political animal off the field, in interviews and so on, but on the pitch, he dragged us over the line so many times. So many.

2. Flaws.

Seriously, Messi, and Pele, don't they sound a little, well, bland? Brilliant and I wish we'd had them, but Liverpool fans want their players to be real. To be part of them, one of them. There's something not quite right about the superhero who has no chink in his armour. Superman (an alien admittedly but lets not get hung up about this) has his kryptonite, Batman his demons, they all, at times, fall. They fail, they succeed sure eventually but the climb up the hill boys is not without stumble.

Gerrard is more the man and the hero to me because of his slip, because he gets sent off, because you think it'll all work out right but then at the last moment reality and life butts in. Look at the Crystal Palace game, his last at Anfield, beaten by the better side we were that day. No Disney send off. Last season's emotional ending, so hard its still raw with me. It hurts. He was so close and the slip and what followed must have really cut him to the bone. But you know what? It makes his successes and talent all the more astonishing, real, and hard fought and hard won. Gerrard wanted things so badly he would never be a pushover, ask anyone in a club wanting different music on the jukey. You felt his pain. He was a kid from the streets who made it big and just when we thought he would let us down and leave Liverpool, he stayed. Largely because of his dad. Compare that to I don't know, pick a footballer at random like Raheem Sterling. Utter. Worlds. Apart.

The metaphor for life is real. Just when you think it'll be a perfectly happy ending, just when you think everything is in place and all avenues for potential fuck ups have been explored and ruled out, something you don't expect pops up and knees you in the balls.

By anyone's calculation, Gerrard's honours are lengthy and massive. And even if we had taken the league title, I'd have still written the same thing. He was the kind of player who reminds us, its a working class lads game at heart. Its about a club and its fans.  Feelings, not facts. And in these days of completely the opposite, sanitised FIFA sponsored blandness and billionaires buying leagues, we need to cling onto that. How does the song go about being the best fans in the world but if we lose? Gerrard's all that and more. He is a reminder of what Liverpool is, of what it ought to be and what life is really like. He was one of us, only a lot fucking better at football.

We will miss the hero for more reasons than on the field skill alone.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 08:43:10 am by Rhi »
Yep.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gerrard: A true hero.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 08:26:57 pm »
Excellent Hinesy, it's practically impossible to separate his numerous important goals, all roads lead to trophy's.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 12:11:24 am »
Cheers John
Yep.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 06:28:26 am »
Great read, Hinesy.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
Re: #GERRARD8: A true hero
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 08:52:00 am »
Great read, but I disagree somewhat. I don't think other players - the Messi ilk - are without their chinks. It's just that their strengths in certain parts are more glaring and their weaknesses were hidden.

Gerrard never had anywhere to hide. For most of his career, if he didn't make it happen...it didn't happen. He could rarely just sit back and dictate the game at arms length like a Scholes because it'd mean we'd probably draw or lose that game. He had to be everything and anything.

If we had won last season...it would have just been utterly ridiculous. A Hollywood story. He's already won everything else in romantic, dreamy, fashion but from 7th to 1st, 25 years wait, the Hillsborough anniversary....it would have been nuts. Just imagining what the open bus celebrations would have been like put me in a bit of depression.

I read a recent article that put it the right way: Gerrard was always compared to a comic hero...it seems somewhat fitting that just like them he also had that 1 flaw. And despite it all...I wouldn't have traded him for any player in the history of the game. I just don't think they could have done what he did. A lot of those feats required more than just amazing ability, but also amazing heart.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 11:28:17 am »
Agree mate. Very good post.
Yep.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 02:51:08 pm »
BUMP

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 05:13:15 pm »
Great..great player.

Still behind King Kenny though.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 06:15:25 pm »
Brilliant read that Hinesy, said better than anyway I could. He was an utter colossus and legend and is easily able to stand amongst the very best this game has seen.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 06:27:40 pm »
Bang on Hinesy.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 06:45:45 pm »
Absolute boss read that. I so agree about the chink in the armour - we need heroes, and you're not a hero just "for not being scared", you're a hero for taking something by the scruff of the neck regardless of personal fear. Remember the meff at school whose personal superhero was flawless? Nobody liked him and gave him digs at lunchtime. We love our heroes to be human.

Stevie is boss BECAUSE we live in a flawed reality, because he's "just" a man. But what a man, la. It makes his talent, personality, and achievements even more totemic because he has to play by the same rules as the rest of us. He's human and still reached dizzying heights that few others ever can (and even the other greats in the game - sure they've loved, but are they one club men? Are they PASSIONATELY loved, or just loved because they're great?)

YNWA Stevie
 8)

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 07:00:37 pm »
Great read Hinesy!

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 07:02:35 pm »
He was one of us, only a lot fucking better at football.

All of your post was great, but I particularly liked this

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 08:12:09 pm »
Brilliant from our Daniel:

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 08:17:04 pm »

Stuff

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8d8h1lbzoHY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8d8h1lbzoHY</a>

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 08:35:39 pm »
I'll say more another time but for now my summing up is the same as the day he played his last game for us:

#.8 My captain, my hero, my idol. Thank you Stevie from the bottom of my heart for all the great memories.
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline redbairn

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 02:19:51 pm »
Superb read. Was great watching his full career, feels a bit strange now its all over bu suppose that was the case when he left for LA.

Offline rich87

• Justice for the 96
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 02:30:49 pm »
Brilliant from our Daniel:

Respect to Sturridge. Lovely words. Couldn't put it much better than that myself